Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 28th, 2006, 09:59 AM
Yeoman

You all are having a great time with your theories and opinions, and that is what the message boards are for--communicating, learning, and having fun. Each of you that have expressed your opinions on this thread sound very intelligent and perceptive, and I hope one day to meet you on a cruise. The first round is on me!
Old March 28th, 2006, 01:34 PM
Admiral

Wayne,

I've never taken Celebrity but they get high ratings from the so called experts. Berliz books seem to think they are clearly the best in mass market.

Celebrity clearly is the most upscale of the "mass market" lines -- which is why seven of their eight ships made the "best ten" in Conde-Naste's reader survey. Only MV Zenith (1987 vintage) did not. Celebrity's passengers generally relish the line's "upscale" character, so the line's "suggested" evening attire tends to be a minimum rather than a maximum -- especially on "casual" and "informal" evenings.

Whether Celebrity is best for you, or for anybody else, is another question entirely. If you like dressing up for the evening, intellectual activities, etc., Celebrity is an excellent choice. Those who want to spend the evenings in shorts and T shirts would be better served by other lines.

Anyway, cruise on!

Norm.
Old March 29th, 2006, 04:49 AM
Admiral

Hey Pat I will take you up on that offer! By the way I just booked the Pride Halloween singles cruise are you going?
Old March 29th, 2006, 09:27 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Hagan Singles Editor
You all are having a great time with your theories and opinions, . . .
Pat I live for conversations like this, it's very informative for anyone who wants to go on a single cruise and I don't want anyone to "sugar-coat" their experiences after they cruise.
Old March 29th, 2006, 09:30 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by showcat
Hey Pat I will take you up on that offer! By the way I just booked the Pride Halloween singles cruise are you going?
Since I will be going on the Pride in May I will attempt to give you a trip report of what to expect when I get back.

I was planning on doing the Halloween cruise on the Pride again but changed to another cruise weeks before. I would have LOVE to have met with you Showcat, but there is always next year.
Old March 29th, 2006, 04:47 PM
Admiral

Quote:
You all are having a great time with your theories and opinions, and that is what the message boards are for--communicating, learning, and having fun. Each of you that have expressed your opinions on this thread sound very intelligent and perceptive, and I hope one day to meet you on a cruise. The first round is on me!
Amen Pat ! I don't know how intelligent or perceptive I am ,but ya'll seem like great people and yes it would be cool if we somehow met on board. That's happened to me twice, meeting someone who was online and then met them on the ship. 8)

Read and post cruise reviews

/ticker.png">
Old March 29th, 2006, 05:17 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17

[i] If you like dressing up for the evening, intellectual activities, etc., Celebrity is an excellent choice.
Anyway, cruise on!

Norm.
That sounds like me ! Most of the time I wear shorts and Hawaiian shirts so it's cool to be able to dress up for a change. My normal dress style is according to my personality type (I keep cloths until they dry rot), but on a cruise it's fun to do differently. Holland America and Celebrity sound simular.
To those who might not know what we are talking about...most of my knowledge or wild guesses are based on 2 books "Type Talk" by Otto Kraeger ( spelling) and " Please Understand Me " by David Kirsey. I was newly stationed in England with the Air Force when I found " Type Talk" at the base library and that book was a real God send. At the time I had suspected that perhaps I was indeed from another planet I loved England( Cambridge, Stratford, castles, ext) but was still trying to find my place in the world. That book made sense of my life history. It made me aware that I actually had strengths and I learned how to utilize those to change not just the internal but the external worlds as well. People started treating me much better ! Anyway I think I've perhaps gotten off target...this is a singles/cruises message board, so maybe next time I'll post some observations on singles on a cruise personalities
8) Cruise on to you too Norm !

/ticker.png">
Old March 29th, 2006, 08:25 PM
Admiral

Wayne,

Anyway I think I've perhaps gotten off target...this is a singles/cruises message board, so maybe next time I'll post some observations on singles on a cruise personalities

This topic might be more relevant than you think on a singles forum. The fact that our types represent about 1% of the population might explain why some of us are still single!

