Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 20th, 2006, 12:41 AM
Admiral

Default The only guarenteed way to meet singles at sea...

Book a singles cruise with a singles agency!

I can't belive how many people book normal cruises and then want to meet singles, this can be like finding a needle in a haystack, not impossible, but not that easy as the majority of cruisers are couples and family's. My advice check out Ann Cambells Singles cruise calender 2006 on this website for a list of many compaines to choose from and pick a "singles" cruise.

Vacations to Go singles and singlescruise.com are two of the biggest with hundreds of singles on their sailings.
Sponsored Links
Old March 20th, 2006, 06:19 AM
First Mate

Default Re: The only guarenteed way to meet singles at sea...

Showcat, not many singles research sites like Cruisemates to know that making a reservation with CFL, Single Cruises, Vacations to Go, etc. it up to us who are members to inform them about sites like this.
Old March 20th, 2006, 01:28 PM
Admiral

Showcat,

Book a singles cruise with a singles agency!

I can't belive how many people book normal cruises and then want to meet singles, this can be like finding a needle in a haystack, not impossible, but not that easy as the majority of cruisers are couples and family's. My advice check out Ann Cambells Singles cruise calender 2006 on this website for a list of many compaines to choose from and pick a "singles" cruise.

Vacations to Go singles and singlescruise.com are two of the biggest with hundreds of singles on their sailings.

Yes, but the flip side of the coin is that trying to find a potential mate through a "singles cruise" probably is about like trying to find a potential mate in a "singles bar." From a personal perspective, ladies with whom I would want to have a dating relationship probably would not be hanging out in those places.

Of course, your mileage may vary....

Or am I completely misreading the "singles cruises" sponsored by those agencies?

Norm.
Old March 20th, 2006, 03:07 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to eekmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
Yes, but the flip side of the coin is that trying to find a potential mate through a "singles cruise" probably is about like trying to find a potential mate in a "singles bar." From a personal perspective, ladies with whom I would want to have a dating relationship probably would not be hanging out in those places.

Of course, your mileage may vary....

Or am I completely misreading the "singles cruises" sponsored by those agencies?

Norm.
I've yet to be on a cruise... (My first singles cruise is upcoming this fall)...but I was under the assumption that the singles cruise agencies book a set of rooms on a normal cruise ship, and then organize many of their own activities around single people. (correct me if I'm wrong)

Whether you want to join in their activities and be able to "mingle" with all of the other single people....or whether you want to go off on your own and treat it as a normal cruise is completely your own decision. It's sort of the best of both worlds. (Kind of like being in a normal bar with a section devoted to single people...as opposed to being in a singles bar designed only for singles.) Am I wrong about this, or do I need to rethink my upcoming cruise?...
Old March 20th, 2006, 04:05 PM
Admiral

eekmd,

I've yet to be on a cruise... (My first singles cruise is upcoming this fall)...but I was under the assumption that the singles cruise agencies book a set of rooms on a normal cruise ship, and then organize many of their own activities around single people. (correct me if I'm wrong)

Whether you want to join in their activities and be able to "mingle" with all of the other single people....or whether you want to go off on your own and treat it as a normal cruise is completely your own decision. It's sort of the best of both worlds. (Kind of like being in a normal bar with a section devoted to single people...as opposed to being in a singles bar designed only for singles.) Am I wrong about this, or do I need to rethink my upcoming cruise?...

It probably would be more accurate to say that the singles cruise agencies arrange a few group activities including "get acquainted" sessions at the start of the cruise, but they might also get, for example, a block of tables at each sitting where members of group sits together at dinner in the dining room. The most significant difference between a "singles cruise" and a normal cruise is that the group will fill perhaps 10% to 20% of the capacity of the ship, which is a lot more than the normal population of single travellers.

Norm.
Old March 21st, 2006, 03:05 AM
Admiral

Norm, I have been on two singles cruises with two agencys. Some go on in hopes of finding their soul mate (usually women) some go on with the hopes of sewing their oats, and a wild spring break type experiance, meets girls gone wild video (usually men) most people fall some where in the middle, though I've seen women sew their oats, and men really fall for someone. Most just flirt , make friends and have a great vacation.

