Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 7th, 2005, 06:39 PM
Yeoman

Default Best shipboard romance

I'm sure many of you solo/single cruisers have had a shipboard romance...or two...or three, right? How about posting and letting us hear which was best and why. Where did you meet onboard? Did it last after the cruise? Give me enough stories and I'll write an article about it for Cruisemates' home page. I won't use your email name if I use your story. Just give me initials and where you are from.

So dig out those scrapbooks and think about the best romance you've had at sea and tell us about it.

Pat Hagan
Singles Editor
Sponsored Links
Old August 8th, 2005, 11:06 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Best shipboard romance

I would give the percentage of singles looking for a ocean romance very high especially during New Years. Usually, if I go on a cruise for romance I try to get a cabin by myself.

Al
Old August 8th, 2005, 01:16 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Best shipboard romance

So is this true a new years eve cruise is the best time for finding something or someone special ? I'm 44 male and single living in Chicago. Wolud ther be the over 40 crowd on such a cruise ?

Consider myself somewhat pleasent to look at.

Scott
Old August 8th, 2005, 08:33 PM
Admiral

I've only been on 2 cruises, one was singles cruise, one was with my ex boyfriend.On the singles cruise I did have a romance but it was with a crew member still want my story?
Old August 8th, 2005, 08:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to BrendaS Send a message via Yahoo to BrendaS

I'd like to hear about it as long as no one is going to lose their job over it.
Old August 11th, 2005, 05:43 PM
Yeoman

Sure. Even if it is a crew member, it's still a romance, right? So let's hear it.

Old August 12th, 2005, 12:27 AM
Admiral

Ok , It was a fun little fling. I went to one of the vegas style shows one night and spotted this adorable blond in the Orchestra pit. I pointed him out to a female cruiser with my singles group and said "wow ,that blonde guys a little cutie" that was maybe my 2nd night of my 8 day cruise. Later in the week I was in the discoon formal night .I was talking to the ships social host who was a nice guy from New York ,when the blonde guy came in, he introduced us, I said hello and then said I don't really like the music here; but you wouldn't want to dance would you? He said why yes, yes I would ! So off to the dance floor we went. Seemed like the heads started turning quickly enough, by other crew and passengers who noticed we were socializing. We hit it off so quickly ,and he said something about playing the piano for me alone. I said I would love that so we went off and found a piano in the lobby and he did just that. He played some Billie Holiday for me.and we talked about jazz music etc.. It was great just the two of us no one seemed to notice then.

Then we went for a walk on deck, under the stars and moon, realizing there were cameras everywhere, ( that the captain watches) we started running from camera to camera pausing long enough to kiss beneath each one. It was very romantic, and since it was forbidden it was pretty exciting as well. He was really worried about getting caught with me and getting fired, he was a recent hire I believe. Anyway I said "there must be somewhere we can go for some privacy, you know the ship better then I do". So we snuck into one of the lounges that was closed, back stage for more talking and kissing. He was from Canada and spoke french by the way! We decided we were pushing our luck so we exchanged state room numbers and ageed to meet the next day. I just slipped out from behind the curtians when in walked security. Wow ,close call!
Just pretended I was wandering around checking out the ship. They didn't find my guy behind the curtain.

Next day I tried to call him in his cabin, my phone wouldn't go through, so I called the desk spoke to a very irratatedfemale staff member who did not connect me cause she knew I was a passenger and he was staff. I went on deck and asked another girl in our group who was getting friendly with another male staff member how to reach him, she said try one of the ships phones so I did and it worked. I told my sweetie I was at the Aft pool and he said he would be right up. He came up and since word traveled like wild fire that I finally met someone, and some of my group saw us leave the disco the night before I had to introduce him to everyone. He was very polite and charming. We walked around together but tried not to be obvious that we were together. Then since I wanted to kiss him goodbye and he had to do a show I slipped him in my stateroom for a little while. not that this is your business but he was a gentlemen the whole time he was in my room.I thought I put the do not distrub sign on the door when there was a pounding on my door. My guy almost had a heart attack and hid in the bathroom, it was just my cabin mate telling me that I had the maid make up room sign on by mistake! Opps, anyway my poor guy was so scarred he thought it was security coming to put him off the ship.
He said he would see me later, I said how and when he said "don't worry I will find you"
At dinner everyone was grilling me for details but everyone was happy that I met someone. The women all agreed he was very good looking. One of my group came in late and said "I just saw your guy in the hall he's playing with a quartet." So after dinner there he was right down the hall from the dining room. He introduced me to his band members and to his cabin mate who blushed when he saw me. Anyway I asked him what he said later and his friend said "do it, do it, do it! I guess I got his approval.

