Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 4th, 2001, 02:04 PM
Teetime47

Default Cruising Single

I just found out that my travel buddy had death in his family and will not be able to make the cruise with me at the end of this month. Has any one travelled alone to Rome (or anywhere else) on the Graunder of the Seas? What is the atmosphere? Is it families and couples? Or, are there a fair number of individuals travelling alone? Are there activities and special events for folks traveling alone.

Any suggestions or advice will be appreciated.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old August 5th, 2001, 09:34 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Cruising Single

Teetime47,

Although not specifically on that ship, I have taken cruises "flying solo" and have never regretted it. Most cruise passengers are very interesting people who enjoy making new friends and welcoming all comers to events and activities. If you show up for activities, you will make plenty of new friends. You probably also will find plenty of other "solo" travellers -- especially if you go to the "singles" gatherings -- which are for people who are travelling alone, even if they have an "attachment" back home.

When travelling alone, I usually do try to sign up for tours -- especially on my first visit to foreign ports. Not only are tours a great place to meet people, but you also have the safety of travelling with a group under the care of a knowledgeable guide who can assist you to navigate the possible pitfalls of cultural differences. I have also found that most tour guides do explain local customs that are different from our own, thus sparing us potential major embarassment.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.
Old August 5th, 2001, 09:40 PM
Admiral

Teetime47,

Also, see <a href=http://www.cruise-forums.com/read.php?f=53&i=480&t=480> this thread </a> for more on cruising alone.

Norm.
Old August 5th, 2001, 11:00 PM
Pat Hagan, Singles Editor

I can only add to what Norm has already suggested. Just pack a positive attitude along with your cruise wardrobe. Get out and mingle. And don't worry if there aren't any other singles onboard. Everyone is there to have a good time, and married couples are fun to hook up with for sightseeing and going to shows with, etc. And even if you are on the shy side, make a real effort to be outgoing and push yourself to be a "joiner."

Good luck, and when you return, please post here on the Singles Message Board and let us know what a wonderful cruise you had.

Bon Voyage!
Pat Hagan, Singles Editor, Cruisemates.com
Old August 6th, 2001, 09:26 PM
CruisinSusan

Thanks for the information Norm. It is helpful. I also checked out the thread "Crusing Solo". There was some good advice there.

I'm so excited about going on this cruise. I've never been to Europe, and I've always wanted to go to Rome and Athens. I can't wait. I plan to take your advice and get out there and enjoy myself.

Thanks again.
Old August 15th, 2001, 05:11 PM
Lola

Pat, Maybe you can help me. I want to take aeuropean River Cruise sometime next year. I need a cabin mate. I am a active healthy 70 year old female, non smoker. I do not necessarily need a companion. But I would like someone who was compatible and easy to get along with.
Old August 21st, 2001, 11:41 PM

Lola, I'm sorry, but I don't know of any organized Singles Cruises for Europe next year. Wish I could be of more help.

Good luck.