Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 5th, 2007, 12:51 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelgal
. . . ROMANCING THE CREW? Forget it!! It is not acceptable anymore because there have been too many bad incidents on ships. Some gals chase after the crew members and then yell rape so they can get upgraded to a suite. Plus, get another free cruise. It has happened because a cabin steward told me that if a gal starts to flirt with them they will report it to their supervisor so when the gal yells rape the ship deals with those gals and their false reports. There have been real rapes too.
Cruise-lines don't encourage ship romances.

I agree with you Angelgal, cruiselines don't encourage ship romances, but it happens both sides are taking a chance. As for female passengers screaming RAPE I am not surprised.

This is the way I see it..... Why would I want to pick up on a crew worker who is poorly paid, from a different country, different religion, etc. They may be wanting to use me to get to the United States. Most of the crew workers who flirt with me are younger than me and I am realistic that they just want an extra tip at the end of the cruise or just want to have a fling with me.

The crew worker are poorly paid but it's not the money but the moment and oppurtunity to have sex in the cabin when no one is looking is the point.

REGARDING FLINGS ON SHIPS - I don't want to have a fling on a cruise ship with any guy..... crew member or not. I can have all the flings I want at my city. I go cruising just for the fun of it. I love the ocean and I don't really care if I go to the same ports over and over.

This is true, if you are strong-willed but I learned along time ago anything can happen when you don't expect it.

I do have a life in my city and have friends to hang out with but they just don't like to cruise. Some of us are in that situation. Angelgal/Luci
As for crew members no socializing in port if the crew is professional they should still say "HI" whether on the ship or off. The customer will remember the kindness of "Hello" and may give the a generouse tip.
Old June 5th, 2007, 05:15 PM
Yeoman

Most of the crew workers we see in port are the workers we passengers never get to meet like the cleaning people who clean the decks, paint the ship, clean the windows, work in the kitchen, clean the public toilets, wash the towels, linens, etc., work in the engine area, electricians, etc. Those are the crew workers we see in the ports.
Do they get a tip from us? "NO"!!!

If my cabin steward or waiter sees me in port.... they do say hello to me.
But other cabin stewards and waiters... why would they waste their time saying hello to me who will not be tipping them?
I am in the habit of personally tipping my cabin steward and waiter and assistant waiter. BUT.... when I cruise with VTG.... we do table hopping and so I let the ship distribute my tips. It is a lot easier to do that so no-one is forgotten. I truly appreciate the great service that the crew workers do for us.
There are some really HIGH MAINTENANCE CRUISERS who want a lot of service on the ships. I am thinking that when the crew members see them in the ports they most likely hide from them. There are some real cheap-skate cruisers who want extra service and don't give an extra tip.
I know this information because the cabin stewards and waiters tell me.
I am real good at asking them questions and I get answers to my questions. If they want to avoid answering they give a somewhat answer.
PLEASE LET THEM HAVE THEIR PRIVACY WHEN YOU SEE THEM IN PORTS.
Angelgal
Old June 5th, 2007, 10:31 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Most of the crew workers we see in port are the workers we passengers never get to meet like the cleaning people who clean the decks, paint the ship, clean the windows, work in the kitchen, clean the public toilets, wash the towels, linens, etc., work in the engine area, electricians, etc. Those are the crew workers we see in the ports.
Do they get a tip from us? "NO"!!!

I think you are shortchanging these crew members. Very few people cater their "off the job" level of friendliness and manners based on whether or not a hello will get them a bigger tip. I do not believe most of the crew do that.

As far as the crew workers in port being crew that we do not meet on the ship, if we don't see know them from the ship, why would we bother them at all?

If my cabin steward or waiter sees me in port.... they do say hello to me.
But other cabin stewards and waiters... why would they waste their time saying hello to me who will not be tipping them?

It costs nothing to say hello. Yes, the crew do gossip about the passengers and probably would rather not be too familiar. However, a friendly hello usually is returned with a friendly hello.

I once did run into a nasty, unfriendly crewmember at the beach in Barbados. All I did was ask her if the van she was getting in was the one that was going back to the ship. She gave me a real nasty smart answer. Her behavior was not indicative of her being off duty but rather her own distasteful personality. I was not trying to be her friend but rather just asking a question. I was appalled at her attitude and told her so. I asked her if she would like me to treat her that way when I ran into her on the ship. Once I pointed out that her bad attitude was unjustified, she apologized.

I know this information because the cabin stewards and waiters tell me.
I am real good at asking them questions and I get answers to my questions. If they want to avoid answering they give a somewhat answer.
PLEASE LET THEM HAVE THEIR PRIVACY WHEN YOU SEE THEM IN PORTS.
Angelgal

What privacy? I don't understand this. If someone thinks that the crewmember is still at their beck and call while in port, that is wrong. However, if I recognize someone from the ship and say hello quickly, I don't think that is an invasion of their privacy but rather just my bubbly friendly personality. Most times I don't say anything to them in port. Not because they are crew but because I don't know them. I can only recognize some by the badges they wear around their necks.

