Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 16th, 2005, 09:17 PM
MelissaS

Default Re: Alaska Cruise June 15

Hey all, I'm also a first time cruiser with singlescruise.com - and just booked on the Alaska cruise. After all the searching for flights I've decided to go directly to Vancouver the night before (from Nashville)- does anyone know if singlescruise has a pre-meet the night before or anytime before boarding? I wouldn't mind seeing a bit of Vancouver beforehand.
Old February 16th, 2005, 10:04 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Alaska Cruise June 15

Hi Melissa - Glad you'll be on the cruise - I am so looking forward to it.

This is my first time also with singlescruises.com too. When I booked they said they would open a site for us to get acquainted around March. I started one for now through I understand that they do plan things - not sure if it is pre cruise or after we get on the ship.. I'm arriving in Vancouver on the 14th from Charlotte - want to take in some sites in Vancouver. I'm also staying 3 days after cruise in Anchorage to do same.

Post Edited (06-04-05 15:43)
Old February 16th, 2005, 11:36 PM
MelissaS

Mary - do you know where you're staying in Vancouver before-hand? I've already booked at the Fairmont Waterfront - figured I would splurge a little bit (okay a lot) since its right next to the cruise terminal.

I'll check out your site - I know you said you've done some research on the area and excursions.
Old February 17th, 2005, 08:39 AM
First Mate

I'm staying at the Sandman on Georgia St - they say theater district - 1 block from GM Place & BC Place Stadium, 4 blocks from Gas Town, 1 block from Vancouver Playhouse and Queen Elizabeth Theater - not as nice as where you are staying - but I had to decide on whether to stay where you are or 3 extra days in Anchorage - Anchorage won.

Just hope it is not a bad area to be in - I wouldn't think so if it is a hteater district.

Mary

to the Carribbean

north to Alaska

Post Edited (02-17-05 08:40)
Old February 17th, 2005, 07:28 PM
Hondo

Welcome aboard Melissa:

Pictures? What pictures. <G>

I'm guessing the ones of Alaska? Vell, there is one small problem. I can't find them. Sort of. I have about 100+ rolls of film but I'm not sure which is which. I know will cost a fortune to get them developed so it's going to be a while. I just bought a waterproof digital last year and I'm still playing around with it. It's a point and shoot so it's not to fancy but it's good for backpacking. I'll probably just go back to the places that I've been to. It will probably be cheaper than getting the film developed. If it's even still good.

Hopefully the board that SinglesCruise.com will be up soon. I'm guessing that there will be a pre-meet somewhere. I've been on one cruise with them out of Miami. We had a get together at the hotel and then went out to eat afterwards.

Any questions, just ask. I'm probably not going to know anything <G> but, I'll be able to point you in the right direction.

Hondo
Old February 21st, 2005, 08:20 PM
Hondo

Default Re: Re: Re: Alaska Cruise June 15

Hi guys:

I wish this trip would be over. I'm coming up with to many things to do. I don't have the airfare to pin me down to anything so I'm just finding to many things to do. I need to remidy this.

I called the travel agent and the person said it would be a couple of weeks before the site is up. The agent also said that they were not using Port Promotions so the only options are Carnival or Independent. I know with the independents if we get a group together we could still do things. Possible but....

I'm in the process of getting "all" the excursions grouped together. I saw a website that did it and it was a pretty good way to organize things. The trouble is it will not include anything so there will be gaps but at least it will be a planning tool.

Hondo
Old February 23rd, 2005, 06:02 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Alaska Cruise June 15

Do you know when the TA will provide a booking # so that we can at least look or possibly book onlline with Carnival?

Mary
Old February 23rd, 2005, 05:17 PM
Hondo

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Alaska Cruise June 15

Hi Mary:

I'm not sure. I looked on the invoice and there is nothing there.

I would give them a call and ask. I don't know if they wait until everything is paid than give it to you or ????

If you find it, can you send it to me. I'm probably going to end up doing the train through Carnival. It's not worth the $10.00 hassle. Plus, I'll may do the end transportation depending on what is going on.

Hondo
Old February 25th, 2005, 07:40 PM
Hondo

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Alaska Cruise June 15

Hey Mary:

I was kind of curious also so I called the office.

They said that they will not have the individual booking number until 60 days out. Carnival will not be able to supply it until then. I really really don't know why. If a reservation is fully paid for .....

So, what does that mean? It sounds like Independent for me. I'd be willing to bet some things are getting close, if not already, full.

Hondo
Old March 1st, 2005, 05:42 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Alaska Cruise June 15

Hondo - that being the case - are you planning on any float plane tirps or helicopter? I really want to do the train - but take it from the boat. When I talked to the folks at the station a while back, they recommended that the ship is the better option because the book most of the train.

