Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 15th, 2005, 02:44 PM
Hondo

Default Re: Re: Re: Alaska Singles Cruise

Hi Mary:

The Alaskan seminar was about the same as last year. It's a travel agent trying to get a group together so they put up a presentation. I went both years and this year it seemed there was less people. The group rate that they have is pretty good but I know I could do better if I wanted to. I signed up for a one night Alaska class in February also from the local college. I went to it last year and learned a lot. I know the questions that I need to ask this time plus I'm going to take pictures and give a 5 minute speel. A couple of people helped me last year so I figure I'll see what I can do; probably not much. <G>

I talked to someone at singles cruise. com about prices ect. The cheap cabins (1a's) are gone but there are still some 4a's left. He said that the website isn't up yet and that there were about 25 signed up so far. It's still pretty early in the year so that will go up. I've started (Re)taken notes about interesting things to do/see. I usually copy them to Word and sort them by city/region.

I've read about the White Pass Railroad and it sounds like fun. I'd rather by hiking the trail but ...There have been a couple of people that also have rented a car and basically did the same thing. I'm a little leery about commiting to something not knowing if anything is going to be offered by the group. I have a feeling that things will be a little difficult without knowing. But, this is just a Wag on my part.

I have a feeling things are going to start to pick up soon. Hopefully they will get the site up soon. Hint. Hint.

Hondo
Old January 15th, 2005, 02:58 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Alaska Singles Cruise

Hondo -
I've been collecting data as well. I'm leaning towards more time at end of the cruise - I can always do Seattle/Vancouver easily another time. Mapping out some places. Since we are ending the cruise in Whittier (60 miles south of Anchorage) - looking to do the 26 glacier tour, train to anchoraage to denali - looking at places to stay around denali - possibly bus back to anchorage- it takes another route than the train. There is just so much to think about and want to do but not the time and money to do it. makes for another trip after hiawaii in 2006.

I'l keep looking - the cruise is in 5 months as of today !!!

Mary
Old January 16th, 2005, 04:05 PM
Hondo

Default Re: Alaska Singles Cruise

Hi Mary:

I concur with Seattle/Vancouver. I've got a little more time to play with since I have worked around 70 hours or so extra so I'm probably going to stretch this to 2.5 to 3 weeks. Maybe. Money is probably the main holdback but there are just to many things to do. It seems all the good ones cost a small fortune. Time vs. money.

How many days are you looking at after the cruise? If it is less than 4, you're going to be pushing it. IMHO. It is possible but it's going to be tiring.

What's the bus from Denali to Anchorage. Is it Gray Lines?

Dang it. Now, you have me thinking. I'm going to look into the independent boards to see what people have done. There are not a whole lot of independent travelers per se here but ....

I know there is at least one backpacking hostel near Denali but how close, I don't know. You do need your own transportation. If you stay in glitter gulch (touristy area outside the park entrance), there are some hotels. We stayed in a campground across the street from the Princess "resort". Nothing like sleeping on gravel.

I've been thinking of doing the train to Girdlewood (sp?) (if it goes there), or Anchorage, if not, and do the snow mobiling in Girdlewood. It depends on transportation from Whittier. I know Carnival has a tour that stops by Girdlewood and I've been thinking about ditching it there but than the question of transportation from Girdlewood comes up. Denali was out of the picture but I don't know.

Decisions, decisions, decisions. Vat to do. <G>

Hondo
Old January 22nd, 2005, 09:11 PM
Hondo

Hey Mary:

Vell, I called the company and booked. The downpayment is in. Now, all I have to do is wait for my previous deposit to come through so I can pay this off.

I talked to them on Friday and they were not sure how many people signed up. They said that the "chat" site would be up about 3 months prior or when they get enough people.

I'm kind of surprised that no one else on this board isn't signed up yet. I have a small feeling that the're maybe around. I'm half tempted to start a board by myself. That way, I don't feel bad in posting links to websites that I've found useful plus other boards websites. I'm thinking on it. That's, if I have time. <G>

I don't know if this will help or not. http://www.toursaver.com/index.php. There is not a lot offered on the inside passage but a couple of excursions are covered. I don't know what type of excursions you would be interested in. The book can pay for itself if you can find someone interested in the same things.

