Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

Old October 14th, 2002, 11:03 AM
Pat Hagan, Singles Editor

Default Sleeping With Strangers

Hi everybody,

Recently I had a bad experience sharing a cabin with a stranger. You can read my article about it-- "Sleeping With Strangers" -- on Cruisemates' home page.

Pat Hagan, Singles Editor
Old October 14th, 2002, 01:32 PM
LKA

Default Re: Sleeping With Strangers

You experience sounds like several I have had, except I was sharing with my sister. Between the roommates I had at camp, school, and shared apartments with, often for an entire year, I figure a 7-10 cruise can be tolerated. Besides, I am capable of being roommate from heck myself.
Old October 15th, 2002, 07:57 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Sleeping With Strangers

LKA,

Besides, I am capable of being roommate from heck myself.

We all are capable of doing that. If I'm in that disposition, though, I feel some degree of obligation to book single occupancy to avoid spoiling somebody else's cruise....

Norm.
Old October 15th, 2002, 08:42 PM
TomS

Pat,

What a horrible, selfish roommate you had. It is too bad that other people must foce everyone else to comply with their wishes and desires without regard of the other person. Fortunately, hou had a short cruise, so you didn't have to suffer too much.

TomS
Old October 16th, 2002, 01:14 AM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Pat,
Thanks so much for taking the time to write about your experience on this cruise. So far I've lucked out on sharing rooms on the few tours I've taken. Like you said a bad share can really put a damper on ones enjoyment of a cruise.
Sorry you had such a bad experience on this cruise. Your story will make me think twice before I agree to a share again with someone I don't know.
Faith
Old October 16th, 2002, 06:47 AM
Beginner

Hi Pat,
Sorry you had the cabin mate from hell. My two experiences have been just the opposite. I posted an ad...got an email from a gentleman...we talked, emailed and were both up front about our idiosyncrasies. Our first cruise was for 7 days, it went so well, we did another for 25 days. A real test...again all went well.
My second experience was with a lady for a European tour for two weeks. Again, we were honest and upfront. You are correct in that dialogue might have prevented your situation....then again, someone as rude as she would probably not be forthright.
I am 72 years old, go with the flow type person but in your situation, I could respond in kind.
Anyone looking for a non-smoker, snorer, uses bathroom at night, reads after 10, does not hog the closets, doesn't wear perfume, can be quiet or talkative, with a quick sense of humor ????? Email me.