Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 14th, 2002, 08:20 PM
Beginner

Default Australia cruise

Hello - I am sailing alone on the Regal Princess Australia/New Zealand cruise on 9 Mar 03. I am a 45 yo single woman...is anyone out there also going on that trip? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old October 18th, 2002, 06:42 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Australia cruise

Naomi:

I have been considering this trip, but am hesitant because of the lengthy flights. Also, have not seen any great deals for single occupancy. Did you find a bargain?

Angela
Old October 19th, 2002, 12:26 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Australia cruise

Hi, Angela. I found what I think is a "deal" on the "Vacationstogo.com" website. They were advertising an outside cabin for $999 (of course, air fare is extra). Now, when I called the agent started going over the singles supplement info (you know, the gazillion percent extra you pay for cruising alone). I'd offered to book in under "single share," in which I'd pay a certain price and the cruise line would try to get me a roomie; if they couldn't match me with anyone I get the cabin to myself for the quoted price. But that turned out to be more expensive than the offer they made me for a single cabin - $1920. Another issue with that cruise is it sails out of Auckland and ends in Sydney, which means (on your own) you must either pay for 2 one-way flights (very pricey) or I was going to catch a smaller flight from Sydney back to Auckland, at the end of the cruise, so I could do a round-trip fare out of Auckland. Doing that would cost me $1800+; Princess provided the air fare for around $1100 (into Auckland, out of Sydney). The flight time from LA to Auckland is around 11 hours, I think. From where would you be flying to LA? I also booked a night at the Regency in Sydney so I could see a little of the city prior to coming back home. My total price (cruise (single room), air fare, hotel) was around $3600, which I think is a pretty good deal for a 12-day trip and the flight down there. If you are at all interested in talking a little more, and perhaps deciding to room together to get a cheaper rate, I'd be open to that. Like I said I am 45 and single (not gay, in case that would be an issue) and a nonsmoker. Let me know if you have any more questions - Naomi
Old October 21st, 2002, 11:04 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Australia cruise

Hi Naomi:

I am so torn here! This cruise sounds great -- very close to what I originally wanted to do. But then others sound great as well, a 14-day South America cruise (Celebrity) and then there's a late April 9-day transatlantic cruise (Princess). I'm really not a comfortable airplane passenger, so the transatlantic trip is appealing because there's a few less hours in the air, and one way of it at that. But I just returned from one of those, so I'm thinking I should expand my horizons. So torn -- I've got to think on this one for a little while. I appreciate the offer to consider being roomies to cut the expenses. That does help immensely deal with the vacation budget! I met up with someone on the transatlantic trip I just took and it seemed to work out. Would you mind if I contacted you directly through your e-mail? I keep losing track of these various message boards and have to do a search on each one to find my way back. Feel free to contact me directly as well -- I just put in my e-mail address.

Thanks,
Angela