CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Singles (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/singles/)
-   -   Alaska Cruise June 15 (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/singles/286143-alaska-cruise-june-15-a.html)

Mary P December 18th, 2004 08:26 AM

Alaska Cruise June 15

Are you joining the June 15 Alaska Cruise either with singlescruises.com or through another source?

Post Edited (06-04-05 01:05)

booboo4031 December 18th, 2004 08:49 AM

Re: Alaska Singles Cruise

I just took a look at it. You don't happen to know what their single occupancy rate is? I sailed with them last year to the caribbean. I'm doing a singles cruise in april with a different agency. This one has possibilities.

Mary P December 18th, 2004 05:21 PM

Re: Re: Alaska Singles Cruise

$1700 outside and $2198 balcony

Hondo December 19th, 2004 07:27 PM

Hi Mary:

Are U signed up for this cruise? I've been wondering when singles.com would go to Alaska.

For Alaska, this is darn cheap. I believe it's what $600.00 for a inside cabin with a roomie.

Do you know if they have the yahoo board up for this cruise yet? Or, how many people are signed up?

I guess the only down(up) side is that is one way. Airfare could be interesting but who knows. It does have it's possibilities.

Hondo

Mary P December 19th, 2004 07:52 PM

I haven't signed up yet - I did do a check with priceline.com com for air from Charlotte to Vancouver and Anchorage to Charlotte - $576 - which I think is pretty good. I tried pricing it out one-ways but that ran about $1000. Where would you be flying from?

I am planning on taking this cruise - always wanted to see Alaska. May pass up on the carribean to do so.

I don't know if there is a board yet or how many folks are signed up. If I do go and you don't can I tap you up on sights to see in Alaska since you spent some time there recently?

booboo4031 December 19th, 2004 08:27 PM

Re: Re: Re: Alaska Singles Cruise

I did Alaska a few years back and it was much cheaper to fly into Seattle and take the transfer to Vancouver and then I flew back from Anchorage. The RT air was around $250 from Boston. It was a very similar itinerary to this one. They really didn't cut them a break on single supplement for this cruise! For Alaska I would only do an outside cabin, and the price gets a little ridiculous. I really didn't want
to buy the ship! When I did it a few years back it was with my ex.

Hondo December 20th, 2004 06:39 PM

Hi Mary:

It seems singles.com changed ownership recently. I guess a firm in Michigan bought them out so they are now stationed there.

I talked to Amy today and this is getting to be a possibility. It depends on a couple of things. For a inside shared cabin it would run a little over a thousand. Cruise, taxes and optional insurance. The only problem would be the air. Maybe.

I'd be flying out of Cincinnati and I think the lowest I found was $473.00. I know I could do a little better getting to Seattle but the Anchorage leg maybe a little tricky. Flying into Seattle maybe a little cheaper. From Seattle you can take Amtrak into Vancouver for $35.00 each way. I'm not sure about buses or rentals though. I took the Amtrak (Cascade) from Seattle to Bellingham and it's a nice train. We had a NPS speaker onboard who was telling us about what we were passing. There were some people who were going to start a cruise.

Amy said they were expecting about 250 people or so. The board is set up. The downpayment that they need is $250.00 with the balance paid off 75 days before it starts. April, I believe? She said that they were going to have some excusions through Port Promotions. I'm kind of curious what they are going to be.

There is a lot of info on Alaska out there. I'm only familiar with Junuea and Anchorage. I've been reading the boards for the last year on Alaska but I really wasn't reading them to carefully since I knew I wasn't going there. I guess I'm going to have to reread them again. I'll be glad to help, if I can. Now, if I can get work to pay for the interview in Anchorage, I'd be set. <G>

Hondo

Mary P December 21st, 2004 10:14 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Alaska Singles Cruise

Hi Hondo - Just looked at that Port Promotions site - I'm hoping that they will get a cheaper rate than what is on the site for some of the trips.

Expecting 250 for this cruise -I better get to my decision which will be before end of month.

I know this is going to be the most expensive for me but I think itis worth the trip. Then in the fall - I'll take the warmer cruise.

Mary

Post Edited (12-21-04 10:16)

Hondo December 21st, 2004 10:51 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Alaska Singles Cruise

Hi Mary:

I really didn't want to do to much next year, vacation wise, since I had two months this year. I had to drop out of a cruise since my roommate dropped out and I don't pay the single supplement and what's going to happen? I'll probably be spending about three times as much, this time. Oh vell. There is a possibility of an interview plus I really didn't explore the ports that we were going to. I didn't realize that the ferry had mini tours at each port. I wish I would of known that but ....

There are alternative things to do in each port if you are looking to "save" money. They are still expensive but still worth the cost. There are also some excursions that are just worth the price. I've been on the Awsome Orca in Juneua and that was fun. The Misty Fjord plane ride is tops from what I've read. I also believe the Yukon train is also a good one. You can do independent tours or with the ship. The one drawback with independents is if you miss the ship, you are S.O.L.

I'm trying to remember the sites that I went to while researching Alaska. I know the other websites that have "cruise" in it, is a good one. Fodor's and Frommers have a pretty good website also. Lonely Planet is a pretty good one. There are others out there but they are on the other computer along with travel notes.

