CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Singles (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/singles/)
-   -   Australia cruise (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/singles/285146-australia-cruise.html)

Naomi October 14th, 2002 08:20 PM

Australia cruise

Hello - I am sailing alone on the Regal Princess Australia/New Zealand cruise on 9 Mar 03. I am a 45 yo single woman...is anyone out there also going on that trip? Thanks.

Angela October 18th, 2002 06:42 AM

Re: Australia cruise

Naomi:

I have been considering this trip, but am hesitant because of the lengthy flights. Also, have not seen any great deals for single occupancy. Did you find a bargain?

Angela

Naomi October 19th, 2002 12:26 PM

Re: Re: Australia cruise

Hi, Angela. I found what I think is a "deal" on the "Vacationstogo.com" website. They were advertising an outside cabin for $999 (of course, air fare is extra). Now, when I called the agent started going over the singles supplement info (you know, the gazillion percent extra you pay for cruising alone). I'd offered to book in under "single share," in which I'd pay a certain price and the cruise line would try to get me a roomie; if they couldn't match me with anyone I get the cabin to myself for the quoted price. But that turned out to be more expensive than the offer they made me for a single cabin - $1920. Another issue with that cruise is it sails out of Auckland and ends in Sydney, which means (on your own) you must either pay for 2 one-way flights (very pricey) or I was going to catch a smaller flight from Sydney back to Auckland, at the end of the cruise, so I could do a round-trip fare out of Auckland. Doing that would cost me $1800+; Princess provided the air fare for around $1100 (into Auckland, out of Sydney). The flight time from LA to Auckland is around 11 hours, I think. From where would you be flying to LA? I also booked a night at the Regency in Sydney so I could see a little of the city prior to coming back home. My total price (cruise (single room), air fare, hotel) was around $3600, which I think is a pretty good deal for a 12-day trip and the flight down there. If you are at all interested in talking a little more, and perhaps deciding to room together to get a cheaper rate, I'd be open to that. Like I said I am 45 and single (not gay, in case that would be an issue) and a nonsmoker. Let me know if you have any more questions - Naomi

Angela October 21st, 2002 11:04 AM

Re: Re: Re: Australia cruise

Hi Naomi:

I am so torn here! This cruise sounds great -- very close to what I originally wanted to do. But then others sound great as well, a 14-day South America cruise (Celebrity) and then there's a late April 9-day transatlantic cruise (Princess). I'm really not a comfortable airplane passenger, so the transatlantic trip is appealing because there's a few less hours in the air, and one way of it at that. But I just returned from one of those, so I'm thinking I should expand my horizons. So torn -- I've got to think on this one for a little while. I appreciate the offer to consider being roomies to cut the expenses. That does help immensely deal with the vacation budget! I met up with someone on the transatlantic trip I just took and it seemed to work out. Would you mind if I contacted you directly through your e-mail? I keep losing track of these various message boards and have to do a search on each one to find my way back. Feel free to contact me directly as well -- I just put in my e-mail address.

Thanks,
Angela