Norm.
Old March 30th, 2006, 11:01 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
The fact that our types represent about 1% of the population might explain why some of us are still single!

Norm.
SO true !

/ticker.png">
Old April 1st, 2006, 10:33 AM
Passenger

Hi Everybody. I am new on this message board. I met showcat on the vtg singles group in Dec.05. on the Costa Med. ship. We became great friends and we are both going on the Carnival Pride on Oct. 29th,06. We already have a group of us going from the Costa Cruise. I hope some of you single guys join us. I am a mature gal and I love to cruise. Cruising with a group of singles is like going back to high school where we all act like kids in a Candy Store. There are all types of candies. I met a mature guy who was chasing after all the young gals. I kept my cool and just hung in there waiting for the right time to get to know him better. After the cruise he called me and we started a friendship. We are just friends presently and are getting to know eachother better. I don't know how long our friendship will last. He is an introverted environmental scientist who is a very kind man. I am a college professor who is a super extrovert, social butterfly.

Question to NORM - My guy friend is a INTP and I am a ENFJ. Do you think we are compatiable based on our personality types? I know that there are many other factors that I have to take into consideration. But I just want to know what you have to say because you are an expert on the Myers-Briggs. Thank you, Luci
Old April 1st, 2006, 03:04 PM
Admiral

Question to NORM - My guy friend is a INTP and I am a ENFJ. Do you think we are compatiable based on our personality types? I know that there are many other factors that I have to take into consideration. But I just want to know what you have to say because you are an expert on the Myers-Briggs. Thank you, Luci[/quote]

Hello Luci ! While I can't speak for NORM or your friend, it would seem that you two make a good match based on my experience and readings. I's need E friends who are their spokespersons and and ambassadors to the outside world. N is the most important letter in the equation meaning your from the same planet and thus think and view the world in the same way. As a NT myself I'm attracted towards NF types whom I consider deep. NF types have been a great help to me in understanding people from a personal level. But then again that's just MY take on things.

/ticker.png">
Old April 1st, 2006, 11:34 PM
Admiral

Luci,

Question to NORM - My guy friend is a INTP and I am a ENFJ. Do you think we are compatiable based on our personality types?

You may have heard two popular sayings.

>> 1. Opposites attract.

>> 2. Birds of a feather flock together.

So what does "compatible" mean?

Seriously, both of these sayings apply to the Meyers-Briggs Type Inventory. Letters alike provide familiarity -- a comfort zone -- and channels for communication. Letters opposite provide the intrigue and excitement of the unknown and challenge for growth. Compatibility depends, to a large degree, on what you are seeking in a relationship.

Now, there's also a LOT of significance to this "communication" and "challenge" thing. A few years ago, I met a married couple who had all four letters opposite (Yikes!). The first several years of their marriage were quite stormy, as it seemed that they never could agree on anything. During the course of marriage therabpy, they did a LOT of work with the Meyers-Briggs Type Inventory, looking at each other's tendencies and preferences as well as their own in order to understand how each other acted or reacted in various situations. In fact, they learned the instruement so well that the wife went on to gain certification to administer the instrument and to use it in personal growth seminars (the husband had other gainful employment). Over time, it became a source of humor when they disagreed about something ("okay, there goes your <insert trait> again..."). Ultimately, there's little dobut that it saved their marriage.

With three letters opposite and one letter alike, you and your "guy friend" are going to have differences of opinion more often than not, compounded by weak mutual communication through which to resolve them. As intriguing -- even exillarating -- as the relationship may seem at times, it will always bring times of real frustration where you are thoroughly convinced that he is not undertanding a word of what you are trying to say, and vice versa, as you try to resolve one of many points on which you have reasonable differences of opinion. OTOH, if you and he ever reach agreement on something -- and that's a very big if -- you and he will have come to a reasonably sound decision. Overall, this relationship probably is best maintained as a friendship because the dynamics between you and he would intensify to pose grave difficulties in a marriage.

