Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 14th, 2004, 07:22 PM
Yeoman

Default Best ship for singles

Okay, guys and gals, we've had a bunch of postings lately from people wanting to know which ship is the best for singles. Therefore, I think it is time for another survey here. So what do you all think? Please post with your experience as to the ships you have cruised as a single, whether organized or not, preferably "not."

Remember, inquiring singles minds want to know!

Old July 26th, 2004, 11:23 AM
Tom Mark

Default Re: Best ship for singles

Pat,

You can count me in on this survey as I have cruised 26 cruises on all the major players different times of the year and to some of the more interesting destinations besides the Caribbean. The ships were new, not-so-new, big, small, organized singles sailing, non-organized and even on a paddleboat big band cruise (American Queen). This may take a while to gather up my thoughts on this matter, but inasmuch as single cruising is concerned I believe we all want to maximize our cruise experience by choosing the right ship at the right time tailored tailored to our specific requirements.
So with that in mind, more to come later.........Tom M
Old July 30th, 2004, 11:50 AM
Shipbound

I have been on most of the CCL ships I think there're all good for singles but if I had to pick one I would pick the Victory.

Gary
Old August 5th, 2004, 09:11 AM
Shannan

Carnival is great for singles! But I loved the Fascination! The 5 night, during the week, went the end of April. Had a blast! It was the best cruise that I have taken solo to date.

Shannan
Old August 22nd, 2004, 08:03 PM
Heather T

Carnival is definitely good for singles... Royal Caribbean was NOT... I think I was the only single person on board!
Old August 22nd, 2004, 08:22 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to CZodda

I think I have to agree with Heather T....I was on RCI's Nordic Empress when she did a repositioning cruise some years back. I did not feel very comfortable at all as a single.

Carnival is definitely the better choice.

Cathy Z

Old August 26th, 2004, 12:58 PM
ILuvCruisin

I agree with Heather. Out of the 20 or so cruises I have taken I have enjoyed Carnival the most. Unless I travel with a group I always pick Carnival. I try not to go too much any more during the summer months...folks can't control or refuse to control their little kiddies...I also found that when you take a winter cruise to the Caribbean be sure to go further than the Bahamas or the weather may be a little breezy while at sea.
Old August 27th, 2004, 10:25 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to cruiseaddict

I'm about to do my first SOLO cruise on HAL Zuiderdam, but I have cruised as a single person 17 times or so since 1996--well, sometimes I started out single but had a boyfriend by the end of the cruise--!

I think the Carnival Fascination and the Carnival Imagination are the "party ships!" I have had rollicking good times on both of them.

However, other things factor in such as timing--when colleges are off it is usually more fun because of the young people. They fil up the disco and their energy tends to bring us back to our college party days. Also during any holidays, more working-aged people, as opposed to retired, take advantage of the time off to cruise.

Other factors include length of cruise--shorter cruises seem to be more party-intensive and therefore better for singles. I think maybe people are trying to cram in all their fun into a couple of days or perhpas younger people can only afford the $ or time off involved in a shorter cruise so they go on those. On the 7 or more dayers, people seem to relax more and are not partying as frantically.

Price in and of itself also plays a role. If you are young person looking for other young people, usually the less expensive cruises have more young people. On the other hand if you are an older perosn looking for older singles, I'd go for HAL or Princess and ask the cruise line which one has most singles. Some cruises are specifically set up for singles. Check out www.YPFCH.org, they have a rocking cruise every year and there is an older version of the group as well.

Happy singles cruisin!

Post Edited (08-27-04 10:29)
Old August 28th, 2004, 01:51 AM
Passenger

I am looking for a good singles cruise. Ive never been on a cruise, or a singles event. Im 33yrs old, single police officer. It seems like a good time, but i would like to go on some kind of organized singles cruise. The only site ive seen is singlescruise.com is this a reputable site, are there any others. Id like to meet ladies my age group and have a good time.....
Old September 11th, 2004, 06:16 PM
Bish

My first and only cruise was a 14 day panama canal cruise on the Mercury (Celebrity Cruise Line). NOT recommended as a singles cruise, although I have to say that the cruise was enjoyable as far as of the ports of call and the canal crossing was concerned. It seems that cruises of long duration are not the best for a singles. My sister and her boyfriend were also on the cruise (they talked me into it). Had to pay a bundle for my cabin (solo). Next one for me will be a 7 day carribean.
Old September 12th, 2004, 05:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

I just got off the HAL Statendam Alaska Southbound and had a ball. I have done 3 cruises solo now. Once on Royal Caribbean, once on Carnival, and now on HAL and I must say that the Statendam was my favorite. Let me say that I am an "older" single. Meeting people was not hard. HAL put me at one of the singles tables and the group was very well matched as far as age and interests. I think we were the "fun" table of the Lower Main seating. We even had one of the officers join us for 3 nights. HAL's singles supplements are only 150% too...a lot less than many cruiselines.

