Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 1st, 2003, 05:03 PM
Cheryl K

Default Never cruised before

I am a newly divorced 46 yr old female that would love to take a cruise but don't know where to start. Not looking for romance but want to enjoy meeting new people and experiencing new things during this next phase of my life. Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Old August 1st, 2003, 09:43 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Never cruised before

Cheryl,
I have never been on a cruise but I've researched for about 2 months and finally booked a cruise this morning with singlescruise.com. They plan singles cruise events and everything I've read has been very positive. Personally, I decided to book for the October cruise on the Carnival Triumph which sails on October 25th. There is alot of info about cruising single right here on cruisemates.com and a very informative faq on the singlescruise.com site as well. If you would like, I can email you once I return from my first cruise. Take care.
Old August 7th, 2003, 07:52 PM
Admiral

Cheryl,

I am a newly divorced 46 yr old female that would love to take a cruise but don't know where to start. Not looking for romance but want to enjoy meeting new people and experiencing new things during this next phase of my life. Any advice?

The most difficult part of giving advice on cruises is that no one cruise line can satisfy everybody's tastes and a line that satisfies my tastes might not satisfy yours. For the most part, cruise lines are divided into four economic classes -- "budget" (usually older ships that provide the basics but that cut a lot of corners to cut cost), "mainstream" (a solid product with no cut corners, but little style), "premium" (a solid product with style), and "luxury" (the best all around), with price tags to match, though the boundaries between these classes are not always as clear as one might like. Within each price class, there are lines that offer all-casual cruises and lines that maintain the traditional formality of evenings at sea. There are also cruise lines that go, quite literally, all over the world and cruise lines that stick to certain relatively popular geographical areas, and cruise lines that offer all kinds of specialized cruises (family orientation, high adventure, theme cruises, etc.). It's better to do your own homework before booking than to be disappointed by a line that turns out to be a mismatch for you.

The best place to start doing your homework is in the travel section of your local bookstore. Buy a current (look for 2002 or 2003 copyright) guide to cruises and cruise lines (all of the major travel guide series -- Fodor's, Frommer's, Complete Idiot's Guide, etc. -- publish books on cruises and cruise lines), so you can spend some time digesting the information about the various cruise lines to get a sense of which cruise lines (and there probably will be two or three) are closest to your style, tastes, and interests. Such guidebooks also have excellent introductory material on cruising, which you will find helpful in preparing for your cruise, and it's also worthwhile to take the time to read it before you actually go to book your cruise.

In parallel with that, ask your friends, coworkers, and oher acquaintances about their cruise experiences and their recommendations regarding travel agents in your neighborhood.

It's also worthwhile to do some homework on various cruise destinations. While most people start with a cruise to the Caribbean, to the Mexican Riviera, or to Alaska, there is nothing wrong with going to the Mediterranean, to Europe, to Hawaii, to the South Pacific, or to the Far East on your first cruise if those destinations are where your interests lie. Even if you think that you want to see the whole world eventually, it's useful to have some idea of what to expect at each destination before you get there.

Once you have a sense of which lines might match your tastes and you have a couple recommendations for a travel agent, go meet that travel agent. Give the travel agent an overview of the results of this homework and what you think you would like to try.for your first cruise. That information will help the travel agent make suggestions that are appropriate for you rather than shooting in the dark.

It's very difficult not to meet new people on any cruise (unless you go to your cabin, shut the door, and don't ever emerge), but the real issue is which people you are meeting. By doing your homework before you book, it's much more likely that you will choose a destination and a cruise line that attracts people which interests and tastes similar to yours -- people who chose the same cruise line that you chose for the same reasons that you chose it, and thus people with whom you already have common interests and tastes that form the basis of real friendship. If you go on a cruise line that's a mismatch, by contrast, chances are that the overwhelming majority of the passengers would have interests vastly different from your own so making new friends would be that much more difficult.

Good luck on your research, and have a fantastic cruise -- whichever line, ship, and destination you choose!

Norm.
Old August 10th, 2003, 10:08 PM
Beginner

I wish you had time to book a cruise on the Carnival Elaton on september 7,2003.
I am going on this cruise and i am recently divorce myself,if not this one maybe we could go on one in 2004.
email me at islandreams@earthlink.net
take care
robert

Old August 12th, 2003, 06:13 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Never cruised before

As always Norm, a well thought out informative response. I am sure it will be helpful to many people.

A.
Old August 17th, 2003, 11:18 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

The truth is that most cruises are largely couples or family experiences.

When I worked on the Norway there was a large singles cruise operator that had a group on every cruise. Most of them had very good times, but once in awhile I would meet someone who was so lonely and desperate that they believed this cruise was their last chance for love in life. One guy told me that if he didn't meet his future wife on that cruise "it was all over." I felt really sorry for him.

If I were single (as I have been often during my 49 years) I would also book into a singles cruise rather going solo. Or, I would find a cruise mate to go with me and share a cabin. I do not recommend to singles that they go on a regular ship alone, unless it is on one of the biggest Carnival or Royal Caribbean ships where there are likely to be a lot more singles. Also - take note that shorter cruises usually have a lot more singles on them than 7 days or more...

However, even if you do go with a singles group, remember that the chances that you will meet a new life partner are probably much less than 50%. If you do meet someone they will be from a different city -- also a challenge.

Go to have a vacation, to have fun and see new places. Please don't go with a sense of desperation that you must meet someone or stop living.