I would think that they would much rather receive a wave or quick hello by passengers that know them from the ship than to be ignored like they don't exist or are invisible. That is condensending and rude.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old June 6th, 2007, 02:42 AM
Yeoman

I am sorry that I am being misunderstood in what I am trying to say.

So here is an example of what I am trying to say..... A passenger stops a crew member and asks questions like what shuttle do I take to go to the beach? How much is the fare?
Can you show me where I can exchange money? Do you know where the public telephones are located? What time is the ship leaving the port because I forgot? Can you help me with my bags while I get on the shuttle? If you ask questions like that.... you can expect to get answers and help or.... you can get a rude answer.... or just be totally ignored.

Some of you may not like the negative attitude of the crew workers that you may meet up with but this is the reality of how a crew worker may respond to you. They have the choice to be nice or to be rude. I am not saying they are right or wrong. I am saying that is the REALITY.
I prefer to just leave them alone to enjoy the little freedom that they get when they are in the ports. That is my belief and nobody has to accept how I believe.
Old June 6th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Admiral

Quote:
I am sorry that I am being misunderstood in what I am trying to say.

So here is an example of what I am trying to say..... A passenger stops a crew member and asks questions like what shuttle do I take to go to the beach? How much is the fare?
Can you show me where I can exchange money? Do you know where the public telephones are located? What time is the ship leaving the port because I forgot? Can you help me with my bags while I get on the shuttle? If you ask questions like that.... you can expect to get answers and help or.... you can get a rude answer.... or just be totally ignored.

Some of you may not like the negative attitude of the crew workers that you may meet up with but this is the reality of how a crew worker may respond to you. They have the choice to be nice or to be rude. I am not saying they are right or wrong. I am saying that is the REALITY.
I prefer to just leave them alone to enjoy the little freedom that they get when they are in the ports. That is my belief and nobody has to accept how I believe.
Actually they do not have a choice to be nice or rude. This is one reason why they are required to wear their badges when in port. They are not exactly at the passengers beck and call but they are still representing the cruiseline. Therefore, they are expected to behave in a manner that reflects positively on their employers. They are also REQUIRED to offer assistance to passengers if the need arises. It is a must not a choice. They are less employees (in the American sense) and more indentured servants. Their totality is controlled by the cruiseline.

For this reason most crewmembers learn to avoid the usual touristy spots so as to avoid the passengers.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old June 6th, 2007, 07:36 PM
Yeoman

IBECRUZIN, You are so right... they are something like indentured servants on the cruise ships but I didn't know they also had to be at our beck and call on their free time from work.
No wonder they sometimes get angry when somebody asks them for assistance on their time off. I would be angry too. I am so glad I am an American and don't have to put up with ships who treat them as slaves or indentured servants. I always saw the crew workers as slaves since they work 12 - 14 hrs per day. Some of them don't even get a day off during the week. I feel sorry for them so that is why I don't like to bother them when they have a few hours off in a port. I also try not to be high maintenance on the ships either. I also try to be respectful when on the ships. They work so hard to please us. They are not free to jump ship anytime they want either like the American crew workers on the NCL Hawaiian cruises where the ships lose a crew member when they decide to jump ship at the next port. I have heard some of the American workers do that. But recently NCL has hired the "Green card" workers who come from other countries to work on the NCL American ships. Some cruisers say the service has improved since NCL started hiring the Permanent Residents. Angelgal/Luci
Old June 6th, 2007, 08:02 PM
Admiral

Quote:
IBECRUZIN, You are so right... they are something like indentured servants on the cruise ships but I didn't know they also had to be at our beck and call on their free time from work.
No wonder they sometimes get angry when somebody asks them for assistance on their time off. I would be angry too. I am so glad I am an American and don't have to put up with ships who treat them as slaves or indentured servants. I always saw the crew workers as slaves since they work 12 - 14 hrs per day. Some of them don't even get a day off during the week. I feel sorry for them so that is why I don't like to bother them when they have a few hours off in a port. I also try not to be high maintenance on the ships either. I also try to be respectful when on the ships. They work so hard to please us. They are not free to jump ship anytime they want either like the American crew workers on the NCL Hawaiian cruises where the ships lose a crew member when they decide to jump ship at the next port. I have heard some of the American workers do that. But recently NCL has hired the "Green card" workers who come from other countries to work on the NCL American ships. Some cruisers say the service has improved since NCL started hiring the Permanent Residents. Angelgal/Luci
Yes, Angel. They are required to represent the cruiseline at every minute whether on duty or off. Add this to the fact that the cruiselines have adopted an absolute zero tolerance policy when it comes to issues arising between crewmember and passenger and you have the reason why for the most part, the crew looks right through the passengers. The prettiest young hottie on these cruise ships would be hard pressed to find a crew member willing to give her the "social time of the day." It is simply not worth it. Plus with everything computerized, I would imagine that it is not that hard for CCL to blacklist a crew member and flag him as "trouble" throughout the industry so that he becomes unemployable. That is just too high a price to pay for a few days affection from a hottie.