I know that there are many other factors that I have to take into consideration. But I just want to know what you have to say because you are an expert on the Myers-Briggs.

Well, I would not exactly call myself an expert, but I have been through enough seminars, workshops, and retreats based upon the Meyers-Briggs Type Inventory to understand its basic workings....

Anyway, I hope that this information is helpful.

Norm.
Old April 2nd, 2006, 04:58 AM
Passenger

Norm, I still think you are well informed on the Myers-Brigges. Have you heard of True Color by David Lorey? He studied under Myers-Briggs. I think that is his name. THE "F's are the Blue colors, the greens are the Thinking types, the oranges are the Sensing types and the Golds are the Conventional types. There several books written on the subject.

Thank you for the information on my relationship with my guy friend. I was wondering why I would get into a scream fest and get all frustrated with him. We don't see things the same way most of the time. I wondered why. Now I know it is because he sees things differently than I do. Your explanation will save my beautiful blond hair from being pulled in anger. I get really angry with him and he is a very nice guy but we don't see things the same way. I verbally lash out at him and then I tell him I am sorry.
There is no way I would marry him. I plan to keep him only as a part-time friend if he is willing to consider it. Otherwise our friendship will be over soon. We like eachother very much but not 100%. We only like eachother on a temporary basis until he meets or I meet someone else that is more compatiable with me. I wish I could make the friendship last but not at my expense or his. We are better off just being friends. Cheers, Luci
Old April 2nd, 2006, 11:28 PM
Admiral

Unless someone objects I thought I might add some more food for thought to this personalities at sea topic.
Since this IS a singles forum I would like to address the correlation between a single's personality and why they might cruise. There are many singles who retain the romance of Titanic ( Rose meets her soul-mate, not the sinking part) or the Love Boat from TV. I've met those who seem to be captivated by this romance of the sea and the possible soul-mate showing up at dinner. Disapointment seems to greet them instead. They resemble the textbook NF.
There are other singles who strike me as the classical SP type who are looking for sexual energy. This energy may or may not result in action.
At the same time, I always seem to encounter those who like me love meeting others but more or less are more drawn towards the adventure itself and don't necessarily need others. Of course they frequently prefer the company of new friends, but don't outwardly suffer loneliness. NT's maybe ?
As for single SJ's, I'm drawing a blank and cannot recall any singles on a cruise who gave me the impression as being Sensor Judgers.
Also when we talk about MBTI and 16 types it might be wise to consider the degree in which one identifies with each corresponding letter in the equation. Me ...60% Introvert, 95% intuitive, 70% thinker, and 70% perceiver. To strong Sensor types I'm considered "out there" , but the other 3 letters haven't caused as much misunderstanding becouse I'm more centralist in those categories. In other words, two INTP's or ESFJ's could come across as very different. Just a thought !
Then there is the nature versus nuture debate. On this thread the topic of nature has been discussed, but what about nuture? Perhaps the religion, ethnic group, or political / social ideology into which each person was born would outweigh Myers- Briggs in determing capatablity as friends and mates?

/ticker.png">
Old April 3rd, 2006, 10:03 AM
Yeoman

Crystal Cruise Lines is one of my favorites for singles. They also have "Learning Labs" offering some very interesting classes in different areas. For instance, I took a Yamaha Keyboard class, attended by several single men. Then there are lectures with a variety of celebrity speakers. I highly reco, by the way.

I heartily recommend Crystal for the solo traveler who wants something different...and classy. By the way, girls, there are always Ambassador Hosts onboard for dancing and dining companions.
Old April 3rd, 2006, 12:56 PM
Admiral

Luci,

Have you heard of True Color by David Lorey? He studied under Myers-Briggs. I think that is his name. THE "F's are the Blue colors, the greens are the Thinking types, the oranges are the Sensing types and the Golds are the Conventional types. There several books written on the subject.

No, I can't say that I'm familiar with any of that.

Thank you for the information on my relationship with my guy friend. I was wondering why I would get into a scream fest and get all frustrated with him. We don't see things the same way most of the time. I wondered why. Now I know it is because he sees things differently than I do. Your explanation will save my beautiful blond hair from being pulled in anger. I get really angry with him and he is a very nice guy but we don't see things the same way. I verbally lash out at him and then I tell him I am sorry.

You're welcome -- and thank you for confirming what I said, as doubters may benefit from your confirmation.

At this point, I probably should remind anybody else who is reading this thread that what I said about the relationship relied only on the fact that three of your four traits were the opposite of his, and that it does not on any specific combination of traits. No trait and no personality type is any better or any worse than any other.

There is no way I would marry him.

Good. I really dislike having to help somebody pick up the pieces when a marriage goes bad!

I plan to keep him only as a part-time friend if he is willing to consider it. Otherwise our friendship will be over soon. We like eachother very much but not 100%. We only like eachother on a temporary basis until he meets or I meet someone else that is more compatiable with me. I wish I could make the friendship last but not at my expense or his. We are better off just being friends.

Unfortunately, I can't make you a better offer. I'm also an INTP.

Norm.
Old April 3rd, 2006, 01:42 PM
Passenger

Hi Pat Hagan, I met a single man who told me he didn't like Crystal Cruise line because it was just too much service and the cruisers were upper class. He considered himself middle working class. I am also middle working class.
But I would like to cruise on a Crystal ship someday just for the experience.

HI THOTH..... You brought up some interesting points that are very important for us singles to consider as we meet eachother.
You mentioned the SJ's. I think the SJ's are the singles that are considered the action singles who just want to do their own thing. They pack all of their snorkling gear and other action toys. At each port they take off on their own to have fun. The other type of SJ's are the ones who like being with the singles group and plan activities for a group of friends that they acquire on the cruise. They just hang out together as much as possible. I like hanging around with the action group singles. Since I have leadership qualities I am able to make plans for the group.
Religion - I believe in all religions. I get along well with singles who can hang lose and do not take their religion too seriously. I like spiritual singles better. They don't care what religion they were born into or joined. They get along with everybody.
Politics can be fun for me if the other single sees things the way I do. If not, I lose interest on the political topic. I move on to meet others like me.
Ethnic groups - I love people from all ethnic groups. The main problem I have is when their first language is stronger than English which is my first language. I speak several languages. Sometimes when they are trying to convey a thought it gets misunderstood by me. Or, they misunderstand what I am saying too. It can get stressful for me in trying to communicate.
But I don't give up the friendship based on that problem. I start learning their language so I can communicate better.
SOCIAL CLASS- I like to hang out with working middle class singles because that makes them very compatiable with me. But I can also have fun with other classes on a temporary basis. Here is my reasoning..... If I hang out with singles with my level of money.... then we will have fun doing things that are afordable. I don't have to worry about having to overspend my money where it gets rapidly depleted by hanging with singles who have more money than I do. I have a single friend who is low income. When I invite her to the movies I have to pay for the movies because she is on a budget. I like her company so I pay for her. But that will stop after awhile because my friend will not want to hang out with me because she is not at my income level.
I am a ENFJ and that is just part of who I am. I think that everybody also is one of a kind personality too. There is always something special about each one of us. It is fun for me to discover that special something in each one of us. I can see the beauty of a person on the inside too. By the way....I am more of a listener..... I can get really attracted to men who are not considered handsome if they can sweet talk me for real. I am a sucker for men like that. If a guy tells me he adores me....I am his.
Well.... I truly am enjoying meeting you & Norm. Pat has a lot to say too that is also very interesting. Hugzz, Luci
Old April 3rd, 2006, 09:55 PM
Admiral

LUCI....That was a thought provoking post there and you sound like a very interesting person. Thanks for sharing your perspective, especially the theories on Sensor-Judgers who cruise. No joke.. I had drawn a blank.
On religion, I can discuss Judaism, Islam, Catholicism, Evangelicalism, Buddhism, mainline Protestantism, Eastern Orthodox, ext with respect for each of these faiths. I do prefer those who take their religion seriously while at the same time tolerating other beliefs. That to me seems like the American way and the solution to many of the world's problems.
Social class..now there's an ambiguous concept for me at least. In college I loved Sociology and was considered a good student on that topic, but I questioned certain paradigms, with social classes being one of them. I have a hard time sometimes categorizing people into these social classes. Getting back to the topic at hand ( cruising), on a cruise ship I meet people from so many backgrounds and I sometimes wonder if society's definitions/measurements of social class are a bit superficial. I don't know.

/ticker.png">
Old April 4th, 2006, 02:13 AM
Passenger

HI THOTH, I truly enjoy conversing with you. I think I can also learn from you and you can learn new ideas from me. SO.......
Lets discuss social classes on a cruise ship. I had a friend who cruised with me for the first time and she said that our ship had the attitude that we were all from different classes so therefore we were all treated differently.
I said that on all cruise ships we are all treated equally and that there is no such thing as a class system like in the old days when people traveled on ships. For example; the Titanic ship did have a clear class system.
But nobody knows how much money a person has on a cruise ship today. We are all a mixture of different classes all merged together. I like that very much.
I get to meet people from different income levels and social classes. We are all there to just have fun.
When I took a Sociology class I had a radical teacher who believed we shouldn't have a class system. But it is now 2006 and I still see that we are all seperated by a class system. I have tried to cross over into the other class groups but I wasn't comfortable based on the fact that money does make a difference on who I can hang out with. For example; I like Paris Hiton who is super rich and can buy whatever she wants. I wouldn't want to hang out with her and have her pay for me for any activity we would do together. I have my pride which may be foolish if a super rich friend wants me to hang out with her but I would feel like she would be buying my time.
I would feel like a free-loader. Since I am a gal it is normal to meet guys who may have more money than me and it is okay for a guy to spend money on middle class me...... but at the same time if he gets disrespectful with me..... I have my own money to leave his company if he is totally rude and disrespectful with me. I like having my own money.
I have a question for you........ I was born a Culteral Catholic which means I only go to church for special occasions. I enjoy attending Spiritual type church that are very hang loose. I have met a guy who is born into the Hindu religion that I know nothing about. He seems to be very easy going about me being Catholic. He says he prays to God everyday.
Are there any similarities between the two religions that you can think of?
If there are some similarities than I think we will get along on a Spiritual level. Luci
Old April 4th, 2006, 11:15 PM
Admiral

Luci,

I have a question for you........ I was born a Culteral Catholic which means I only go to church for special occasions. I enjoy attending Spiritual type church that are very hang loose. I have met a guy who is born into the Hindu religion that I know nothing about. He seems to be very easy going about me being Catholic. He says he prays to God everyday.
Are there any similarities between the two religions that you can think of?
If there are some similarities than I think we will get along on a Spiritual level.

Yes, there are some incredible similarities at deeper levels. Of course, you will have to get a LOT deeper into the Catholic expression of Christian faith in order to understand and to appreciate the commonality and the points of divergence. I'm not quite sure how to advise you as to where to begin. I would like to suggest sitting down with your pastor or perhaps another priest, explaining your situation, and asking him for direction to help you discover your own roots more deeply. Unfortunately, my experience indictes that many Catholic priests are not very well prepared to do this. They might be able to refer you to somebody in your geographic area who really can help you, though.

BTW, did you miss my reploy to your earlier post a couple days ago? It appears that our posts might have crossed....