Next day I went to see him play one of his shows one I adready seen, after the show I just sort of hung around in the showroom I ran into a family I meet on a shore excursion
and started talking to them. I didn't think my guy saw me from stage, but I guess he did because he came out and talked to me after the show and I walked with him on the ship again. Later that night we met up at the disco again but it was the last night of the cruise, he had to pack and the staff was having it's goodbye party. II got pissed off cause he didn't seem to have time for me and I wasn't going to wait around for him all night, so I went back to my cabin, I had already exchanged contact info with him and told him my ever cool cabin mate would give us some privacy if we wanted it. I thought well that's it I probally won't see him again. I was upset packed my bags and went to sleep. But at 2 am my phone rang it was him, telling me he was sorry, he still had not packed, and was helping his friend who was way too drunk etc. I was fast asleep when he called, and I was mad because I thought I wouldn't get to spend any quality time with him ,before the cruise was over. He was telling me he was sorry, and he didn't want things to end badly for us, I told him I was disappointed and couldn't hide the fact, then he said I'll be right there and hung up! 5 minutes later he was at my door. My ever cool cabin mate woke up, got dressed and went away for at least an hour or so I lost track of time. The details are personal but let's just say we made up. It turned out to be a great evening after all. Later my cabin mate knocks on the door and says security is all over the place, she kept watch and my guy slipped out of the room. A few minutes later my cabin mate comes back and said he thanked her and gave her a kiss for the private time.

Well people from my group saw that I had left the disco upset so I had to fill them in on the updated version of the night before. We were all on lido deck having breakfast and waiting for our turn to get off the ship. I spotted a ship phone and dialed my guys cabin, he sounded so happy to hear from me. He said he was just packing and I offered to help, he put me on the phone with one of his crew mates and then he said "ok where are you and what are you wearing?" I told his crew mate and my guy said he's coming to get you. Within minutes some guy was looking at me hard and I said yes it's me, and told him my name. He grabbed me by the arm and said "common if anyone see's us I don't know you! " With that he wisked me below deck to the crews deck, and past a huge line of crew members who knew I was not one of them, an arm came out of a stateroom and pulled me in, it was my guy! I got to say goodbye again, we were kissing his cabin mate was like "ok I'll leave you two alone, and we said no that was fine he could stay. "Turned out he had met a passenger also and got snuck into her cabin also so it was rather amusing hearing about his story. I said I better get off the ship so we said goodbye, we exchanged e mails for a while but then stopped. All in all I have no regrets, I understand his lifestyle and didn't kid myself about us getting serious when he lives on a ship. Still it would be great to see him someday.
Old August 12th, 2005, 08:27 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to BrendaS Send a message via Yahoo to BrendaS

WOW! What a story. You know, some people only get to experience that type of thing in their dreams. You'll remember that cruise for the rest of your life. Thanks for sharing with us.

Brenda
Old August 12th, 2005, 05:29 PM
First Mate

It sounds like a great adventure.

Not to sound like a stick in the mud, but this is why cruise ships put rules that crew members should not get involved with guests? With all this talking between the groups and ship employees I am surprised that the gossip having gone back to the captain or high personnel.

True no one was hurt doing the fun you were having but the gentleman could have lost his job if both of you had gotten caught. I can also say this is probably not this employee first time he has a tryst with a female guest.

You also realized that it could only work with a female guest and a male employee not the other way around.

Though you must also wonder how many other women he has done this with?
Old August 13th, 2005, 03:04 AM
Admiral

I had fun It was not planned, nor was it expected. I didn't chase him we just clicked. Im sure he probally has other girlfriends maybe other ship romances, Im thinking staff but who knows, I really don't care. It was "safe" fun. It was not my job at stake ,and I didn't hold a knife to his throat if he wanted to stop things I would have understood. We are both adults. He is talented and if he did lose this job Im sure he would have no problem finding another. I do understand though because I've worked at places where romances with customers are not permitted and dated people on the side anyway, yes my job was at stake. One of them was the company owners ex son in law oh well, things happen.
Old August 13th, 2005, 03:10 AM
Admiral

By the way Pat there were quite a few other on ship romances, with people hooking up in our singles group. It was amusing cause I had no idea some of them were older in their 50's! Hey your never too old to have fun! And some younger 30's -40's at least 2 of them became my f friends, so I will mention this site and see if they care to add to your post.
Old August 13th, 2005, 03:23 AM
Admiral

Opps major typo did not mean to have an extra F before friends I was not implying anything nasty ,please disregard that typo.I don't know if I can edit my message after I clicked post but if you can remove that typo for me Pat I would apresheate it.
Old August 13th, 2005, 03:44 AM
Admiral

By the way I reported my own message is there no way to fix a typo after you hit post?
Old August 13th, 2005, 08:54 AM
Passenger

Did you see an "edit" button anywhere? I seem to remember seeing it on my posts.

