Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 6th, 2005, 09:13 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to BrendaS Send a message via Yahoo to BrendaS
Default A bunch of singles questions

I guess this post is for Pat Hagan mostly, but not really. First some questions...Is this message catagory "Singles" meant to be only for information for singles? For meeting singles and getting to know them? For discussing singles issues? A place for singles to vent? A place for harmless singles flirting? A place for off (cruise) topic singles posts? All of the above?

I wander all over the messages boards at CM because I find great info in lots of different places, but there are some catagories where I don't really feel at home. I could feel at home at this one except that...well, to be frank, this one can be kinda dry and boring sometimes. Are we allowed to liven this up by acting single?? Look at the teen board. It's little descriptive caption thingy says "Teens - Meet here. Meet onboard." I'd like to see it work that way for singles too.

Are there ever any CM cruises designed for singles? Some of the cruises look like fun but it seems like most people going on them are married. Yes, I know there is a list of companies that sell singles cruises, but I haven't seen an actual CM sponsered cruise that is for singles.

OK, sorry for being so long winded, but it just seems like this particular catgory isn't being used to it's fullest potential and I'm hoping that it's ok if we liven the joint up! If I'd known that being single could be so boring I'd have stayed married. NOT!!

Brenda - single and loving it!

Norwegian Dawn-12/11/2005

Sponsored Links
Old August 7th, 2005, 07:31 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to SingleDad
Default Re: A bunch of singles questions

What a great observation... I agree whole heartedly!!

Old August 7th, 2005, 06:35 PM
Yeoman

Wow! I didn't know you guys were bored. I've asked several questions lately to liven things up, so I'll try again. And, yes, it's okay to discuss anything pertaining to solo/single cruising. For instance, I'd like to hear about the best shipboard romance you've ever had. How did you meet onboard? Was it a steamy romance or just a let's-hang-out-and-be-buddies kind of thing. And if it was steamy, what happened when the cruise was over? If there's enough response, I'll write an article on the subject for Cruisemates' home page.

Just tell me topics you all would like to discuss. Here's another idea: If you went on an organized singles cruise, what did you like best? What did you like least? What improvements would you want on your next cruise?

If you have specific questions, email me at PHagan4952@aol.com. I'm always happy to try and help.

Pat Hagan, Singles Editor

Old August 13th, 2005, 04:44 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to John G

I agree Brenda, this message board is "dry as dust" except for sharing didactic information about the general subject of singles cruising. Pat is a great singles
editor and has great articles about singles cruising and doesn't seem as authoritarian at all compared to what happens on that Cruise C board. you can get deleted at the drop of the hat, if you say anything somebody considers "out of line" including looking for compatible roomates. I have met a couple of people here but we never seem to be on the same cruise at the same time......

My "read" on it are these a are big companies and then just a statement about need a roomate, prefer female because they are less messy and dont mess up the commode..............can be interpreteded as "sexual solicitation" or something in todays politically correct world.

Shipboard romances on Singles Cruises?? I know two people who I consider friends actually got married after meeting on a singles cruise and then several more people still have long term, albeit long distance relationships from meeting on a singles cruise. I have seen plenty of really hurt people on singles cruises, especially people who are in that recent loss situation where people are looking desperately for someone to replace the loss.....and there are actually a lot of people on singles cruises who want to party and YES get laid without office and work people knowing about their behavior. There are even married people who go on singles cruises and do some things I would hope my spouse wouldnt do (although I have no spouse anymore).

Pat was indicating she wanted to hear about some shipboard romances. ...........doubt if it is good enough compared to the romance of the cruiser and the crew member.

Ok entitled the Singles Cruise where I Didn't need a singles cruise...........