Still debating on how long I'm going to have. I'm going to play with the airfare a little. I think having a weekend before will cut down but I don't know. I'm pretty sure on Seattle before and than Anchorage after but I may do a RT. out of Seattle and a one way out of Anchorage.

I've done a little looking and it looks like we will have some company going up. Ketchican will have 5 ships in and there will be 2 ships in the other ports. I would finalize Ketchican as soon as you can other wise.. It is going to be a zoo that day.

Hondo
Old January 22nd, 2005, 10:34 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Alaska Singles Cruise

Looked at Ketchikan - most of the airplane tours of Misty Fjords run for $199. I think I am going for that. have never been on a small plane before - and scared of heights - oh well - you only live once. I'm waiting a day or so for info to come back and then that will be my Ketchikan.

Will you train or drive to Vancouver from Seattle? Train is cheap but only one train per day at 7:45 am arriving in Vancouver at 11:40. I'm going to check out buses too.

How long have you been waiting for your deposit return? I cancelled mine end of December and was wondering how long it would take.

The airfare from Charlotte is best when I fly into Seattle. Take the one way from Anchorage to Seattle for return flight. Flying into Vancouver takes too many hours and to get the fewer flight hours the rate is too high. 11 hours just doesn't do it for me. If I leave from Seattle, it'll be a red-eye and no stops and I can do those as long as I have a window seat. So Priceline.com is out. You can't book your seat and middle seat - no way.

Mary

Post Edited (01-22-05 21:35)
Old January 23rd, 2005, 08:42 AM
Hondo

Hi Mary:

I called the TA on Friday and asked where it was. I think I cancelled sometime in November. Since I paid by M.O. they have to wait until they get the money. I think next time it will be a credit card but. I asked her to call me once they have received the money. I don't know why things are so slow but ...

I'm either going to do the shuttle or the train. I'm leaning more towards the train since I like them and the ride up to Bellingham was neat. I'm planning at least one day before and after in each city; past that, who knows. The train is worth it. Just have to figure out how far the hostel is from the terminal.

The Misty Fjord sounds like a good tour. I thought that they had a 2 for 1 in the toursaver but I guess not.

Hondo
Old January 24th, 2005, 06:49 PM
First Mate

Hondo - I looked at the toursaver- looks a lot like tours that might night fit into cruise schedule. - did I miss anything - It would be a great book for land touring where you won't miss your ship.

I heard back from another float plane - they offer the 1-1/2 hour ride, plus they will throw in for free the Saxman Native Village tour ($30) and Dollys house museum ($5) for free. cost is $199

I responded back to them asking for pick up/drop off. The other float plane does pick up and drop off at the ship.

Looking back at the 26 glacier tour - they don't get back until 5:30 I think and the train to Anchorage is at 6:45 - worried that I won't make the train in time - Lodging in Whittier is mnimal - so I may do day in whittier (check on a shorter cruise) and train to Anchorage and a day or two in Anchorage. Just can't seem to get the Denali in this time. I need to come back on a land tour to take advantage of that.

btw - I'm back on again on the May 8 cruise - gonna pinch pennies - I had already booked my hotel (non-refundable) and it costs too much to change the plane ticket - soooo - going for the tan before Alaska. think I can find warm clothing in Nassau for the trip to Alaska? Mary

Post Edited (01-24-05 17:53)
Old January 28th, 2005, 05:24 PM
First Mate

refresh - Hondo where are you?

Mary
Old January 29th, 2005, 05:51 PM
Hondo

Hi Mary:

I went home for the week. I needed to recharge the batteries a little. Plus, I got to play ball so I was happy. <G>

Must be nice to go on three cruises this year. <G> Heather's group sounds like it's going to be a blast. I wish but I can't. Next year is a priority. Maybe if she decides to do that again but I'd have to be a 100% on the roomie. I hate that *&&%%$%&& supplement.

I was going to ask you to let me know when you got the deposit back. But. I'm going to give it to the middle of February than I'm going to be a little upset. I think 3 months is giving them plenty of time.

Can you send the link to the 26 glacier tour? Is this through the ship? I've heard of a couple of B&B's in Whittier that are pretty good. I just have to go back and try to find that message. Actually. I need to find the board first. I check about 8 boards a day plus a couple of search engines.