Old September 12th, 2004, 10:52 PM
Shirley Barber

Hi Pat, I haven't been on a cruise yet but wonder if you could advise me as to whether there are any singles groups leaving from western Canada namely Vancouver, British Columbia. It seems all the singles cruises are from the U.S.

Thx., Shirley Barber
Old September 23rd, 2004, 01:38 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Best ship for singles

would you like to hook up and talk ,,you sound cool and expereienced ..i am a novice ,,sexy and wanting to learn ,,please help? joeynb ,,joeyscla3@msn.com

Old September 23rd, 2004, 03:53 PM
E. Renee

Well, I'm a single 41 year old female & I took a solo cruise last Sept. on The Rhapsody of the Seas and I will NEVER cruise solo again. I loved the ship and the itinerary was great. But I didn't find one person on the ship who was traveling solo. I only saw groups and couples. And if you think that people are going to include you in their group ... forget about it! It won't happen. And don't even think about being friendly toward a couple. I can't believe that number of poison looks I got from angry women.
(Do people even try to make new friends anymore?) It's best to cruise with a good friend or a group of friends. But cruising solo is a no-no.
Old September 23rd, 2004, 11:15 PM
Yeoman

Shirley, sorry, but at this time I don't know of any singles cruises going from Vancouver. However, I am in the process of getting together information for the 2005 singles calendar. Perhaps something will show up there.

Old October 5th, 2004, 10:52 PM
Beginner

Hi everyone - I'm new to this forum and thought I'd share my thoughts on singles cruising with you all. I have been on three cruises so far, all solo., and all on HAL. I've been on the Maasdam, the Noordam, and the Prisendam. Each has had their good points and bad points as far as meeting up with other singles. I'm a 45-yr-old SWF, and I enjoy hanging out with others my age and even older on the cruises. The experiences and stories people have are truly entertaining and fun to listen to. On the other hand, sometimes would love do do something more than just sit in the cocktail lounge and hear string quartets. I'm not sure that I'd want a "party" atmosphere on a ship, and maybe that's why I gravitated towards HAL. Kinda nervous about trying other cruise lines.
As far as shore excursions go, I've seen the gamut. My first cruise was to Alaska, and the excursions were a blast - I did all the highly active ones I could find. That was a sure fire way to meet younger folks! My second cruise was to Europe, which skewed more older, but at my late seating for dinner, I had a great mix of table mates. My third cruise was to Australia & New Zealand, and while I liked the Prinsendam the least of all three, the excursions were the best.
Anyway, I'm starting to get "the itch" to cruise again, and once again I'm looking at HAL. Maybe I'm in a rut, I don't know.
Thanks for letting me ramble.
Old October 5th, 2004, 11:33 PM
Yeoman

Why not try an organized singles cruise? I'm putting together the 2005 Cruisemates Singles cruise and there are going to be many to choose from on different cruise lines throughout the year.

Old October 6th, 2004, 05:23 PM
First Mate

My fellow Cruise Mates

Please consider Joining OUR Valor Group Singles Cruise May 8th 2005 to the Eastern Carbibean.

I truly believe that experience is one of the best teacher for I Am from the Old School. ( This Includes Listening)

I will share this with you. Take a gander at our (MB's) Valor Cruise Singles and the fore- mentioned is so true. Many of US singles have different expectations, fears of love or fears of being dull ( what is up with that! ), fears of not knowing and so on....

What's Different about us is that you get to have a "Cool Name" our age group is 30ish to 60ish....., you get to meet some new "Cruisin" friends on the net which is Cruisemates. com AND for the homerun WE get to see and meet on the same wave ( How Cool is that!!)

Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained

Thank You for Reading My Post

Duke

Valor 5/8/05
VOS 4/25/04
Old October 7th, 2004, 11:43 AM
Melissa Pasquantonio

I would agree with you on that I liked RCCL but it is deffinately not for singles
Old October 15th, 2004, 04:42 PM
Passenger

I would like you to add me to your list for single cruises. I live in Ft. Lauderdale and usually do 3 cruises a year. Looking to go on a 7 day sometime in 2005.

