Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 28th, 2004, 07:16 PM
shadow23

Default Windjammer 1st timer/Singles or Regular?

Interested in Hondo answering these questions since he sounds like an experienced Windjammer, but welcome all feedback from anyone who knows!

I'm torn between theses Singles Cruises: either on the Yankee Clipper in August to St. Vincent & the Grenadines OR on the Poly in October to St. Lucia/Windward OR in December (Repositioning Sgls. cruise) to St. Lucia/St. Maarten/a bit of Windward & Leeward. I like the idea of the Clipper having less passengers.

VERSUS a Regular cruise on the Poly to either St. Lucia/Windwards or St. Maarten/Leewards OR the Mandy to Panama/San Blas.

I'm 43, SWF, very active in the outdoors and enjoy a cocktail or two, BUT am worried about the Singles cruise being too much of a Hedonistic frat party VERSUS finding myself on a regular population cruise listening to folks talk about their kids & retirement plans! Never been on any cruise before...What do you recommend?!

I like to do all water sports, bike, hike, and just hang & read a book in the sun. Love your idea about the hammock up on deck!

Are the St. Vincent/Grenadine itinerary too remote? Will there be enuf island activities that I enjoy per above? I'm leaning toward this Singles cruise that leaves Grenada on Aug. 9th since there's a woman who wants to share one of the higher end cabins which I prefer.

Again, all comments welcome & appreciated. If someone wants to chat via the antiquated telephone, I'd be up for that to do some more Q&A. Thanks for your time!!

"shadow23"
Sponsored Links
Old April 28th, 2004, 09:14 PM
Hondo

Default Re: Windjammer 1st timer/Singles or Regular?

Hello Shadow23:

I'll admit that I'm not the most experienced Jammer out there. I was lucky to take the cruises so close together to get an overview of the islands but I'll admit I'm not a 100% sure about the Grenadines. So here goes:

The Yankee Clipper singles cruise would of been the one for my first cruise had I known what I've know now. Since I'm in a land locked state I've always been fasinated with sailing. I was a little disappointed to learn that the Poly did not actually "sail" but motored BUT. The Yankee Clipper does sail. I know I'm looking forward to her in October for the Pirates Week that is going out of Grenada. The excursions that I have heard about are fun. The islands are not too remote. The Yankee Clipper also holds around 68ish pax ,I believe, compared to 128ish for the Poly.

The singles Poly in Nov. is the one that I'll be on. She is basically going to hit the islands going South that the Yankee Clipper will pick up going north. I choose this singles because I plan to climb at least one of the Pitons and if I can arrange it, I'm going to try for both. Oh yes, and go to Martinique.

The repo that the Poly is doing in December would be my second choice to you. Dominica is a absolute must and the Poly doesn't go there enough. The Boiling Lake hike is a great hike. The island is very pretty. The other islands are also nice but Dominca is my favorite island.

As for the regular cruises. I don't know. I know absolutely nothing about the Panama/San Blas islands. But, I'll give you a link later. The Poly is alternating cruises this summer. One week north, one week south. I think a good cruise would be both. You'll get a good overview but if you only had one week, I'd go North. The Baths are neat along with the other islands up there.

The one singles cruise that I went on was the standard Poly going south out of St. Martin. It really wasn't a frat party totally but it was moving at times. I have heard of some singles weeks that are real parties and others that are relatively calm. They are a good way of meeting people. They are what you make of them. I'm the shy, quit type that finds it hard to meet people. Going on a singles cruise has helped me to "get out of my shell"

I would recommend the YC singles in August or the repo singles in December. I would also visit jammerbabe.com and go to the Flotilla. You'll have a field day.

I hope this helps.

Hondo