There had been a barge wreck at the mouth of the Mississippi, so our ship wasn't even there in New Orleans and scheduled embarkation. The ship had to dock in Gulfport Mississippi and then bus 2000 people off the ship to New Orleans and then the 2000 at New Orleans to Gulfport right through Mardi Gras. Finally getting on the bus to go to Gulfport at about 2 am, I sat next to a really pretty and interesting woman 34 year old with a two year old on the bus with a two year old boy. She was a recent transplant from Long Island, NY, to Tennessee. Since it was dark on the bus, I suppose it was ok with her because I was 55 at the time. She laughed at my lame jokes and I laughed at hers......actually we kind of became the "couple on the bus" making people laugh from the front of the bus to the back. Then the little kid finally went to sleep with his head on my shoulder while his mother and I kept chattering, and finally ended up holding hands..........hers were really cold and mine are really warm so that is probably the reason. Finally in the really wee hours of the morning we got to Gulfport and boarded the ship. At the elevators I gave her a light kiss on the forehead and a hand squeeze and discovered she was actually very pretty in the light as well as the dark. It was "nice meeting you" on both sides and a hand squeeze and never expected to see her again. Then lo and behold when the sun came up I went to buffet breakfast and there she was with the kid next to the door to outside on the Lido deck. She said "I thought if I sat next to the door I might see you again". We took the kid to camp Carnival and she got her hair highlighted while I waited...........THEN went to her lower Deck Cabin to change into her "swim suit". It turns out she has some kind of Celtic tatoo on her lower back that is full view with her black bikini, blue bikini, red bikini etc. We hung around with one another the whole cruise. I didnt go to many if any of the singles cruise activities except for the late dinners..........mothers with little kids get early dinner apparently...........the about 10 or so she would take her kid to the "nominal fee" ship babysitting, and we went to the kereoke bar, the piano bar, the classical string quartet cigar bar......the ice cream bar, the chocolate strawberry place. She liked my balcony deck nine cabin and she was my hostess at the wine tasting party (a singles cruise activity) in a precious black low cut dress. .........We both got some good company and I got the envy of the other male singles cruisers. We still write one another almost 2 years later and threaten each other about going on another cruise sometime together. By phone and by writing she knows I dont want to raise another kid (I already did two) and she doesnt want an old man when she is mid forties. I consider the whole thing to be a really magical experience in my life. JG NM
Old August 14th, 2005, 05:26 AM
Admiral

Singles cruises need to vary the time of their activities I only did one I think because they interfered with my suntan time by the pool deck. I would have liked more stuff done on Lido deck for sure. Also if there was a certain area in the show room for our group I never heard of it and always just found myself a seat sometimes with someone from our group. My main beef is this single companys should have an open chat area so people can try to find a cabin mate themselves,9before or after they actually book the cruise, for instance Im a night owl so I don't want to upset someone when Im up late in the cabin. They should ask more basic compatability questions or let people ask themselves. Still it's a crap shoot but I think it would help to nip problems in the bud.
Old August 14th, 2005, 08:26 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to John G

It looks like that CFL is trying this deal where you have kind of a "staging area" so the group would meet and then go as a group to the show. Singlescruise.com at least did have an open message board for each singles cruise IF you had booked with them before or could BS the office staff to let you join the message boards "to see if you wanted to go". I have seen several people get roomates that way, call the office and say you want to room with "so and so" They are Yahoo board so there is a picture place, polls, data base, member profiles etc. In fact a couple of times the girl/guy roomate thing worked out so well they didn't need to be on a singles cruise..............but then a couple of other times it was a disaster with people angry and sleeping on the floor in other peoples cabins etc. Not sure how vacations to go and some other agencies handle it.

I have decided from observations on these singles cruises and previous roomate situations at conventions and so on, that if I can't afford a single room, (and I am single at the time) I just don't go until I have the money for single occupancy. The times I have consented to have a male roomate in a hotel sure enough I would meet somebody who I was interested in (at least vaguely) and she was interested in me (vaguely) order some room service wine watch my watch and sure enough here would come the roomate guy relieve himself all over the seat, flop down on a chair and turn on the TV........"hey dude, I just gotta see this movie, hope you don't mind" and more often than not SHE would have TWO roomates herself. Ain't being single just wonderful at those times? John from NM

Old August 14th, 2005, 04:06 PM
beetlgator

I agree with John about the roomate situations.

When going on conventions I plan months in advance to get a room by myself so I don't have to worry about what my roomate will be like instead of enjoying the event.

Likewise, when I take my first cruise I plan to go single and I plan to pay it off months in advance. If something does happen romanticly I will not worry about my roommate coming in a interrupting anything important.
Old August 14th, 2005, 04:31 PM
Passenger

Have to agree with John and Beetlegator. It's a bit more expensive, but the privacy is worth it.

Regal Princess 4/03
Norwegian Star 11/03
Norwegian Wind 4/04
Dawn Princess 5/04
Norwegian Wind 9/04
Carnival Spirit 11/04
Norwegian Wind 3/05
Holland America Ryndam 5/05(2, back 2 back)
Carnival Liberty 9/05
NCL America, Pride of America 12/05
Norwegian Wind 4/06
Carnival Liberty 11/06