Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 6th, 2006, 10:12 PM
Admiral

Default Does "single" imply looking for love?

When the word " single" is used on these boards do they imply only to those looking for some romance on a cruise? In that case perhaps I might be classified as a solo cruiser. I'm unmarried and love being that way and while I look to make friends on vaction, I have no dreams of getting married.
Like many cruisers I enjoyed the old Love Boat TV show where countless singles leave port hungry for a lover and return a week later with their soulmates. I've done 5 going on 6 cruises and feel that the cruiselines don't REALLY like singles that much. The pricing is geared towards attracting couples first and families second. A single person can easily feel alone in a crowd if they don't turn totally gregarious and play ALL the games like I do.
All in all there just aren't that many single people on board anyway.

Read and post cruise reviews

/ticker.png">
Sponsored Links
Old February 7th, 2006, 07:54 PM
Admiral

Default Singles cruises

I think single can be a solo travelor not looking, a married person or person in a steady realationship, who's spouse does not want to cruise, but doesn't want to pay the supplement like (my first cabin mate assigned to me) on singles cruise,
someone looking for love, or someone like me who's not really looking, unless I see someone Im very attracted to.
I do think that there is a romance about travel, a desire to share that experiance with someone and make memories. I have been on 2 singles cruises and booked with a Singles Agency, First cruise just 40 of us total, second cruise 140 of us, some singles cruises have over 400! Try singlescruise.com or Vacations to Go Singles Halloween cruises. To be with a large group you must book with a Singles Agency. No guarentee on love connection but you won't be lonely if you like to talk to people and meet friends/future travel mates! Some people get serious, some just hook up for a night, some end up somewhere in between. Over all I've made some wonderful friends. Vacations to go also has deals for solo travelers, but you won't be part of a singles group.
Old February 7th, 2006, 10:03 PM
Admiral

Thoth,

When the word " single" is used on these boards do they imply only to those looking for some romance on a cruise? In that case perhaps I might be classified as a solo cruiser. I'm unmarried and love being that way and while I look to make friends on vaction, I have no dreams of getting married.

In traditional social usage, "single" means never married. A person who was married previously may be either "wodow(er)ed" or "divorced." The term has no implications whatsoever regarding interest in a relationship.

In cruising, "single" seems to mean (1) anybody who is not in a committed soical relationship or (2) is not travelling with the other perty to a committed social relationship. This category certainly could include widow(er)s and divorce(e)s. Some of these individuals obviously are more open to the possibility of a new relationship than others.

Norm.
Old February 8th, 2006, 12:03 AM
Yeoman

In traditional social usage, "single" means never married. A person who was married previously may be either "wodow(er)ed" or "divorced." The term has no implications whatsoever regarding interest in a relationship.

In cruising, "single" seems to mean (1) anybody who is not in a committed soical relationship or (2) is not travelling with the other perty to a committed social relationship. This category certainly could include widow(er)s and divorce(e)s. Some of these individuals obviously are more open to the possibility of a new relationship than others.
>>>>>>>>>>

I disagree. In my opinion "single" simply means someone who is traveling alone. It doesn't matter if they are married or unmarried, in or out of a relationship, divorced, widowed, whatever. They are traveling alone. It does not automatically define them as looking for romance. Granted, some might be, but let's not label everyone. That's like saying a woman who walks into a bar by herself merely because she wants a drink is wanting to be "picked up," or that a man walking into a bar by himself is looking for a "pick up."

As to whether or not individual single cruisers are "more open to the possibility of a new relationship than others," I feel that is their business and not open for our judgment. All I do know for sure is that cruising just has to be the best vacation for "singles."
Old February 8th, 2006, 12:24 AM
Admiral

I disagree. In my opinion "single" simply means someone who is traveling alone. It doesn't matter if they are married or unmarried, in or out of a relationship, divorced, widowed, whatever. They are traveling alone. It does not automatically define them as looking for romance. Granted, some might be, but let's not label everyone. That's like saying a woman who walks into a bar by herself merely because she wants a drink is wanting to be "picked up," or that a man walking into a bar by himself is looking for a "pick up."

As to whether or not individual single cruisers are "more open to the possibility of a new relationship than others," I feel that is their business and not open for our judgment. All I do know for sure is that cruising just has to be the best vacation for "singles."[/quote] I agree with you about cruises being the best vaction for singles. Just about any other vaction for means dining alone (" Table for ONE please") and such. On a cruise I usually have a whole table of new friends at dinner and make more friends on shore trips, by the pool, or watching the sun set.
After taking that first cruise, nothing else compares becouse other people are about 50% of the fun in going in the first place.

