Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 10th, 2001, 08:10 PM
Cruise Maniac
Default Any Cruise?

Is there any cruise that is known to be the "Best Singles' Cruise"? Are there ay cruise lines that offer only a flat fee of less than $500? Could somebody explain to me what 125-200% single supplement charge is? Like say a cruise is offred for $849pp and I am goig by myself does that mean I pay $849 and 25% or $849 and 125%?
Sponsored Links
Old June 10th, 2001, 09:19 PM
Default Re: Any Cruise?

Hi Chrissy. On the last cruise I went on through Discount Travel Debbie Popick told me she had 2 cabins available for single ocopency at $250 extra. I did so and the peace and quite were well worth while in my opinion. Just an idea you may want to look into.
Old June 11th, 2001, 10:28 PM

Yes, Chrissy, that is what the Singles Supplement means - you pay the fare plus 25 - 100% for getting the room all to yourself, the higher the surcharge for the higher cost suites. Many times you can pay a smaller supplement, as you were told by Alan, but you have to call around to the cruise sellers to find those. Look for cruise ship sales where they have drastically decresed the prices on a sailing and you usually can get the smaller supplement on it. I have done that couple times on Carnival cruises paying the lesser supplement.

When the cruising urge strikes me, and if I can't find something with the smaller supplement, I usually look for the cruises that are going for a lesser charge, like $400 - $500 pp, and book it for myself paying 2 times the sale price. It is still less than the book price of the cruise for one person and you get the enjoyment of doing whatever you wish, whenever you want in the room without the uncertainty of an unknown roommate.

In either case, I always find some single people with whom I can do things, or I get "adopted" by a couple or couples to tag along or show them around as their tour guide.

As far as the Best Singles Cruise, that is a matter of what you like -- lots of activities, quiet talks or having fun. All a matter of perspectives.

Good Luck in you search.
Old June 17th, 2001, 01:14 PM

Chrissy, I have cruised 7 times as a single and you will find as Frank says looking for a really good deal helps keep your costs down and also Carnival tiers their single supplement by the type of cabin. If you are happy with a minimum inside the supplement is only 150% but it goes up from there. For Royal Caribean and Celebrity it is always 200%. My last cruise was a Renaissance cruise booked when they had a no single supplement promotion, you just have to shop around.
I find cruising as a single well worth it you meet so many more people than if you cruise with friends.
Old June 17th, 2001, 10:34 PM

The best strategy for great fares is to watch for last-minute sales on undersold itineraries. Last year, for example, I took a ten-day cruise through the Panama Canal aboard MV Sun Princess for $1429 (plus air). If I remember correctly, that's about half of the published "early booking" discount fare.

The best times of the year to get bargains are:

>> January (after New Year's), and early February,

>> May and early June,

>> September through the middle of November (before Thanksgiving), and

>> Early December (between Thankksgiving and Christmas).

Schools usually are in session at these times, so families are not available to travel. Additionally, these periods tend to encompass repositioning so you might find unusual itineraries at heavily discounted prices.

Old June 18th, 2001, 01:23 AM

Simply due to the fact that no one else has mentioned it and also being somewhat off the general topic please allow me to make a comment about getting a cheep price on a cruise. First, if a cruise line has for example a ship holding 2,000 passengers it will inevitably have one of two factors with witch to contend. One being that it may not be fully booked shortly before sailing and second that there is bound to be last minute cancellations. In this event many lines if not all desperately fax every travel agent within reach with last minute specials to fill up the ship. This is not an advertised situation by travel agents seeking for a commission from a higher cruise price. Nevertheless, I have gone into my local travel agency asking to see the latest faxes on last minute cruise deals and found them very willing to show them to me. Usually several at any given time. It would probably be a good idea for anyone interested in price to check this out. One may then learn it not to be necessary to book several months in advance. Also if interested, one would have to have credit card in hand and be prepared to go home and pack! This is not a luxury to the normal working class with a schedule but is a learning experience well worth the price of zero.
Old June 23rd, 2006, 11:51 PM

You can get all of this information here.I am also a travel lover and this site has been helpfull

Hope it can help you

Old June 24th, 2006, 01:55 PM

Another tip on getting a good rate for single occupancy is to contact all the agencies listed on the Cruisemates singles calendar and tell them you would be interested in a last minute "deal." Sometimes they will have extra cabins left they were unable to sell and will let them go for what they are paying rather than turn them back into the cruise line. A travel agent told me this.