Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Silversea Cruises
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 13th, 2005, 10:15 PM
Passenger

Default Cruising the Greek Islands

Am taking cruise in Sept. on Silver Shadow from Athens to Rome. Has anyone done this itinerary? Any comments and helpful suggestions? Limited cruise experience (Disney cruise in 2000 with our kids - very nice).
Sponsored Links
Old December 22nd, 2005, 02:57 AM
Passenger

Wow, sounds like fun. Which cruise line is that?
Old January 14th, 2006, 09:12 AM
Admiral

A magazine recently asked me to write "Top Seven Itineraries To Do Before You Die". I listed the Greek Islands number one. The beauty and historic treasures are awesome. Each day you'll arrive at a new pristine Greek Isle and all of them are different. In most you won't need a shore excursion, they are perfect for strolling. Don't miss a Greek lunch -- it will be one of your favorite cuisines after this.
www.cruisingfromnewyork.com/
Cruise news, bargains, tips and commentary.
Old July 15th, 2006, 05:46 AM
Beginner

Just got back from Athens - Rome Cruise.

Here are my impressions of our trip:

PRE CRUISE

Arrived in Athens two days early and very glad we did. It took me a full day to shake the jet lag and I would not have wanted to go directly to the ship from the airport. In any case, the airline "misplaced" one of my bags and the extra time in Athens allowed me to get the bag back before we sailed. We booked the pre cruise hotel thru the cruise line and stayed at the Intercontinental. Nice, clean hotel but a bit of a distance from everything we wanted to see. There was a Metro station about 0.3 miles away but we ended up using the tram which was only about 1 1/2 blocks away. It was cheap, clean, and easy to use. We felt very safe on both the Metro & tram and even rode them late at night. The transfers from the airport were smooth and the only hassle was my lost bag.

We did a lot of sightseeing and exploring on our own in Athens. We also booked a "dinner theatre" tour thru the cruise line for the last night. They bussed us to a restaurant near the port. The food was so-so but the entertainment was fun and varied.

ITINERARY

This is the reason we chose this trip & this ship. The itinerary was exactly what we wanted. Our port of calls are listed below and I'd be happy to answer any questions about any of the ports we visited. We generally explored on our own and used one private tour and one ship's tour. Here's where we went:

Mykonos : explored on our own w/ motor scooters

Rhodes : explored on our own and rented a car for Lindos

Santorini explored on our own w/ motor scooters

Malta rented a taxi for the AM, walked around on our own in the PM

Sicily took ship's tour to Mt Etna and had a great lunch in the port town

Sorrento took the train to Pompeii on our own

Civitivecchia own our own for transport to Rome
Rome We did all this on our own.

Kusadasi : We toured with Shorex Turkey. I found them very courteous, professional, and very quick to respond to my emails. There are many wonderful reviews about this company. They were first class and the guides were helpful, informative and very flexible. The website is http://www.shorexturkey.co.nr

Amalfi/Naples : I had booked a day's tour of the Amalfi Coast with Salvatore months before our cruise. He was personally booked but assured us we would enjoy Adriano. He was right. This tour was the highlight of our cruise. We were scheduled to tender in to Amalfi but weather forced the ship to divert to Naples. Salvatore had stayed in touch thru e mail and in fact I got an email from him that we would probably be diverted before the ship informed us. He assured us Adriano would pick us up in Naples. Drive Amalfi at driveamalfi@hotmail.com

OVERALL

Great time, great ship, great people. We completely enjoyed ourselves, but we're also pretty easy to please. In my mind there is no sense in ruining your day over minor inconveniences.
Old March 7th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Beginner

Default Need FEMALE CABINMATE for GREECE/FR. cruise MAY,2010!!

Just joined this site - don't know where else/how to post yet! BUT lost roommate for Silverseas cruise (either Greek Isles or French Riviera) in MAY, 2010. I have all info and am ready to BOOK NOW! Wonderful itineraries, some flexibility with dates. Would LOVE to chat with you ASAP.