Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 12th, 2005, 11:09 PM
Ferret

Default cruisingforlove.com- no good

When I was researching singles cruises, I found no negative coments about this agency, which means I guess it's up to me to say something so others don't make the same mistake I made.

I just got off the ship from my first and LAST cruise with this company. I had been on two previous singles cruises with singlescruise.com and had a great time...would book with them again. They really have their act together. I decided to go with cruisingforlove.com (Apr 4th 2005 on Carnival Legend) because it had a different itenerary than the usual Caribbean. I came on this site (cruisemates.com) and others to research the agency and found nothing bad. I actually found one positive comment. This surprises me now.

My complaints:
First, the woman running operation, Ann, ***edited 04/15/05*** is somewhat of a flake. I believe she means well, but she is not very professional. It felt like it was the first time she had planned one. There was a huge problem since she had an incorrect address on her website and my check got lost in the mail. Luckily it got sent back to me and I was able to get it back to her in time, but it was a problem that should never had happened and caused delays requiring overnight mails and constant e-mails on my part (don't expect Ann to get in touch with you to let you know she has not received your payment.)

The pre-cruise planning isn't very good. The message board was archaic and made it impossible to really communicate with anyone. At this point I began to think I made a mistake, but I was already committed.

Once on board I realized there were only 40 or so singles, most of whom were older (I later learned that this cruise had originally been billed as an over-35 cruise, but later that was changed...I guess to attract more passengers, which of course was a disappointment to me as a 20something). There were very few events to meet the other singles, and the ones that existed were so corny! Nobody wanted to attend.

The cruise directors on boards were no more than friendly passengers. Again, like Ann, very unorganized and like they had never done this before. It was basically up to us to find stuff to do, which is fine, but kind of defeats the purpose of booking a singles cruise. They had to beg us to come to the group photo since nobody wanted to. The tried to organize a second one, but still very few people went. This should give you an idea of how much the group felt any kind of connection to each other.

If you really want to meet other singles, don't go with this agency. You would be better off booking through expedia or something (less money and headaches.) I hope some of the other passengers in my group chime in. I heard so many complaints from many of the cruisers in this group. Most said they would not book through this agency again.
Sponsored Links
Old April 13th, 2005, 01:26 PM
Beginner

Default Re: cruisingforlove.com- no good

yes i would have to agree with farret. I did have fun,but it was not what i expected. cruisingforlove I think is more for the older folks. I didn t know that intill i got on the boat. And that was a big surprise. The events they had planned always was inside during the day. Who wants to sit inside on a nice sunny day. For me it was like i wasn t even on a singles cruise. I wouldn t recomend going a cruise with that group.I know that i will never book a cruise through them. Way too much confusion, when i booked ann would never call me back when she said she would. Everytime i called her it seemed like i was bothering her. So if your young and thinking of booking a singles cruise steer clear of cruisingforlove.

Post Edited (04-14-05 21:12)
Old April 13th, 2005, 05:31 PM
Passenger

ill be glad to follow up on this johnny. i was booked on aug 21 to alaska thru ***edited for commercial content 04/13/05*** i also talked with ann, it was like pulling teeth to get info from her and took days to respond to my email questions, said i asked too many questions,well if im spending 1500.00 and i ask 50 questions, i want 50 answers on what im getting for my money.
***edited for inflammatory content*** i would never recommend going with cruising for love ever. and im sur gla t osee this posted makes me feel alot better.
Old April 13th, 2005, 05:36 PM
Passenger

the above mesage has wrong email on it??? b4coco@yahho.com just in case
Old April 13th, 2005, 09:47 PM
windycity kitty

Ferret I was in this group e mail me and let me know who you are, I think I know. I had a very good time but agree with you that the activities were stupid and I also wish there were more young people in the group. You can read my review in the other post in defence of cruising for love.
Old April 14th, 2005, 02:23 PM
sapphire