/ticker.png">
Old February 8th, 2006, 07:30 AM
First Mate

If you use the generic term of "single" it will be one person whether he/she is married or not.

If that man/woman walks in a bar for just a drink and not looking for a romantic encounter but the bystander (man/woman) who is looking for a romantic encounter would assume that single person is looking for one.
Old February 8th, 2006, 10:41 AM
Passenger

I disagree with the editor lol. My definition of course it the right one hahah. A single cruiser is someone who is NOT married, or in a monogamous relationship with someone. If they are married or in a monogamous relationship then they can hang around with other married people on the ship and not take up space on a singles group.

Actually that is a complicated question. Ive seen married people on singles cruises just for the party ambience. I have also seen "rats" that are supposedly in a monogamous relationship and go on the singles cruises as a modality to "cheat" without getting caught. The "regulars" with one company I go with often go to party with friends they have made on past singles cruises. Some use singles cruises as a modality for having a "fling". (no one knows back home and the person doesnt live nearby so just a week of fun).

A fair percentage of people who do singles cruises book in groups with the people they party with at home. This type of thing can be rather daunting at first because you find that "everyone" already seems to know everybody else and sit together at dinner. There are however a bunch of people are specifically "looking for love" and seems to me if that were the case, you have a pretty good "menu" on a singles cruise. Ive known several people marry one another from singles cruises.

I like to travel on ships, and singles group cruising pretty much guaratees that there will be other singles to "hang out with" which often doesnt happen on "solo" cruising. So you will find all manner of "singles" in any given singles group. I really doubt I will ever do a cruise again without a singles group of one company or another.
Old February 8th, 2006, 06:17 PM
Admiral

Pat,

In my opinion "single" simply means someone who is traveling alone. It doesn't matter if they are married or unmarried, in or out of a relationship, divorced, widowed, whatever. They are traveling alone.

You seem to be confusing "single" and "solo" -- which are not synonyms.

Also, your definition omits the situation in which two siblings, cousins, or friends are travelling together (sharing a cabin, etc.) but not in a relationship. Such individuals may in fact welcome a new relationship.

In my experience, the "singles" gatherings on cruise ships seem to be for anybody who is not travelling with a spouse, fiance(e), etc. -- including siblings or friends travelling togther. As I noted in my earlier post, some individuals in this category may be seeking a new relationship and others might not.

Norm.
Old February 8th, 2006, 10:01 PM
Passenger

I disagree with the editor lol. My definition of course it the right one hahah. A single cruiser is someone who is NOT married, or in a monogamous relationship with someone. If they are married or in a monogamous relationship then they can hang around with other married people on the ship and not take up space on a singles group

Pretty Harsh...So what is the solo (married) cruiser supposed to do? There are a lot of us out there and I've yet to see a board category dedicated to us. Maybe it would be named "In Limbo"

I still keep in touch with a number of singles that I've met over the years. They certainly don't seem to mind my company.
Old February 9th, 2006, 08:07 AM
Passenger

Well cheeseburger, I am sorry if that sounded harsh. However, I know plenty of married people and I do things with them or more likely just the husbands hahaha (hunting fourwheeling etc). If I spend money to go on a singles cruise I want it to be with single people. Cruising by its very nature has and underlying feeling of romance or possible romance. You must have one heck of a relationship because when I was married I sure wouldnt have wanted my wife in the middle of some of the things that go on during a singles cruise. Hey its ok to be married and go on a singles cruise to party and be with people traveling alone and the booking companies sure don't ask for verification of single status. Sounds to be an awkward situation one way or another. How about having some intimate conversation over drinks, do you just throw in "oh by the way, I am married"?

Actually I did run into a Yahoo Message board that has people who travel solo but are either marrried or have no interest in possible romantic involvement. I can't remember the name of it at the moment and was only a member for a brief period of time. But carry on and have fun cruisin is wot I say. John NM
Old February 9th, 2006, 12:13 PM
First Mate

[quote= How about having some intimate conversation over drinks, do you just throw in "oh by the way, I am married"?
[/quote]

John makes a good point, if I spend my hard earned money on a single group cruise I expect the majority of the women are looking for male companionship and are single. To have a surprise pop up during an intimate conversation sort of ruins the mood. Though the person who indicates that he/she is married at least gave warning that they belong to another, I guess it's up to that person to continue or end the conversation.
Old February 9th, 2006, 01:42 PM
Passenger

I can see your point, however.....I generally avoid the intimate conversation mode. I wear my wedding band (the same one I've worn for 26+ years) and am friendly but upfront about being married. Guys have to work hard enough without wasting their time on me.

