Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 28th, 2002, 10:29 AM
Pat Hagan, Singles Editor

Default Your first solo cruise

Would anyone like to tell us about your first ever solo cruise? We'd love to hear all about it!

Pat Hagan, Singles Editor, Cruisemates
Sponsored Links
Old March 28th, 2002, 05:19 PM
TomS

Default Re: Your first solo cruise

I don't know if being a single as part of a singles group counts, but I got back from the 3/3/2002 Paradise sailing as part of one of the singles cruises on this board. I had a great time, and would definately do it again. I was assigned a roommate with our group, and he was a nice guy from Louisiana and re really hit it off, even though I kept calling him "Steve" when his name was "Christopher".. On the first night, I met a great woman in our group. We were at the same table for dinner, and afterwords we went to the disco. We got in some good dancing, some of which was pretty close (her hand was in my FRONT pocket during a slow song). Unfortunately, her ex-boyfriend was also in our group, and on the second day, they decided to hook back up (I think I was being played). Oh well, all it cost me was 30 hours of my cruise and $3.45 for a box of condoms (and I still have them all). After I found out everyone else was pretty much hooled up already, I gave up the hunt for a romantic interest and decided to have fun. I tried to participate in as many group activities as I could, and see what happened. That strategy worked well. I had a good time, and made some very good friends. The conga line was a highlight. Many people form my table mates to the matre-d said I looked great on the replays they played on the ship's TV. Aparently, I was the only one who knew how to do the Macarena. I am looking forward to my next cruise. I am seriously thinking about the Halloween cruise, but I haven't made a firm decision. I will probabilly decide sometime in mid-May after I've paid my taxes and have some money for the deposit.
Old April 1st, 2002, 08:35 PM
First Mate

I had been on 3 NCL cruises and on 3 Celebrity cruises prior to my first solo cruise - it was WONDERFUL! I chose a 10-night Celebrity repostioning cruise (San Francisco to Alaska). The reason...I had been to Alaska 2x previously and knew the layout (comfort level) and had sailed Celebrity, so I not only knew the cadence of the week, but also some crew.

I was VERY LUCKY to meet a wonderful group of fellow cruisers on the cruisecritic site and felt I had many friends before I even got on the ship. As a group who met online, we had two parties planned and ended up getting together each night in the disco, joining each other on some excursions, etc. I didn't dine with anyone in the group, but I had requested a table with a wait assistant I knew.

It was great to have a cabin to myself for a retreat when I wanted, to take my time in getting dressed in the evening, etc. I never felt lonely with all the activities, new friends, crew, etc. I don't think I would do a solo to a foreign country, yet, but am getting close!. Of course, once the crew know you are traveling solo...beware. I was indulged in free champagne, fruit basket, wine, and many invitations...enjoy the attention......with caution.

Since I had been to AK already, I wandered in a few ports, enjoyed the ship while others were racing around for the "once in a lifetime experience," and chatted with new friends. I met 5 great guys from Mexico who helped me with my Spanish and are still in touch via email. Also, I was at all evening dance optins - they always have some nights and as TomS posted previous to me, these are a great way to get involved and meet people. I, too, was all over the end of the cruise video...macarena, country night, twist contest, etc.

I sailed "solo" a second time this past January. Cabin to myself - wonderful again, but traveled with two friends I met last May. This group from May (Infinity) was so great, we are going on a reunion cruise together (47 in the group - we have added some new folks) at the end of April.

I'll check back and will be happy to answer questions.
Nancy
Old April 5th, 2002, 03:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Your first solo cruise

I enjoyed reading about your solo cruise experience. My first cruise I went solo and was lucky enough to be "roommated" with a wonderful woman. We have since become good friends. We enjoyed all the excursions together as well as alone time. I'm cruiing on the Fantasy in April, also solo, But with a cabin to myself. It's just 4 days long, but i'm hoping I'll have a good time w/o anyone! I'd like to meet follow single cruisers (I'm 35) on here if possible for future trips. Any suggestions?
Old April 10th, 2002, 09:54 PM
Doris

Not sure this really counts as a solo cruise but I am 70 and placed an ad for another solo for a cruise to Alaska.
My only reply was from a gentleman of 73 from Canada. We talked a few times, laid down some ground rules and made arrangements for the cruise.
The night before I asked if he could change his room accomodations at a B&B for a double. He called back and said it had been taken care of. When I got to the B&B he greeted me at the door in his Scottish lilt with "Oh, Doris, they gave our room away and we only have a queen size bed" Yeah, right!!! Well, I got to room and sure enough it was a queen!! I said to myself ...when in Rome....so I got in my head -to -toe flannel gown and we slept in the same bed. Mr. George was a perfect gentleman. The next night at dinner while introducing ourselves, George broke the ice, by introducing himself, where he was from and proceeded to tell them I was from California, that we had just met yesterday and we were already sleeping together!! That broke the ice with everyone at the table and it was all uphill from there. We enjoyed ourselves so much we took a 25 day, back to back cruise and again had a great time.
No romantic inclinations for either of us. Would I take the chance again?? You betcha.
Old April 18th, 2002, 02:02 PM
Yeoman

Hi-
I am a 42 year old single female.
Seriously thinking about taking the Halloween cruise (Oct 27-Nov 3rd) and going solo.
Are there any fun ladies around my age that are needing a cabin-mate?
I am outgoing and like to drink and dance.
I guess I'm more of a night owl then a early to bed person, if I had to pick one.

I'd also like to hear from anyone who is going on that cruise just so I might know some people if I decide to go. (I'm pretty sure I am).

Thanks,
Linda.