Interesting comments.... there were only 2 or three of this age in the group (and if they had asked, they would have gotten the average age) and they never participated in anything that I am aware of, not even dinner from the first night....but were seen around the ship with other young people...don't now if this is the young lady who was having a fling with a crew member and walked out on a proimse to buy an excusion ticket from another member of the group (who was in a wheelchair as the result of an accident 30 minutes before leaving for the airport) or not... or the young man who went through the wallet of another young lady in the group...it depends on what you are looking for. PERIOD. I have been on several of the singles.com cruises and a couple with Ann...true, I am older and am not expecting to find that "true love" on a boat....Love Boat experiences are few and far between...but if you don't want to travel alone, pay high single supplements, and want to have someone to hang with and have a good time, Ann's cruises are fine. Once you are on the ship, it is up to you to have a good time. Her cruise directors had plenty of activities which were no more ridiculous than some on other singles' cruises. We had good weather and people chose, that is the operating word here, folks, "chose" to do other things. It was not their fault.. I don't expect the cruise directors to keep me busy and happy....at least they were visible....Please do not judge Ann's tours by one negative from a very young person...base your decisions on what YOU want. Many of us had a good time....I know I did....
Old April 14th, 2005, 05:04 PM
Ferret

I can't speak for anyone else, but I did go to dinner the first night with the group. I also attended the initial cocktail party and meet and greet where we did the "put your initials on my paper" game. This is silly. Nobody even talked. It was hit and run. It was an 8-day cruise and there were only things planned on the first two days and the last day. I also didn't fool around with any crew members, but if I did, so what?!

*** edited 04/14/05***

Like I said, I'm not overly picky and not expecting to meet the man of my dreams, just hoping for an experience that would be more than if I would have booked through Carnival myself. Your mileage may vary. I'm sure there are plenty of people that have fun on Ann's cruises. I did too, but it was not what I was expecting from past singles cruise experiences.
Old April 14th, 2005, 05:35 PM
Passenger

saphire, as you said many of you had a good time, its there job to make sure EVERYONE has a good time, and if not they better find out whats wrong and fix it to make there customers happy, ALL of the customers.
Old April 14th, 2005, 11:12 PM
Passenger

I totally agree with you . I went with this company because a friend booked it for us. It is like you said, very disorganized, not many activities planned. actually i can't think of any, other than having dinner together. From what I have heard if you talk to the head waiter you can be seated at a singles table. I feel like the whole thing was overpriced. When it got close to the date of the cruise , cruising for love lowered their price just to get more people, and some even got a private room for a lot less than we paid. When I had a problem and talked to Ann bout the price I was paying when i saw that the rate was being reduced, she just said too bad, can"t do anything for you. Jan
Old April 15th, 2005, 09:59 AM
Ferret

Wow...I see both my posts were edited. While I know what it was that was taken out, I'm not going to bother to write it again because it was obviously out of line (not sure why though.)

It's a shame, since the internet is probably the most valuable tool a savvy traveler has, and I believe it to be even more important in researching a singles cruise. Information, good and bad, should be out there to let people decide for themselves.
Old April 15th, 2005, 05:24 PM
Passenger

ferret they deleted both of mine on ANNS REPSPONE to defend herself, thats is wrong people out here shpuld know hopw bad CFL is and how bad ann is as a host and customer service, i bet ann pays this site off so people dont see what negatives htibgs are said of her company.
Old April 16th, 2005, 07:58 AM
Iceman

And we all thought this was an open area to chat. You have to watch on here Big Brother is allways watching Iceman
Old April 16th, 2005, 04:15 PM
Ferret

apparently not....I got a couple of emails about this.

There are people out there (don't know if Ann is one of them) that threaten to sue bulletin boards for negative information written about then...and even if there is no real case for libel, most of the times moderators would rather delete than deal with the BS.
Old April 16th, 2005, 09:44 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: cruisingforlove.com- no good

When unnecessary hurtful remarks are made about an individual they must be edited. But I do hope that you will continue to utilize the Cruisemates messages boards for the purpose they were intended. We are a wonderful cruise website. One of the best --if not THE best --on the internet. And if I can ever help you with anything connected with singles cruising, please let me know.

Sincerely,

Post Edited (04-16-05 21:57)
Old April 17th, 2005, 10:53 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: cruisingforlove.com- no good

oops---

I was about to say there was a consistancy problem, but it seems the other post has been deleted after all.

(I can edit but not delete-sorry for the clutter)!

