Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Silversea Cruises
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 18th, 2011, 10:14 PM
Familiar Face

Default Help wanted: Silversea v Seabourn

Love cruising, next year we'll be trying the first foray into luxe lines for 2012. Trying to choose between a 10 day in October from NYC to Barbados on Silver Whisper (Bermuda,St Barts, Antigua,Dominica, Grenadines, Barbados), and a 10 day R/T from Ft. Lauderdale to Caribbean on Seabourns Sojourn (San Juan, St. Barts, Antigua, St. John, DR).

Clearly, Sojourn is one of the newest ships in the luxe lineup. Costs normally enter into the picture but the Whisper gets me air included and a window onboard and a slightly smaller space; at that price I pay for my own air and get a cabin with a veranda (plus 365 square feet) on the Sojourn. I've never sailed with more than 240 square feet, so although I like balconies ... it shouldn't really matter in this case.

Priorities for us: incredible food (to be defined as classic cuisine - fussy not necessarily meaning better but more than likely what I'd take); small, unusual ports; service that truly startles and surprises. Wife and I would love romance on this trip. From what I've read about the other guests onboard, well, we're just normal folks in their earliest 50s that love to laugh, spend some time alone nuzzling, and like to meet others. We still keep in contact with Southerners we met on the Katrina trip of Sensation (left NOLA in late August, 2005).

Anything I should be aware of? What about sailing NYC to Barbados/Bermuda in October in a smaller ship? For all intents, it seems like the itinaries are a wash; the cuisine should be relatively close. Help!

I don't think there's much difference here. The October trip offers the chance to build on and add days in advance in NY possibly add on to the end in Barbados and also allows me time to pay for the darn thing. February trip comes at an opportune time (nothing like getting away from WNY in the winter) for a vacation.

Last edited by Askabry; February 18th, 2011 at 10:19 PM. Reason: edit: clarity,grammar
Sponsored Links
Old March 4th, 2011, 02:41 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

In all honesty I think you will find the food on Seabourn to be exceptional, based on what I have heard. I have seen pictures and it honestly looks incredible. Silversea has excellent food, but it has a heavy European continental accent - which not everyone finds appealing.

The ships and itineraries are very similar.

I think the suites on Silversea may be more appealing - they are big and very comfortable. The televisions are nicely hidden away behind mirrors - very high tech.

On both ships all of the staterooms are mid-ships and forward - which seems odd to me since forward is the roughest part of the ship. I prefer a stateroom in midships or aft myself.

Especially considering these are smaller (relatively) ships they can get a little rough if you are not used to the motion. For that reason I would avoid the open Atlantic in autumn.