Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 13th, 2005, 07:33 PM
Jason K

Default Would a 26 year old single male have fun on a cruise alone?

Hi Everyone,

I am 26/m, and really want to go on a cruise in the next month. It's my last chance for a long vacation before I start work (I just graduated law school). One of my buddies was going to go with me but he dropped out. I'm kind of shy, and I don't want to end up lonely on one of those huge boats while everyone else is having the time of their lives!

What is the best option for me? There aren't really any singles cruises available in the next month (except for a labor day jewish one, but that's only 4 days--I'd like to do 7 days or so) and anyway I've heard that the age range is a little older on those. Is Carnvial my best bet? Any particular destination that is best for singles?

Thanks so much for any help! Also, if anyone is looking for a crusing buddy in the next month, let me know.

Jason
Sponsored Links
Old August 13th, 2005, 09:35 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to John G
Default Re: Would a 26 year old single male have fun on a cruise alo

there is a singlescruisecom one over labor day. Its carnival and there ARE some fun people on it. I am not sure how many of them are Jewish.............

Old August 14th, 2005, 06:15 AM
Admiral

Any warm weather climate port would be good choices the Caribbean is your best bet Eastern or Western. Yes Carnival attracts a younger lively crowd. I would book a singles cruise check with Vacations to Go and Singles Cruise web sites also Cruising for Love. You may not make a love connection but you will meet people and guess what even the older folks on my cruise were fantastic fun, cool people. I did cruising for love cruise in April Im in my late 30's. Oh Princess and Costa do singles cruises also. Check their websites for details. The beauty of a singles cruise is you will have so many people to hang out with our group bonded quick and I ran into everyone all over the ship, this or try a cruisemates group cruise maybe?
Old August 14th, 2005, 09:40 AM
Passenger

Showcat, what is your "take" on the CFL one you did in April? I have one scheduled next Sunday with them. The message board sure has a different "flavor" to it than the singlescruise.com ones on Carnival. Hey I am an older guy 56, so input on the age thing on the various things is important. Some people who are 50 act like my mother when she was in her 80s so in spite of the chiche "age is just a number" it can be important for the ambience of a cruise. I like to tell people in the 30s.........."hey I FEEL like I am 35, but then I didn't feel so good then, but I DO look a little worse than I did then"
Old August 15th, 2005, 01:25 AM
Admiral

Well John, Im sure each cruise is a bit different due to different people booking. We had a small group about 40 people I guess. Ages from 20's and up. I think like minded people just sort of attract other like minded people. I became fast friends with a gal from Canada, one of the guys took my shore excursion cause I posted it on the pre cruise chat line. Over all Ann could update her site and chat features with the help of a good computer programer. The chat line didn't get the traffic I hoped for and it would help to be able to post a photo so you can know who your talking to.

The group was a very nice bunch, you can have 20 year olds who are stick in the muds, so I agree that age really is not as important as getting to know who people are and taking the time to talk to them a bit before we all prejudge. Nice thing is you can switch dinner tables each night and this gives you a chance to mingle. I really didn't do the activities because they were during the day when Im out working on my tan at the pool. If they did the activities on lido deck I would have done them. I quickly adopted the Aft pool in the rear of the ship. This is the Adults only pool,no band but no kids eather. I would tell the others in the group this is where to find me so this became a good place to meet up each day and decide our activities for later. Also you can exchange cabins numbers and call each other.

Ann say's her groups are growing, she has over a hundred people for an upcoming cruise. I haven't tried other companies yet to compare and contrast but I would like to do so. Over all on a cruise you do what you choose to do, hang out with the others or do your own thing. It can be a wild party or a low key relaxing vacation it's up to you. Mine was a bit of both I guess. I think there is no excuse not to have fun cause you have so many choices on what to do and where to go.
Old August 15th, 2005, 08:08 AM
Passenger

Showcat, yes try out some of the other companies too. This CFL one I am going on is to Alaska, so I expected it to be a bit less raucus baccas than the Caribean ones.......as are by reputation the ones out of NYC to Canada. The Carribean ones with Carlson singles cruise did have a lot of activities on the lido deck. The Carlson ones have had many more singles which not to sound completely crass make for a more extensive menu. This CFL to alaska does appear to be older in attitude as well as age but will find out next week. Last Halloween the Carlson one had 600 single people on it! An entire double deck dining room seating with only the singles group! I think they are trying to keep the numbers down to 300........It reminded me of distant years ago, walking into a new high school. It was like one third of the total passengers were in the Group, and not a very "well behaved" group at that.

Yes CFL as far as the message board situation...oh nevermind....because it is certainly more inhibited etc than the Carlson ones. Usually I have about 15 new friends by the time of the cruise just from the message baord..........not ON this cruise lol.

I also on future cruises am going to further explore this "working on my tan" phenomena vicariously via conversation (kind of doubt that is going to be an issue on this alaska cruise). A lot of us born and raised SW people avoid the sun like the plague. While what we call "snowbirds" from the North seem to really glorify in being in the sun. By fifty us southwesterners (especially us of the pre sun screen generation)look like examples of John Waynes old saddlebags just from incidental exposure. STOP DOING THAT TO YOURSELF Show Cat...hahaha.........John from NM

Old August 15th, 2005, 05:18 PM
KT

Jason,

Actually I'm thinking of doing a Haloween cruise too but I'm a 45/m and you'd probably rather find someone younger. Try posting again and instead of asking if a 26 y/o would have fun, post something like "26 y/o m looking for cruise companion" and maybe you'll get more responses. Also, the singles cruises will pair you with a roommate.

Good luck