Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 25th, 2002, 10:31 PM
Pat Hagan, Singles Editor

Default Best ships for Single parents?

A single parent recently posted a message inquiring about cruising with a child. How about it, singles? Have any of you cruised with your children? If so, tell us how it was and which ship you would, or would not, recommend. And did you have opportunities to meet others in similar situations? Maybe even meet someone special even though you were traveling with your child?

Remember: Inquiring single minds want to know. :-))

Sponsored Links
Old March 27th, 2002, 07:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Best ships for Single parents?

I cruised over New Years with my 17 yr old son on the Explorer of the Seas. I specifically chose this ship because of the activities for him and he did have a great time. I also had hoped that since it was a New Year's cruise, there would be more singles....but not quite. From a single, 40 something point of view, compared to my other two cruises it was harder to meet other singles on this cruise or at least I didn't run into them. It seemed to me there were very few singles (my age at least) and many many familes. When I cruise alone, I prefer to pick a time of year with fewer children aboard. I found more singles cruise off peak times. However, traveling with my son, since I want him to meet others his age and have a good time, then the peak times when more children are cruising, might seem a better choice. It's really a tough decision, to find a cruise that will appease both you as a single and also your children. I did notice however, that I found more singles in my age group on both of my Carnival cruises (one was off peak and the other I took in June) versus the RCCL cruise I sailed on. To sum up my rambling, maybe a Carnival cruise on a Destiny class ship (bigger ship i.e. more opportunites to meet singles) during the summer (when more children sail) might work.

Now that I said all that, my next cruise will be on the Conquest over New Years. True, I don't expect alot of singles (based on my last experience), but I convinced 3 other single girlfriends to go with me, so I'm sure we'll have a great time!
Old March 28th, 2002, 09:27 AM

Default Re: Re: Best ships for Single parents?

Janice, the Carnival ships have proverbially attracted singles in all age groups over other cruise ships. And while I am confident you will enjoy your New Year's cruise with your girlfriends I would still recommend you go on an organized New Year's singles cruise for a better chance at meeting that special someone...or at least to have someone to dance under the stars with.<BG>

Check out the singles cruise calendar under the singles sections of Cruisemates. You'll find some great prices.

Good luck.
Old March 28th, 2002, 09:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks Pat, I will defiinitely check out the calendar!
Old December 12th, 2002, 10:47 PM
Jim432

Hello to all. I'm a 44 year old full time custodial parent cruising with kids (15,6,4) for the first time, beginning the 22nd of December on the Carnival Conquest. Any advice or suggestions would be welcome.
Old December 13th, 2002, 05:27 PM
Admiral

You, sir, are a brave man!

Regards,
Thomas
Old December 14th, 2002, 08:38 AM

I have observed a lot of teens on cruise ships with "walkie-talkies" so their parents can keep up with them. A really good idea, and you can get some very economical models at places like K-Mart and Wal-mart, usually $20-29.00.

Most ships have teen programs in addition to organized/supervised children's activities.
My only advice is to keep up with where they are at all times; thus, the walkie-talkie, as cell phones at sea do not work.

Have fun!