Old December 27th, 2003, 10:25 PM
Maxie

Default Re: Re: Terrible Cruise on Century

I also was on the cruise that Norman mentioned. While each of us has their own opinion of what transpired here are some facts.

The first breakfast served in the dining room the morning after we sailed was just dreadful. The dining crew was not ready for the onslaught of passangers wanting to be served . They believed that a good majority was going to the buffett . Normally the upstairs dining room is open for breakfast and lunch but upper and lower were almost filled to capacity. Mr.Ryan, the asst. maitre d' who was not on duty, told me that he received a phone call saying " DINING ROOM!! and that meant he had " trouble in river city". No coffee service, no bread trays, meals came out cold, when the finally arrived...
Basically, they were not ready...

Lunch in the dining room was adequate, no bells or whistles. The buffett was just so so. Service there was poor. Half of the food stations was closed causing massive lines on those that were open. Usually there are staff to carry trays to the tables but almost none to be found, Tables were not cleaned in a timely fashion and if you asked for something, it was usually answered in a rude manner. Yes, I also sailed many times with Celebrity and I compare this trips service with what has been in the past.. and there is a tremendous difference,

Dinners were a 5 out of 10..Our waiter was top notch as was his helper. They went out of their way to make us feel at home. But, the food was poor. They prime rib and NY strip steak was so tough, a steak knife couldn't cut through. Asking for a veal chop was out of the question. On Tuesday night (we sailed late Saturday) the waiter told us that there we could not have shrimp cocktails any longer because they were "saving it for Thursday, Captain's night". And lo and behold, several tables were being served shrimp. Well, you should have seen the uproar from those who were not served. Mr.Ryan had to put on his fireman's hat to quell the storm.

We had a table for 8, and the main course did not come out at the same time for all. Yes, the service on Celebrity has come way down from what it was.

Leaving the ship on the last morning was a total disaster, Absolutely no organization from the crew. My opinion, they did not care "as they said it was a club cruise and so what"..Celebrity must get its act together or they will lose more than they will gain. Word travels fast and there are many other lines out there vying for our business.

There are many opinions on this message board , some in agreement and some not.
Good luck .
Old December 28th, 2003, 07:57 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Terrible Cruise on Century

Just to chime in, the Century's PA system is almost non existent. God forbid there was a real emergency, no one would be able to hear the announcements. They need to fix this problem quickly.
Old December 28th, 2003, 09:56 PM
First Mate

Ann, I am sure if there was an emergancy the PA system would be quite satisfactory. We sailed the Connie in November and had a great time: I do still consider Celebrity a mass market line just like most of the others and didn't think it was quite as spectacular as we expected, but certainly almost everything from the friendly crew to the food was average or better. We would certainly sail Celebrity again if the price was right. I believe the more we all cruise the more we expect. All cruises are fun with rare exception and when you stop having fun you need to find another form of vacation.

Nita
Old December 28th, 2003, 11:11 PM
Rickster

I usually don't get involved in these food discussions, but here it goes. I agree with Kuki, don't place a whole lot of stock in some of the comments in regards to cuts in food. (Of course this is my humble opinion.) We just returned from the 11/30/03 Millie cruise and the food was just as good, if not better than our 11/29/03 Mercury cruise, and the food and service was just as good if not better than our 3/2001 Century cruise!

Our waiter was just great. He brought cheese cake for me every evening, not to mention extra sides of everything, this guy was awesome. Tablemates enjoyed shrimp cocktail every evening. In regard to cutbacks with rack of lamb, I felt the rack of lamb was better in the main dining room compared the the rack of lamb in the Olympic that I had a day or two earlier!

So I don't know where some of these ideas are coming from. I didn't notice any so-called "cutbacks." Of course I didn't go looking for trouble and some people would complain if they were hung with a new rope.

I did mention to my wife that we are so fortunate to have cruised seven times and every cruise just keeps getting better and better! I guess we are blessed to be able to enjoy such a great way to vacation! So blessed that we will be sailing on the Century in about 60 days!
Old December 29th, 2003, 10:03 AM
First Mate

Funny how Norman drops this bomb on us...and does not return...Did any of you notice this? Is he on a cruise? Why did he just leave one post? I think he stated he would not return to Princess to...Norm your running out of Cruiselines Buddy!

