Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 15th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Beginner

Default Single Cruising Questions - Responses Please :)

Quick background: I am an experienced cruiser, 10 ships, but have always traveled with significant other. I am late 30's male and now looking to potentially take a cruise myself but hopefully meet single people.

1) Is the ship (such as a Royal Carribean or Carnival) the most important aspect to single cruising. If so what's best for single person in their 30's.

2) Is there really a big benefit to booking via a "Single Cruise" Agency or is there likely to be as many singles on the above ships?

3) Will I really meet people? Being at sea, which I love, is something that I fear I could end up being lonely for 7 days.... I want to do my homework to avoid that.

4) Any suggestions helpful.

About me, I am a very successful executive, late 30's, attractive and fit, and haven't taken a vacation since last major relationship. (Hope that's not too much info)
Sponsored Links
Old January 15th, 2006, 04:21 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to wildjen68

The best cruiseline for singles is carnival.I would go on a singles cruise it's your best way to meet people.I travel with singlescruise.com I've done 6 cruises with them and have one in april.(check out the april 1st cruise or the 20's-30's cruise)I met my fianc'e last year so can happen you never know.If you have any more questions you can e-mail me at shyjen1968@yahoo.com
Jen/ct
Old January 15th, 2006, 04:58 PM
Beginner

Default Carnival

Jen, thanks for responding. I really do appreciate it more than you know. I hope you'll indulge a few more questions. I put them here rather than email you.

Prior even to your response, my gut said Carnival (even though I really loved Royal Carribeans new ships)

Have all of your solo cruises been through singlescruise.com, and have you done them with or without friends of your own?

Also, what do you think about going it solo on Carnival without going on during an "organized" singles week?

If so, does Singlescruise.com, book those too, if an organized week is a difficult one for me to fit into my schedule.

Also, I personally much prefer 7 night crusies, but what have you found to be the best for singles, or does it matter?

Thanks Again (REALLY!!)
Roger
Old January 16th, 2006, 11:48 AM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to wildjen68

I started cruising solo without a group in 2000.I found it's alot harder to meet other singles doing so.My first cruise was great because there was alot of singles that week.I went on four more cruises before I went with singlescruise.com.Those cruise there wasn't many singles on those cruises.I started going on singles cruises in 2003 and had a much better time then before.there were alot of singles to have fun with.Singlescruise has there own activities and excursions for just the group.If you didn't book with singlescruise.com then you can't partisipate in any of there activities. In the dining room we have or own section for just our group after the first night you can sit where you and who want each night so alot of people that way.Ifyou go without a group they try to sit you with other singles but you have to sit at the same table night after night what fun is that. I think your best thing is to go with a singles group then just by yourself.You'll have alot more fun. You should go check out singlescruise.com web page to see what cruises interest you.
Jen/ct
Old January 16th, 2006, 07:28 PM
Admiral

Roger,

Quick background: I am an experienced cruiser, 10 ships, but have always traveled with significant other. I am late 30's male and now looking to potentially take a cruise myself but hopefully meet single people.

First, do you want to meet as many single peopleas possible or do you want to meet single people with whom you are compatible?

(Answer that to yourself before you read any further.)

1) Is the ship (such as a Royal Carribean or Carnival) the most important aspect to single cruising. If so what's best for single person in their 30's.

If you want to meet as many single people as possible, the advice to go with either Carnival or Royal Caribbean International is sound. If you want to meet single people with whom you are compatible, though, choose a cruise line that matches your interests and lifestyle. There may be fewer single people aboard that ship, but you'll have much better odds of a finding a good match. The same is true of itineraries.

2) Is there really a big benefit to booking via a "Single Cruise" Agency or is there likely to be as many singles on the above ships?

If you want to meet as many single people as possible, yes, because such agencies have minimums for booking -- thus guaranteeing that at least the minimum number of singles will be aboard the cruise. If you want to meet singles with whom you are compatible, though, it probably would not be the right answer unless you naturally gravitate toward the "singles" scene -- which I doubt by virtue of the questions that you are asking....

3) Will I really meet people? Being at sea, which I love, is something that I fear I could end up being lonely for 7 days.... I want to do my homework to avoid that.

It's very easy to meet people on a cruise if you want to meet people. Here's how.

>> 1. Choose a large table, with a tradiational fixed seating if the cruise line offers a choice or that or open seating, for dinner in the main dining room. You'll have a stable cadre of tablemates with whom to compare notes at the end of each day for the entire cruise. Tablemates often become good friends and correspond thereafter.