Todd

Post Edited (04-17-05 10:55)
Old April 17th, 2005, 07:20 PM
Passenger

hurtful remarks???? u mean u delete the truth about how someone feels about a certain booking agency, so others who search may be aware of them....its the old saying u mean, "the truth hurts" i know how i as treated by CFL , i will never consider the agency again.
Old April 17th, 2005, 09:44 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

It's perfectly acceptable to make comments (negative or positive) about an agency. It's not acceptable to make PERSONAL attacks for any reason.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old April 17th, 2005, 11:52 PM
Chris in Tampa

I went on a CFL cruise in March, also on Carnival Legend, and can provide another perspective on my experience.

My pre-cruise interaction with Ann was fine - I did not have the issues you did, so I can't relate - she worked to try to find a cabin partner for me, but in the end helped me get a good deal.

I agree with you on the message board - it needs some serious work. It would be a great feature if it were done correctly. I happen to be a web site administrator and think Ann would benefit greatly from a little help on her whole web site.

Our group was about the same size as yours. We had maybe 5-7 in their 20s, but most were in the 30-50 age group. We also had half a dozen over 50s, I am 40, so the age range was about right for me, but even still, with a smaller group, the options are limited if you're looking to meet someone. The 20-something guys in our group pretty much ventured outside our group in search of meeting people, and were pretty successful. Just because you come on a cruise with a group doesn't mean you have to stick with that group all the time to have fun. But I can see where it was disappointing if you were expecting a lot more people in your age group. I think you should have asked before the cruise what the age breakdown was. I did, and Ann gave me that information.

Regardless of age, the majority of our group made friends quickly and had a great time. There were a couple of "couples" that developed, but most did not seem to have that as a priority.

I think the downside of having a smaller group was balanced by the fact that I got to know most of the people in our group very well and we became good friends by the end of the week. But I do think it would have been better if the group were slightly larger, just to help the demographics and provide enough numbers in all the age groups.

I was not overly impressed with the on-board activities planned with our group, but it didn't seem like that big of deal. We all had fun together, whether it was "planned" or not. Mostly it involved things like hanging out at the pool, dancing, or singing karaoke. I agree that the group director has a certain responsibility to provide group activities, but I disagree that they are solely responsible for making sure that every participant has a good time -- at some point you have to take it upon yourself to have fun. I think if you dwelt so much on how much you felt like the group director should have been doing that you forgot the purpose of your trip - which was to enjoy yourself, regardless.

We had no trouble getting people together for things like the group photo. Most everyone in our group had dinner together most nights, and we spent a lot of time together. Maybe just bad luck on your part to be stuck with a bad group? Doesn't sound like you were a barrel of laughs, either!

Bottom line - I think some of your comments are valid, and that CFL can definitely improve their service both pre-cruise and during the cruise. But I had a great time on my cruise and would not mind cruising with her service again. It sounds like your group had a much worse experience, but I at least wanted to provide an alternate viewpoint on CFL.

Chris
Old April 18th, 2005, 03:41 AM
windycity kitty

I had a great time, and went on this one. I can certainly understand Ferrets point of view. I myself was not personally attracted to the males in my group,
(just not my type )but they were a nice enough bunch. The women were wonderful, and hey I found a guy of my type on the ship. I would have liked to have had a larger group, ,but you know what? I found that age doesn't always make a big difference. Some of my favorite people were eather much younger or older. The group did bond quickly and it was better then going alone and trying to find a family to adopt me I always had someone to do stuff with and the whole experiance opened my mind to give others a chance, talk to people and make new friends from all age groups and different walks of life. Ferret try Singles cruise. com next time and let us know your results with them. I wish you all the best.
Old April 18th, 2005, 10:42 AM
wildjen68

