Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 14th, 2005, 10:33 AM
Passenger

Default solo cruising

I know this will be a strange question to ask but how would you handle telling your Mom about travelling solo. I what to do it in March and was thinking of just telling her I'm going with a friend to Florida instead. She's 81 and I don't to hear why are you going alone. Or you're going alone.....
Sponsored Links
Old November 14th, 2005, 07:47 PM
Admiral

Maryann,

I know this will be a strange question to ask but how would you handle telling your Mom about travelling solo. I what to do it in March and was thinking of just telling her I'm going with a friend to Florida instead. She's 81 and I don't to hear why are you going alone. Or you're going alone.....

When people ask if I'm going on a cruise alone, I often reply in the negative, adding that I'm going with a group of about 2,000 other people (or whatever happens to be the capacity of the ship), whom I have not yet met....

Seriously, it's best to tell your mother the truth. She probably will find out sooner or later anyway, and the damage caused by a lie is nearly impossible to repair. If your mother is concerned, explain to her that the ship has extremely tight security so it's a very safe place for a solo traveller and that you plan to take group excursions in each port of call so you won't be going ashore alone.

Norm.
Old November 16th, 2005, 09:10 PM
Yeoman

In my opinion, a cruise is the safest possible vacation for anyone, especially a woman, traveling alone.
Old November 28th, 2005, 03:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

I told my Mom I was going with 4 other people from work (people she doesn't know and can't verify)....a bit of a white lie, but I don't want to go through all that "Mom Drama". Sons or daughters...mothers still worry regardless of what you tell them.
Old December 1st, 2005, 08:47 PM
Passenger

Default Going Solo

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattleguy37
I told my Mom I was going with 4 other people from work (people she doesn't know and can't verify)....a bit of a white lie, but I don't want to go through all that "Mom Drama". Sons or daughters...mothers still worry regardless of what you tell them.
Thanks seattleguy37, I think I'll take your advice. I like what you call it a "Mom Drama". No matter what age we are they will always be Mom to us. You just don't want to hear, "why can't your friends go with you, etc."
They don't understand that everybody else has their own schedule and can't get away when you can. So that's why I go alone.

Happy cruising....
Old December 1st, 2005, 09:20 PM
Beginner

This thread made me chuckle. I was in the same predicament a few years ago. Mom is VERY protective, and to ease the hassle of telling her I was going on a cruise by myself, I told a little white lie (sorry Norm (and hi Norm)) and said that my travel agent was going as well with her husband. I held onto that until after final payment was made and then I told another little white lie (sorry again Norm) and said they had cancelled and I was going it alone. Well she was worried, but knew it was too late to talk me into changing my plans, so there wasn't much discussion about it.

It turned out to be the absolutely best cruise I have ever had! Would I do it again? YES, probably (would depend on the itinerary).
Old December 2nd, 2005, 09:31 AM
Passenger

Default White Lies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela L.
This thread made me chuckle. I was in the same predicament a few years ago. Mom is VERY protective, and to ease the hassle of telling her I was going on a cruise by myself, I told a little white lie (sorry Norm (and hi Norm)) and said that my travel agent was going as well with her husband. I held onto that until after final payment was made and then I told another little white lie (sorry again Norm) and said they had cancelled and I was going it alone. Well she was worried, but knew it was too late to talk me into changing my plans, so there wasn't much discussion about it.

It turned out to be the absolutely best cruise I have ever had! Would I do it again? YES, probably (would depend on the itinerary).
I'm glad I asked this question on the board. I felt funny talking about this subject but I'm glad I did. I'm ready to cruise solo next year and planning on telling Mom that I'm going with some friends. Even though I feel bad about it, it's better than having her worry or trying to talk me out of it. Take care Mary Ann
Old December 4th, 2005, 01:54 PM
First Mate

Maryanne1 - have you traveled on cruse with your mom before and you are afraid of letting her know that you want to go solo this time? I had similar situation several years back - I had to just say I was taking a solo and she understood saying she thought I could get around better.

I think you should be honest and tell her and if she has concerns about your safety - just tell her that you'll be with a lot of other people that you'll meet on the ship and through the website. I have solo'd 3 times already and encountered no problems doing so.

Mary
Old December 5th, 2005, 03:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

OH please Mary!!!!!!!

Mary is a trouble maker.... If her mother ever saw her on a cruise...... Ah just come out with it and she will get over it.

Hey I cruise single all the time....... /bonk oh wait I have only cruised once.... oh adn I was with Bren...... Oh hey but Mary was there and alone..... until she met up with all of us......... She wasn't alone anymore tho....

Carnival Valor Western Carribean 04/30/2006
Old December 5th, 2005, 11:03 PM
First Mate

Hey John - Her mother has seen her on 3 cruises and knows the lady is wild

And, she's going to travel with these folks again on April 30th - to the cruise!!!!

Mary