Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 20th, 2001, 03:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Caution for singles on Norway

Recently returned from traveling solo on my first cruise and offer this warning to other singles...

After boarding I explained to the maitre d' that I (32 yr old female) was traveling solo and asked him to take that into consideration on seating arrangements. I was, therefore, a little suprised when I found myself sitting at a 6-top with a family of four (kids 11 and 14) + me. While they were certainly enjoyable dinner companions, I felt like a 5th wheel. The next night (formal night) I waited 15 minutes by myself before giving up on my tablemates and simply dining alone. After dinner, I went to speak with the maitre d' and was shocked and dismayed to discover that earlier in day the family had moved to the other dining room (found the leeward dark and depressing). I, the solo traveller who had asked for "special attention", was clearly indicated on the dining room map as being by myself at a table for six in the back of the dining room! I later ran in to my former tablemates who told me they had changed early in the day and had also asked the maitre d' to make sure that I knew and wasn't dining alone.

I was moved to another table for the remainder of the cruise but was nonetheless really upset that prior to and throughout the entire meal no one noticed the situation that was so obviously documented. Add insult to injury, none of the NCL staff, either guest services where I noted my complaint or restaurant staff, every really offered an apology.

Hope everyone else has better luck.
J
Sponsored Links
Old May 22nd, 2001, 02:32 PM
RobertD

Default Re: Caution for singles on Norway

Jenn

Sorry to hear about your negative experience. I travelled single on The Norway in March, and my experience was totally opposite. I am 36 and was seated with other singles in their thirties. Just the luck of the draw i guess. I enjoyed myself so much, that i tried to book on The Norway for July - however, they have discontinued their guaranteed single rates, and NCL is no longer a viable option. I will be going on Carnival's Paradise instead, and hope that my table mates are half as much fun as the ones on The Norway.

Better luck next time

Robert
Old May 23rd, 2001, 10:58 AM
Pat Hagan, Singles Editor

Default Re: Caution for singles on Norway

I am so sorry to hear of your bad experience as a single on the Norway. I wish you had gone straight to the Hotel Manager to complain.

Pat Hagan
Singles Editor
www.patriciahagan.com