Oh vell. Time to start planning.

Hondo
Old January 29th, 2005, 09:58 PM
First Mate

that would be great if you could find the b&b in Whittier. We'll have luggage and no where to stash it if doing the cruise the day we get into Whittier.

Or you go straight to Anchorage and take rt to Whittier next day for the 26 glaciers.

Talked to Carnival and they said you can book transportation through our ta - it takes you to Anchorage Airport - then you would get transportation to where you are staying.

The 26 glacier leaves at 1 pm and returns at 5:30 pm. The train leaves Whittier at 6:45 pm to Anchorage. I understand that there isn't really anything to do in Whittier - very small place. here's the link http://www.26glaciers.com/index.htm

I spoke to a flight person out of Anchorage today - they can do a tour 3 hours - takes you to 3 glaciers, denali and Mt McKinley - this is their link: http://flyrusts.com/alaska -flightseeing.

Now I'm questioning - fly Ketchican or fly Anchorage - decisions decisions to many decisions.

The refund has posted to my charge card.

I did book hotel in Vancouver for 6/14. Still think I'll hit Seattle for one night and train inthe morning to Vancouver and probably do Grouse Mountain.

Post Edited (01-29-05 21:02)
Old January 30th, 2005, 08:03 PM
First Mate

Hondo - I've started a Yahoo Group - it's called BoundforAlaska. Starting to add links info - not finished yet.

Mary
Old January 30th, 2005, 08:26 PM
Hondo

Hi Mary:

You read my mind. I was thinking of doing the same thing but was unsure what to call it. I didn't want to tread on the singles.cruise one. When it gets up, that is. Please tell me when it is up. Are you putting it on public? I know it takes a day or so before it is listed in the directory. But, you have an option not to list it. What category (sp?) is it listed under? Cruises?

I figured I was going to add links galore on it and post the stuff that I posted from the Alaska trip last year. I know there isn't alot of photo storage but I was thinking of starting O'foto or something like that. I still need to get the pictures developed.

I found the website for the 256 glacier cruise. Now, to decide. Anchorage or stay at Whittier. I still haven't found the listed of the B&B that I read about. To many websites to go through. Anchorage may sound more doable.

I was at first going to recommend taking the flight out of Anchorage but it depends. I would say if the weather is reasonable good, go out of Ketchican. The trouble is, you don't know the weather. I guess it also depends on the restrictions of the flight. What are the mins and will they put you with a group or do you need your own group? What deposit is required and what is the cancellation policy? Ect.

Anchorage is sounding more viable as a base. Go to Whittier for the 26 Glacier. Fly over Denali and possible going to Girdlewood. I may forgo the B&B but who knows.

I'll be pinning down the flights and hostels soon. Probably by the end of February at the very latest.

Hondo
Old January 30th, 2005, 08:36 PM
First Mate

Hondo - it is out there - I'm new to the groups stuff - it is pulblic - I think

go to Yahoo Groups / Recreation and Sports / Travel / Alaska / By location / United States / Alaska / Alaska Groups / #15 boundforalaska

try this link to see if that works: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/boundforalaska/

Mary
Old January 30th, 2005, 09:09 PM
booboo4031

Old January 31st, 2005, 01:29 PM
Hondo

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Alaska Singles Cruise

Hi Mary:

It's out there. You have it set up so it's members only so people are going to have to request to join.

I was going to set mine up as public with files ect. only available for members and when the singles.cruise "official" site came to be, I was going to make it members only and use it primarily for storage and reference.

It seems I'm changing my mind every other minute. Do I do this. Do that. I think I'm going to add days at the end and not worry about before. This is an Alaska trip not Seattle/Vancouver so It looks like a day or so in each city than about a week in Anchorage with day trips. But, as with anything, especially lately, subject to change. <G>

Hondo
Old January 31st, 2005, 06:23 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Alaska Singles Cruise

Try it now - hope I did it right.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/boundforalaska/

Post Edited (02-01-05 08:14)
Old February 2nd, 2005, 08:20 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Alaska Singles Cruise

refresh
Old February 2nd, 2005, 08:52 PM
First Mate

Yahoo Group Formed - come on by - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/boundforalaska/

Post Edited (02-04-05 21:50)
Old February 4th, 2005, 10:54 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Alaska Cruise June 15

Refresh
Old February 5th, 2005, 06:18 PM
Mark Kerry

I am a 35-year-old professional male considering the Alaska cruise (by singlescruise.com) on Jun 15. This will be my first-ever cruise.