I've seen people quickly pair off into couples on the boat but after the fantasy of vacation is over I've seen it all fall apart.I've seen girls in tears after sleeping with the wrong guy. I've also seen beautiful friendships formed and my e mail box filled with well wishes from my new cruise friends, and future vacation plans being made withe them. 3 trips now!

A baby is on the way from one recent cruise romance. Unfortuatly the couple no longer is together, due to the stress and reality of the situation. So men and women take note there can be consequences to actions taken so becareful.

A singles cruise is not a guarentee of romance or a hook up. It does however offer activities throughout the duration of the week to meet and mingle, make friends, and possibly have a romance or a fling. People can lie, one must becareful and watch someone a while before they jump in. Is it like walking in a bar yes and no, you are with these people for more then a few hours, time enough to watch their behavior, and try to see if they are what they say they are, and if you really are interested.

One must be aware of the risks, of being lied to or being caught up in the moment. I had an excellent conversation with a DJ on a ship who understands that on a cruise it's a fantasy, world not the real world one must keep their feet on the ground while escaping reality. This is why I cruise for the experiance of traveling first, and doing fun shore excursions,making new friends and potential travel partners second, as for romance someone would have to prove themselves to me, as well as be what Im looking for at that time if indeed Im looking at all.
Old March 21st, 2006, 07:54 AM
First Mate

Showcat, you have a wealth of knowledge and a great power of observation only after a few cruises that is something I could never accumilate in my first cruise. Of course, after seeing and talking with my cruisemates I decided to keep to myself and enjoyed the cruise itself which I'm glad I did.

Though there were more women than men and people did attempt to pair off but since this was a 3 night cruise there were few successful get togethers. There were complains from the women about the lack of men at the tables and activities but I believe it was by choice of the men since there were few attractive women on this cruise.

As mention before being on a "single" cruise is a fantasy and people can be anything they want during the duration of vacation what matters is what happens AFTER the cruise. How unfortunate that a child was brought of this relationship, that is a big consequence of a simple cruise but it is good to hear that friendships have been made in some cruises.

Not to get on a soapbox but I am all for having ultimate fun on a cruise but you have to realize after the ship docks home reality comes in the for front.
Old March 21st, 2006, 12:14 PM
Yeoman

Norm.[/quote]

Aw, come on. Insinuating that women "hanging out" in bars are not the type a guy would want to have a dating relationship is so chauvinistic. You might as well say that women "hanging out" on singles cruises fall into the same category. Many, many nice women go to singles bars and not solely to meet single guys. They just don't want to hang out with other singles. . The same is true of singles cruises. To go on a cruise with the specific goal of meeting someone and falling in love forever and ever is unrealistic. But to go with the goal of meeting other singles, both male and female, in order to have a great vacation, is the purpose. Lighten up.
Old March 21st, 2006, 12:18 PM
Yeoman

The most significant difference between a "singles cruise" and a normal cruise is that the group will fill perhaps 10% to 20% of the capacity of the ship, which is a lot more than the normal population of single travellers.

Norm.[/quote]

The most significant difference between a "singles cruise" and a normal Cruise is that singles are guaranteed companionship for a variety of activities with other singles. They also usually get a better rate.
Old March 21st, 2006, 10:06 PM
Admiral

Pat,

Insinuating that women "hanging out" in bars are not the type a guy would want to have a dating relationship is so chauvinistic.

Not at all. Indeed, I doubt that sensible women would want to have a dating relationship with most of the guys who hang out in singles bars, either!

Norm.
Old March 22nd, 2006, 02:52 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Hagan Singles Editor
Aw, come on. Insinuating that women "hanging out" in bars are not the type a guy would want to have a dating relationship is so chauvinistic. You might as well say that women "hanging out" on singles cruises fall into the same category.

I don't mean to cause waves.. haha, get it! Cause Waves! But as a man who is ending a relationship with just this type of woman (the kind that likes to hang out in bars), I can honestly say that his is NOT the type of woman "I'm" looking for. It's ashamed that it took me 5 years to figure that out. Good thing no kids were produced as a result of this relationship.