>> 2. While aboard ship, participate in the activities and events that are most of interest to you. That's where you are most apt to meet other passengers -- including singles -- who share your interests. (BTW, don't get discouraged if the singles gatherings on the first few days of the cruise are poorly attended. They sometimes occur at times when many singles have other commitments.)

>> 3. In port, take shore excursions that match your interests. Again, that's where you ar emost likely to meet other single passengers who share your interests.

>> 4. Around the ship, don't hesitate to strike up conversations with other passengers. It's very easy. A simple "Are you enjoying the cruise?" followed by "This isn't your first, is it?" and "What are your impressions so far?" (for a first-timer) or "Where else have you gone, and on which ships?" (for a repeater) will get a conversation started. Most folks love to voice their opinions and to share their stories, if given a chance!

Above all, be inclusive. Many single travellers will feel much more comfortable if you include their cabinmate (often a sibling or a close friend) in your convrsation, at least initially. Besides, the cabin mate that you meet second actually might be a better match!

4) Any suggestions helpful.

The best advice is to keep your expectations in check. Don't set yourself up for disappointment.

About me, I am a very successful executive, late 30's, attractive and fit, and haven't taken a vacation since last major relationship. (Hope that's not too much info)

Not at all. It sounds like you are a pretty eligible guy!

For the record, I'm SWCPM, 48, a veteran of 19 cruises beginning in 1998 with two more booked for this year. I have met some very intersting unattached ladies on cruise ships -- and not on the lines that are noted for the singles scene!

Have a great cruise, whichever line and itinerary you decide!

Norm.
Old January 16th, 2006, 11:07 PM
Beginner

Default Thanks Norm

I appreciate your attention to my questions. Based on your responses, I think it's worth trying to do a "singles week" via one of those agencies, but either way it's worth doing another cruise, so long as I keep my expectations in check .

I've got to say, that while my endorsement may not mean alot, I am a very active traveler, business and pleasure, and I think that for cruises, Cruisemates, is the best single source I have ever found. I used this site to steer me to my last two cruises, both of which happened to be on Royal Carribean, and both were outstanding, for what I was looking for at the time. The message boards and feedback from the professionals and especially the readers has been very useful.

Thanks!
Old January 17th, 2006, 12:32 PM
Yeoman

If you have never cruised before as a solo traveler then I would suggest an organized singles cruise. You will have the benefit of being with the group or going out on your own if you prefer. While the group dines together in the same area every night, most ships now have alternate dining, so if you find you don't want to be with the same people you have other options.

Used to be I could go alone on a cruise and count on meeting a dozen or more singles on any given ship, any time of the year. Now, however, due to cruise lines discounting so heavily to large groups I see more and more families cruising for reunions, anniversaries, etc. Also, because of the expensive singles supplement, it is costly to go alone. But you will also pay more if you opt for a single occupancy cabin if you book a singles cruise.

Look at the newly posted Cruisemates Singles Cruise Calendar, and if you see a cruise listed that appeals to you, call the agency and ask them about how many are booked and the ages. Most will accommodate with the information you are seeking, as they want their cruisers to enjoy themselves.

Crystal Cruises, by the way, is great for singles. They have dance hosts and a very low single supplement.
Old January 17th, 2006, 07:52 PM
Familiar Face

Roger, as some of the other people may have said, Carnival and RC are probably the best lines for singles. But more importantly it is not the cruise line but the group you're going with. Going alone on ANY line can be suicide if there is no singles group to hang with. I'm going on a Costa cruise in Feb. with Club Getaway (a singles group based in Ct.) I know there are going to be 250-300 other singles along with myself. And Windjammer has 4 sailings a year where everyone on the ship is single. So find a (singles) group to cruise with. Ship doesn't matter.
Old January 19th, 2006, 07:42 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by philnyy
Roger, as some of the other people may have said, Carnival and RC are probably the best lines for singles. But more importantly it is not the cruise line but the group you're going with. Going alone on ANY line can be suicide if there is no singles group to hang with. I'm going on a Costa cruise in Feb. with Club Getaway (a singles group based in Ct.) I know there are going to be 250-300 other singles along with myself. And Windjammer has 4 sailings a year where everyone on the ship is single. So find a (singles) group to cruise with. Ship doesn't matter.

