Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 11th, 2003, 07:19 PM
Brett

Default Alaskan cruises and singles

I was wondering about the demographics on Alaskan cruises. I am a single male/30 yrs. old. Would I find any single travelers in my age range on any of these cruises, or is it typically an older crowd?

Thanks for your input!
Brett Thompson
Sponsored Links
Old June 11th, 2003, 08:22 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Alaskan cruises and singles

Brett,

I was wondering about the demographics on Alaskan cruises. I am a single male/30 yrs. old. Would I find any single travelers in my age range on any of these cruises, or is it typically an older crowd?

Alaska cruises actually tend to draw a much younger demographic than most other cruise destinations, primarily because there's a real "adventure" orientation associated with that destination -- and many cruise lines are responding by offering excursions that include physically demanding activities such as hiking, mountain climbing, kayaking and ocean canoeing, and various glacier treks.

The proportion between singles and married folks on any cruise is hard to predict, but most cruise passengers enjoy meeting new people and making new friends. The odds are that you'll meet at least a few singles on any of the major lines, but you probably will find that you will have a great time even if you have the misfortune of being on a sailing that does not have many single passengers.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.
Old June 12th, 2003, 12:22 PM
Pat Hagan, Singles Editor

Default Re: Re: Alaskan cruises and singles

I just returned from Alaska but was not on a cruise. I was on excursions for the land packages. I did, however, hear several of Celebrity's passengers say that most people on their cruise were much older and they did not see any singles. I really think finding other singles on an Alaskan cruise is "iffy." But you can always post here on the Singles message board to ask for opinions from past Alaskan cruisers.

Old June 12th, 2003, 12:53 PM
Shipbound

Default Re: Re: Re: Alaskan cruises and singles

I agree with Pat I've heard from the crew on other ships the Alaskan cruises are filled
with the elderly mainly because they have the time and the$$$$$ Do you think this
statement is true?
Old June 19th, 2003, 03:32 PM
spirit

Im going on the Sprit 8/20 Alaska cruise and also was hoping to find someone in my age group 30-40. If anyone else is going solo on that particular cruise...please email.
Old June 23rd, 2003, 05:18 PM
tuneful

Good topic. I went on a Celebrity cruise on Horizon in W Caribb this winter (I guess I can just comment on that ship and line). From a singles point of view, terrible--all couples and families from what I could tell. However, the food, the shows, adn the room (no single supp) were excellent. I met a number of seniors who were planning Alaska cruises. Yep, they had the time and $$$$. I don't regret the cruise, I got a good rest, but I would not choose that line for singles sociability. On the upside, it was a well-behaved crowd, so if you don't want a "Carnival" type crowd or drowds loud and out of control, Celebrity is good.
Old June 24th, 2003, 01:35 AM

Default Re: Re: Alaskan cruises and singles

Thanks for sharing your experiences. People considering cruising solo need to know as much as possible about the ships they are interested in, and one way to do that is hear from other singles who have been on a particular ship.

Old June 24th, 2003, 03:05 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: Re: Alaskan cruises and singles

add me to the list.

im a single "young at heart 54 yr old" who is going solo on my first cruise.

im not going to be looking for a relationship or anything like that. i just want to have a great cruise, meet some nice fun people and have a wonderful cruise. i am not a bashful person so i know i will run across some other solo passerngers like myself. i know there are other singles out there who will be on the:::::::::::

CARNIVLA SPIRT, INSIDE PASSAGE, SEPT 10 TO THE 17TH. i hope we can all find each other on the ship and have a drink together. dusty
Old June 30th, 2003, 01:02 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Alaskan cruises and singles

just read through these post again and realized somehow i missed some very important facts. (i must have been half asleep at the time).

first of all i am not OLD. i am a young at heart 54 yr old lady who feels younger, takes care of herself and does NOT look dowdy.

also i choose the carnival because of a terrific price, itinerary and what i would be experiencing in alaska.

i do not have alot of money, i saved for over a year to take this cruise and did alot of cost cutting and comparing for my shore trips. some people like to travel, meet other nice passengers and have a good time that does not harm or annoy others.

i hope to meet others on this cruise who want the same kind of trip i do.

i will be on the deck drinking a glass of wine hoping to meet others YOUNG AND OLD who just want the same kind of cruise i do.

enough said from me!!!!!!
Old July 1st, 2003, 09:40 AM

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Alaskan cruises and singles

Of course, you are NOT old! And you deserve to have a wonderful cruise, and I wish I were going so we could share a glass of wine on deck together. You sound like an ideal cruise companion!

Cruisemates

Old July 9th, 2003, 10:15 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Alaskan cruises and singles

Shipbound,

I've heard from the crew on other ships the Alaskan cruises are filled
with the elderly mainly because they have the time and the$$$$$ Do you think this
statement is true?

I believe that might be true of the cruise-tour options and of certain cruise lines, but not so true in general. On my cruise to Alaska aboard MV Sun Princess last August, my tablemates consisted of (1) a widow from upstate New York, who probably was in her 50's, (2) an older couple and a friend of theirs from Tennessee, (3) two honeymooners in their 30's, and (4) a couple expecting their first child, also in their 30's. I also met a lot of younger people around the ship.

Norm.