Everytime I read this thread a get angrier and angrier it say no personal attacks I or they will be delete.I very hurtful attack on another thread was made to me and it just got deleted 2 days ago and it was up there for many months and yes it was reported but you did nothing. I think it all depends you the person is for something to be done about it.I know at least one of the monorators went on a cruise and wrote a article about the cruise so of course there at biased about the company.so the post was deleted right away.
Jen/ct
Old April 18th, 2005, 12:34 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to John G

does this work??
Old April 18th, 2005, 01:13 PM
Passenger

Interesting Thread.....I read the post several times on another thread re: Jen and a particular group on a singles cruise......and certainly I felt like the post was a bit misleading about that particular person, but certainly about the same "Flavor" as the post opening this thread about CFL and their management. I kind of doubt that there is any payola going on. I have a CFL cruise on NCL booked for august so I have not been on one yet, but Ann always answers my E mails and returns my phone calls and I can be pretty annoying hahahaha. From these reviews and personal experience with the big singles group company I would think that the atmosphere will be a bit different, primarily around NUMBER of singles in the group. The current group on that Alaska cruise ranges from 27 to 55 (I am 55). On two out of four big company singles groups, its kind of difficult for me to imagine how something could be more disorganized. (not that it bothered me). I am kind of also getting the feeling that CFL bunch may be a bit more destination oriented and not as oriented to the "scene" on the ship. The activities described by Ann seem about the same as the ones on the big company cruises (which could certainly be described as "lame"), but who cares. I am thinking that "how could you get dummer than a jammie party playing musical chairs with the guys sitting down on the chairs seeing which ladie is going to sit on you?" I also get the impression that CFL. Like any travel experience sometimes ya have to GO before Ya KNOW. John/Juan, NM usa
Old April 20th, 2005, 12:29 PM
Yeoman

Well said, Kuki. Thanks.

Old April 28th, 2005, 11:46 AM
Beginner

anyone else
Old May 27th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

It is possible to relate your opinions about a tour operater, cruise line or other poster without making what CruiseMates defines as a personal attack. Basically this means calling a person names or accusing them of illegal or immoral activities.

You may call it censorship, but we prefer to think of it as good taste and manners. This is a public forum, and anything you say can and might be used against you in a court of law -- to borrow a phrase from television. Seriously, it is not necessary to make call anyone names on top of criticizing the performance or services of the agency. I am sure they are feeling the pain enough without adding insult to injury.

And the same goes for CruiseMates staff. We provide this board for you and we expect to be treated with respect ourselves. We do not appreciate accusations of things like "payola" or anything else immoral. We also reserve the right to delete or edit personal attacks against CruiseMates staff.

In any case - no, there is no payola, and in fact we don't even charge the singles agencies who list their cruises here for that service. We are as impartial as we can be. All we ask in return is that you abide by our Terms of Service as enumerated in our User's Agreement. If you think about it, it really is much more productive than allowing post after post of name-calling and hurt feelings.

Old May 28th, 2005, 07:49 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: Re: cruisingforlove.com- no good

Well said, Paul. I agree with you 100% and really glad you posted.

Old May 28th, 2005, 09:36 PM
Whiteknight

Well, I went with Cruising for Love last year and I thought Ann was really quite nice and I had a very good time. Granted, everything wasn't perfect, but I don't think I've ever been with a group that was perfect. I'm not sure it's even possible for an agency to handle 100 to 300 patrons without having some problems. At least I haven't met anyone yet who could walk on water and I don't expect anyone to be that perfect. I think it's all what you make it. If you go determined to have fun, you're going to have fun. If not, you're going to have problems.
Old June 4th, 2005, 01:22 PM
Passenger

Well I am the one that said payola but I said that I didnt think any of the editing of the posts had anything to do with "payola". Still haven't been on one of these CFL ones but I am still booked on one. The message board for the cruise was kind of awkward at first but now it seems to be working fine. Still haven't had any communication problems with the management.............the cruisers booked so far seem a bit sedate compared to some of the BIG carribean singles cruises I have been on, but afterall it is to Alaska and not the caribean/mexico party places. I think this company is trying to develop itself in a very competive market environment. I will write a review of it when I get there and back. John from NM

Old August 10th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to jgemoets@gmail.com
Default Ann's cruises

Obviously there will be mixed reviews on any singles booking company. Of course Ann is a bit more organized than I am, which isn't saying much actually. In the context of the cruise itself to Alaska from Seattle. Like other companies, of course it is rather expected to for the cruisers to help some with the precruise dinners etc. just like the other bigger booking agencies do, its part of the fun. John, NM
Old August 10th, 2009, 08:06 PM
First Mate

thanks for all the info