Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 20th, 2004, 09:00 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Dining Solo on Princess -Advice Please!

I am traveling solo on the Diamond Princess in January, and although I am a fairly independent person, and excited about the cruise, I am definitely stressing about dining options. I booked traditional dining (late seating) but I don't know if this is the best thing to do. Last time I did this, despite the fact that I requested to be seated with others either traveling solo or "odd numbered parties" I ended up with three couples celebrating their anniversaries. They were all great, but it was a little awkward for me. And worse - one night, each of the three couples must have booked alternative dining and I was at the table alone. Needless to say, it was a little uncomfortable! Should I consider PC dining and just show up and hope for the best? Also, for the alternative dining rooms , -will I be placed at a table for one, as I suspect most people who book these restaurants request a table specifically for their dinner party. Please help! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old November 21st, 2004, 07:28 PM
William Buckley

Default Re: Dining Solo on Princess -Advice Please!

Jeana,
I'm sorry you won't be on the cruise I'll be taking in a couple of weeks.
I hope that I'll be in the position to have dinner with someone like you
so you won't have to eat alone or with anniversary couples.

Seems you need to circulate more early in the cruise and meet a few
people to dine with and go to events with.

Good luck

William
Old November 21st, 2004, 08:53 PM
Paul Cathcart

Default Re: Re: Dining Solo on Princess -Advice Please!

I agree with William. The nice thing about Princess is that they have Personal Choice Dining, which means that you can dine with whom you want and when you want. If you can meet some people early, then you can have a better chance to eat dinner with people you meet. Also, try out cruisecritic.com and try to meet people on those boards first to see if you can get to know some people before you leave. I didn't see what you cruise date was but I see a post for people cruising on 01/15/04.

Hope this helps...

Paul
Old November 21st, 2004, 11:18 PM
aa

Default Re: Dining Solo on Princess -Advice Please!

I would say give late seating another chance. Have cruised solo myself a few times, and each of those times, dinner, my tablemates (coupled, single, gay or straight), and the folks on the nearby tables..... were a definite highlight of my trip. I am still in contact with people I cruised with several years ago.

Also... try making one or two friends through other activities so that you can 'visit' their table when needed.

Finally, if you end up at a table with only couples, go back to the maitre D and reiterate your preference for dinning with other singles.

Happy sailing,
A.