Hondo

Mary P December 28th, 2004 08:10 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Alaska Singles Cruise

Hondo - I made the booking via the web - I'll give them a call in the a.m. to get all the facts. http://www.cruisemates.com/animated/moneyflip.gif

Northwest to Alaska in June !

mary

Hondo December 29th, 2004 06:31 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Alaska Singles Cruise

Hi Mary:

I'm still working on a couple of things but it is starting to look better every day. I'm saving up all the vacation time for 06 but it looks like I'll be working 30+ hours of comp time, so I should be able to squeek two to three weeks in.

I've looked for the chat site that they do for each cruise but have not been able to find it. I'm kind of curious how many members they have. I wonder if they listed it in the directory. Oh vell.

Are you going to add any days before or after? Or, are you just doing the cruise and leaving? If you have not been to Alaska it maybe an opportunity that you should take advantage of. I'm going to see if anyone is going to do this. It would be nice to get a group and explore for a week or so. There goes my 06 vacation. <G>

I've just about found all the websites that I used this year. Now, I have to go back and read up on things that I didn't read to carefully since I wasn't planning on going to them but...

It looks like airfare is sticking about the same. I don't know when the perfect time to buy it would be. I do know that the rate that Carnival is showing is to high. You can beat it.

A flight option is to fly into Seattle and take the train/bus/rental car up to Vancouver. An offshoot would be do a round trip out of Seattle and than take a one way from Anchorage to Seattle. I believe someone posted that Alaska Airline has a fare for $200.00 (one way). Another option would be one way to Vancouver but I'm not considering it. I'm looking at flying into Seattle and maybe take a tour of Mt. Ranier if there are no people planning on stayiing after the cruise. I'll probably take Amtrak up to Vancouver and stay a couple of days. I'm starting to look into whale tours out of Vancouver. I've always wanted to see the Orcas in the wild so..

Too much to plan, so little time.

Hondo

Mike Lee December 29th, 2004 06:49 PM

Mary,

Does this mean you won't be going on the May 8th Valor cruise?

Mike

Mary P December 29th, 2004 07:13 PM

Mike - I'm going to cancel May cruise - I have a cruise to the Carribbean on Valor already booked for November 13 with my daughter and I have always wanted to go to Alaska - so I'm biting the bullet and spending the money to go. Bit more pricey, but it'll be my first time there.

I'll miss meeting all of the royal crew - but I can't pass this up.

Mary

Post Edited (12-29-04 19:14)

Mary P December 29th, 2004 07:17 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Alaska Singles Cruise

Hondo - I was looking for a few days before or after the cruise - I can't take two weeks off because of other vacations planned - Myrtle beach in May and Carribbean in November.

I have been looking at different sites - Denali after the cruise - I will be coming in to Vancouver one or two days early to be sure not miss the cruise by plane delay.

Mary P December 29th, 2004 07:24 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Alaska Singles Cruise

Hondo - when I talked with them today I asked about the chat site - they said they set it up around 90 days prior to the trip - once booked - you start getting emails, etc. I confirmed and I am booked.

Now to get planning on the warmer gear to bring - guess I'll leave the snorkling mask and fins home - water will be too cold and the fish are too big for me - I'll just look at them off the balcony with a hot toddy!!!!

Mary

Mary P January 2nd, 2005 08:19 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Alaska Singles Cruise

Hondo - checked air prices Seattle vs Vancouver - about the same when you add in the train fair from Seattle to Vancouver (and that is only $24) Makes one think a stop over in Seattle first and then to Vancouver. Haven't been to either place.

Mary

Mike Lee January 3rd, 2005 01:05 PM

Mary,

Too bad about Valor. I'm on the fence too myself. Hey if you decide to pass thru Seattle on your way up to Vancouver, look me up for a drink.

Mike

Hondo January 3rd, 2005 07:22 PM

Hi Mary:

I haven't had a lot of time lately to look at the fares. Too much going on. Unfortunately. I won't know till probably the end of the month if this is a go or not. I'm assuming it is but you never know.

Unless airfares really take a dive, I'm probably going to stay a couple of days in Seattle than take the train the day of the cruise to Vancouver. I don't know Vancouver at all. Or, maybe the day before since I'd be breaking one of my travel rules. This would mean a hotel in Vancouver though.

The only key would be if Vancouver has a good whale watching tour. If I could find a good tour than I'd cosider staying/staying longer.

Who knows. Who cares. <G>

Hondo

Mary P January 3rd, 2005 07:29 PM

Hondo - I heard today that Delta Airlines is going to offer "oneprice" low fares - don't know when that is happening - but I'll be watching to see if other airlines follow suit. I am leaning towards one day/night in Seattle and then the $24 train to Vancouver one day/night - I'd be interested in see if there's a whale watch in Vancouver - probably get a cheaper price I would think?

PS - I've never been to Seattle either.

Mary

Hondo January 3rd, 2005 09:58 PM

Hi Mary:

I know. I'm wondering what Delta is going to offer out of Cincinnati. I have a feeling that it's going to be pretty reasonable.

