CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Singles (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/singles/)
-   -   Question for 2003 cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/singles/285217-question-2003-cruising.html)

Pat Hagan, Singles Editor December 27th, 2002 02:42 PM

Question for 2003 cruising

Hi everybody,

I was just wondering and thought it would be fun to ask: If you could cruise anywhere, any ship, and any time of the year, what would be your picks and why?

I think 2003 is going to be an exciting year to cruise. Right now I am planning to do a Valentine's Day singles cruise and one from Tampa in March.

Happy Holidays!
Pat Hagan, Singles Editor

New Yorker December 27th, 2002 03:09 PM

Re: Question for 2003 cruising

Pat,

I would love to do a cruise to Europe leaving from Barcelona, Spain this coming June. The cruise I am referring to is being sponsored by Discount Travel (Singlescruises.com). I am, however, not sure if I would be able to go. I will be cruising with this organization next month, so I also want to see if I would want to cruise with them again. If not, I would still like to take another cruise in the summer or later in the year, not necessarily to this destination.

Lady from New York

saxacd December 28th, 2002 08:42 PM

With a significant other -- a Tahiti cruise
By myself or with friends -- Southern Caribbean

So far, both of these are purely hypothetical : )

TomS December 29th, 2002 12:08 AM

If money and time were no object, I would like to do a Panama Canal cruise or a Trans-Atlantic cruise. The Panama Canal cruise would be fun to see the canal in action from a very unique perspective,and the Transatlantic cruise would be a great way to expierence what our ansesters did (but we would be in 1st class luxury while they did it for the most part in steerage)

TomS

Kathleen January 3rd, 2003 06:22 PM

I am doing it three times - not on the ships I would prefer - looked for bargains so took what I could afford:

Alaska - on the Norwegian Wind in June

Northern Europe - on the Norwegian Dream in August

and

South America - on the Norwegian Crown Odyssey which I hear is the best of the three.

I would love to afford to go on Crystal Cruises on these cruises, but one takes what one can afford.

But I do love the Legend of the Seas.

Faith January 4th, 2003 08:23 AM

A cruise wish list--where to begin.
I could probably cruise Alaska every year of my life. This year I'm doing the Star Princess to Alaska with some email gal pals in May.
Someday would love to cruise the Panama Canal, the Med, Europe, Austrailia/NZ, maybe Asia, etc. etc. -- now if I could just win the lottery.
Faith

Pat Hagan, Singles Editor January 5th, 2003 10:36 PM

Re: Re: Question for 2003 cruising

I think if I won the lottery I would plan to spend my "golden years" cruising 365 days a year, going on each and every ship until I found the one I loved the best, and then live it on it the rest of my life (in a deluxe suite, of course.).

I recall that a few years ago there was a little old lady who actually lived on the Norway. She had an inside cabin on B deck for probably $2-300 a week. She said she could live cheaper that way than being in a retirement home.. I don't know whatever happened to her, but the last time I saw her she was having a ball.

Anna-Maria January 7th, 2003 08:14 PM

If money was no object I'd spend a year onboard "The World" (Residensea).

Or is that cheating?

;-)
Anna-Maria
Canberra, Australia's capital

Pat Hagan, Singles Editor January 7th, 2003 11:10 PM

No, that's not cheating, and if I could afford it I would be your cruising neighbor! I would love to spend a year on that ship!!

norm January 9th, 2003 09:51 PM

Pat,

I'm ready to cruise pretty much anywhere if I can get a reasonable fare for single occupancy. Since I'm booked on a cruise to French Polynesia and Samoa aboard MV [i] Tahitian Princess [/i[ on 24 March, I guess that's my most immediate choice.

I really am not sure where I will cruise next, or on which line. I have been quite satisfied with Princess Cruises (the next cruise will be #13 over about five years), but the cruise that's booked will be my last cruise with Princess if the merger of the parent company, P&O Princess Cruises Plc. (LSE: POC) with Carnival Corporation (NYSE: CCL) gains sharehodler approval. As a former naval officer, I am less than impressed by what I have seen of the way that Carnival Corporation maintains its vessels (across all lines) and by the stream of operational disasters (fires, losses of propulsion at sea, etc.) that such shabby maintenance is likely to have caused. The fire aboard MV [i] Ecstacy [i/] that produced spectacular footage for television news a couple hears ago was far from an isolated incident. It was unique only in that it happened within sight of land where the television crew could record it. It's impossible to understate the severity of these incidents, which endanger both the vessel and all aboard.

If the shareholders of P&O Princess Cruises Plc. approve the proposed merger, I probably will try either Celebrity Cruises or Royal Caribbean International -- and I might try both before choosing one or the other. Both lines seem to have stellar reputations and I have been very impressed by what I have seen of their vessels, which always appear to be impeccably maintained. If the shareholders of P&O Princess Cruises Plc. reject the proposed merger, I probably will return to Princess Cruises in the future. Do not look for me aboard any vessel owned or operated by Carnival Corporation.