Now off to check out those float planes/helicopters.
Old March 1st, 2005, 08:53 PM
Hondo

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Alaska Cruise June 15

Hi Mary:

I thought that I was going to lay low, try not to spend to much. WWWEEELLLL, that Aint the case. <G>

I'll be taking a three day kayaking trip from Seattle before the trip. The excursions I will be signing up for are kayaking and a dog sled.

I'm debating if I'm going to stay in Whittier and do the Glacier Tour or do the Glacier Tour the day we get off than take the train to Anchorage. I'm leaning towards the same day.

I'm trying to come up with things to do in Anchorage. I sure wish the board will be up so I can see what people will be doing after. I don't want to commit to much after but...

I'm just about finalized. Trip and airfare are knocked out. I just have to wait on some excursions and make a decision on hostels than it's a go.

Hondo
Old March 5th, 2005, 03:56 PM
First Mate

Hondo- I reserved a car in Anchorage for 6/22-25 - I'll take
carnival's shuttle to airport from port, pick up car to downtown to
check in - then siteseeing. I checked out one way car rental to try
to do 26 glaciers on the 22nd but that is too much of a surcharge.
In the morning will drive to Whittier to do the 26 Glacier tour and
then more sightseeing on way back - 20 hours of daylight - that will
afford more sightseeing time.

And thinking more about this - I think just getting off one ship
onto another - may be the break of a day will be good.

Mary
Old March 5th, 2005, 10:43 PM
Hondo

Hi Mary:

I guess you posted twice? Or maybe I'm seeing double. <G>

Ignore the part about the Exit Glacier. That's in the Kenai part and not Whittier. I'm doing both and as you can tell, I'm still a little shaky on where everything is at.
But, I'm getting there.

It's fast approaching. Soon you'll be in the Valor than the Spirit.

Hondo
Old March 6th, 2005, 02:30 PM
First Mate

Hondo - here's an article for you to read - don't want you to get lost!

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm..._alaska06.html

Also, I've booked the 26 glacier.

Mary
Old March 6th, 2005, 09:11 PM
Hondo

Hi Mary:

I hope that the families in the articles find peace in their lives.

Hondo
Old March 12th, 2005, 09:36 AM
First Mate

Hondo - I received my ticket and schedule/driving directions from Anchorage to Whittier for the 26 Glacier tour - I've scanned and placed info in the file section of the group page (includes a map of area). At least I have this confirmed. I wish we had booking numbers so I can book the white pass rail trip. Oh well -I'll just take a chance that it won't be full when we do get booking #.

Check list: air - done, hotel vancouver - done, anchorage lodging - done, rental car in anchorage for 3 days - done. All I need to finish up on: reamainder of cruise fare paid, getting a rain poncho and the remaining shore excursions.

with my Alaska mates
Old March 14th, 2005, 06:13 PM
First Mate

Formal Nites on Northbound Alaska - anyone know which nights are formal nights? Traveling June 15-22, 2005.

Mary
Old March 14th, 2005, 10:04 PM
Hondo

Hi Mary:

I'm just about finalized. Finally. <G>

The only thing I need to do is pay off the kayak trip before and debate on the trip insurance. I may take the cruise insurance but I don't know if it will cover before and after. I need to ask some more questions.

It looks like I'll be flying in the Thursday before and flying out the Monday after. This was suppose to be a nice easy vacation without hardly anything planned and it now looks like Tokyo aftere Godzilla had a nice Sunday stroll.

We're almost at the 90 day mark. Only 50 minutes or so to go. I'm going to ask next Monday when the site is going to be up. It would be nice to see what other plans people have now that I've already booked everything. <GGGGRRRR>

I don't have the faintest when formal nights will be. You may want to call Carnival or Singles Cruise and ask them. I have a copy of the Capers from last year Spirit and I'll look to see when they were but I don't know if it will be the same this year.

Hondo
Old March 15th, 2005, 06:50 PM
First Mate

Hondo - according to Singlescruises the formal nights are 2nd nite and 2nd to last night of cruise.

Wow you are really going to take in the sights. I wish I had that much time off. Maybe next year when I plan better. This year will be to wet the appetite and help to make decisions on more land excursions.

I have a work acquaintence who is from Fairbanks and she is interested in making a trip and showing me the way next year. This is where I'll plan that week or more land travel.
Old March 16th, 2005, 08:06 AM
Hondo

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Alaska Cruise June 15

Hi Mary:

The second and second to last night. Vell, I know where I will be. Err. Not Be. <G>

I have a relative in Fairbanks that I should look up one year. Maybe next year. I also have a friend that lived in Anchorage for 20 years or so and have offered for their friend to show me around.

They said in about a week or so for the site to be up. I think I heard that about 2 months ago. Oh vell. Patience, patience.

I'm still debating over the trip insurance. The one that is offered by the cruise only covers the cruise and the airline. It does not cover anything before or after the trip. I'm looking into an outside vendor but I'm debating on which one or what plan. I'm probably going to go with it since it isn't that bad and next year it will be interesting.

