Old August 21st, 2003, 02:17 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Rachel
Default Cave Tubing in Belize

For those of your that have been on this excursion I have a question. I read on the Carnival website that the tour is appox 6 1/2 hours long. Do you have time to do other things since this takes up a lot of time? I have also read you have to take a tender to the island which takes more time. I want to do a little shopping in each port of call. I am just wondering will we be pressed for time. It says on the itinerary that we are there for 9 hours.

Thanks for your help,

Rachel
Old August 21st, 2003, 02:28 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Cave Tubing in Belize

Rachel,
We did the ships tour and had plenty of time. The ride out there is about an hour as well as the ride back but on the ride back they stop for lunch which is included in the price of the tour. They drop you off right back at the dock where there is a shopping area which I do recommend. The prices are very good there. Wandering around Belize City itself away from the port isn;t that great an idea and there isn;t really anything there for tourists anyway. All the good shopping is right there at the pier.
Jim

Old August 21st, 2003, 05:15 PM
jamie gunter

We went on the tour, but used a independent tour. We got back before the ships tour. We used Reggies Cave Tubbing. We had time to shop at the small shopping area they have at the pier. There is not alot of shopping, and they dont suggest that you go out on your own, and past the shopping area. Have a great time, it is a one time experience that you will really enjoy.
Old August 21st, 2003, 05:19 PM
MichelleM

We also went with Reggie's cave tubing while in Belize. The shopping at the pier is basic tourist shopping stuff, t-shirts, magnets, ect. We had plenty of time to do the shopping we wanted and get back to the ship. It is a longer tender ride in then in other ports but not bad.
Old August 22nd, 2003, 09:16 AM
Bill Forbes

Just wondering the difference in price between the independent and ship tours

Bill Forbes
Old August 22nd, 2003, 11:55 AM
MichelleM

Reggie is about $20 less per person then Carnival's excursion and they tube on the same river.
Old August 22nd, 2003, 04:31 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Cave Tubing in Belize

Michelle,
Does Reggie provide a lunch at a restaurant on the return? I did the ships tour and was very happy but know others liked Reggie very much as well. The ships tour is slightly more but that may be accountable because the lunch partly. Also you have to figure if the ships tour is delayed for any reason the ship will wait or get you back to the ship somehow whereas Reggie...well you will be waving at the pier. <G> Not going to bad-mouth any private excursions as we sometimes take them as well, but we understand the possible consequences.
Jim

Old August 23rd, 2003, 08:33 AM
Passenger

Reggie's doesn't provide lunch as the cruise take you to Cheers for lunch, I just came back this week from the Carnival Inspiration, with Reggie you have an option to stop for lunch at this little place for a chicken and rice dinner it's comes with a soda or a beer if you like, Belikin Beer (from Belize) that was $6. Reggie hasn't missed a ship in over 4-5 years. The one good thing I'd have to say about going with Reggie is that there's only 10 in your group and there's 2 guides, so you really have a 1 on 1 tour guide in a way, with the cruise lines there's 50 at a clip, I think it would be hard to hear what your guide is saying when there's 50 people with you and there's parts where you have to hold on together to go through the cave. We saw all kinds of stuff with our guides, Jesus Lizards (the ones that run on water) banana trees, pineapple trees, fruit bats, all kinds of neat things!!! If you need any other info feel free to e-mail me!
John
Old August 23rd, 2003, 10:50 AM
Jay Gallman

The cave tubing is one of the best things we have done. The shopping in Belize city is not worth it. Items are way overpriced. Buy your souveniers on your stops in Mexico. The stuff is the same but much less there. If you happen to stop while in Belize on the way to the caves you may find better prices once outside of Belize city. If you decide against the caves go to the island and snorkle. Also one of the best reefs and the 2nd longest in the world! Whatever you do, avoid Belize city... it's a dump.
Old August 23rd, 2003, 05:15 PM
Beginner

You all have provided great information. I am looking forward to taking the cave tubing experience on my cruise on the inpsiraton on 9/21!

Carnival Inspiration
Old August 23rd, 2003, 07:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi H&J,
I'm really thinking of doing that also in Belize. Would you please report back as to how you enjoyed it or not.

Thanks,

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 24th, 2003, 01:37 AM
Cruisingocean

Would this tour be safe for someone that doesnt swim? Is it dangerous???

Thanks for the info!
Old August 24th, 2003, 09:41 AM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to MP

Hey all...did this tubing trip in Belize with a guy named Godfrey (I think) about 40-ish, cornrows, holding up a poster for different excursions. He was recommended from one of the guys that worked on the tender ferry. Haggled the price down to 40-45 from 60. We had 8 people so he agreed & was very nice & informative. Its about an hour to get to the location. On a bumpy road close to location, van broke down. No biggie, 5min later another tour van was passing by, stopped to talk to Godfrey & kindly agreed to take us to the location about 10min away. Our driver showed up 5min after we did w/the van & all was ok. Bring water shoes. If not, they rent them for $5. Water is very deep in some areas but they have life vests (close to the tubes)if you want one. Personally, I cant swim that well & went w/out a vest since I wasnt planning on goofing around in water that could cause me to flip over. But if its a concern, definitely grab the vest. Plus, there's a rope on the tube where you can keep your hand on it in case you flip. Our tube tour guide added 2 people to our group of 8. Having a small group made it easier to listen to whatever interesting tidbits he had to share as we floated & paddled around. We really enjoyed this trip! Would recommend to anyone. Grab a vest & have fun!
PS- On our van ride back, a van was stuck in the mud & our driver apologized but said he wanted to help the guy. It only took a few minutes & still had more than enough time to get back. Seems like everyone is very helpful towards one another!
Old August 24th, 2003, 11:02 AM
Passenger

