Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 4th, 2005, 01:23 PM
Beginner

Default to all singles "Singles Meet" on ship

Hi to all the single cruisers.
If you are alone in a cabing or sharing the cabin with another single friend, then the "Singles Meet" activity on the ship is for you.
I have checked them out on all my cruises in the last year, I have done 5 of them, these singles meet are usually not well attended.
We had a good one on the Baltic cruise, only 4 of us showed up and the crew staff that organized it had lots of prized and so we each did very well. We had a great time for about 1 hour and this was the first time I actually met some singles at this type of forum.
I wonder why people do not come out to these meets when there seems to be such a large number of singles cruising .... as well as posting interest in meeting other singles on the ship. Has anyone else had similar experiences on cruises?
Hannelore
Sponsored Links
Old December 5th, 2005, 05:43 PM
Admiral

Hannelore,

I wonder why people do not come out to these meets when there seems to be such a large number of singles cruising .... as well as posting interest in meeting other singles on the ship. Has anyone else had similar experiences on cruises?

I always make an effort to attend, but I find that two things sometimes interfere.

>> 1. Occasionally, I either forget or lose track of the time.

>> 2. Occasionally, I have gone to the designated lounge and not found anybody who was identifyably from the cruise staff.

>> 3. Sometimes I have encoutnered schedule conflicts.

With regard to the latter, some cruies lines have a penchant for scheduling a singles gathering at 10:00 or 10:30 PM on the first night of the cruise. If it's at 10:00, those of us who have second seating usually are still at dinner, awaiting dessert. The rudeness of leaving the table before the end of the meal certainly would not make a favorable impression upon our tablemates, with whom we expect to dine for the rest of the cruise.

Norm.
Old December 8th, 2005, 02:33 PM
Yeoman

Sometimes people don't show for the get-acquainted singles party because it is held the first night and they are tired. If you ask the cruise director he/she will usually oblige and set up a second gathering. You can offer to help. That's always fun.

Otherwise, I have found singles tend to congregate around the piano bar before second seating dinner--if there is a piano bar; otherwise, try the pool bar late in the day.
Old December 9th, 2005, 04:48 PM
Passenger

Hi there,

Could you tell me if these "Single Meets" are on all cruiselines. I am taking the Royal Carribean Empress of the Seas on Jan. 30. Would there be a Single Meets on that ship? Thanks

Rene
Old December 9th, 2005, 07:54 PM
Admiral

Rene,

Could you tell me if these "Single Meets" are on all cruiselines. I am taking the Royal Carribean Empress of the Seas on Jan. 30. Would there be a Single Meets on that ship? Thanks

They are pretty much standard practice on most of hte major cruise lines. I have never cruised with Royal Caribbean, but I expect that Royal Caribbean would hold such events.

Norm.
Old December 10th, 2005, 06:35 PM
Beginner

HELLO FELLOW SINGLE CRUISERS...........
I HAVE BEEN ON AFEW OF CARNIVAL'S SHIPS.......
AND THEY REALLY NEED TO WORK ON THEIR SINGLE'S
OR EVEN THOSE THAT ARE TRAVLING SOLO MEETINGS......
MOST OF THE TIME IT'S IN THE DISCO..............
OKAY,IF THERE IS MUISC BLASTING HOW CAN YOU TALK?????
SOMETIMES IT'S IN THE PIANO BAR...
AND THEY REALLY DON'T MAKE A BIG DEAL ABOUT IT........
I THINK THAT THEY SHOULD WELCOME THE SINGLES AND THOSE
THAT ARE TRAVELING SOLO................
I AM GOING ON THE CELEBRATION NEXT SAT-12/17---22
AND 12/22--26........
DOING A BACK TO BACK.............
SO IT WOULD BE NICE TO HANG OUT WITH OTHER SINGLES.......
HAPPY CRUISING TO ALL..............
BARBARA
Old February 4th, 2006, 09:13 AM
Passenger

I have been to several of these "singles meet" things on Carnival. As was mentioned often in the Disco and if talk is your "game" forget about it. It appeared to me that "singles" meant "not yet married". Nevertheless, you paid your money so why not see what its like on your particular cruise. John NM
Old February 4th, 2006, 11:51 AM
Yeoman

If you are not happy with the first singles get-acquainted party, talk to the Cruise Director and tell him/her of your feelings and ask if he/she can arrange to have another asap. Offer to help organize. And on a recent Costa Mediterranea I was impressed with a singles gathering scheduled several times throughout the week.

I agree cruise ships tend to schedule singles gatherings in noisy places. Point that out to the Cruise Director and, of course, make note on your comment card.

I think the worst thing a cruise line can do is schedule a get-acquainted party on the first night. People are tired. They may not have received their luggage and don't want to attend wearing clothes they've had on since dawn. And they might also not be through with second seating dinner. Seems to me the second day would be better, and why does it always have to be at night? Why not during the afternoon when lounges tend to be empty?
Old February 6th, 2006, 12:12 AM
Admiral

Hi Pat, I was on the Costa cruise with you but didn't get to meet you. I did attend Costa's singles party, I belive it was the 2nd night and it was well attended by those who were with Vacations to Go and some who were not so we got to know a couple of guys not in our group.

Was there more then one singles activity that were offered by Costa? The one I attended was in one of the lounges but not in the disco. I read the Costa paper each night but don't recall seeing any other activitys labeled singles.
Old February 6th, 2006, 07:17 AM
First Mate

I have talked with some single male either in person or on message boards who do cruise but not with at group. What some told me that when the cruise throws a single party some walk in, look around and walk right out.

I assume they were looking for hot chicks didn't find any and walked right out.
Old February 6th, 2006, 09:30 PM
Yeoman

There was a group of singles who gathered every evening at the Apollo Bar on deck 9 Armonia, but it closed around 8:30 I think. The Giardino Isolabella Bar on deck 1 Circle was open till nearly 2 AM. I think singles tend to gather at bars before dinner, then make their plans for the rest of the night.
Old February 6th, 2006, 09:33 PM
Yeoman

Bettlegator, I don't think that is why guys walk in and abruptly walk out of a singles party. I have arrived at several about a half hour after they began and by then the crowd was so huge I left. It's always best to get there early, or at least on time, before people start bonding and making their own groups.