I looked around on this last cruise and saw very little personal comraderie (none actually) between the crew and the passengers.

On the NCL PofAM, there was much more personal interaction between crew and passenger but that was at a time when most of the crew were young Americans who didn't really care whether they lost their jobs or not. Most were college educated and was doing the cruise thing to avoid having to be grown up. It was a job "for now" to them and not "forever". The crew would often go on the islands and party all night with the passengers. They were young, rules be darned!!!

On another note, my room steward on the Liberty told me he worked from 7:30 a.m until 9:30 p.m. 7 days a week for 8 months. That is simply crazy!! I don't know how some of the crew from the more improvished 3rd world countries don't end up hating the spoiled Americans passengers.

I too try to be as nice and low maintenance as possible on the ship. I feel guilty.

One more observation, none of the crew that you see are fat or unattractive. Every single crew that is in and among the guests are in excellent physical shape and very attractive. In short, all of the crew are easy on the eyes. The only fat crew member on the ship was the CD. I couldn't find a pot belly nowhere. Not a one. I noticed that towards the end of my cruise while I was drooling over one particularly sexy photographer (from South Africa) and the way his pants seemed to hug his . . . oops, excuse me but I digress.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old June 7th, 2007, 04:08 AM
Yeoman

I have also noticed that some of the crew workers are highly educated.
Yes, most of the crew workers guys are super handsome and I like to flirt with them in front of the other crew workers just for fun. The waiters like the attention I give them. They like to laugh with me and joke with me. I make friends with them. I also show interest in their personal lives. I usually take the cabin steward a gift from Los Angeles... like a Hollywood t-shirt or I buy them a gift from a port. If they are married I buy a gift for their wives back home. Sometimes I buy them a watch from the ship's gift shop and I give them the receipt and I write on it that it is a gift from me in case they need to exchange it. I also tell the sales gals that the gift is for my cabin steward so they will know that I gave it away as a gift.
One time on the Star Princess.... the ship was getting ready to reposition to start cruising to Alaska. I noticed one of the ship's cleaning guys looking at the ship's thin jackets. They were on sale for $30. I gave him $20. dollars cash and I said for him to buy a warm jacket in port at Wal-Mart. He could just add $10. to make it $30. and find a better jacket than the wind breaker he was looking at. He asked me why I chose to give him the money for the jacket. I said that on every cruise I like to give gifts or money to the crew workers to help them out. He was very happy I chose him.
I asked my waiter what he wanted from Wal-Mart in Puerto Vallarta.... and he said "Red Bull" which is a high caffine energy drink. I also bought a cute gift bag to put the gift in. The other waiters looked happy for him.
I have bought many gifts for the crew workers and some of them get really emotional that I cared to buy them a gift.
The crew workers also like to get as gifts the International Calling cards so they can call home.

Since I cruise over and over on some ships.... some of the workers know my name. Even in the ports in Mexico... some of the sales people know me too. Since my home port has cruise ships that cruise a lot to Mexico I am in the habit of telling my friends that I will bring back some of the Mexican products like real Vanilla extract. A lot of the American chefs like to use the Mexican Vanilla. I buy my mother some meds that are sold over the counter in the drug stores in Mexico too.

We have changed the subject.... but I find it interesting to write about my experiences and read other cruisers experiences too. It keeps me going until my next cruise. Angelgal
Old June 7th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Yeoman

After reading someone's posting that crew members were required to wear their name tags in port, I called three of the cruise lines (not about to canvass them all) and was told it is not required, but, like passengers, they have to have proper i.d. to get back onboard.

Personally, I have seen a lot less chit-chat from dining room waiters since tips started being automatically billed to onboard accounts in pre-set amounts. In the past, they were obviously going out of their way in order to get larger tips, and you can't blame them for that. Ditto the bar staff. But the dining room workers usually become extra nice the last evening due to wanting good marks on the comment cards.

I, for one, enjoy polite rapport with waiters and other members of the crew as it always interesting to talk with people from other countries. However, if I'm in the midst of an intimate conversation with someone during dinner, I don't want to be interrupted with a lot of banter from a waiter. The same goes for the frenzied dancing and napkin waving and other "entertainment." So I am very pleased that so many ships now offer alternative dining choices (even if I do have to pay for it) because of the quieter (and romantic) ambience this provides.

And it is nice when some passengers express their pleasure with the crew by giving small gifts, etc.

As for the postings concerning experiences with crew members being rude while in port, I can only say that I have witnessed passengers being rude to crew members onboard the ship and wondered how on earth the crew member was able to keep silent, but, of course, they know their jobs are at stake.