Have I been hit on? Sure...but it doesn''t continue more than a few minutes. I love to converse with people (married and single) on all topics to include male/female relationships. I usually wind up playing cupid within the group.
Old February 9th, 2006, 10:50 PM
Yeoman

Norm writes: "You seem to be confusing "single" and "solo" -- which are not synonyms...Also, your definition omits the situation in which two siblings, cousins, or friends are travelling together (sharing a cabin, etc.) but not in a relationship. Such individuals may in fact welcome a new relationship."
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I still maintain that in "Cruisespeak," a single passenger is one passenger traveling alone for whatever reason, and a solo passenger is also one passenger traveling alone for whatever reason. Single and solo in that concept is not confusing and is not to be interpreted as a synonym. And if a single person is cruising with family members, are they any less "single" than someone occupying a single cabin? We are starting to get very technical here...but all in good fun (I hope).

And I see nothing wrong with married people traveling "solo," or "single," whatever you want to call it. I have a married girlfriend who often travels with me because her husband cares nothing about going. We attend single cruise functions, and if someone "hits" on her, she just says she's flattered but very married. Single guys ask her to dance, and she has a great time and makes lots of new friends--male and female. I just don't like the stigma that someone has to be unmarried to go on an organized singles cruise.

On the other hand, I know of married men--and women--who travel together NOT on a singles cruise for the sole purpose of "what happens on the ship stays on the ship," and that is strictly their business.

I just don't want anyone who is traveling by themselves...or with relatives, to feel unwelcome on an organized singles cruise...or any cruise, for that matter.

Here's wishing everyone wonderful, happy cruises, because that's what it is all about, right?
Old February 10th, 2006, 11:47 AM
Passenger

Afterall Pat you are the editor lol. As a person whose job it is to promote cruising, I don't know how you could see it any other way. Nevertheless a married person is simply not single..........tax status all the way to societal/cultural definition. I really don't see this happening where a bunch of married individuals start going on singles cruises but if that were to happen it sure would take some of the attraction out of singles cruises for me anyway.

I would like to use two cruises I have been on without a singles group as examples. On one of them the Maitre D was excellent and actually looked into seating to the point that he seated actual single people at two tables for eight; great cruise! On another the Maitre D didnt care and just seated people who were traveling without their spouse or in this particular case a group of women taking a vacation from their husbands and men in general for that matter. Terrible cruise socially. I finally switched to a table with some married couples traveling together as did the two other males at that table.

Singles group cruises do cost more in spite of what their promotions say, and if I were going to cruise with married people why would I pay extra money to go on a singles cruise? I do hang out with married people on singles cruises too. Lots of interesting people with interesting stories but again I can do that without paying extra money.

There is quite a market out there for Solo cruising. In fact there is this one group called "Just Us Girls" who have nada zip zilch interest in flirtations or the idea of romanticism of cruising.

Semantics are important. How about CFL? Is that company supposed to change the name to married looking for an affair? Or singlescruise....maybe they should call it TWS ..traveling without spouse cruises. OK I apologize Pat. I promise not to say anything else on this "thread". And keep up the good work and whatever anybodies real status, have fun cruisin is wot I say.
Old February 10th, 2006, 05:25 PM
Yeoman

John, please keep posting. I find your viewpoints interesting as I am sure others do, as well. That is what makes the message boards so much fun--and enlightening. And you made a lot of good points in your most recent posting, and I am inclined to agree with you!
Old February 11th, 2006, 05:17 AM
Admiral

Cruiseburger I hope to meet you one day, I may have you play cupid for me! On my first singles cruise my cabin mate was married, not looking for love. She booked with the lady who handles the singles cruises but had her own group of bachlorette party girls having a bachlorette party at sea. I had more fun with her then some of the single gals. Who would have thought! Though her ladies sat at their own table and did thier own thing in ports, didn't attend the singles event's, I didn't mind them being sort of in our group at all.

Ditto for married people if thier spouses can't or won't travel with them and they need a cabin mate or don't want to be alone on a vaction. Yes they can hang out with other married people or hang out with us, I have no problem eather way. I would have a problem with a guy who courts me and whom I find out or don't find out has a wife at home. These people are pond scum as far as Im concerned and I belive a good friend of mine got taken in by one of these con artists. The singles will book eather way. So as long as people are honest I don't have a problem, if there married wear thier rings or let everyone know up front from the get go they are. What matters is are they fun, nice, cool to hang out with.

