Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Silversea Cruises
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 28th, 2006, 12:56 PM
Beginner

Default Wil it ever happen??

Last summer we won a "Luxury 7 day Cruise", including flights from BA, donated by Silversea in a prize draw. The conditions (sent after the draw) say that the cruise must be taken before the end of March 06 and that confirmation will be 30 days prior to travel. We have told Silversea that we are happy to pay the extra days on any cruise we choose. So far we have been told that we are unlikely to get on 3 different cruises and we are pinning our last hope on a trip starting on 9th March.

Has anyone else been in a similar position? If so did you get on eventually, or did you suffer the disappointment we are beginning to anticipate?
Sponsored Links
Old January 29th, 2006, 05:17 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Boy!! I sure wouldn't want to miss that cruise! Silverseas is the best in the world (arguably).

Why did you wait so long? Where did you win this, from Silversea or through an agency, charity auction, or what?

Silversea is KNOWN for service. I would think they will accomodate you if you want to take a longer cruise. I suggest you contact them right away, though, and speak to someone in management or guest relations at Silversea (not a travel agent).
Old January 29th, 2006, 08:28 AM
Beginner

Paul,

Many thanks for your reply. The cruise was given by Silverseas and the Club Class seats by BA to the promoting charity which is one of my favourites, but they are in the hands of the donor.

I started last August shortly after we won what we thought was a wonderful prize and asked if we could pay the extra as there are very few 7 day cruises over the winter - reply was "certainly".

"Cruise to anywhere in the World" said the blurb, so we indented to get on the trip from BA to Valparaiso via the Chilean fiords in Jan/Feb, thinking that in our mid-60s we are unlikely to travel there except on this sort of trip.

September & early October were taken up with our daughter's wedding and reorganising our business plus a minor operation, so it was late Oct before I rang S/seas to enquire about my letter & booking form. Eventually I was told that there was no chance of getting on that trip - altho there were then 11 berths left - as they would all be gone at the 30 day mark! After 2 weeks of getting nowhere, I asked for a list of the cruises that still had places left and registered for 3, but was told we would be put down for one as the story was likely to be the same for the other 2!

I am still trying to work out how, under the conditions the BA flights must be booked (thru S/seas) 8 weeks before take off, while S/seas will only notify you 30 days or less before the same. The prize is "subject to availability ...... and at the disretion of Silverseas ...." - being treated as the poor relation sure makes planning one's life & business difficult!

I rang 2 weeks ago to try to check, but all the names I had with S/seas in London were "in a meeting" and altho I left my name & number nobody has returned my call. My wife has given up hoping it will happen and I am tending to agree with her.

Richard
Old January 30th, 2006, 10:45 AM
Beginner

Paul,

Great news - Silverseas have just confirmed our cruise with a most generous addition, roll on March!
Old September 25th, 2006, 02:56 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I am so happy to hear this did work out for you. Please tell us how your cruise went.
Old September 26th, 2006, 05:31 AM
Beginner

Many thanks for your interest. The cruise from Hong Kong to Bankok was extremely comfortable, the arrangements were excellent and the food and service could not be faulted. I can well understand why so many people with us had done several Silversea cruises before and were queuing to book for many more. The thick fog for 4 out of our 9 days was not their fault!
Old September 26th, 2006, 12:46 PM
Administrator
Admiral

We would love to have a "reader review" sent to us about your trip.

Yes, fog is an unfortunate thing. I sailed on 6 weeks of Alaska cruises in a row (I was working on the ship) and I saw some cruises where all 7 days were magically clear and perfect, and then the next cruise would be 5 days of fog. I fel so sorry for those people.