Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 17th, 2002, 09:53 PM
Pat Hagan, Singles Editor

Default Single Cruisers for older cruisers?

How many of you would like to see singles cruises offered for the more mature? I'm hearing from a lot of people who are not thrilled to find themselves outnumbered by the younger generation. (By "more mature" I mean 50+.)

Also, do you think it's a plus to have a travel coordinator onboard with the more mature or would you just as soon go on with a crowd and wing it by yourselves?

Please post your opinions here on the Singles message board.
Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Old July 18th, 2002, 01:04 PM
J. V. Hawley

Default Re: Single Cruisers for older cruisers?

I would love to see some group singles cruises for the 50+ crowd. I would think there would be a lot of interest in these cruises. My wife passed away recently, we took many cruises, but now that I no longer have my cruising companion, what do I do. I get the impression that if I took one of the singles cruises now offered, I would find a crowd much younger than me. I would think there would be many people in my position who would love to take a 50+ cruise.
Old July 18th, 2002, 04:55 PM
Beginner

I will be going on my first cruise in August, with my three children. I am hoping for a great experience and planning to book a cruise for myself (I am a single mom) if all goes alright.

I would love to see a singles cruise for my age bracket..hate to say it, but the more mature.

Thanks,
Old July 19th, 2002, 07:19 AM
LKA

First, drop the age to 40ish +. But I think "mature" is more of a state of mind. I am not, and really never have been a party person. I go on a trip to relax, not to be doing something every minute.

I enjoy the historical type tours when in port, and relaxing on deck watching the waves go by.

Maybe rather than group by age, group by "style". (i.e., a cruise for partiers, a cruise for non-partiers, a cruise for in-betweeners)
Old July 20th, 2002, 05:57 PM

I am getting a lot of e-mail from people who would like to see a cruise for the "more mature," so I will be writing an article on that soon. I will let everyone know when it is up. Meanwhile, please keep posting your opinions here.
Thanks,
Old July 21st, 2002, 03:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Single Cruisers for older cruisers?

I agree with the person who asked that the age be dropped to 40ish. As a single lady in my mid 40's, I am not interested in the 20-30 crowd. I would be very interested in this type of cruise, like some partying but also the cultural aspects of the ports. Keep us updated! I haven't booked for '03 yet so will be looking for where/what cruise i want.
Can't wait till Aug.28, leave on Carnival Spirit to Alaska. I am going solo this trip, my first attempt at this. Wish me a great time!
Old July 21st, 2002, 10:18 PM
CK

Default Re: Re: Re: Single Cruisers for older cruisers?

I know you will have a wonderful time I hope you will save a Dance for Me Virtually

Chetter
swm/50/Portland
Old July 22nd, 2002, 07:30 AM

Have a wonder ful cruise and please tell us all about it when you return, here on Cruisemates singles message board.

Bon voyage!
Old July 23rd, 2002, 10:29 AM
Cruise Maniac

I agree with several of the other posters. Please consider dropping the age limit to 40 as I'm in my early 40's but I have a son in his 20's! For the most part and I'm not saying all the time, there are distinct differences in interests, life experiences, and maturity (which is relative!) between the 20-30ish crowd and the 40 and over. We aren't old by no means, still young at heart and like to have fun but how we go about it is different then with the younger crowd. Also, at at this stage of the game in our lifes, the priorities are different then when we were in our 20's or 30's.

The 20-30 group can be fun to hang out with at times but it's not how I would like to spend my whole cruise. I have found on the cruises I've been on, that it's extremely difficult to meet other singles in my age group and older. I know they are out there, because I've run into them here and there, but I think that most shy away from the singles togethers onboard, perhaps thinking that only the younger crowd attends. Who knows, I'm not really sure. I think that to get everyone together, the best way is to form a group and market it towards the "mature" traveler. Organize activities that are fun but more in line with what appeals to us. I think you'll find alot of interest with this idea. I hope you'll continue to explore it.
Old July 23rd, 2002, 06:02 PM
Passenger

I agree with several of the posters(40+ would be a good age break). I will keep watching and hope a group can be "rounded up" (quess where I live).
Old July 24th, 2002, 04:20 PM
Viola Markley

I Am single and 69 in good health would like to know more about older cruise for single

Vi.
Old July 25th, 2002, 11:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

I travel with my mother and aunt, and we have been on cruise and are planning our second. I tried for weeks to hookup with "mature" 50+ singles, and had no luck, so we're winging it. I'm actually taking travel classes and I plan to start offering group packages via the Internet.

Wish me luck. I'm looking forward to reading your article.

Betty
Old July 29th, 2002, 07:29 PM
Auguste Herrin

By all means, we need this my husband died in march and I am not about to sit home the rest of my life, Have been trying to decide for 3 weeks now, if I should sign on for the Halloween cruise. Will I stick out like a sore thumb?? I am 71 still working, can walk all day if I have to and go on all the tours the younger ones are, as I travled mostly with my niece. Have been on many Carnival Cruises, but never by myself.
Old July 31st, 2002, 03:41 PM
Passenger

I agree that the starting point for "mature" singles cruisers should be 40+. I am 59 and have been hesitant to go on singles cruises believing that everyone else would be 20-30ish. A 40+ cruise would defintely get me interested.
Old August 9th, 2002, 06:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to Sherry
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Single Cruisers for older cruisers?

I have never been on a cruise because I figured it would be all couples or families. I would LOVE to find a Cruise aimed for the more "mature" (I'm 55). Pleaaaaase; someone who knows how to do this, take the ball and run with this. I bet they could fill up a whole ship with us "gad-abouts".
Old August 9th, 2002, 11:10 PM
Luther Myrvold

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Single Cruisers for older cruisers?

I have been on 4 cruises as a single, once with friends and 3 times just a single. I have always enjoyed myself. A ship that has a good number of older cruisers, but also plenty of other ages is the most desirable for me. I have never minded well controlled little ones ( I am a doting grandpa). So that's what I would like-not only a bunch of people my age, 62, but others as well. Sherry wrote:
Old August 30th, 2002, 06:59 PM
lam

Well, this surely has me intrigued! I'm a 40+ woman who would love to try a cruise on my own and meet other folks of my age and, more importantly, attitude. Has there been any follow-up on this idea from the person who began the thread?
Old September 12th, 2002, 01:29 AM
Cruise Maniac

I'm going to put together some trips for next year. I'll put together a mailing list.

What time(s) of year would be good? What ports of call should we start with?