It takes about an hour to do the actual tubing. We enjoyed the small group instead of such a large group! You dont have to wait so long for the stragglers since the tour guide has to keep everyone together. If you have a large group, you're constantly waiting for everyone to keep up & that wastes time & you probably feel rushed towards the end. We actually heard some people saying they wished their group was smaller to avoid all the waiting. Either way....enjoy yourself....have fun!
Old August 24th, 2003, 11:50 AM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to rmargio

What about taking small children? Is it safe? Our daughter is 3 and loves the water. We usually have her in a flotation type swim suit whenever she is in the pool, and she is able to swim on her own.
Old August 24th, 2003, 12:32 PM
Passenger

Didnt see any children that young on the tubing excursion. She would probably slip right through the tube. Hopefully someone will share some info that will help you out.
Good luck.
Old August 24th, 2003, 02:17 PM
Sharon B

We are going with Reggie on our upcoming cruise the first week of Sept. Will go for chicken rice and beer for $6. I cannot stand ships tours with lots of people. I hear that thereis not much shopping or anything else in Belize, so I would not be too worried about missing that.
Old August 24th, 2003, 05:40 PM
jamie gunter

We went with Reggie and I dont think he likes you to bring along small children. It gets very dark in the caves and I would not feel comfortable with bringing any small child. I believe that reggie has info on his site about children. Reggie has a great tour, they are there every step of the way to make sure you are safe. There is also about a 45 min walk to wear the start of the river is.
Old August 24th, 2003, 07:47 PM
Admiral

I don;t know about the private tours but the ships tours do not allow anyone under the age of 8. This is for insurance reasons. I wqould imagine that any insured private tour will be the same. They do have lifevests and they are required for kids and highly suggested for adults that are poor swimmers. Most of the tour is in shallow water but there are the occasion holes. As for groups, we had about 20 in our group and we were on a ships tour. The only problem we had was some guy in his 30's that looked in pretty good shape by was apparently a real couch potato and totally out of shape and could not keep up with anyone, including some older folks and even me with bad ankles and feet.
Jim

Old August 25th, 2003, 08:55 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Rachel

Thanks for all you help and info! I really appreciate all the help I've gotten from everyone!
Old August 26th, 2003, 02:21 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to rmargio

Thanks for the info. Looks like it will be a day at on of the Cayes.
Old August 26th, 2003, 03:02 PM
Passenger

Cruising in Feb just curious where everyone is finding prices for Reggies Cave Tubingin Belize? I can't seem to find it online. Sounds like a lot of fun.
Old August 26th, 2003, 03:15 PM
Admiral

Maybe someone can e-mail you that information. URL's of commercial businesses like this are not allowed in the boards.
Jim

Old August 26th, 2003, 09:04 PM
Passenger

Hey all. First post. My wife and I will be sailing on Inspiration 9/21. Second cruise, first with CCL. This will also be our first visit to Belize. We're very interested in the cave tubing excursion and I'm intrigued with Reggie's. Can someone email where I can find more information on this tour?

Thanks.
Old August 26th, 2003, 09:44 PM
Passenger

Just remember Belize time is 2 hours behind EST, and all times are are in Belize so just remember that!!!! We didn't know that till we got there.....
Old August 27th, 2003, 11:40 AM
S Babcock

If you plan to do any of the excursions, forget anything else. Our snorkel tour took us right back to the ship in Cossumel and that was the best place for shopping. We didn't have an extra minute. The Cave tubing says 6 and a half hours..............Ours said 5 hours and we only got 3 after the bus ride. A good portion of the time is used up getting to your excursion. They never tell that information.
Old August 30th, 2003, 03:22 PM
Meggie

Hey all... JUST... like JUST got back from Belize, Cozumel, Progreso on Carnival Glory...Had a Blast in belize, Cozumel and Progreso especially, in spite of Carnival Glory!... as to Cave Tubing... Ya GOTTA do it... my husband is terminally ill, so I couldnt, but good friends went, so I got full scoop... it is not for mobility impaired, nor for those with breathing limitations. Hard on knees and ankles- as there is a long-45 min. walk on rocky terrain in water shoes to get to the cave. I think it would be possible with a cane or crutch, but you might want to speak to one of the tour guides ahead of time and let them know if you tend to be slower... Carnival is ALWAYS great with handicapped passengers, and I have only once seen an exception to that.
I spoke to many people who did this who said it was really a pinnacle life experience. None of them ever felt unsafe.
I am a big time shopper... and Belize is NOT a big shopping spot. Totally don't stress what you're missing as far as that goes, cuz you're not. Really. Honest.
Just soak it all in, because this is a real memory maker. Carnival takes lots of pictures which they will be happy to make available to you... for a nominal fee
This excursion is also featured on the Travel Video that they sell on board for $24.95. Personally I'm glad we bought it, it's little clips of all the excursions, the decks, events on board, the kids friends.
Have a blast!