Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Silversea Cruises
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 24th, 2005, 07:48 PM
Jeff L

Default Dress Code

We're traveling on the Silver Wind from Athens to Istanbul and I am wondering how seriously to take the formal nights? Does anyone have any advice? Will a black suit do? Or must it be a tux....? Also, my girlfriend does not like to travel with her real jewelry.....will she feel dreadfully out of place without an evening gown (cocktail dress instead) and not quite dripping in huge diamonds???

Any advice, feedback or personal experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

jlowy@encoreentertainment.com
Sponsored Links
Old July 26th, 2005, 02:38 PM
Bechi

Default Re: Dress Code

No. You will not feel out of place. Formal dress ranges from tuxes and gowns to dark suits and dressy pantsuits. Alternately, you can also opt for a romantic dinner for two ensuite on formal nights as you desire.

Bechi
Old July 28th, 2005, 07:37 AM
Julia

I sailed on the Silver Shadow last August. People dressed up more than on my previous trip with HAL but there were still many dark suits. I wore a long black skirt with a sequined sweater set one night and the same skirt with a silk top the other and felt perfectly dressed even though many of the older women were in real evening gowns. But why not take good jewelry? This is the place to flaunt it. You'll have a safe in your cabin. Whatever you do, you'll be pampered and have a fun time. Silversea is a great cruise line.

Julia, who hopes to go on another cruise very soon....
Old July 29th, 2005, 04:22 PM
sctl

We were on the Silver Whisper and I had a dark suit while my wife had an
evening dress. Most did have evening dresses and tuxes, but I did not feel out of place at all. You have nothing to prove to those people and you will never see most of them again anyway. It is open seating and the people were very friendly. To those who want to flaunt it remember there is always somebody that can out flaunt you and besides the people who really have it do not have to flaunt it. Have you ever seen Bill Gates or Warren Buffet?
Old August 1st, 2005, 10:41 AM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Dress Code

"To those who want to flaunt it remember there is always somebody that can out flaunt you and besides the people who really have it do not have to flaunt it. Have you ever seen Bill Gates or Warren Buffet?"

Yes, and they do not wear jewelry, but Mrs. Gates has some lovely pieces. I was merely trying to reassure someone. If she has good jewelry and likes to wear it, then she should not worry. A Silversea ship is a safe milieu in which to enjoy wearing lovely baubles.
Old August 1st, 2005, 02:34 PM
sctl

Default Re: Re: Re: Dress Code

Sorry JGL should not have said what I did. Hope there are no hard feelings? The people on Silversea are great -was just trying to get this message board a little more active. Don't want to upset anybody we could be on a cruise together some day.
Old September 4th, 2005, 05:56 PM
norm rudolph

Jeff,
Sure, your girlfriend can travel with good jewelry, but I would say chances of being stolen beween USand Europe are great. The safes in the suites are fine and our observation was large diamonds, real or otherwise. If she has a good opinion of herself, then forget the "jewels: Ship, service, etc is excellent. .