Also you have to be a very outgoing person otherwise you can be on a ship full of single people and still be alone. So it always good to go for the cruise itself and then meet people.
Old January 19th, 2006, 03:16 PM
Yeoman

I agree that unless you are outgoing and willing to put forth an effort to meet people and involve yourself in shipboard activities then it does not matter how many singles are onboard. I am going to be posting an article soon on how to break the ice and start conversations with a stranger. I think it will be a help to many people.
Old January 20th, 2006, 05:27 PM
Beginner

Go with a group that supports PLANNED activities, I do this with Club Getaway as it more than match making, it friend making, fun making and an amzing experience.. Have a look at their website and make sure you go
Old January 23rd, 2006, 07:54 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Hagan Singles Editor
I agree that unless you are outgoing and willing to put forth an effort to meet people and involve yourself in shipboard activities then it does not matter how many singles are onboard. I am going to be posting an article soon on how to break the ice and start conversations with a stranger. I think it will be a help to many people.
I will add this Pat, and this will sound cold and heartless, if you are going on a single cruise to look for Brad Pitt, Denzel Washington, Hallie Barrie or Jennifer Aniston you will be very disappointed. From cruising myself and from photos I have seen on websites everyone look average so don't keep your expectations high just enjoy the cruise and if you meet someone you like it's the luck of the draw.
Old January 23rd, 2006, 05:09 PM
Yeoman

In my opinion, anyone going on a cruise with the explicit purpose of meeting someone and falling in love is in for a huge disappointment. It rarely, rarely happens. After all, there's the problem afterwards of two people living in different places. Which one is willing to change jobs and make a major move? Just go with your mind set to have fun and make new friends, and, if Cupid does strike, things have a way of falling in place.
Old January 29th, 2006, 06:44 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to Tradewind62 Send a message via MSN to Tradewind62 Send a message via Yahoo to Tradewind62

First of all, as all the other responses Carnival is your best bet. Royal Carribean is a great cruise line however I found out that if you are not with a signifient other, after dinner its pretty boring if you are all alone.

Second I booked a cruise through singlecruises.com, best thing I ever did, prior to your cruise you get to chat with others that are going on the same cruise so by the time you board your ship you know other people.

They have some great cruises for 2006 check out the site. Good luck
Old January 30th, 2006, 01:27 PM
Beginner

I have been on 16 cruises in the last 7 years on Carnival and Royal Carribbean. I think Carnival is more fun for singles. Royal is more geared for the couples. I have been on only one singles cruise. Most of the girls were heavy set and most of the guys were decent and looking to "bed" someone the whole week. I think quite a few of them were successful too. Anyway, I don't think I will ever go on a "singles cruise" again except where we all get a bunch of singles that we know to go which we are doing Apr. 23 on Conquest out of Galveston if you are interested. I've always met people on the cruises but not always single people. I've always been with family or friends. I don't know if I would ever go by myself but the idea is entertaining. JS
Old January 31st, 2006, 06:36 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasjrs59
I have been on 16 cruises in the last 7 years on Carnival and Royal Carribbean. I think Carnival is more fun for singles. Royal is more geared for the couples. I have been on only one singles cruise. Most of the girls were heavy set and most of the guys were decent and looking to "bed" someone the whole week. I think quite a few of them were successful too. Anyway, I don't think I will ever go on a "singles cruise" again except where we all get a bunch of singles that we know to go which we are doing Apr. 23 on Conquest out of Galveston if you are interested. I've always met people on the cruises but not always single people. I've always been with family or friends. I don't know if I would ever go by myself but the idea is entertaining. JS
Jasfrs59,

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, yes, most of the women who cruise are overweight, but so are some of the guys. If you are looking for "model material" on any cruise it will be hard to find. That is why when to take a cruise you have to it for the experience of the cruise otherwise you will be very dissappointed if you are an athletic and fit person looking for the same. Still, you can meet amazing people of all body types.

Are you male or female?
Old February 1st, 2006, 10:02 PM
Yeoman

I disagree with the comments that most women on singles cruises are overweight and guys are looking to bed someone for a week. I probably go on more singles cruises than most people, and what I find--overall-- are nice, average men and women wanting to make friends and have a great vacation. I love single cruising, especially organized singles cruises, and from the ever-growing list on Cruisemates singles calendar it is obvious that lots of people share my opinion. It's the best vacation for solo travelers.
Old February 3rd, 2006, 04:57 AM
Admiral

Roger,
Give it a shot. I've been on 2 singles cruises with 2 different companies and 2 different lines. My first cruise was with Crusing for Love a small group which bonded quickly about 40 people I got to know most of them, but romance possiblitys were limited. Second cruise with Vacations to Go bigger group 150 of us, more selection in types of people but group was so big there were many people I didn't meet at all. I have not tried Singles Cruise.com yet or Club Getaway but I will consider them for future trips, it depends on price and ports, as well as size of groups.