Old August 17th, 2003, 04:48 PM
Passenger

I have been on 10 cruises, 7 of which I have cruised alone, and.... I have never gone on a singles cruise! I have always had a great time and met lots of people. You need to go on vacation to do what you like to do. I have many people that I still e-mail and talk to on a regular basis from cruises. Many are couples, some are even parents of the guys that I met on the cruises. And yes, I did actually meet a guy that was a passenger on board and I had a long term relationship with him, but I never had that goal in mind. The amazing thing is that if you are open and friendly, you will always have people to talk to, particularly on the big ships with lots of lines. I've been on 4 different cruise lines but spend most of my cruises on Celebrity, which has few singles. I go because I like the food and service, and the amenities. I can workout, have relaxing spa services and do the activities that I enjoy on the islands. If you are outgoing, just book a cruise that looks good to you and have a great time. If you are reserved, you may want to try a singles cruise. You'll find lots of info on the cruisemates site!
Old August 17th, 2003, 05:48 PM
Pat Hagan, Singles Editor

I have just returned from a lengthy cruise and am pleased to see that in my absence on this board that so many people have responded with very helpful information. Let me just add that you can also pick up a few tips on traveling solo by going to the singles section of Cruisemates and reading my articles on the subject.

And, as always, if you care to email me with a specific question, I will do my best to help.

Pat Hagan, Singles Editor, Cruisemates

Old August 17th, 2003, 08:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

Charyl,

Go for it.

I've gone on 3 cruises alone. If you're traveling alone cruising is the best way to go.

The most important thing is to select an itinery that matches you interests. My 1st cruise was on the Norway in the Caribbean in 1982. I wanted to snorkel and I did with their dive in excursions. My 2nd cruise alone was in 2001 onthe Noordam in the Baltic. I spent every port day touring castles, palaces and other historic buildings that I'd learned about in architectural history class. My 3rd cruise alone was last year on the Statendam in the Sea of Cortez. I spent the time turing historic buildings. On all of these trips I did things and went places that I would never have done on my own. I also meet lots of other travelers that shared the same interests.
Old August 20th, 2003, 11:25 AM
RichT

I always travel alone, and have been on several trips where I was matched to a roommate at the resort to get the double occupancy rate. That has generally worked out okay, but now I always book single occupancy trips. I just think it is so much more relaxing when you don't have to wonder what is going on in your room or cabin. Also, regular cruise ship cabins are a very nice size for one person, but too crowded for more.

I think the most important thing for single travelers is to focus on the fact that you want to come home from a wonderful vacation experience. Like attracts like, if you are relaxed and having fun, the people you meet will be doing the same.

On my last vacation (not a cruise) one of the resort staffers pulled me aside and said that if there was anyone I wanted to meet, that the interest would be communicated. I think that would work on a cruise as well, just make lots of friends with the people who work on the ship.

Richard

8/31 Conquest
Old August 22nd, 2003, 12:13 PM

Cheryl, please go to the singles section of Cruisemates and read my articles on solo cruisers, and be sure to look over the singles cruise calendar.

If you have any specific questions, please email me.

Good luck!

Old August 22nd, 2003, 07:50 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to prince_charming_68

Cheryl.
I took my first cruise last November (just to relax also) and I had a blast. It was probrably the most relaxing time of my life. But don't be nervous, you will meet alot of good people and have a great time! I think what I liked best was that everyone on board was on vacation (hence everyone was in a great mood!). Also, I loved the thought of being able to do what I liked when I liked (no pressure or time constraints). In fact, just booked my 2nd one yesterday. Hope this helps Good Luck!.

Prince

Victory 11/02
Old August 23rd, 2003, 12:27 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Never cruised before

Hi!

I cruised solo just last month on the Carnival Destiny.....I had a wonderful time!

I am a single mom in my mid 30's. I went on my first cruise this past April with my children and just could not wait to get myself on a ship again! My July Solo cruise was a belated divorce gift to myself.

After reading message boards and doing some research I found myself on Destiny. I had looked into some of the singles groups but the timing did not work for me.

I have to say that as a single woman and having traveled a bit in the past, I truely found a cruise to be a great experience.

My most important suggestions would be to select an itinerary that "calls" you and the kind of ship you think would most suit you. I am a "party" kind of woman - love to go out and dance and have fun, I thought Carnival fit that bill for me.

I would also say that you should take this time to do the things that you enjoy! This is your opportunity to explore and try things that you think you would enjoy but might not otherwise have the opportunity to do.

During the day I booked spa time and shore excursions that interested me. Since I was doing things that I thought were fun I felt good and was able to mingle and meet people. I hung out with young, old, married and single.

At night I went to the places that i enjoyed....the jazz lounge, piano sing-along, disco... Since I was having fun I felt comfortable and meeting people came easily.

I also took a lot of pleasure in being alone. I found quiet places to sit and drink my cappucino's, listen to the waves and enjoy the stars at night., etc.

My trip was amazing and I can't wait to travel alone on a ship again!

HomePort Cruising - NCL Dawn 4/28/01 - Me and My Kids

Carnival Triumph 4/03 Family
Carnival Destiny 7/03 Solo

1 More in the Works for 2004 (Solo)
1 More "Quickie" for 2003 (Solo)
Old August 31st, 2003, 06:26 PM
Cheryl K

Thank you to all of the good information for crusing alone for the first time. I just booked the Carnival Holiday for October 2nd. I am looking forward to having a good time.