Norm.

norm January 9th, 2003 09:56 PM

Re: Re: Re: Question for 2003 cruising

Pat,

I think if I won the lottery I would plan to spend my "golden years" cruising 365 days a year, going on each and every ship until I found the one I loved the best, and then live it on it the rest of my life (in a deluxe suite, of course.).

That sounds wonderful!

OTOH, if I really hit the lottery, I would consider starting a new cruise line that would go all over the world. Done properly, the other passengers would pay me to cruise in the Owner's Suite (which the owner really would occupy!) for life....

tr cruiser January 19th, 2003 10:23 AM

I would love to do a cruise that stops at every major US port from Boston to Seattle. Unfortunately, some protectionist legislation prevents it from ever happening. Next choice would be a long cruise down the western coast of North America and South America to Antarctica. I find the standard itineraries for the Carribean and Mediterranean get old after a while and the ports are too crowded.

Post Edited (01-19-03 10:32)

Solotravler January 24th, 2003 11:14 AM

I'm going on my 1st cruise 4/11-4/14 Royal Caribbean. I booked it on yourowncabin.com, which means NO single supplement or shared room. I think that's the main reason I chose this trip plus I can't beat the price .

MYLES January 24th, 2003 01:35 PM

I am new to this site but I would like to respond to your question. I saw a special on The Travel Channel about "a CARNIVAL celebration" that is held in Port of Spain,Trinidad. It looked like it rivaled the ones in Rio and New Orleans. I have never seen a singles cruise to Trinidad and as a matter of fact, I only know of 2 ships that even go there. Those ships are the Royal Olympic Voyager and Holland America's Volendam. Well anyway, that celebration was the most uninhibited and exciting street party that I have ever seen. If I ever see a singles cruise to that port during that celebration, I would not hesitate for a second to sign up. Thanks

Luther January 26th, 2003 05:31 AM

Because I live in the Pacific, I would rather cruise in my hemisphere: Asia and western Pacific. I have enjoyed 14 day cruises, but I would like to try a cruise around 20 days. Perhaps Sydney to Singapore or on to Hong Kong. Neat idea. Any ship is a good ship. I'm easy.

norm January 29th, 2003 08:24 PM

tr cruiser

I would love to do a cruise that stops at every major US port from Boston to Seattle.

Actually, it would be no problem at all -- so long as you include a stop at a "distant foreign port" on the itinerary. Since you have to get from the Atlantic to the Pacific, a stop at a "distant foreign port" would be a very minor detour.

>> If you go through the Panama Canal, just stop at Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao, or Cartagena en route.

>> If you go around Cape Horn, just stop anywhere in South America -- Rio de Janiero, for example.

>> If you go the long way, any port of call in Europe, Asia, Africa, or any foreign Pacific island would meet the requirement.

It could be done!

Norm.

tr cruiser January 29th, 2003 11:53 PM

I'm not sure if I understand all the intricacies of the Passenger Service Act, but I believe there's a restriction against foreign ships having itineraries that start at one US port and end at another. From an online discussion of the consequences of the act -
Quote:

Suppose you were one of the passengers on the Statendam this year, going on the one-way cruise to Hawaii from San Diego (as opposed to the 16-day roundtrip). The round-trip cruisers got on and got off in San Diego, but the one-way passengers waved goodbye to the Statendam in San Diego, then hopped on a bus at the crack of dawn the next morning, bussed to Ensenada, Mexico, and then boarded the Statendam - all because of the PSA. The Statendam didn't even stay long enough for other passengers to go ashore for the day. Can such a silly routine make any sense?
So it sounds like a foreign port doesn't satisfy the rule if the start and end points differ.

Post Edited (01-30-03 11:44)

john- January 30th, 2003 12:38 PM

I would like to cruise the more EXOTIC itineraries.

I have cruise the eastern/western/southern caribbean many times getting tired of the same old caribbean islands.

I have also sailed the Alaska, Mexico from LA, New England & Nova Scotia from NY.

Auguste January 31st, 2003 10:05 AM

Tahiti, if there where a cruisline with a reasonable single supplement, since air from the east coast is terrible expensive.
I am in my golden years and sure wish I could cruise for a year , that would be sooo
nice. My next preference would be a Baltic and a Spain-Italy cruise, Hawaii again. Have seen all the Islands in the Caribbean
Well if you wish, might as well wish big. Auguste

Gary January 31st, 2003 11:22 AM

If I could find a cruise line that offered an adult cruise( no one under 21on the ship) and the ports of call were one of a kind I would do that .

Stacey419 January 31st, 2003 01:16 PM

try Windjammer

If you want to go to unique islands (that most larger ships cannot and/or do not visit) and you are looking for a true sailing experience, Windjammer may be a fun trip for you. They do have single sailings where everyone is over 21 (between 60 and 120 passengers, depending on the ship).Gary wrote: