Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 9th, 2006, 07:14 PM
Passenger

Default Single Dad with Two kids, best cruise for me?

Single Dad 35, looking for a fun cruise for me and my two Kids 6 and 8. I want my kids to have fun and I want to meet other single parents. Whats the best cruise for me?
Sponsored Links
Old February 9th, 2006, 10:33 PM
Yeoman

Go to the singles section of Cruisemates and check the singles cruise calendar. There are a couple of cruises for single parents and their kids that I think would be just what you are looking for.

Otherwise, Disney is a good choice.

Have fun!
Old February 10th, 2006, 12:19 AM
Admiral

Shane,

Go to the singles section of Cruisemates and check the singles cruise calendar. There are a couple of cruises for single parents and their kids that I think would be just what you are looking for.

Otherwise, Disney is a good choice.

Before you book anything, answer two questions.

>> 1. Do you want to meet any other single parents or do you want to meet other single parents whose lifestyles and values are similar to our own?

>> 2. What values, manners, etc., are you trying to instill in your children?

I'm hard pressed to recommend one cruise line over another without knowing the answers to these questions. While it's true that you might meet more single parents on one cruse line than another, you also have to consider that those single parents may have interests very different from your own or may be teaching your children valuse that differ markedly from the values that you want to instill in your children. Your odds of finding a good situation for you and your children will be much better on a cruise line that matches your lifestyle and values than on one that does not.

Once you have the answers to these questions, go to a major bookstore (Bordres, Barnes & Noble, etc.) and check out a couple of the guidebooks (Frommer's, Fodor's, Sterns, Berlitz, etc.) that summarize and evaluate the major cruise lines and cruise ships and read their comments on lifestyle, suitability, youth programs, and whatever else matters to you. The descriptions in the guidebooks probably will make it very clear, in light of your answers to the two questions above, which cruise lines would be the better choices for you and your children.

BTW, all of the major cruise lines have outstanding programs for children of all ages. Disney's programs obviously center around the Disney characters, and there's nothing wrong with that. Nonetheless, programs on other lines have other activities and events run by competent professional staffs that hold the interests of the children, and many of hem have much stronger educational components than Disney's. Again, the issue here is what you really want for your children.

Have a great cruise, whichever you decide!

Norm.
Old February 11th, 2006, 05:28 AM
Admiral

Im sure the singles with kids cruises would not be a spring break free for all since people are bringing the kids along. For that matter nothing that wild ever happens on a normal singles cruise, they are good clean fun I know I've been on 2. Great group of people on both.

However if you choose not to bring the kids, and you just want to see about maybe meeting someone special who may or may not have kids of her own take a regluar singles cruise. The singles groups have pre cruise chat boards so you can ask questions before the cruise, but this is only open after you book. Carnival and Costa have excellent kids programs from what I hear and for other lines just post the questions on that perticular cruiselines message board here on cruisemates.com.

I think for a man who might be looking to meet someone special it's a great thing the ladies usually outnumber the guys so the odds are in your favor.
Old February 11th, 2006, 06:50 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to newinHickory Send a message via Yahoo to newinHickory

I'm new here and not sure how they feel about talking about other websites, however Vacationstogo.com has a Caribbean cruise for Single Parents, leaving Miami on July 1st. Just an idea
Old February 12th, 2006, 03:31 PM
Yeoman

Norm writes: Before you book anything, answer two questions.

>> 1. Do you want to meet any other single parents or do you want to meet other single parents whose lifestyles and values are similar to our own?

>> 2. What values, manners, etc., are you trying to instill in your children?
>>>>>>>>>
I don't think the person posting the original question re. cruises for singles parents with kids was concerned with finding similar lifestyles and values on a 7-day cruise. What a lot of extra baggage to pack with the swimsuits and suntan oil.

It seemed to me he was merely interested in having fun with his kids around other single parents and their kids. He will find special single parents with kids cruises on Cruisemates singles calendar, or he will find single parents with kids on Disney...and lots of them. Simple. Which is why I responded with brevity.
Old February 12th, 2006, 09:56 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Hagan Singles Editor
I don't think the person posting the original question re. cruises for singles parents with kids was concerned with finding similar lifestyles and values on a 7-day cruise. What a lot of extra baggage to pack with the swimsuits and suntan oil.

It seemed to me he was merely interested in having fun with his kids around other single parents and their kids.:
exactly!!!!!! Thank You!!!
Old February 12th, 2006, 10:54 PM
Passenger

Hi Shane,

I am a single mother in her thirties taking my two children ages 11 and 12 on The Liberty March 26th. We are very much looking forward to this. I went on a singles cruise last year by myself and had a wonderful time and while I was onboard (Carnival Legend) I checked out camp carnival and I can tell you, your kids will have a blast! Carnival has such a variety of things for the kids to do. I was amazed. As for me meeting other single parents on board, I met quite a few on my trip last year so I am sure your bound to find some no matter what ship your on. I met a lot of nice people and have stayed in touch with some of them and even met up with a few of them over this past year. Good luck in your venture. Your welcome to join us March 26th!!!
Old February 13th, 2006, 12:47 AM
Admiral

Pat,

It seemed to me he was merely interested in having fun with his kids around other single parents and their kids. He will find special single parents with kids cruises on Cruisemates singles calendar, or he will find single parents with kids on Disney...and lots of them. Simple. Which is why I responded with brevity.

I was not suggesting that Shane "pack" "a lot of extra baggage" with his swimsuits and suntan oil. Rather, I was suggesting that he probably would have a much more enjoyable time if he makes a choice that's compatible with his own style and that of his childern. A little time spent doing one's homework so one can make suitable choices is time well spent.

Norm.
Old February 13th, 2006, 01:00 AM
Admiral

shane,

exactly!!!!!! Thank You!!!

I'm sorry if my earlier post came across the wrong way. I was merely trying to suggest doing a little homework to pick a line that would match your personal style, whatever your personal style may be. By way of example, a person who detests dresing up for dinner might prefer a line where there are no formal nights while, conversely, a person who enjoys "dressing to he nines" might want to go on a line that has not only formal evenings, but semiformal or informal evenings as well. There's not much point in cruising on a line whose style -- and that of most of its pasengers -- will clash with your own, making you miserable. Likewise, I doubt that you want to cruise on a line that's going to work against the values that you are trying to teach to your children. A little time spent "doing your homework" before you book will help you to make suitable choices that will add to your enjoyment, with the additional benefit that most of the people that you meet onboard will have chosen the same line for similar reasons, so you will have something in common with them.

Again, sorry if I worded my earlier post in a way that was confusing.

Norm.
Old February 13th, 2006, 01:24 PM
Yeoman

The personal values, fashion, opinions, behavior, etc. of passengers on one particular cruise, or cruise line, cannot be categorized. Doing one's homework as to prevalences can help, true, but I don't think the average passenger wanting a vacation at sea is going to split hairs over minute details that are too oft in the eye of the beholder, anyway.