Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 20th, 2002, 05:02 PM
MikeW

Default Single Suppliment

While the idea of a cruise sounds kind of interesting, there are a few things I find annoying about how the cruise lines work. Of the top ten of them, the first 8 are the single suppliment. I flat out refuse to pay double because I don't want a roommate. I was kind of hoping that with the recent slump in travel that the cruise lines would rethink this abomination.

Has this happened to any degree? I have to think that they're sailing with empty cabins at this point, and would rather have at least one paying customer in them than have them empty.
Sponsored Links
Old February 20th, 2002, 07:12 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Single Suppliment

Hi Mike,

The cruise industry has actually picked up to booking capacities similiar to before 9-11. Most ships are sailing at 90% capacity now if not fully booked due to spring break.

There were some fantastic deals last fall after 9-11. Both RCCL and Celebrity offered to waive the single suppliment rule for cruises booked by Dec 15th and travel before March 31st. I took advantage of this in December.

There are a few other specials which are periodically published here for other "single prices" for those who don't want to share a cabin with someone.

Good luck!
Old February 23rd, 2002, 08:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

I was fortunate last fall to book a cruise on the Explorer over New Years without the single supplement and at an unbelieveable price too. That was just pure luck and won't happen again I'm sure. You can sometimes find a single supplement less than 200 % but they are usually offered during off peak times. (which can be a great time to cruise) I know that Carnival has a 150% supplement on their Catetory 1A's (their lowest cats) I'm on an TA email list who occassionaly sends out information on cruises without the single supplement. If you'll email me, I'll be glad to forward you her email address.
Old February 25th, 2002, 09:00 PM
Pat Hagan, Singles Editor

Mike, I agree with you. A lot of people don't like paying extra to avoid sharing a cabin with a total stranger. However, on the organized singles cruises, where you would be paired up with someone as to age and smoking preferences, you actually have time to get to know them before the cruise through e-mail.

There are also other ways to meet your roomie before the cruise. If you go to Cruisemates' home page you will see my article on J.U.G.S. (Just Us Girls) which tells how women are getting around the singles supplement. Maybe you guys should do something similar.

Pat Hagan, Singles Editor, Cruisemates
Old February 26th, 2002, 10:24 AM
MikeW

Actually, I don't particularly like sharing a room even with someone I know. As far as the the group you are taking about, for reasons that are perfectly obvious, that doesn't do anything to help me. You also, in the article, didn't say anything about how they are getting around the singles suppliment, other than by sharing rooms.

I kind of assume you're in the travel industry, and not just an enthusiast. If so, do you know if anyone has worked on the cruise lines to do anything about this? I would think they'd get alot more business from singles if they eliminated, or at least toned down the suppliment. Maybe someone from Cruisemates or some other organization should approach them about this.
Old February 26th, 2002, 12:55 PM
David B.

I'm with Mike. I don't like sharing a room with someone, unless that person is already a good friend.
Old February 26th, 2002, 01:05 PM
judycruiser

Default Re: Single Supplement

Single travellers have been complaining very loudly to all parties in the travel industry including cruise lines about the single supplement for all the 25 years I have been cruising. Most of my cruises have been as a single. Not very likely that it will change any time in the near future.
Old February 26th, 2002, 10:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Nanci
Default Re: Single Supplement

I agree totally and completely with all you singles!! I am a frequent cruiser and do not like sharing a cabin, especially with an unknown. How can we convince the cruise lines to give us singles a break?
Old February 27th, 2002, 12:39 PM
MikeW

Default Chat with exec

Well, I thought I had seen a promo on one of the sites (Cruise Critic) promoting a chat session (tonight at 8:30, I think) with a marketing exec for Royal Carribean. However, I can't seem to find it now. Maybe it was cancelled?

Too bad, because this would have been the perfect forum to bring up this issue.
Old February 27th, 2002, 09:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Nanci
Default Re: Chat with exec

Mike: If you find it again please let me know. I think we singles need to ban together and try for it!!
Old February 28th, 2002, 12:37 PM
Voice of reason

Does any of you singles want to learn how to spell "supplement" correctly before you leave on your cruise?
Old February 28th, 2002, 11:25 PM

Mike, I am Singles Editor for Cruisemates. Not a travel agent. When I hear about good rates for singles I post the information, then pass along names of those interested to those who can provide more information.

Yes, Singles Cruises do "get around" the singles supplements by sharing cabins. And while I can certainly understand your not wanting to room with a stranger, some people don't mind and wind up making lifelong friends. It's all a matter of preference. But,like you, I also wish the cruise lines would offer special rates to those who don't want to double with someone.

Best wishes,
Old April 1st, 2002, 03:19 PM
Beginner

I agree, I want to go on a cruise badly. And can't afford to pay double and refuse to . I think it is very unfair. I do not have a problem sharing a cabin with someone, another single female with simular interests. etc. Carol