Thanks
Old October 17th, 2004, 01:09 PM
DianeP

Because my son cancelled on me at the last minute, I cruised solo on Carnival Conquest on 9/26 and had a FANTASTIC time. At first I was nervous going solo, but during embarkation I met other women travelling alone which immediately put me at ease. There was also a singles group on the ship, which added to the number of singles onboard (but I think a lot of the people in the group were with significant others). The ship had a singles cocktail party the first night and I was seated at dinner with other singles (but we lost one of the men who hooked up with somebody). Not once the entire cruise did I feel alone or left out of anything. The people were wonderful and welcomed you into their groups for meals, on-board activities and shore excursions. Age, race or financial status didn't matter...it was one big happy partying family. I think the single cruise experience is all in how YOU interact with others. I don't know who the outgoing fun-loving person was that took over my shy introverted body, but I had no problem joining in on all the fun. I had such a wonderful experience that I'm planning my 2005 cruise on Carnival and will be going solo again.
Old October 18th, 2004, 12:27 AM
Beginner

Hi Joey, were you able to get any information that you were looking for?? I have booked for Jan 15-23/05 on the Valor with singlescruised.com. This is the first time sailing single and booking with them. From what I have read, all is good......

Have you decided when you are crusing yet?? Well take care and hope you have fun with you decision...........

Later :O)
Old October 18th, 2004, 01:52 AM
L. Swenson

Default Re: Re: Re: Best ship for singles

My son is a single man in his early thirties, a policeman. He is going on a Windjammer singles cruise in December. The ratio of travellers is supposed to be about 50/50. Apparently Windjammer does the single cruise thing several times a year. We have heard they are lots of fun and certainly hope our son has a fabulous vacation.
Old October 27th, 2004, 10:16 PM
rarediamond

Hey Pat i was wondering when you where going to have that list of singles cruises in 2005...wanted to see if Carnival Victory on May 29th to the eastern carribean was going to be apart of that...due to i have like a bunch of single girls that are looking into going on that cruise but were all kinda scared that there's not going to be alot of singles on board.....but if there's another one we'd like to know about it asap so we can hold off on booking this cruise....

Sultana
Old October 29th, 2004, 01:26 PM
Melissa Pasquantonio

I liked RCCL however I also was the only single person aborard
Old October 29th, 2004, 03:32 PM
vinny

might be going on the february conquest cruise out of mardi gras-new orleans with a bunch of guys. singles cruise.com is running a special on this one. vinny
Old November 2nd, 2004, 09:31 AM
Yeoman

I'm working on the calendar. Agencies have been slow to give me their schedules, but I'll have it up asap and let everyone here on the singles board know when it is.

Old November 5th, 2004, 12:44 PM
Beginner

Since I've only been on RCL and CCL, I can only say that Carnival was much better for singles. But don't sail on Carnival the 1st week of November. Due to New York City schools closing that week, you're going to encounter ALOT of families with small children that week. I know because I just returned from the Carnival Inspiration and 50% of the boat were families from New York.

Other than that drawback, I had a great time and I'm always looking for other singles to make contacts with, not necessarily for roomates, but to meet up and do excursions with. I enjoy most anything and everything, especially if there's alot of activity involved, such as sailing, parasiling, kayaking, snorkeling, swimming. Heck, I even enjoy going down the waterslide on the ship! But I also enjoy a little relaxtion time by the pool or beach after a long night of dancing and partying.

I'm a 35 year old single white male from Georgia. My picture is attatched. Hope to hear from other singles, amle and female, who might be interested in meeting up on a cruise next year, possibly in May. (Edited for content)

Old November 8th, 2004, 11:23 PM
Tamara Johnson

I have to agree with the majority of the people on this board and state that Carnival is the best one for a solo cruiser.
I just returned from a 7 day trip on Holland America. I enjoyed the ports, the ship, and the ship's crew. But the passagers were very cold manner. After trying to crack the ice a few times and getting nowhere, I just enjoyed my time alone. I wasn't going with the expectation that I would be buddy buddy with everyone, but at least a few people to just enjoy the ship, drinks in the eveing,etc.
If I do another trip solo, I will do Carnival
Old November 13th, 2004, 10:30 AM
Deanna Hansen

I don't know the best ship for singles. I am a 62 year old entertainer who is fun-loving
and young at heart.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Deanna