Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 23rd, 2006, 04:59 PM
Beginner

Default Any experiences with single share matching programs?

I am looking into the SinglesCruise.com sailing out of Vancouver, BC to Alaska. I'm a 40 year old female, and this would be my first cruise (although I have traveled alone in the past). I am pretty low key, and am looking at this cruise to avoid the single supplement. I am NOT a party animal, or on the hunt for love, and might find a roomie that resembles either a bit annoying. Does anyone have experiences to share about being placed with a roomie you completely do not know? I'd love to hear!
Sponsored Links
Old January 23rd, 2006, 05:05 PM
Yeoman

I always tell people that sharing a cabin with a stranger is a crap shoot. Sometimes it works; sometimes it doesn't. I have seen people make lifelong friends and travel together afterwards, and I have seen others so miserable they wanted to sleep in deck chairs to keep from being in the cabin. My advice is that if you can afford your own cabin, by all means, pay the single supplement; otherwise, you risk a miserable cruise.
Old January 23rd, 2006, 05:11 PM
Beginner

Default Single Share versus other options - opinions please!!!

Okay, let me add a bit more about the options that I'm considering:

Being matched with a roomie so I can get a balcony to enjoy the beautiful Alaska scenery...

Finding a roomie here that I can actually talk to before leaving!

Going it alone in either an oceanview or an inside (shudder) cabin

I'd love opinions!!!!!!
Old January 23rd, 2006, 06:46 PM
Yeoman

I hope others will share their opinions/experiences regarding rooming with strangers. And, of course, it's a big plus if you can communicate with each other before the cruise.
Old January 27th, 2006, 05:49 AM
Admiral

I went on a singles cruise in October and got a great cabin mate. It was sheer luck. I also met my 2nd cabin mate on that cruise and she asked me to cruise with her so I did. The key is communication and compromise. Im not a neat nick, and my clothes end up in a pile sometimes she didn't complain. Im also a night owl, but I am trustworthy and not a drunk.

Some people go for romance, and to hook up others do not, I did expect to but found romance on my first cruise, but not on the second. No big deal it's not the reason I travel and Im very picky. Some guys will pursue you if your not interested be polite but distant they usually get the message and move on to someone who might be interested in return.

I've seen some horror stories one lady roomed with a drunk she told her off but the drunk gal didn't even remember so I suggested she speak to her in the morning when she was sober. They seemed to make up later as I saw them having fun together on the ship.

As far as the agencys are concerened all they do to match people is look for smoking preferences or non smoking. They don't care about all the rest. THey might not even tell you who your cabin mate is but you can post on the precruise message/chat board and maybe find out. I have made many friends and future travel partners. Like minds attract and there are groups within the groups. I keep in touch with many I've met and Im planning new trips. E mail me any questions I will try to help.
Old January 27th, 2006, 07:26 AM
First Mate

I have to agree with Showcat, communication is the key in finding out if you match with your potential cabin mate.

As for myself I prefer to pay the extra money to go solo in a room this is MY VACATION and will like to treat it as such.

With my first cruise under my belt I feel that I know what I want out of a cruise and use that as a basis for any future ones. I wasn't looking for romance in my first cruise though the women outnumber the men on the cruise I only found 5 that I was interested and they were being fought over by the men on the group. I must give a note to single guys do some research with all the companies that do single cruises and ask alot of questions, if you are looking for the Swedish Bikini Swim Team you will be disappointed most of the women (and men for that matter, for you women) will look like the people you see in your local Walmart. As with the first my second cruise I will not be looking for anyone but will have a good time.

I don't have horror stories to tell you but alot of single women were complaining that there were not enough men at the table but it was more the cruise ship fault than the single cruise company.

Overall, it's the luck of the draw that you will find a roommate you will get along with but again, enjoy the cruise first.
Old January 28th, 2006, 06:45 PM
Admiral

I have use the share program on Holland America 3 times.
never had a problem, we set the rules on the first day.
I have been lucky so far. I am going april 2 on the ryndam 14 days
I am going alone again.One of these times I might get lucky
and have the room to my self.
Old January 28th, 2006, 10:41 PM
booboo4031

I have to agree with Beetlegator on this one. I will pay the extra $$. I will not do a mystery roommate .... The last time I had a roommate was in college and that was a very long time ago ... I've done quite a few singles cruises and have heard many different stories of matched roommates. Like others have said .. I've never gone on one of these cruises anticipating meeting anyone ... but the privacy of my own cabin is worth it to me.
Old February 3rd, 2006, 05:01 AM
Admiral

Beetlegator your right on about Walmart!
Old February 3rd, 2006, 07:24 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by showcat
Beetlegator your right on about Walmart!
Showcat, I can understand why you were more interested in one of the ships crew than the single men in your party. As I mention above, I only found few single women on my cruise that I could of been interested in and those that were not my type try to get my attention at the cruise parties and about on the ship. I kept to myself during the rest of the cruise.

Don't get me wrong, I will continue to cruise but I will be more realistic in meeting people in a group. I also understand that the single cruise companies cannot choose who will be on the cruise and rightly so, but they do try to have messageboards so parties can talk and exchange photos of themselves.
Old February 8th, 2006, 11:03 AM
Passenger

Alaska or bust ...That company you booked your alaska cruise with matches on the smoking issue and same sex issue and also tries to match approximate age levels. The Balcony issue is very important to me on an Alaska cruise. For some reason I am assuming you are a woman. See you could get matched with someone who is a real "party animal" and then virtually have the cabin to yourself except the for the wee hours of the morning until the late morning or sometimes these type people dont come back to the cabin at all for several days except to get things they need.

That particular company will set up a message board for that cruise about 30 to 60 days before the cruise and that way you can post about yourself and what your "wished for parameters for a roomie" are and you are fairly likely to get some responses and then you can have the "ground rules" established before the cruise and that company would way more want two happy people roomies because then it makes their job easier.