Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Silversea Cruises
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 26th, 2001, 03:47 PM
debbie bond

Default silversea cruises

in june i am going on my first ever cruise and have chosen a med cruise for 14 nights i have no idea what the dress attire will be and would be extremely grateful for any advice on dress codes etc is it very formal? what is the dress attire for informal nights? as i have absolutely no idea.

i am in my mid 30's will i be the youngest person and are cruisers a friendly group on silversea?

i look forward to receiving any advice

debbie bond
Sponsored Links
Old May 15th, 2001, 02:38 PM
Passenger

Default Re: silversea cruises

Are you going on the monte carlo to istanbul cruise ? my husband and I are -- I'm 36 and he's 41.
Old May 22nd, 2001, 01:02 PM
darcie

Silversea tends to be a very upscale and dressy cruiseline. Formal nights mean long gowns or evening pants and sequins for the women and tuxes for the men. On informal evenings most women tend to wear nice dinner suits or cocktail dresses. I saw lots of St. John, Escada and Chanel suits. Casual nights are just that, very casual with the women wearing pants and tops or nice sun dresses. While the average age for Silversea cruises becomes somewhat lower in the summer months, there will most likely be more older passengers than ones in your age group. I'm in my early 40's and on both my Silversea cruises during the summer, the number of passengers in my age group and younger was about 25 to 30%
Old August 7th, 2001, 02:54 PM
First Mate

could you tell me which itinerary you did. We are deciding for July 2002 and are also in early 40's. Heard some itinaries have a younger crowd then others. Thanks, would appreciate your thoughts on the cruise.
Old August 20th, 2001, 10:47 AM
Passenger

We did the Monte Carlo to Istanbul cruise. I'm 36 and my husband is 42. We had a wonderful time. There were a few families -- youngest had one 10 yr. old, other had a 16-yr. old and a 23 yr. old. I think the parents were in their late 40's. We met a couple the first week that were a few years younger than us, and another two couples the second week that were in their late 40's, early 50's. Even though we were the youngest, we still had a great time. We are not the late-nite, heavy drinking kind. Anyways, because we wanted to do all the excursions, I didn't want to stay up late anyways.......

I wore long dresses on the formal nites and silk pants/dressy shirts the informal nites and black capris with dressy tanks the casual nites. I felt totally comfortable with what I wore, but I definitely fretted over it. I don't have a lot of designer clothes at this point in my life.
Old April 9th, 2002, 02:49 PM
David Scott

Default Re: Re: silversea cruises

My wife - Carol, and I are on the 12th July 2002 cruise. We're 55 ish. Sorry .......!
Old May 16th, 2002, 12:17 PM
Lucy B

Hi, I am on the Meditterean cruise on the Silver Whisper in late June/early July. I would like to know if anyone has sailed on the Silver Whisper and knows how much Internet access is. I also would like to know how much the 4.5 hour excursion to Positano is.
Thank-you.
Old June 16th, 2002, 10:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Our Editor in Chief, Anne Campbell is on the Whisper now. Think she's due back this week. Sure she'll have lots to report on her return.

Old August 27th, 2002, 05:07 PM
Durant Imboden

>>I would like to know if anyone has sailed on the Silver Whisper and knows how much Internet access is.<<

The ship has eight Internet terminals--six in the computer room next to the library, and two in the library itself. I believe the computers also have Microsoft Word installed (at least, the ones in the library did).

Internet access is reasonably priced, since you're charged only for the time that data is actually being transferred to or from the Internet. In other words, if you open an e-mail in Hotmail, write a reply, and send it, you pay only for the few seconds that it takes to receive and send the e-mails--not for the time that you spend writing your reply.

TIP: Silversea assigns a ship's e-mail address to each passenger, but you don't have to use that address---and you shouldn't unless you want to pay a character-based fee that can add up to several dollars per e-mail. Instead, use your usual e-mail address with WebBox (http://www.webbox.com, $10 per year), your Internet provider's Webmail if available, or a Web-based e-mail service like Hotmail or Yahoo Mail. In other words, forget about your Silversea e-mail address, which uses a dedicated Exchange server, and use Web-based mail instead.
Old March 9th, 2003, 07:26 PM
Ed Rudd

Default email Silversea Cruises

Ever owned a boat? If you have to ask how much.........you can;t afford it.

Email aboard SS is most reasonable. You only get charged for up and down load time.

I have 88 days aboard and only spend 10 minutes a day at the computer at most.

Ed
Old April 5th, 2003, 10:13 PM
Durant Imboden

Default Re: email Silversea Cruises

>>Email aboard SS is most reasonable. You only get charged for up and down load time.<<

That's true if you access your own e-mail account--e.g., a Hotmail, Yahoo, or other Webmail account--via the Web. (I use Webbox, http://www.webbox.com, which charges $10 a year for Web access to all my standard POP3 mail accounts from ships, Internet cafes, and other public Internet terminals.)

However, if you use the temporary ship's e-mail address that Silversea provides, you're charged by the message and the number of characters, which can get quite expensive if you send and receive a lot of e-mail. Still, that may be a worthwhile approach if you don't want to deal with your regular e-mail while you're traveling and just want an address for emergencies and for communicating with friends and family.
Old May 25th, 2003, 03:15 PM
Jeffrey Kaufman

Default Re: Re: email Silversea Cruises

On SS internet terminals, can one have access to load pictures and send as attachments to email. Thanks
Old June 7th, 2003, 04:05 PM
Durant Imboden

Default Re: Re: Re: email Silversea Cruises

Good question. I can't recall whether the PCs have floppy drives, CD-ROM drives, or USB ports. In any case, any answer that I might give could be out of date soon. As of spring, 2003, Silversea is installing an interactive satellite TV and Internet-access system in the ships' suites, and I don't know how that will affect the existing computer rooms. Your best bet would be to e-mail Silversea and ask whether it's possible to upload photos to the Internet via your camera's USB connection or whatever.
Old February 28th, 2004, 12:04 PM
John Forch

Default Silver Wind Cruise

I am taking my wife for her 50th birthday on the 7 day cruise in May (5/20/04) from Barcelona to Rome. I would appreciate any tips\recommendations on how to make this special
- on board the ship,
- on excursions,
- the 1st night in Barcelona, or
- the 2 extra nights we will spend in Rome.

Specifically re Rome, are there any special sights out of the ordinary there, special unknown restaurants, or things to do at night. I was thinking about getting tickets to the opera.

Any insight and recommendations would be appreciated.
Old April 3rd, 2004, 06:30 AM
Beverley

Default Re: Silver Wind Cruise

Extra flowers in the suite and maybe something special from the shop on board. Silversea does the spoiling for all the passengers on board - its so wonderful you will find it very difficult to come up with something they dont. You will both be very spoilt!!
Have fun, we have just left the Silver Shadow and could not fault it. They even have binnoculars and umberella's in your suite.

Have fun
Beverley
Old April 4th, 2004, 09:36 AM
Julia Ledyard

Hello. I am sailing on the Shadow Aug. 23. One may board the ship about 3:30. I will arrive at the pier about 1:00. Will they let me board early if I haven't paid the early embarkation fee or should I just go ahead and ante up? Thanks.
Old June 16th, 2004, 11:54 AM
sail4me

Default Re: Re: Re: silversea cruises

Cant wait to hear everything my partner and i are going on the Whisper July 28. We hope we will not be the youngest, we are mid 30's and love to travel.