I find it not hard to imagine that the number of singles cruising, who would be attracted to each other would be small. The competition amoungst the genders must be feirce? I would hate to subject myself to a singles cruise in hopes of finding my soulmate only to have her not notice me because she's checking out the dude with the 6-pack abs.

I don't think I'm ugly, but I don't see myself as the kind of guy who turns heads. That mixed with the fact that I'm sort of intraverted, puts me at the bottom of the list for these type of events.

I would like to see a site where, single cruisers chat, sort of like this, then meet on board, at least there is some sort of getting to know you period, but you're faced with the task of just trying to get in someones pants! Maybe that's just my way of thinking as I'm not the type of guy that likes just sleeping around..
RCCL Freedom : April 2012
CCL Destiny : April 2011
CCL Valor : September 2010
CCL Victory : March 2010
RCCL Adventure : September 2009
RCCL Monarch : March 2009
RCCL Mariner : September 2008
CCL Liberty : March 2008
CCL Valor : July 2007
CCL Celebration : March 2007
CCL Elation : March 2006
CCL Fantasy : October 2005
Old March 22nd, 2006, 03:44 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMG
I would like to see a site where, single cruisers chat, sort of like this, then meet on board, at least there is some sort of getting to know you period, but you're faced with the task of just trying to get in someones pants! Maybe that's just my way of thinking as I'm not the type of guy that likes just sleeping around..
Actually, when I booked my singles cruise @ singlescruise.com, they said that they do have a pre-cruise (message board, or chat room..can't remember which) that they'll be opening up before the cruise..and once it's open they'll be sending over the info. Also, this site serves the purpose quite well also!
Old March 22nd, 2006, 06:51 PM
Admiral

EMG,

I don't think I'm ugly, but I don't see myself as the kind of guy who turns heads. That mixed with the fact that I'm sort of intraverted, puts me at the bottom of the list for these type of events.

You raise a very significant point, but let me provide a little background before I comment further on it. The Meyers-Briggs Type Inventory (MBTI) is a psychological instrument that categorizes personality by a combination of four pairs of traits.

>> Extravert (E) or Introvert (I). This trait refers to where one recharges one's batteries rather than to one's social skills. An extravert would tend to go to the pub for a round with "the guys" after a very taxing day at work, whereas an introvert would tnd to go to his or her room for some solitude. In the data base of those who have taken the inventory, 75% are extraerts and 25% are introverts.

>> Sensing (S) or Intuitive (N). This trat refers to one's preferred method of perception. A sensing person perceives primarily by the five senses (touch, taste, smell, hearing, and sight) and tends to notice details, whereas an intuitive person has a "sixth sense" about things and tends to notice patterns. In the data base of those who have taken the inventory, 75% are sensing and 25% are intiitive.

>> Thinking (T) or Feeling (F). This trait refers to one's preferred method of making decisioos. A thinking person prefers to make decisions by reason, and thus will choose the most effective option even though it might legitimately offend somebody or bruise somebody's ego, whereas a feeling person will choose an option that will not offend or bruise egos even though it will be less effective. In the data base of those who have taken the inventory, this is the only pair or traits that exhibits a gender bias -- 75% of males and 25% of females are thinking and 25% of males and 75 % of females are feeling, for a 50%/50% split of the overall population.

>> Perceptive (P) or Judgemental (J). This trait refers to one's preferred method of functioning. A perceptive person will tend to collect as much information as possible before making decisions, whereas a judgemental person will tend to make decisions as quickly as possible based upon the information at hand. This may manifest itself, for example, in going for a ride with no particular destination in mind (perceptive) or always having a very clear destination in mind, even if one changes one's destination before one gets to it (judgemental), or in a house, garage, cellar, attic, office, or whatever that's invariably somewhat cluttered (perceptive) or utterly immaculate (judgemental). In the data base of those who have taken the inventory, this trait has a 50%/50% split.