Has anyone been on their Alaska cruise? The airfare seems to be expensive. I will be flying out of Atlanta.

How many singles are usually on these cruises?
Old February 5th, 2005, 09:55 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Alaska Cruise June 15

This is my first singlescruises.com - I've heard that they are fun. They say anywhere from 250 up. I hope that is so. If you are planning on travelling with them, I would book soon as I was looking at carnival's site and the price is getting high - glad I booked it at group rate with sc.com.

Have you tried Ameican Airlines - my flight from Charlotte to Vancouver/Anchorage to Charlotte is $548 - the cheapest I've found. I tried to do rt through Seattle or Vancouver/one way back to Seattle or Vancouver to Charlotte - the cheapest was $740. So when I saw the AA price I booked it and got my window seats. Hope this helps.

Mary

Carnival Spirit

Post Edited (02-05-05 20:55)
Old February 5th, 2005, 10:06 PM
Mark Kerry

Default Re: Re: Re: Alaska Cruise June 15

I found a much cheaper fare flying into Seattle. It's about $300 less than flying into Vancouver.

The return from Anchorage will still be expensive.

I haev also heard their cruises are a lot of fun. They get a lot of repeat customers.
Old February 5th, 2005, 10:26 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Alaska Cruise June 15

Yes - flying out of Atlanta is cheaper than Charlotte. I can fly my daughter out of Atlanta to the same destination, Miami, New Orleans, Orlando, cheaper than my flight from Charlotte. If it is on US Scare, they come here to pick me up to fly to those destinations. I don't know why Charlotte is so expensive. I can even fly my mother from Baltimore cheaper.

I'll check my notes I collected on transporation to Vancouver form Seattle, but if I remember correctly, the train goes to Vancouver in the early morning.

Mary
Old February 5th, 2005, 10:37 PM
First Mate

Mark - here's a llink to bus transportation from Seattle Airport to downtown Vancouver - looks like it is a 4 hour trek - if I read the schedule correctly.

http://www.quickcoach.com/

Since this is your first cruise - it is best to fly in a day early - I always do that and last year I was glad of that. My daughter was flying out of Atlanta to New Orleans on AirTran - they bumped her off 3 flights and she just barely made it on the plane the day of the cruise. When we returned from the cruise, we went directly to Air Tran and sat for an hour on the floor in front of the ticket counter to make sure she got on the return flight back to Atlanta. I would never recommend this airline.

Mary
Old February 6th, 2005, 12:43 AM
Mark Kerry

Thanks. Amtrak also has daily trains from Seattle to Vancouver for $24 one-way.
Old February 12th, 2005, 10:05 AM
First Mate

Hondo - where are you?
Old February 12th, 2005, 10:56 AM
Hondo

Hi Mary:

I'm here. Kind of.<G>

A little busy lately. Still mulling on a what to do. To much to do, not enough time.

I finally (FINALLY) got the deposit back. It only took about 10 weeks or so. I guess they wanted to squeeze the last bit of interest out of it.

I priced airfares and it looks like they are holding steady. I may try to out of a different city but I'm not going to look into it for a couple more weeks.

Hondo
Old February 12th, 2005, 11:06 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Alaska Cruise June 15

glad you are still here - I'm still trying to decide about the
excursions. Hope to nail down by first of March for sure. I do know that I am
spending 6/14 in Vancouver and 6/22-25 in Anchorage - decison I'm
weighing on is will I be brave enough to go on helicopter in Anchorage and
land on a glacier.

Mary
Old February 14th, 2005, 08:57 AM
Passenger

#
Old February 15th, 2005, 01:53 AM
Passenger

FYI to all cruisers from a man in Seattle. Although I will not be going with you on this cruise, you have about three options to get from Seattle to Vancouver, BC. 1) You can take a bus. (he, he, he) 2) You can hop on a $99 flight on Alaska Airlines/Horizon Air from Seattle to Vancouver or 3) You can hitchhike at your own peril.

I think option #2 is your best bet.

Cheers.

--Byron