Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Gay / Lesbian Cruising

Gay / Lesbian Cruising Gay and Lesbian Cruiser's Discussion

Old October 2nd, 2007, 03:59 PM
Familiar Face

Default Be what you is

Half the fun is being who you are and meeting all the other like-minded folks onboard. Really: every cruise I've taken has resulted in meeting ten to thirty gay folks, rearranging of dinner seating to be together, Friends of Dorothy parties and so on. And guess what: The crew and other passengers have never been a problem. I don't even recall ever getting a dirty look.

Reminds me of an old Cajun saying: 'Be what you is; even if you's old and ugly, then be old and ugly, but be what you is.'
Old October 4th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Beginner

I see this is an ancient thread going back to 2005 as it does but surely if we've learned anything in the past couple of years it's the absurdity of being in the closet. Larry Crain's wide stance and insistence that he wasn't gay was truly a watershed moment when you realize that that by hiding your sexuality you end up some pathetic old man in a john stall trolling for public sex. Please do yourself a favor and come out come out wherever you are so people can see how normal, moral and unthreatening we are.
Old November 21st, 2007, 06:06 PM
Beginner

Reading this thread has been a great deal of fun. And surprisingly emotional. It is heartwarming to see responses from so many long term couples! It has helped remove some of the trepidation I have been having pre-cruise. I'm going to be traveling with a guy that I've been dating for a shot while. We're taking a predominantly straight cruise soon. We chose a straight cruise over a gay cruise as a first outing (no pun intended!). Not that we aren't interested in an all-gay cruise. Just not right now.

We're still both single and taking our time getting to know one another We felt that this particular cruise was the right place at the right time, and the right length. It offers us a chance to spend some quality time together and further develop a bond. It offers activities, social interaction, and new experiences for us both. And it offers opportunities to be alone together. We thought it mixed things up nicely.

I think many straight couples understand and accept - and admire long term committed gay couples. So I guess our tablemates are going to learn that courtship is also part of our world too - even at our age and stage. We're in our 40's. And we've both been in long term relationships in the past.

I agree with the earlier post-er who felt that people are interested in interesting people...people who have lived, loved, and experienced life and are willing to share and open up with others.

I'm looking forward to this cruise a great deal! Thank you all for your encouraging tales. Keep them coming. I hope to have a good tale to tell myself when I get back.
Old November 23rd, 2007, 08:53 PM
Beginner

It's great that so many people have had such positive experiences. My partner and I have been on only one previous cruise (a short trip last year to Key West and the Yucatan), and it provided a more mixed reaction. We sat at a table of six. At dinner the first night, one couple looked as if we were from another planet. That they were uncomfortable is an understatement. They requested a different table and we never saw them again.

I don't know if it was because we are a gay, or because we're an interracial couple, or because one of us is older than the other, or just because we're New Yorkers! But those two table-mates were definitely not the welcoming kind.

Luckily, we don't need the approval of others to make us feel worthy of respect. So we just let it roll of our backs. And we had a great time getting to know the two other people left at our table--two women from the Bahamas, who were on holiday. They were great travel-mates, and we all looked forward to catching up over dinner each day. Likewise, all of the staff seemed cool with our relationship--although the photographer for our formal shot seeemed a little clueless.

In fact, we enjoyed ourselves so much, that we're sailing on December 1 (next week!) on the Triumph for the Southern Caribbean. Hopefully, we'll meet some cool people again this cruise (we're a bit nervous since a big NASCAR group is also on that sailing, and no gay folk have responded to our Roll Call on this board). But, whatever happens, we won't let the reactions of others spoil our hard-earned vacation!

Old December 5th, 2007, 10:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to CM Rob
Default Son?

Few years back when I was just 21, I went on the Carnival Triumph, I was sitting at a card table with my now x partner who was latino and in his late 30's, The lady next to him, who was at least 60 asked " is that your son" he responed with "no hes my boyfreind" I thought she was going to have a heat attack right there at the table. I am not big on PDA or even flaunting my sexuality but I never lie or deny who or what I am. The most important thing is how you feel and how safe you are. If your cruise ship stops in Egypt or Turkey I wouldnt walk the streets holding my partners hands, gotta be aware of where you are.