The personality classification is the combination of all four traits, customarily designated by the letters indicated in parentheses. Thus, an "INTP" (which happens to be mine) refers to an introvert who is intuitive, thinking, and perceptive. In human relationships, studies have shown that similar traits provide channels for communication while opposite traits provide challenges for growth. If asked to make a decision together, two people with all four traits alike generally will reach a decision very quickly, but it might not be a good decision because they have neglected the opposite perspectives on the problem. Conversely, two people with all four traits opposed will come to loggerheads because they not only have completely opposite perspectives, but also have difficulty communicating. The greatest potential for personal growth actually arises when two people have two traits alike, providing channels for communication, and two opposite traits in whcih they challenge each other. Believe it or not, some colleges now use this instrument to identify compatible roommates when assigning students to dormitories!

Now, getting to your point, every cruise line has a unique personality that probably tends to attract people with certain traits. By way of example, introverts probably tend to gravitate toward Celebrity Cruises or Princess Cruises and that extraverts tend to gravitate toward Carnival Cruises or Royal Caribbean International among the major lines -- but it's probably more sophisticated than this. It would be very interesting to ask passengers on several of the major lines to take the Meyers-Briggs Type Inventory and examine, statistically, to see how skewed they may be relative to the general population -- and I suspect that some traits would be quite skewed. If my suspicion is correct, the lines that match our respective personalties are the lines where we are most likely to find potential soul mates.

It also would be quite interesting to have the participants in group cruises from varous singles agencies do the Meyers-Briggs Type Inventory to see how skewed they are compared to the general populaton. I could be wrong, but I suspect that over 95% of those who join in the group cruises would be extraverts, compared to 75% of the general population.

Norm.
Old March 23rd, 2006, 11:00 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by eekmd
Actually, when I booked my singles cruise @ singlescruise.com, they said that they do have a pre-cruise (message board, or chat room..can't remember which) that they'll be opening up before the cruise...and once it's open they'll be sending over the info. Also, this site serves the purpose quite well also!
That is very understandable but my point is; back in the day when I was a heavy AOL user (2.0 and 3.0 days), I would spend literally 6 or 7 hours a day in chat rooms after an 8 hour day at work.

The people in the chat rooms would, every so often plan a party; mostly in Vegas, or wherever someone with a big enough house could accommodate a weeked party type atmosphere for 15 or 20 people. Or even if no one could accommodate all of us, we'd rent hotel rooms and stay for the weekend.

We all kind of knew each other prior to meeting one another at the party, and the get to know you period would sometimes be months before the next party. What that "getting to know you" period did was make for a party atmosphere at the party, in my opinion.

Cruisemates is a great site and they do provide the type of atmosphere that I've described, difference being; it seems the provide that atmosphere for an older, married, or retired crowd. Not so much the type of crowd that would best suite me if I were trying to meet single people for companionship on a cruise.

With that said; I haven't been able to find a site where there is a younger cruising demographic, where we can chat, and kind of get to know each other prior to booking a cruise. I would imagine being able to chat with other 24-35 year old single professionals on a regular basis who are interested in cruising together would make for a heck of good time. As opposed to booking my cruise first, then 2 weeks before the cruise finally meeting the other people that just happened to book during the same time as me.

Old March 23rd, 2006, 11:09 AM
First Mate

Quote:
The Meyers-Briggs Type Inventory (MBTI) is a psychological instrument that categorizes personality by a combination of four pairs of traits.
I took this test not so long ago, I was an ISTP.
Old March 23rd, 2006, 03:58 PM
Admiral

I cruised with Vacations to Go singles recently and our chat room opened I think more then 2 weeks before we set sail. A lot of us chatted everyday and I did make some friends on the chat board that I hung out with on the ship, however I did notice that people lie on chat boards, one lady turned out to be a scam artist and tried to leave the pre cruise dinner without paying her bill, another was a drama queen who complained non stop for the entire cruise, making everyone want to stay far away from her, one guy was a verbally abusive troll who attacked people on line with rude statements.

So after this experiance Im not so keen on chatting before hand. I feel in person you can observe others better and really get a feel for who you like. If you shy and quiet you have to try to make a bit of an effort dinner is the best time as you can switch tables each night and talk to different people. Im very outgoing though so for me this is easy.