(update) Yes,

under "reply to this message" and "report this message" is "edit my post".

(update #2) I see that different posts of yours have different IP addresses...perhaps your ISP uses dynamic IP addresses, and that's interfering with the forum's ability to detect that you're the same person and preventing you from editing? (wild guess)

Todd

Post Edited (08-13-05 08:57)
Old August 13th, 2005, 01:26 PM
Admiral

I did not see an edit button, I had to log out then log back in, it let me edit old messages in the meet on board catagory but not here. Strange. It also kept saying my password was incorrect when I had it mailed to me and it was correct. I don't know much about computers other then net surfing, I did the best I could and was not able to correct the problems.
Old August 14th, 2005, 03:00 PM
Beginner

Showcat I'm glad you had a great time. Don't mind the haters! You only live once.
Old August 14th, 2005, 03:12 PM
First Mate

Didn't mean to sound like a hater and glad that Showcat had a great time just wanted to be a voice of reason for anyone else who want to do a tryst with one of the ship crew member. I wouldn't use this as a "romance" but "A Roll in the Hay" story and if this was what Pat meant then it should be titled "Best Roll in the Hay with a ship employee while not getting caught by ship's security" story. If that is the case I am sure Pat will have plenty of stories coming her way.

But I am not a hater everyone.
Old August 15th, 2005, 07:24 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to John G

I think there is a crew section of the message board somewhere where maybe the policies about crew/passenger interaction is discussed. There is one guy who tends to tend bar about every other cruise and he said on the infrequent days off on a rotating basis in port the service staff can behave how they want when off the ship. I think the entertainment staff and the service staff and the officer staff all have different rules. I bought after show drinks for this Romanian Flautist in the classical music bar and it didnt seem to be a problem.........except for some winks from the bartender. (I'm not sure if he was winking at her or me hahahha). Of course that is certainly not the shipboard romance of the century like this "thread" is supposed to be about. I think Showcat's story was good............kind of like the steerage irishman and the debutante on Titanic..........Guess it wasn't that good cuz the ship didn't sink . hahahha
Old August 16th, 2005, 01:44 AM
Admiral

Im glad the ship didn't sink! Heck Im not complaining early in the week I was disappointed not being attracted to anyone, one couple even wanted to fix me up with someone back home, they said I was quote "too hot looking for my group" the guy I meet was 14 years younger then me so I think I did good. with all the friends I made, but Im a realist about vacation romances or flings. Something long lasting would be great but what are the odds of that? When everyone is from different states or even countrys! If I didn't meet someone I would have still had fun but the romance of being at sea is much better shared don't you agree?
Old August 16th, 2005, 07:38 AM
Passenger

We are not giving Pat many good romance stories here, except for Showcat. I posted the ONLY one I ever has in 6 cruises but for some reason I put it in the singles cruise a lot of questions thread. I have seen some romances........the recently widiowed rich guy from Cayman and a jersey woman residing in Florida.....one Brit guy and a pretty woman from Florida fell in love on a Europe singles cruise and are now married. Another Brit guy who flys to Texas to see someone several times a year. A pretty Ct woman who found a relationship via message board and a cruise to Mexico, a southern Califa woman and a guy from Cinci, Ohio......(that is still going on after he agreed to correct his grammar) ...........but I think we need to put real ones that happened to us.

On this upcoming singles cruise I am going on next Sunday the prospects for romance seem fairly dim. Let's not quibble about the difference in what is a roll in the hay vs a fling vs a walk in the moonlight vs a romance has to end in marraige or cohabitiion at least. To me the whole idea of cruising has a romantic flavor to it. A walk in the moonlight and some risk involved in what is going to happen, the concept of "we know but nobody else does, or at least wonder about it"........"I think I love you, but its not going to work out because of circumstance...........lets have a good time and enjoy each other while we can" All of that is Romantic to me..........which I think is different from people I've seen on cruises who seem to be engaged in "score building" which I gave up in the early 70s which seems a bit sophmoric to me and is in no way romantic, like showcat's and my story in the other thread.
Old August 16th, 2005, 08:58 AM
First Mate

Maybe Pat has to redefine the term "Romance".

Obviously, when we think of romance on a cruise ship we see two people meet and getting to know each other from a 3 day to 20 day trip and near the end of the trip make love or at least vow to keep in contact and keep this "Love-Thing" going.