I have been on Carnival and Costa. Both lines were excellent for singles though the majority on any cruise ship is familys and couples. Costa was more European. (see my review on this site under Costa Mediterrena) The staff was more reserved but they did have many activities and excellent line dance classes. If you like European women you might find one on these ships. We had 2 ladies from Russia in our group. On Carnival the staff is more interactive with the customers.

Time of year can play a factor less kids during school season could be tons during the summer, spring breaks, or Christmas vacations. This can be annoying with little ones in the hot tubs and in the pools. That's why I like the Adults only pool, less going on (band and activity wise) but no kids.

As for romance I think people need to shoot in their league so to speak and watch body language for clues. Some guys follow a girl around and make them uncomfortable. A guy with a bald head, back hair and pot belly, should not be going after the girl with the mini skirt, and high heels who just happens to look like Pam Anderson.

Having said this however some of the better looking people in our group did not hook up, some of the average Joes and Janes did. I can report that at least one couple is still together and happy the others are at least still in touch. I think women may expect the Love Boat and men Girls Wild the truth is more mundane. Lots of nice people from all walks of life who happen to be single or don't have a friend to travel with.
Old February 3rd, 2006, 07:33 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by showcat
Roger,
. . . As for romance I think people need to shoot in their league so to speak and watch body language for clues. Some guys follow a girl around and make them uncomfortable. A guy with a bald head, back hair and pot belly, should not be going after the girl with the mini skirt, and high heels who just happens to look like Pam Anderson.

Having said this however some of the better looking people in our group did not hook up, some of the average Joes and Janes did. I can report that at least one couple is still together and happy the others are at least still in touch. I think women may expect the Love Boat and men Girls Wild the truth is more mundane. Lots of nice people from all walks of life who happen to be single or don't have a friend to travel with.
I couldn't agree with you more with the above statement, Showcat.

Though, I keep in shape everyday I wouldn't go after a Pam Anderson class of woman unless she gives me some indication she's interested. On the otherside I will let a women who is not my type know that I am not interested in her and not lead her on.
Old February 3rd, 2006, 03:12 PM
Passenger

I love to travel and to be at sea, and have cruised only a couple of times, both times alone. After the end of a relationship I decided that I would quit waiting to have someone to travel with and just go. I opted to go on my own rather than a singles group because I wanted a New Year's cruise leaving right after Christmas and there were no singles groups at the time I wanted to sail. I am an extrovert, and I don't have trouble meeting people. If you want to meet people to go on excursions with or hang out with, then there is never a problem on a cruise ship. If you are set on meeting single people and only want to spend time looking to hook up, then you are limiting your options. I met both single and attached people, men and women, who I ended up going on excursions with or shopping with or having drinks and conversation or playing at the casino or whatever. On the first cruise I found that dinner was one of the highlights because I was sitting with a good group and, while we didn't hang out much during the day, we did enjoy the conversation and company at dinner. On the second cruise, I had a little more difficulty with compatability with the group at my assigned table, but I ended up moving to a different table and it was ok. I hesitate to try a cruise with no assigned seating for dinner like NCL's free style dining. I wonder how that would work for singles - anyone have any experience with that?

I agree that Carnival is probably the best line for singles. The crowd on the ship is generally younger and more active, I think. Having said that, it wasn't Carnival where I happened to find some romance at sea. While romance at sea is great, that is not the main reason I cruise, so I have fun regardless. I guess that relates to the "expectations" thing that was discussed in some of the posts here. I also think that when you travel alone, you have to be prepared to do things alone, and if you find company then terrific. I don't mind walking in port by myself, as long as I feel comfortable that it's reasonably safe. I think going on organized excursions is a great way to meet people and it gives solo travelers a great option. I found that I went on an excursion and then often followed it with a walk around town and shopping, sometimes by myself and sometimes with a friend from the ship. Often in the port town there are so many other people from the cruise ships in port that it is pretty safe because you aren't isolated even though you are walking/shopping alone.

On my first trip I was worried about paying the single supplement and did find a cabin share on this site. It was ok - read tolerable - but not great. On my second trip, I opted to just pay the supplement and have the cabin to myself. I will definitely always do that from now on. I will only go with a cabin mate if it is a significant other or someone I know before the trip. I can't recommend the sharing with a stranger thing - it adds an element to the trip I can't quite describe but I'm sure I don't need. I was way more relaxed and had a better vacation on my trip with no cabin mate.