From a women's perspective a lot of ladies would love a guy who doesn't want to jump in her pants. This is why some of the most attractive ladies did not hook up with guys on a recent singles cruise. Nice guys don't always finish last. Women who have been on more then one of these cruises know the drill and know the pit falls of a fast and furious relationship. Others who are more desperate, naive my not care.

I think cruisemates is much better for talking to people as the site here is monitored better and rude statements are reported, plus it's just a great group of people here. Don't let some statements I've made discourage you from cruising with singles. The friendships I have formed on ships are still on going, and I send e mails and call my new cruise friends around the country. We are already making plans for future singles cruises together. So my advice is go, weather or not you chat on line, do the singles activitys, talk during dinner, and try to get to know people.

I like to give people I like my cabin number so they can call and leave me voice mails about what they are doing and so forth, then we make plans to meet for lunch a shore excursion or activity. I do find like minds attract on these cruises.

I have been prejudiced in the past thinking older people would not be fun, boy was I wrong! I simply adore some of the senjors who run circles around me energy wise. And have a mischievious fun streak. Ditto for some people who by looks I didn't think would have much in common with me, I was highly mistaken with a recent lady I shared a cabin with with, at first sight I thought we would have nothing in common, but we got along wonderfully she shares the same sense of humor and we have the same type of personality. Im thin, she is heavyset, Im single no kids, she is married with grown kids, yet it didn't matter we are now good friends. And though I have not met Mr.Right the most rewarding experiance of a singles cruise for me is the friendships I've made.
Old March 23rd, 2006, 04:09 PM
Admiral

Hey Norm can people be both?

I am very outgoing and extroverted yet I like to be a hermit in my spare time, I work with the public but like to stay home at night and curl up with a good book. I am the life of a party but I can also be at home alone on weekends. I find to recharge my batteries after working with the public I guess I prefer to stay home and relax but then some days I like to do something social like have dinner with a friend, go to a show.

Im also very intuitive and observant. I am a planner, I love to research every detail of an outing or trip, not a spur of the moment person. I am emotional and try not to hurt others feelings, yet I have been told I have blunt streak. A psychic once told me Im a weird mix of analytical and emotional I have to agree.
Old March 23rd, 2006, 05:30 PM
First Mate

Show.. I totally understand you're talking about however; I think there is a misintepreted definition of the word "Single" for instance; if I were to ever head to a "singles" bar, I would expect a bunch of single meaning not married men and woman, not; women who are married but their husband is at home, so they're at the bar single, as in alone.

I don't disagree that older people aren't and can't be fun. I can attest first hand to that, here's a couple pictures from the cruise I just came back from..

They had a great time but I doubt any of the younger ladies would have been hanging out with them after the excursion. Of course this wasn't a "singles" group, but I can imagine this is probably what it's like as far as age differences and the like.

It's not fair to say that some women don't want the same things guys want in terms of a one night stand, my wishful thinking is that maybe there would have been a place on the web where people with generally the same interest could meet BEFORE purchasing a cruise ticket because as it stands it seems like buying a singles cruise ticket is like playing the lottery, you never really know what you're going to get.

[/img]
Old March 23rd, 2006, 06:15 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMG
my wishful thinking is that maybe there would have been a place on the web where people with generally the same interest could meet BEFORE purchasing a cruise ticket because as it stands it seems like buying a singles cruise ticket is like playing the lottery, you never really know what you're going to get.
If your goal is meeting that "special someone" you could also say that a regular (non-singles) cruise is also like playing the lottery, except with worse odds due to the fact that there won't be nearly as many single people on board. Heck, going anywhere is a lottery as far as meeting meeting that "special someone" is concerned.

If you're spending such a large amount of money on any cruise (Single or non) with any type of goal involving meeting someone that you're planning on having any type of relationship with, you're probably setting yourself up for disappointment. That's why the realistic thing to do is to make your goals more along the lines of: Spending a week relaxing and catching sun and celebrating the fact that you're not stuck in an office behind a stack of papers. If you happen to be fortunate enough to meet someone there, it's just an added bonus. The fact that it's a singles cruise merely increases the odds of that happening.
Old March 23rd, 2006, 08:02 PM
Admiral

showcat,

Hey Norm can people be both?