I anchored one leg to Alaska from Seattle. I was there for 3 days so I got a good feel of at least downtown. Sort of. <G> I wanted to go to the Boeing factory and Mt. Ranier but I didn't plan well enough. I have a feeling Mt. Ranier may take place of a couple of tours or maybe not. I don't want to blow to much vacation time. Need to save it for Alaska in 06.

I'm not sure about a Vancouver Hotel. It would be nice to stay at the same hotel that most everyone will be staying at but ... Or, I guess I could just get a B&B or Hostel.

I think the good spotting is at Prince Edward Island so that's where I'm going to start. I don't know about the season though. I'm going to contact a friend in Juneau and see what are the chances up there will be in June for killer whales.

Hondo

Mary P January 5th, 2005 06:24 AM

Mike - Seattle - touristy things - the needle I know - what else is a must see in a one day/night iin Seattle?

Mary

Mike Lee January 5th, 2005 01:17 PM

Mary,

You'll have to help me narrow down this somewhat with what you're interested in. There are soooo many things to see in Seattle that 1 day/night is really tough. Send me an email directly.

Mike

Mary P January 7th, 2005 06:07 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Alaska Singles Cruise

Hondo - I checked out the Delta - and it was more - where's the half price ? Still surfing the net trying to get some info hanging around a day or two in Anchorage.

Mary

Hondo January 7th, 2005 08:23 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Alaska Singles Cruise

Hi Mary:

Who knows? I haven't been able to look into the airfares yet. Work has been a wee bit busy. I'm off in a couple of days so I'll have a little time to look. I'm also will be looking into Cleveland. I believe they have a SouthWest hub. This one week cruise maybe turning into a couple of weeks to a month. Oh vell. Need to work some more comp time. <G>

Have you heard back about Seattle? I asked a couple of people about whale tours out of Seattle but no response yet. I'm going to a Alaska seminar tomorrow and I plan on grilling the people there. Hopefully they will have some personal knowledge.

I know the needle is a bit pricey. Instead of the needle, I went up to an observation deck in a bank building. The views from there were pretty good. I am planning on going up the needle though. Pike's Market is also a good place to go. I plan to go there and load up on the crabs. I was a little disappointed with Ivars (sp?) so hopefully someone will recommend another seafood place.

With a day or two in Anchorage, Denali is out of the ballpark. I don't know if I want to spend the extra 4-5 days to go to Denali this year or not. Maybe with a good group but .... I just don't want to waste the days since I'm going to go there next year. One other possibility that I'm playing with is taken a flightseeing tour from Anchorage. My only concern would be the min that they need and the price.

Rogue

Mary P January 8th, 2005 10:14 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Alaska Singles Cruise

Hondo - here's a site to look at - and you might want to look at the Juneau link - there is a new tour via jet ski - that is if you are that brave!!!

http://www.dollyvardenalaska.com/

Mary

hondo January 9th, 2005 10:30 AM

Hi Mary:

Jet ski in Juneau. I don't know. I'd rather be jet skiing in St. Martin but...

I'm still debating Juneau. Actually, I have a feeling that a couple of tours are probably booked pretty good. I need to make a decision or it's going to be to late for some of them.

I have a feeling that they probably will not know Port Promotions tours for a couple more months and for Alaska, it will be a couple months to late. The good tours go pretty quick.

I'll be looking into this Monday since I'm finally off. 12 days in a row kind of stinks but I have some comp time to play with now. It's looking like a go.

It's going to be hard taking a singles cruise to Alaska. You are kind of divided between two things. The scenery and the singles "events" I hope the mods take that in consideration in planning the events.

Oh vell. Back to vork.

Hondo

Duke January 9th, 2005 03:24 PM

Greetings My Fellow Cruisemates.....

I'M Missing Y-o-u!

Rani Mary

I'M Missing Y-ou!

Hondo

To the Cruise.

Duke of Bizzaro

Hondo January 9th, 2005 04:47 PM

Hey Duke:

It sounds like you guys are going to have a blast. It really sucks not being able to go but I couldn't do the supplement. Although, Alaska is going to cost about two to three times what I thought it was going to be. That dang dog sledding and bear running. Err watching. <G>

I think Mary and I will start the Alaska chapter of the Bizzaro gang. Who knows. You guys will probably want to take another cruise right away.

Hondo

Mary P January 13th, 2005 02:56 AM

Hondo -
Looking into Skagway - the WhitePass Railroad - looks like a tour not to miss - go to their website - search White Pass Railroad. It is an $89 round trip. If you book through the cruise - don't know cost -you board right at the dock. However, if you book online thorugh White Pass - you have to board at the rail station - I'm not sure how far it is from the ship. I wonder which is better - don't know which is the first to board. I've sent an email to WP to get directions and which is better - at the dock or at the station to board.

How did the Alaska talk go - anything of interest to share?

mary

Mary P January 13th, 2005 10:57 PM

Called White Pass - the first stop is at the cruise terminal and the station is about a 1/2 mile away.

They say either side of the train is good.

It is recommended that it is good to book early with the Cruiseline.

Mary