Norm.
Old April 5th, 2006, 12:48 AM
Admiral

Hi Luci ! i think Norm answered your question much better than I could concerning Catholics and Hindus.
On social classes this topic can get deep. One thing is that in some places in the world a person's social class is determined at birth. In the US I think wealth is used more , but I think that according to the book wealth and class aren't the same. I have my own standards beyond wealth which I admit are very much subjective.
That's the good thing about cruises ..not many people care about your class or wealth. The staff seem to come from poor areas but also to be so educated and well mannered. I wonder what social class they belonged to back home.

/ticker.png">
Old April 5th, 2006, 01:03 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Crystal Cruise Lines is one of my favorites for singles. They also have "Learning Labs" offering some very interesting classes in different areas. For instance, I took a Yamaha Keyboard class, attended by several single men. Then there are lectures with a variety of celebrity speakers. I highly reco, by the way.

I heartily recommend Crystal for the solo traveler who wants something different...and classy. By the way, girls, there are always Ambassador Hosts onboard for dancing and dining companions.
Hi Pat ! I've looked into Crystal. Aren't they a more of a luxury line which usually offer longer voyages? I think their Alaska trip is about 2 weeks.
Isn't Crystal expensive compared to Carnival ?

/ticker.png">
Old April 5th, 2006, 02:41 AM
Passenger

Hi Thoth, CRYSTAL cruise line is more expensive than other cruiselines. They charge approx. $2,000 per person double occupancy in an insider, for a 7 day cruise. I prefer to save my money and buy two cruises at that price.
I have interviewed the staff workers and some of them are highly educated.
It has been fun conversing with you. Luci

Norm, thank you for all of your information. I think I will go to a book store and do my own research on religions. I used to have a great book on comparisons of religions. I packed the book and put it in storage. Duh!
It was fun conversing with you.
I am bored right now and I am in a shallow mood where I just want my brain to be a no brainer.lol. It has been rainning all day and I dislike going out in the rain so I stayed home and was bored, bored, bored. I talked on the phone, I read a book on the Kama Sutra, lol, I mostly saw photos of impossible positions. I have to keep this info. "PG", so that is as far as I can discuss on this book topic. I also took a short nap and then I watched t.v. . I saw American Idol show, Dr. House, and Boston Legal show.
Talk to you all later. Cheers, Luci
Old April 5th, 2006, 07:18 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luci
Hi Thoth, CRYSTAL cruise line is more expensive than other cruiselines. They charge approx. $2,000 per person double occupancy in an insider, for a 7 day cruise. I prefer to save my money and buy two cruises at that price. . .
Hi Luci,

If you think that price is worse you need to check out the Tom Joyner's Fantastic Voyage Cruise where they charge $2300 per person for a quad cabin!!!

http://blackamericaweb.com/fv2006/prices.html
Old April 5th, 2006, 12:49 PM
Passenger

Hey Beetle, yes I do know of a lot of cruiselines that charge a lot of money.
I like sticking with the K-Mart specials of cruiselines. Carnival has a lot of K-Mart specials. Princess and Royal Carribean are more like Robinson-May.
Celebrity is more like shopping at Norstrums store but sometimes they have great specials. They all do when a ship isn't selling enough cabins.
I look for bargains. My sister and I cruise every Jan. or Feb. and we get a great price on Princess for $599, insider, double occup.
On special dates that I have chosen I usually pay approx. $800 for a 7 day cruise.
Old April 5th, 2006, 08:47 PM
Admiral

Luci,

Norm, thank you for all of your information. I think I will go to a book store and do my own research on religions. I used to have a great book on comparisons of religions. I packed the book and put it in storage. Duh!

I don't want to discourage you, but I suspect that books on compariative religions won't answer your questions. The authors of such books typically do not have the depth of understanding to get to the root of what's really going on in any religion. Also, many such authors are Atheists whose agenda is to disprove all other religions. Their agenda obviously gets in the way of objectivity. The only real way to learn about a religion is from people who live it zealously.

I am bored right now and I am in a shallow mood where I just want my brain to be a no brainer.lol.

I'll bite my tongue and resist the temptaiton to utter some zinger about the NF types. Seriously, we all have days like that -- days when our brains are burned out and we need some serious "down time." Enjoy it while you can!