Hondo
Old March 16th, 2005, 09:47 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Alaska Cruise June 15

You don't have to get all dressed up - it's your cruise - On our cruise to the Western Carribbean several years back we had two crazy males from Ohio at the table - they stood outside of the dining room in their shorts making faces at us and my daughter got up and brought them into the dining room with us. No one had a thing to say except for the "snotty" face at next table in tuxedo which lead to our really being roudy. So - don't hold back - it is your cruise too.

Mary
Old March 16th, 2005, 09:12 PM
Hondo

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Alaska Cruise June 15

Hi Mary:

Vell, I guess there's going to be a third crazy guy from Ohio cause that's exactly what I'm about bringing in with me. I'll come in and say hi and than bye. See ya at the buffet. <G>

I know some people will get bent out of shape but I don't care. I'm not bugging them and they certainly the h^%ll aint going to bug me. I crack up when I see the threads about the dress on the foo-foo's. It's sad really but...

To each is own. Off to the buffet.

Hondo
Old March 17th, 2005, 07:39 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Alaska Cruise June 15

I always get tickeled seeing women on carribbean cruises walking around with the furs on - kinda warm for that ain't it - and I don't wear dead animals?

Anyway third crazy guy from Ohio - if you are not in the dining room - I'm sure I'll see you somewhere. Those guys were a hoot - we had so much fun with them. The one guy told his boss that he had booked a vacation on a cruise - and guess what - his boss was on same cruise. So, he was always looking over his shoulder. His boss didn't know that he was gay - so he told them that my daughter was his girlfriend.

Mary
Old March 17th, 2005, 07:02 PM
Hondo

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Alaska Cruise June 15

Hi Mary:

It sounded like fun trying to dodge the boss. I don't think that would be a problem for me. I'm about the only person in the office that is a traveler instead of a tourist.

is anyone on your site going on the cruise? Or, are they just trying to get information? I know of one other person on another "Cruise" site that is going on this cruise. Hopefully, one day, other people will start to show. It's almost final payment time so there has to be other people.

I thought there was going to be a get together in Vancouver somewhere? I'm sure the cruise site will have one, once it is up, that is. <G> Who knows?

I'm probably going to sign up for one more excursion and that should do it. Hopefully by the end of April it wll be a wrap and I can start to plan for next year in Alaska. If I like the kayaking like I think I am, I'll probably do that again if I can squeeze it in. Next year is going to be really really tight on day. I can only take about a month off and I'm gong to need every minute of it.

Hondo
Old March 22nd, 2005, 08:04 AM
First Mate

Just a wake up
Old March 26th, 2005, 06:45 AM
First Mate

Just dropping in to say hello and remind everyone that:

with my Alaska mates

Post Edited (03-26-05 06:48)
Old March 26th, 2005, 04:48 PM
Hondo

Hi Mary:

Rub it in. <G>

Things are real quite. I'm kind of surprised but I'm thinking that Alaska draws a different type of crowd. Hopfully we can kick start it with a super poll I'm working on.

I'm still trying to update all the excursions. I know I missed a bunch so I'm going to try to fix it. I'll be using the sheet for the next trip and as a trip reminder in the future so the more I can update it, the more it will be useful.

There is an article in Porthole this month about Alaska and a couple of the small cruiselines. One is Cruise West and the other is Glacier Bay Cruiselines. It's causing me to do some thinking. The Columbia River trip looks mighty interesting to do. I may push back Australia another year and do that and a Maine Windjammer along with a couple Windjammers in a couple of years. Just to many darn vacations to plan.

Hondo
Old April 8th, 2005, 12:48 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to 35yoCabinMateforANYCRUISE

Hello,
When is the deadline to sign up for the June 15 cruise? Is there a way I can split the cost of a cabin on this cruise? If so, what are the costs?
Thank you, Wes
Old April 9th, 2005, 07:18 AM
Hondo

Hi Wes:

The deadline for final payment was April 1st so any bookings past that will have to be paid in full when you book it.

You will have to call Singlescruise and ask. I'm guessing that they still have room but it is a guess.

They will match you up with a roommate so you can share the cost.

I'm not sure what the cost is now. I'm sure it went up from the original booking.

Hondo
Old April 9th, 2005, 12:32 PM
First Mate

Wes - as Hondo says - contact the singlescruise folks - they may have someone who is looking for roomie and can't go without or maybe there is someone who is going solo and would want to lower their costs by sharing their cabin. Also, talking with them, maybe someone who booked may have backed out and cabin may still be available - I'd make your call quickly to them. Just looked at the site and they still have cruise listed. http://singlescruise.com/

See if you can get a 1a cabin - that is is the cheapest.

Let us know what you find out.

Mary