No, but the inventory actually registers the traits on a scale that measures the strength of one's preference as well as the preference itself. A trat that is very weak may shift to the other side if one takes the test under a different set of circumstances.

I am very outgoing and extroverted yet I like to be a hermit in my spare time, I work with the public but like to stay home at night and curl up with a good book. I am the life of a party but I can also be at home alone on weekends. I find to recharge my batteries after working with the public I guess I prefer to stay home and relax but then some days I like to do something social like have dinner with a friend, go to a show.

This is actually a farily common point of misunderstanding of the instruement. An "Introvert" may be very outgoing and sociable and, conversely, an "Extravert" may well enjoy curling up in a quiet corner with a good book. This particular trait measures [i]where one derives one's energy[i], or where one recharges one's batteries, rather than one's interpersonal skills or one's comfort in solitude.

Im also very intuitive and observant. I am a planner, I love to research every detail of an outing or trip, not a spur of the moment person. I am emotional and try not to hurt others feelings, yet I have been told I have blunt streak. A psychic once told me Im a weird mix of analytical and emotional I have to agree.

There's also a relationship of the both sides of the central traits (sensing, perceiving, thinking, and feeling) to human development. I won't go into the complexity of determining which side of which trait is which because it's fairly complicated, but each individual develops one side of one central trait (called "dominant") between ages five and ten, one side of the other central trait (called "secondary") between ages eleven and twenty, the opposite side of the second central trait (called "tertiary") between ages twenty and thirty-five, and the opposite side of the first central trait (called the "shadow") between ages thirty-five and fifty. Note that the development of the "shadow" correlates very strongly with so-called "mid-life crisis" when many people make radical transformations in their lives and lifestyles. Thus, the fact that you would use two sides of a central trait is quite normal. Again, though, the inventory measures preference.

Norm.
Old March 23rd, 2006, 10:47 PM
Admiral

Default fascinating post

Quote:

Thus, an "INTP" (which happens to be mine) ....
Norm.
Correlating Myers-Briggs with cruising. Now that IS an intriguing concept which merits a thread in its own right. According to my books I too relate best to the INTP profile, but so it seems that many others who take the test become INTP as well. Problem is only 1% of the population is INTP, according to David Keirsey( himself an INTP) Perhaps the validity of the scientific rational has been compromised ? I dont't know
Anyway, how does this relate to cruising? For me it does. A cruise feeds both my preferences and gives me the rare opotunity to explore my opposite sides. On about day 2 of a cruise I lose the natural aloof introversion and can sucessfully play extrovert. On cruise ships I'm suddenly warm and gregarious and have no desire to debate anyone.
Of course much of a cruise provides the intellectual fodder a NT requires. Meeting "interesting" people, whales in Alaska, Panama Canal, Mayan Temples, and the engineering marvel of modern ships. It's the History Channel and the Discovery Channel at sea. Also it does seem that NT temperaments are always to be found on board, so Mr Spock can converse with other Vulcans, so to speak.

Read and post cruise reviews

/ticker.png">
Old March 24th, 2006, 12:01 AM
Admiral

Emg, a singles cruise is like a box of chocolates you never know what your gonna get to quote Forest Gump. But it does increase the odds of maybe meeting someone. No all women don't expect to meet Prince charming and some are more then willing to have fun fling, one nighter or seven nighter, just as some guys might want a meaning full relationship not a fling.

I do like to chat on line before the cruises and get an idea of the personalitys on board. I did find out the hard way that some people appear different on line then in person. Heck I love to discuss travel which is why Im always on this site! I do wish our singles forum would pick up more people then the small group of regulars we have, and people who just drop in and post one question and leave. So I guess it's up to us to put the word out on future singles cruises about this forum.

I think a vacation is sort of what we make it, I spend some of the time meeting familys and couples who were very nice, but over all I feel good having other singles to be my core group. Would I do a normal cruise, you betcha, if I had someone to travel with female or male friend, boyfriend, of family member!