I look for bargains.

So do I!

Celebrity is more like shopping at Norstrums store but sometimes they have great specials. They all do when a ship isn't selling enough cabins.

Celebrity is not exactly the bargain basement, but the parent comany offers a very interesting deal -- a shipboard credit for shareholders -- that can mitigate the difference in price. The credit of $50 on cruises of five nights or less, $100 on crusies of six to eight nights, $200 on cruises of nine to thriteen nights, and $250 on cruises of fourteen nights or more is (1) fully combinable with all other offers and deals and (2) reusable on as many cruises as you take. To get it, you just have to submit proof of beneficial ownership of at least one hundred shares of the common stock of the parent compnay, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. (NYSE: RCL), with your booking information (http://media.corporate-ir.net/media_...nefit_2005.pdf) after you confirm your booking. I ended up with $400 in shipboard credit for an eleven-night cruise aboard MV Mercury last month -- $200 for booking aboard a previous Celebrity cruise and another $200 for owning stock in the parent company. The offer is also valid on sister line Royal Caribbean International.

My sister and I cruise every Jan. or Feb. and we get a great price on Princess for $599, insider, double occup.
On special dates that I have chosen I usually pay approx. $800 for a 7 day cruise.

If you are that into bargains, check out the deals on Celebrity's transatlantic cruises. They often run in the range of $1600, single occupancy, for fourteen nights. Add $450 shipboard credit ($200 for booking aboard and $250 for owning stock) and it turns into an even better deal.

Norm.
Old April 6th, 2006, 11:04 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luci
I like sticking with the K-Mart specials of cruiselines. Carnival has a lot of K-Mart specials.
That's a concise way to put it for me too. If I can go to Panama or Alaska for $1000, why would I pay $2000? What more could these other lines offer to merit the extra cost ? The Carnival or HAL food and service is just fine with me, being extreme middle class. That's the way I see it. Someday the American rivers cruise on the Delta Queen Steamboat Company would be cool to do, but the prices appear to be expensive.
While I'm not a big TV viewer, I do fancy the Sherlock Holmes stories. " House MD" is supposedly based on Arthur Conad Doyle's work, So I'm hooked. This young roomate is becoming House's Dr Watson, perhaps.

/ticker.png">
Old April 7th, 2006, 02:52 AM
Passenger

Hey Thoth, there is presently a special on the Sun Princess, July 23rd, Alaska, roundtrip Seattle, for $799. I am thinking of booking it. VTG Singles will be booked on that date too but they are charging $1099. I can save money by booking on my own and then hang-out with the Singles outside of their private parties. They have a small group of singles so I would rather save some money if possible. Luci
Old April 7th, 2006, 10:59 AM
Yeoman

It's always nice when single cruisers chat online prior to a cruise to get acquainted and feel like old friends before sailing, and nicer still when they plan a get-together in the departure port the evening before.

By the way, I encourage everyone to arrive a day early for several reasons. You don't have to worry about making/missing connections if you are flying in the day of the cruise, and you have a chance to rest and relax before boarding. I can remember times when I would be up at 6 AM to make a flight and walk onboard later that day feeling frazzled and worn out. By arriving early, I find I also enjoy that all-important first night singles get-acquainted party much more than if I'm tired from a day of travel.
Old April 7th, 2006, 11:08 AM
First Mate

[quote="Thoth"][quote="Luci"]
. . . That's a concise way to put it for me too. If I can go to Panama or Alaska for $1000, why would I pay $2000? What more could these other lines offer to merit the extra cost ? . . ./quote]

In defense of TJs Fantastic Voyage they will have celebraties who will perform some shows, but that does still not excuse the large fee $2300 for 4 people in a cabin. I can get a suite with a balcony on a Carnival cruise and theres non-refundable $1000 deposit. There will be several people who will wake up in their own bed after this cruise and scream, "What did I do!!!".