Michael

PS I hope you are ok Norm
Old December 29th, 2003, 11:39 AM
Evelyn Richardson

I am going on the "Horizon" Jan 19th, and I will try to post a factual report on my return.

I switched to Celebrity after making 10 cruises with Crystal. My last cruise with Crystal was as bad as this report on Celebrity "Century", yet Crystal is always touted as "THE Luxury line", I had very rude admin staff, food that did not arrive, dishes that were the complete opposite of that on the menu, (raspberries became blueberries for instance) only one very small sausage amd two miserable halves of tomatoes for breakfast ("the kitchen has run out of food" - this on Crystal !!!!!)

A ship is only as good as any of its parts, with Crystal it was evident the staff had suffered cut backs and changes (the experienced ones going over to the new ship)
and the new CEO was a "bean counter" before his promotion, and he still is! Perhaps this happened with Century.

The port calls on my Jan 19th trip have been changed, and times in port altered, but I am still looking forward to the trip, especially San Juan, (the cathedral is well worth a visit) Nassau (try to see the Junkanoo floats museum) and Key West.
Old December 29th, 2003, 11:54 AM
Uncmarts

I don't think this is the same "Norm".
Old December 29th, 2003, 12:13 PM
First Mate

Oh boy my mistake...thought he was the same guy...

Michael
Old December 29th, 2003, 01:35 PM
Frank

Default Re: Re: Re: Terrible Cruise on Century

Evelyn:
Now you've got me really concerned. I find it as difficult to believe that Crystal could fall down on the job as many others couldn't believe the experiences some were having on Celebrity. I'm not saying your exagerating, only that I'm saddened to hear about your experience. Did you send their management a letter about this? I'd love to know what their response was. When we were on Crystal, some of the officers gave us their cards that had their email IDs on them so one could directly feed back any information. And after returning home, one of the officers that we dined with, sent us a personal letter with some nice words which I realize was probably sent to many, but it was a nice, classy touch.
Frank-in-CA
Old December 29th, 2003, 08:23 PM
Familiar Face

I was on the 12/13 sailing of the Century, too. My experience was equally as bad as 'Norman's' but for different reasons. Celebrity had marketed the cruise as a retirement thing and more than 90% (I'm serious) of the pax were 65 yrs old and older. These were not nice vintage older adults: they were the most pushey, demanding and obnoxious crowd I've ever seen (Norman?). They spent no money and I'm sure, tipped very little. I felt as if I were an unwelcome guest in someone else's club. The disco was non-existant for the entire cruise and any activity or shore excursion that required any kind of physical effort was cancelled. This was a real Twilight Zoner, I'll tell ya. I have written Celebrity: I think they were very wrong to not tell me at the time of my booking that this cruise was targeting a specific group.

As to being late and skipping ports: Norman is full of do-do. We were slightly late to San Juan (a couple of hours) because one of the geezers got very sick and had to be off-loaded in Tortola en route. We weren't late to Nassau.

The ship was fine: clean, neat -- the crew was exceptional, given the rudeness of the passengers. And the food was generally excellent (I admit: there were moments. . . ).

Will I cruise Celebrity again? Yes. In fact I'm already booked on a gay cruise on the Millennium this summer. Gee . . . I sure hope Celebrity tells Bill and Millie from Minneapolis that it's a specially targeted cruise when they call to book!

Post Edited (12-29-03 19:29)
Old December 29th, 2003, 08:29 PM
Norman

Hi Michael:

No, I didn't disappear. I am enjoying every moment on this board. Such diversification of opinions. So far, 46 -- one way or another.
I did not mention anything about Princess at all in my post. And, I am not running out of cruiselines either.

What this all comes down to is the individual vessel you sail on. I do believe that those who sailed on Connie, Mille, Mercury all had a great time, one way or the other. I am not judging Celebrity overall with their cutbacks, but I do believe it is happening on the older ships as the Century..the one I was on in December.

No, I will not return to this ship again until I see positive posts.

Keep them coming....