Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 13th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to MommaT
Default Single! or SINGLE??

Since I'm horridly confused at the moment, I'm just going to post and see where this gets me.

When ya'll say "single" - do you mean cruising alone? Or as in like relationship single?

My friend Wendy and myself are single Moms who have booked a cruise on RC the end of April. We're trying to figure out how hard it is going to be to find two guys to dance with!
Sponsored Links
Old February 13th, 2006, 04:25 PM
Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to MommaT
Default and yes...

I read the other post where the guy asked the same thing...but it seemed to have turned out in a rather lengthy conversation that I didn't see an answer to....!
Old February 13th, 2006, 10:16 PM
Admiral

Default Re: and yes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaT
I read the other post where the guy asked the same thing...but it seemed to have turned out in a rather lengthy conversation that I didn't see an answer to....!
YEP...you got that right. That thread went into left field.
I'll give MY answer on how cruising single worked for me.
Being single meant first I payed extra for a room to myself. I attended the singles party and met some very nice people. No romance but I usually could find someone to dance with. If you talk to enough people you should find someone to dance with. Good luck !

Read and post cruise reviews

Read and post cruise reviews
/ticker.png">
Old February 13th, 2006, 11:10 PM
Yeoman

The only way you can be sure there are going to be other singles on a cruise is to book an organized singles cruise.

And the only way to be sure a "single" is really a single, i.e., unmarried, is to ask---and hope you get a truthful response.

But, in reality, most "single" people on a cruise are single, i.e., unmarried.
Old February 14th, 2006, 07:49 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Single! or SINGLE??

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaT
When ya'll say "single" - do you mean cruising alone? Or as in like relationship single?
Maybe it's either the sign of the times or just on this board, but it sounds like it's bad to be married.

MY definition of single cruiser is "a person who travels alone" it doesn't mean they are looking for romance he or she could be married or single.

When I go on a "single cruise" I want to meet people who are in my situation, but also have the possibility to have romance on this long cruise. This is what I think everyone is trying to say.

Even if you gotten along with couples or families it would be very hard to ask any of them to go on the dance floor. And believe it or not even on and organized "singles cruise" it does not GUARRENTEE you will find a man/woman who will go dancing, you may not like anyone in the group.
Old March 1st, 2006, 12:43 PM
Passenger

I suppose I already "mucked up" the last thread about this, but to me SINGLE means SINGLE. I would strongly recommend springing for the extra couple hundred and go on and actual organized singles cruise. Hey a lot of the people on those things are not really looking for love per se although thats in the back of a lot of peoples minds. Plenty of dance partners and dinner mates etc. Usually they have excursions booked through an agency other than the ship and so you are with other singles.

The perils of traveling single outside of a group can be a bit daunting. I like to tell stories so here is a couple of em. I was on this jungle river excursion and I was sitting next to this pretty woman on the boat. I became apparent to me that she was a northeast woman and was rapidly becoming the color of a lobster so I got out my fancy Australian sun screen and offered to rub it on her. She said "sure" so I did that but there was this guy seated across the boat who kept glowering at me. Oops that would be her husband........Something only worse happened in a Conga line on the lido deck. Yep its best to go on a singles cruise is wot I say.
Old March 1st, 2006, 02:24 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Gemoets
The perils of traveling single outside of a group can be a bit daunting. I like to tell stories so here is a couple of em. I was on this jungle river excursion and I was sitting next to this pretty woman on the boat. I became apparent to me that she was a northeast woman and was rapidly becoming the color of a lobster so I got out my fancy Australian sun screen and offered to rub it on her. She said "sure" so I did that but there was this guy seated across the boat who kept glowering at me. Oops that would be her husband........Something only worse happened in a Conga line on the lido deck. Yep its best to go on a singles cruise is wot I say.
John, I couldn't agree more.

I would rather go on an organized single cruise than guess who is single and who is not.
Old March 1st, 2006, 07:10 PM
Admiral

John,

Unfortunately, an organized "singles" cruise won't prevent such incidents because it's very unusual for the organized "singles" group to fill an entire ship. Indeed, a group of perhaps a couple hundred single adults would occupy about 10% of the capacity of the new ships, depending how many opt for single occupancy of their cabins. The other 90% of the ship's capacity -- whom you will meet on excursions -- are just as married, or engaged, or whatever as on any other sailing.

Norm.
Old March 2nd, 2006, 05:24 AM
Admiral

I guess you can always ask so who did you come on the cruise with, rather then are you married which sounds like you might be hitting on the person. True also that you don't meet everyone in the larger singles groups I know that there were many I didn't get a chance to meet my fault cause I don't attend that many of the singles event's as Im sleepilng late or working on the tan.

I consider people who travel alone Solo travelers, they can be single or married and they are willing to travel for the sake of traveling. Or for an experiance and to maybe meet people.

I guess if you want to dance with someone strike up a conversation tap your foot and say gee I love this song, by any chance would you like to dance? I would do that after I ask the person who they came on the cruise with, so a wife won't knock you out for dancing with her hubby if you didn't know. Of course if someone is married they should share that info.

As for singles the ladies Im told almost always out number the men. Some ships have males employed by the cruise line who dance with women hosts I think they are called so if I wanted to insure I had a cance partner I might book one of these cruises if I didn't do a singles cruise.
Old March 2nd, 2006, 07:17 PM
Yeoman

Wouldn't it be simpler to just ask someone if they are married?
Old March 2nd, 2006, 09:50 PM
Admiral

Pat,

Wouldn't it be simpler to just ask someone if they are married?

Not any more. There are too many other versions of "taken" or "not available." A person might be

>> Engaged,

>> In a committed dating relationship prior to engagement,

>> "Shacking up" in a long-term relationship,

>> In a homosexual "partnership," or

>> Perpetually committed to celibacy (as is the case with Catholic and unmarried Orthodox clergy and members of Catholic and Orthodox religoius orders)

and thus not be available even though not married.

Norm.