Now, from the guy's point of view anyway, it's how many women can you score with on the trip. Most everyone has a idea who this person that they will meet on the cruise will look like and that is good looking male/female, for the 20s and 30s somethings that is some one close to their age. In reality, the majority of the cruises reflects the average Americans which are overweight and in their 40s, 50s and 60s. If anyone does find romance during their trip it's more of a rarity than a commonplace.
Old August 16th, 2005, 10:57 AM
wildjen68

I think John is talking about me I met a guy on a singlescruise message board first then met him on the cruise and we hit it off.I wasn't looking for anything it just happened.We Met in april and we are still together it's a long distanse relationship and we make it work we talk every night and Iam going to visit him in a couple of weeks.
Jen/ct
Old August 16th, 2005, 02:33 PM
Passenger

Well tell the story Jen................you write ok...........wouldnt it be cool to have a story in a cruise magazine? Thats romantic too. I bet I can get nurse ratchet to write her story. Go for it but keep out the porn part hahahhaha

Old August 16th, 2005, 07:14 PM
Passenger

Not sure how to read your post beetle gator........it says two things .........one sounds romantic and then the next thing is like "immature playa" In a way I am sorry for the people who missed the 60s and 70s ,,,,,,,,,,,,There are actually serious guys who could be romantic in their 20s and 30s and by mid 30s or way before the women can spot the "playas" or told about who and what they are in the women's restroom (well ive been told that by women anyway) One time during my "playa stage" of development, THREE women went into the restroom (they seem to go in groups) and compared jewelry I had given them on different occasions, and I was afraid what else they may have talked about. NOW THAT is NOT "romanitc" that is down right embarrassing. ***edited for content*** I personallly dont care about it.............if tom gets the some fine women on film or is ben does its fine with me i just think for some reason it was way dum for brad not to keep relating to flake Jennifer............could have made some top apolitcal flakes who were good looking as per the toss in the gene pool......my favorite pitt saying, the intellectual giant that he is................" I dont have an opinion on Tibet.............."I am a no expert on Tibet I am a ***edited for content*** no wonder he got to DO jennnifer, long face and all. oh where are you "along came Polly " 20 years later I really like these "romantic comedies nowdays

hope you guys come up with some light hearted storie........................john from nm

***edited for content*** I stil dont think cruisin is asexual and non romantic no matter who or how old we are. I love it when the old ladies with the big rocks on their fingers and smile at me or the younger woman likes my good sun screen while the inattentave husband across the boat in his printed socks reevauates his position in the relationship with his wife. lets face it cruising has been romantic since aggamemnon or before. ***edited for content** sorry ive bored anybody who tried to read it John from NM USA

Old August 16th, 2005, 10:22 PM
Admiral

Thanks John G, romance is defined often by feeling, it can be something quick and unexpected or something that lasts longer. I don't feel I had a sleezy little roll in the hay. I have been to Spring Break in Daytona and that's a whole different animal. My friend from the group had a romance that lasted all week, while you could call that an extended roll in the hay ,I do not, she was in tears at the end of the cruise knowing she might never see the guy she met again. Then there was another guy who was reported to have been with 7 different women, he was making the rounds for sure. Let Pat have the storys and sort em all out and decide what to write, or what to leave out.
Old August 17th, 2005, 09:59 AM
wildjen68

i'll tell the whole story it first started in a singlescruise.com chatroom we were talking I never thought of romance or anything like that Iam 37 and he's 31also Iam in CT and he's in chicago area I didn't think he would be interested in me.One day he called me march talked for a little bit then after we talked every night(thank goodness for cell phones).We talked every day for 3 to 4 hours a night.(that's a feat in it' self because I don't talk that much) before the cruise which was in april.We first met at a pre-cruise party at the hyatt in longbeach.We really hit it off.The whole cruise we were together for every meal.We did all the excursions together.We were almost insepartible for the whole cruise.Then we had to say are good-byes when the cruise ended.After the cruise we still talked 3-4 hours a night once or twice for 5 hours.He came to visit me july 4th weekend and a great time.Iam going to visit him in two weeks.It couldn't of worked out any better I've been never happier then Iam.
Jen/ct
Old August 19th, 2005, 12:23 AM
Admiral

Cool Jen good 4 you! So will you still be singles cruising or will you book as a couple on a regular cruise and save some money? After doing a singles cruise I think they would be fun even if you did go with a boyfriend; seems to me you meet more people cause you are still in a group setting., but then the cost is much higher, and it sort of defeats the purpose in a way. What are your thoughts on this?
Old August 23rd, 2005, 10:12 PM
CK

Jen :

I would like to see a Pic of you together . Send it to my above address

Chetter
Old August 24th, 2005, 12:34 PM
wildjen68

Chetter there is photo of us on the havefriendswilltravel site which you are a member of.
I don't have the equipment to send you a picture plus I don't know how too.
Jen/ct
Old August 25th, 2005, 02:12 AM
Admiral

Hey here is an update my crew member just e mailed me and we are back in touch, he is no longer working on the ship, and say's he want's to see me again so perhaps there will be more to my story after all!