Sea of Cortez - American Safari
Old December 17th, 2007, 05:27 AM
david30101

Ive been on approx. 17 cruises since 1998, Im single, never been married, I normally travel with family (sister, brother in law, parents, etc). So I always sit with them at a table. The gay thing never comes up..Im more of a BI curious type. I like women, but seem to attract guys. Most people on a cruise "assume" i may be gay since i like to wear short shorts that show alot of leg and walk around in a speedo. I ve even had a few encounters with crew members, including the cruise director on the Glory..Met him in the gym sauna. Expecially the saunia steam room where the other person will let you know he is interested..If you know what i mean. Overall only 1% has ever asked if i was gay..A 16 yo kid was one of them, kept eyeing me at the pool and was following me around the deck a few times. He was gay. Look at it this way..
You will NEVER see these people again....
Old January 3rd, 2008, 12:31 AM
Beginner

I am thrilled to read all of these positive postings in advance of my first cruise in just a few days! Being from Canada, issues of sexuality are really just not important anymore. it's been years since we've had the right to adopt and marry. No one cares! However, i will admit slight trepidation about Non-canadians who might not share our liberal ideals who could be aboard this ship. Now, my feelings are unfounded and I am confident that no problems will arise. Funny thing...my partner is a cop (and a pretty hot one at that, IMO!). I'm constantly amazed at people who are uncomfortable being around a cop, yet more than comfortable being around a gay man...! See my point?
Old January 7th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Beginner

As "nevercruisedbefore" stated earlier I am also happy to see/read all the positive experiences folks have had on their cruises. We are also from Canada and have been together for 11 years and LEGALLY married for 3 years, in fact this is our Wedding Anniversary gift to each other this year. He is also correct that in Canada it has largely become such a non-issue that sometime we (Canadians) can be over confident and under-estimate the rest of the globe when it comes to GLBT issues.

My husband and I are going on our first cruise on the Carnival Legend on the 27th of this month (January) and I am looking forward to it more now after reading this forum.

Our travel agent even encouraged us to place on our cruise forms that this was an "Anniversary Cruise" for us and hopefully we will be treated with the same respect that any straight couple who would be celebrating an occasion would be.

The only thing that I am still a little wary on is the seating at dinner as our travel agent advised us that it would be better for us to sit at a large table than a smaller one. The logic being that we might enjoy ourselves more with more (hopefully) diverse people than being stuck with only 1 other couple who may or may not accept us.

If there is anyone else here who is also going to be on this cruise send me a reply and my husband and I will meet up with you and your partner on the ship for a drink.
Old January 10th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Beginner

My partner and I have been together 9 years. We just returned from the 7 day Mexican Riviera cruise on the Dawn Princess. We went with 2 other gay couples. All together there was about 20 gay guys on the cruise.

It was very obvious that we were 3 couples, especially when the couples wore matching tuxes on New Years eve. By the end of the cruise, we were dancing with each other comfortably. Yes, we got a few stares, but all in all, no problems at all.

Go and be yourself.
Old January 15th, 2008, 11:13 PM
Passenger

Well let me tell you about an experience I had on the Splendour of the Seas. The handsome tall man sitting next to me in the sauna knew I was gay and I knew he was gay and mercy sakes alive....it was rockin 10 days on that ship.!!!
Old January 17th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to melandlauren

exactly.
not to sound too naive but it IS 2008. aside from the fact that there is nothing wrong with being gay, no one has any right to have a problem with you and certainly not to give you a hard time in any way. AND you have paid for your cruise too, just like anyone else there, so enjoy it and be yourself.

that said, the dinner seating is the only thing i ever think about. but, like someone else said here - if someone has a problem they will most likely have themselves re-assigned to a different table the next night and you will be left with good company. nobody wants awkward dinner conversation (or lack thereof!) for 5... 7... 10 nights!!

i'm definitely looking forward to whatever FOD meetings are posted, and meeting other gay and gay-friendly passengers onboard... maybe even dinner buddies.... but, i mean, really... how homophobic could my cruise possibly be? ...one of the ports is Key West! yay!

just be yourself, stay safe, and HAVE FUN! it's your vacation!