I will finish with saying that I think cruising is great for singles, whether they are traveling with friends or solo. I have traveled solo and found other singles traveling solo, other singles traveling with friends, and couples or families that were great people to meet and spend time with. I've actually decided that I'm now brave enough traveling alone that I'm planning a month in Italy in 2007, and right now I'm planning to go alone. If I meet someone between now and then that wants to join me, great, but I'm not waiting.

Happy sailing. See you around the seven seas.
Tammie

New Year's 2007 MSC Lirica
New Year's 2006 MSC Lirica
New Year's 2005 Carnival Spirit
Old February 6th, 2006, 09:45 PM
Yeoman

showcat wrote:
Roger,
. . . A guy with a bald head, back hair and pot belly, should not be going after the girl with the mini skirt, and high heels who just happens to look like Pam Anderson.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Now whoever said a bald-headed guy with a pot belly can't "go after" an attractive girl? Beauty is only skin-deep, remember? She just might find that pot-bellied, bald-headed guy much more fun than a guy with six-pack abs and a full head of hair. The same might be true about a Plain Jane going after a "hot" guy, because he might find her more appealing than Pam Anderson. Lighten up and have fun, and if you see someone you like and want to get to know, go for it. If they turn you down, so what? At least you tried.
Old February 7th, 2006, 10:13 PM
Admiral

Tammie,

I hesitate to try a cruise with no assigned seating for dinner like NCL's free style dining. I wonder how that would work for singles - anyone have any experience with that?

Yes. My first thirteen cruises were with Princess, and I found the "Anytime Dining" arrangement to be the pits. Like you, I have no trouble meeting people and in fact got invites to join several groups for dinner, but it lacked the stability and opportunity to form real friendships of having the same tablemates thoughout the entire cruise.

I also found that service unavoidably suffers with the open dining arrangement. When you have an assigned table, your waiter and assistant waiter get to know your preferences on the first couple evenings and thereafter anticipate your requests. When you don't have the same waiter and assistant every evening, this becomes impossible.

BTW, I stopped cruising with Princess and started cruising with Delebrity about 2 1/2 years ago. Celebrity has retained the traditional arrangement of two seatings with assigned tables for dinner.

Happy cruising!

Norm.
Old February 7th, 2006, 11:40 PM
Yeoman

I also am an advocate of assigned seating for dinner; otherwise, those sailing solo (not on an organized singles cruise) often find themselves being seated with married couples, families, etc., instead of other singles. This is something else that should be noted on comment cards at the end of a cruise.
Old March 1st, 2006, 03:41 PM
Passenger

I need to get a job or a life or something but some of this commentary about overwieght women (and for some reason men too hahha) has been brought up on singles cruises. If you look at national statistics it doesn't have a whole heck of a lot to do with singles cruising. In fact if you frequent any buffet on these things it is like an all you can eat buffet in Las Vegas. After my skinny wife left me some ten years ago for a fat bald guy I have kind of changed my perspective. Hey until there is major cultural change us skinny people will be in a minority so what I say is enjoy the buffet or otherwise somebody is going to ask if you have AIDs or tell ya the reason you are so cold with the meat locker AC on these ships is cuz you don't "have enough meat on your bones". (sorry Pat sometimes I just can't help commenting on some of these "threads")
Old March 14th, 2006, 10:58 PM
Yeoman

John, your comments/opinions are always welcome. That is the purpose of the message boards.
Old March 15th, 2006, 07:15 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Gemoets
I need to get a job or a life or something but some of this commentary about overwieght women (and for some reason men too hahha) has been brought up on singles cruises. If you look at national statistics it doesn't have a whole heck of a lot to do with singles cruising. . .
This is not a knock on overweight people because like everyone else they have the right cruise like everyone else. But in MY past cruise which was my first, I notice that the people who were overweight were ignored by people of both sexes. Of course they participated in the "Speed Dating" and other group activities and excursions but when the dust settles if you are in competition for fit and thin there might be a problem.

When overweight people go on single cruises they do it for the same reasons as thin people to mingle. But the sad reality is their choices are limited to other overweight people or being solo during the cruise. I am guilty of this also and have met many overweight people with great personalities and fun to be around. Unfortunately, the attraction is not there as I want to meet a woman on a single cruise who wants to keep herself in shape, sorry my preferance. One of the reasons I say this is I use to be in the fitness professional and chose that career briefly so I will not be overweight and to help other people to enjoy a healthy lifestyle.

Rebuttles welcome, .