I meet some nice couples and family's on my singles cruises too. One couple wanted to fix me up with a guy they knew back home, the other spent the day with me on a shore excursion which was really nice as I was alone. Though I long for the day when cruise lines build more single person cabins, eliminate the singles supplements, and treat singles as equals to couples I don't expect that to happen any time soon.
Old February 27th, 2006, 04:15 PM
Banned
Familiar Face

I just booked a shared cabin on the Imagination for may 8-13 thru a travelagent... I am dating a guy, not engaged or married or anything...

and not really looking, but I want to go on a cruise again. My ex and i went on princess 2x and i went on several cruises with 2 girlfriends who both sadly passed away within the last year and half, both from cancer

The guy I am seeing is just not into cruises, we went to orlando for a weekend, but he has NO interest in cruises...I dont have any girlfriends who like cruises or have the time/money to go

I did try to "get with" a roomate...but honestly I find that a bit more scary, one of them on here is really pushy and wants people in south florida to "put her up" before a cruise, and I looked at her website, all about how she hates her ex, mental health stuff..freaky

so in some cases I think a group is safer
I still would like to meet up with single women who enjoy cruise and fun, non smoking, but at this point I think a group is just easier

I like the idea also of meeting people to eat dinner with, to share cabs at the ports etc..more fun

I dont think men should "expect" women to be looking for LOVE on a 5 day cruise haha....I hope not...

I do wish this board would be more useful at finding roomates, but there are some people who want to 'control" it and impose their own ideas...so maybe a travel agent and a group is safer for my first cruise with "strangers"?? I am looking forward to it ...5 day cruise to ochos and grand cayman! Imagination!!
Old February 28th, 2006, 10:34 AM
Yeoman

Have you tried Cruisemates "Seeking Cruise Companion" message board?

I agree it is not easy to make plans to cruise with a total stranger, especially if it is not a singles cruise where there are constant activities for singles and many, many other singles to hang out with. I'm doing some research on criteria for booking with someone you meet on the SCC message board. Stay tuned. I'll let everyone know when it is posted.
Old February 28th, 2006, 01:36 PM
First Mate

Default my dilema

Me and my long time girlfriend are supposed to cruise this Monday (Western Carribbean), well we had been having problems for a while but we seemed to have had worked things out until this past weekend, we had the biggest fight I would guess of our 5 year relationship and she is going to pack her bags and leave the house!!!

I'm heartbroken, because of the time and energy I have vested in this relationship, but I'm more in shock the most likely I'll be going on this cruise alone because she is refusing to go, and I won't dare ask for a refund and loose a big chunk of change in refund fees and things like that. My attitude is that if you don't want to come, that's on you, but I'm going.

I know see myself as one of those dudes you see on deck with no companion, eating alone, and doing shore tours by myself. I'm in tears just thinking about it, especially because of the circumstances.

I guess on this cruise, me being a single cruiser does not mean I'm looking for love, as a matter of fact, it means that I have lost love.

I'm sad!
Old February 28th, 2006, 03:13 PM
Banned
Familiar Face

Hi EMG....wow...sorry to hear about that, but glad you are going, maybe she will go too or maybe not, at least you can relax and just get a 'breather' there huh?

~~~~~~~~~ One other idea I have...the more I think about it the less i would be interested in a "just us gals" or any type "red hat" lady cruise deal

frankly I find those red hat clubs to be really ...over the top?? I am not that structured a person

I would NOT like a real "meat market" singles cruise...

but frankly I would also not want a real in your face, phoney lets all act nutty whee aren't we having fun deal either??

I am hoping a cruise like I am on , a singles but with just a few functions, matched roomies, and some dinner table assignments will be a happy medium

hey I am NOT married, or even living with the guy I am dating > so who knows?? hopefully I will meet some nice travel companions, friends to be, share meals, maybe share a cab at ports

I enjoy funny and laid back people of both sexes for conversation and travel, but I also really do not want some "Queen Mother" in my face waving a big purple flower and telling me what excursion to take haha

There should be a happy medium

I think some "regulation" of that "matchup board" for single cruisers is needed frankly, there are some people there who want to take it over and say "email me" ..or be the "go between" and frankly I dont trust them

and again...after seeing that one persons website? I would go overboard rather than hear some wailing tale of "my horrible ex" for a whole cruise...scary scary

I am sorry if I come off as 'blunt" but this is supposed to be fun, not scary JMO>>> I feel very good about my TA she specializes in single trips, I did ask her about the "wont you open your house"stuff and she was appalled, she said she has NEVER heard of people trying to get someone in florida to be a "hotel" for other cruisers...never

I feel lucky to have found a NOT too structured group that does have some group stuff...ie, dinner seatings, a welcome party, and room shares, with some responsibility and accountability in the form of the company

works for me...hope to hear other ideas, cause it would be great if we could have more ways to be able to post for roommate/cabin shares with out people trying to jump in and take it over and push some other agenda

looking forward to Imagination...May 13-18 !!!