Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Hotels

Hotels Recommendations for the best places to stay pre/post cruise.

Old June 8th, 2006, 01:09 PM
Passenger

Default HOLIDAY INN/MIAMI

hi everyone,
i some immediate help. got a $95 rate at holiday inn near miami airport.
the address is 1111 so.royal poinciana blvd. is this a CLEAN/SAFE place.
just need a place to lay my head before my cruise. (jan 19,07)
thanks
Old June 18th, 2006, 09:23 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to David West Send a message via Yahoo to David West

PS,
Sorry I can't tell you about that one, but the Holiday Inn Downtown, thats across the street from the Bayside Market is very nice. Also, the Market Place has plenty options on places to eat. Also, the port is only 5 - 10 minutes ( maybe less, depending on traffic ) away from the motel.

Happy Sailing to all;
David
Legend May 2009
Liberty - Aug.23 2008
Fantasy - Sept.22 2007
Fantasy - Sept.27 2007 (B 2 B )
Holiday- Sept.- 2006
Valor- May - 2006
Conquest- August- 2003
Inspiration-Sept.-2001
Enchanted Isle- Sept.- 1999
Old June 19th, 2006, 11:15 AM
Cruise Maniac

I also do not know about the HI/Airport, however you can get the HI/Port of Miami for about the same rate and as the last poster said there is great shopping across the street ... and you can even see the ships as the come and go ..

Candy

1st Cruise Fantasy 2004
Old June 19th, 2006, 03:07 PM
Passenger

Default Holiday Inn

Thanks guys for the input. I found the HI near the airport by contacting
Choice Hotels 800 # which I got from my entertainment discount book.
I don't rember,but I think some of the other hotels were either booked for that day or over $100. My girlfriend and I are trying to keep some of the costs down. My main concern was the hotel being decent and safe.
Old June 19th, 2006, 08:40 PM
Captain

I think I remember seeing a Comfort Inn, or a Best Western close to the airport . Give them a try.
You could try priceline.com. Put in downtown area, at least a 3-star, or higher, and put in your price.Kuki does that often, and has great sucess with it.

Happy Sailing to all;
david
Legend May 2009
Liberty - Aug.23 2008
Fantasy - Sept.22 2007
Holiday- Sept.- 2006
Valor- May - 2006
Conquest- August- 2003
Inspiration-Sept.-2001
Old July 18th, 2006, 06:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Holiday Inn Miami Airport

We stayed there December 2004 pre-cruise. We booked at $65 and the price included pickup at airport and transfer to pier on cruise day.

I would not recommend it. The staff - other than the driver of the van who took us to the pier - was not helpful or friendly. Hardly anyone spoke English and it was a mess trying to get our bags delivered to the room - such disorganization. But the worst part was the location. We didn't have a car and wanted to eat somewhere inexpensive. The only thing we found within walking distance was a Polo something - chicken chain. The food was pretty good - but the walk over and back to the hotel was frightening. Just not in a good area. I'd reather pay more and stay somewhere where I could walk without constantly looking over my shoulder!

December 2005 we booked the Holiday Inn Biscayne Bay - across from the Bayside Marketplace....what a difference! Great place - nice staff, good rooms - but best of all was the proximity to the wonderfully active Bayside Marketplace! Directly across the street from the hotel and we felt safe spending the evening there enjoying the entertainment and the lovely views of the bay. Lots of nice restaurants and shopping, too. On day of cruise - it's just a hop skip and jump via cab across the bridge out to the pier - cost between $4 and $6 and took about 5-10 minutes tops.
We've booked it again for this December's cruise.

[b]MILLIE: The Beautiful Med...Barcelona to Venice- 5/15/05[b]
NOS West. Caribbean - 12/10/2005
[b]Summit Hawaii - 4/9/2006
NOS East. Caribbean - 12/02/2006
Infinity Alaska Repo - 5/7/2007
Old September 4th, 2006, 01:10 PM
Admiral

Be careful which side of the airport you book; some of the area is really bad and not safe at all. NMNita
Old September 6th, 2006, 10:54 AM
First Mate

Wondering if David has 'downtown HI' mixed up with Bayside HI. Our first year in Miami, we stayed at the downtown location. A little scarey, almost no one spoke English, lobby smelled moldy, definitely a good cab ride from Bayside Market, (which is indeed very close to the pier). Another year, we stayed at a Day's Inn near the airport...BAD choice. The following morning moved 2 or 3 blocks to the Comfort Inn Airport for a MUCH nicer room, decent breakfast included for less money (I think about $65). Like you, we just wanted a place to sleep before boarding and weren't too concerned about a lot of amenities.
Old September 6th, 2006, 11:23 AM
First Mate

OOPS! My apologies to David and everyone else. It was not a HI downtown but rather a Travelodge we stayed in that first year. At any rate, I am to the point where I will avoid any hotel listed as "downtown". Our problem has been this: in Canada, a Travelodge for example is a clean, safe, nice family hotel no matter where you are in the country. Same thing for a HI or any other chain, you generally know pretty much what it will look like. Since they are international chains, we expected the same kind of across-the-board similarity. If a hotel here falls below that company's standard, it is downgraded to a different name or sold to a different chain. That's one reason these message boards are so helpful, especially when going to a city you've never seen before. Our only problem with the Comfort Inn airport we stayed at was access to good dining as stated in a previous post. However, if you're only going there to sleep, that isn't a problem. Appreciated the iron and ironning board in room. They have a port shuttle as well as airport shuttle.
Old September 6th, 2006, 01:57 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd
Wondering if David has 'downtown HI' mixed up with Bayside HI. Our first year in Miami, we stayed at the downtown location. A little scarey, almost no one spoke English, lobby smelled moldy, definitely a good cab ride from Bayside Market, (which is indeed very close to the pier). Another year, we stayed at a Day's Inn near the airport...BAD choice. The following morning moved 2 or 3 blocks to the Comfort Inn Airport for a MUCH nicer room, decent breakfast included for less money (I think about $65). Like you, we just wanted a place to sleep before boarding and weren't too concerned about a lot of amenities.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Opps ! Thanks Kd Your right, its the Bayside Area.

Thanks again;
David
Legend May 2009
Liberty - Aug.23 2008
Fantasy - Sept.22 2007
Holiday- Sept.- 2006
Valor- May - 2006
Conquest- August- 2003
Inspiration-Sept.-2001