I might even cruise solo in the future, (that is go alone on a normal cruise not a singles cruise) It might be a bit lonely on formal night, and odd during dinner( who would I eat with) but Im prepared to try it out because I love travel. I can mix and mingle or relax at the pool and be happy for the most part I think. When in a relationship with someone it's even better to share the experiances, with someone special; but if Im not Im not about to let life pass me by or miss an oppertunity because I haven't find the right person.

If you have other chat sites you visit and meet people from them then by all means let them know about cruising and singles cruises, maybe you can get people you know to book if this makes you feel more comfortable. You can also try to get your own group cruise started with people you know perhaps or book a cruisemates group cruise, or get them to join you on a singles cruise.

Don't let the guy with the washboard abs make you feel like you don't have a shot differnet people like different things, whats your will come to you they say. But as far as long term anyway it would be easier to pursue someone you meet in your local area as on cruises everyone lives some where else. So go for the travel experiance and to make friends which is actually how most people meet their mates, by being intoduced by a friend.
Old March 24th, 2006, 03:31 PM
Admiral

Thoth,

Problem is only 1% of the population is INTP, according to David Keirsey( himself an INTP)

More generally, each of the INxx types (INFJ, INFP, INTJ, and INTP) represent about one percent of the population in the data base. Nonetheless, the preferences of these types lead them to gravitate toward places and situations that would appeal to others with similar types, where one would be more likely to find a match.

Anyway, how does this relate to cruising? For me it does. A cruise feeds both my preferences and gives me the rare opotunity to explore my opposite sides. On about day 2 of a cruise I lose the natural aloof introversion and can sucessfully play extrovert. On cruise ships I'm suddenly warm and gregarious and have no desire to debate anyone.
Of course much of a cruise provides the intellectual fodder a NT requires. Meeting "interesting" people, whales in Alaska, Panama Canal, Mayan Temples, and the engineering marvel of modern ships. It's the History Channel and the Discovery Channel at sea. Also it does seem that NT temperaments are always to be found on board, so Mr Spock can converse with other Vulcans, so to speak.

Now, I'm really curious. In your experience, are some cruise lines a better match for you than others? If so, which ones are the better matches and why? Does it relate to your type on the Meyers-Briggs Type Inventory?

Norm.
Old March 25th, 2006, 03:40 PM
Admiral

Quote:
, I'm really curious. In your experience, are some cruise lines a better match for you than others? If so, which ones are the better matches and why? Does it relate to your type on the Meyers-Briggs Type Inventory?

Norm.
Hello Norm, you ask a very good question and after thought I can only answer with conjecture based on my own experiences and bias.
I can only compare Holland America with Carnival, being that Commadore has since become irrelvent. Interesting enough, Carnival's motto is "The Fun Ships" which to me sounds very SP. in fact the line was at one time considered a group of party ships. About a month ago I met people who sailed on the Legend who fondly recall the wilder party to dawn days and were outwardly disappointed with this newer Carnival. The Carnival ships are very much Extroverts compared to HAL. There are fewer places to hide and even fewer people hiding to a quit place. The outdoor Promenade has no deck chairs, for example. The way in which people dress is comparably SP ( casual, live and let live).
HAL's motto is " Tradition of Exellence" which to me means SJ, relatively speaking of course. That line attracts repeat cruisers becouse these people get the the same thing each time and expect the service to be polished, the colors conservative, bed time is 1130, and men will wear a tux when required. HAL in much more an introvert's line with plenty of places to hide and far fewer "mandatory fun" announcements over the loud speakers. The outside promenade deck not only has deck chairs they have bookreaders in them.
How does my type effect my cruise choices ? I choice a cruise based on the ports of call and what shore tours that I might take, so Carnival and HAL both have thier chances with me. There are however ports and itineraries which are more INTP than others. Progresso Mexico would seem to have little to offer Sensors but is the gateway to Chiten Itza and Uxmal, and the "real" Mexico. Other ports, are basically beaches and shopping( S-types) . Alaska for example, is very much a INTP destination in so many ways.
HAL might be more INTP simply becouse its itineraries offer more INTP destinations (relatively speaking of course). 8)

/ticker.png">
Old March 25th, 2006, 07:18 PM
Yeoman

I think a few of you need to forget a singles cruise and book some kind of group encounter cruise to discuss all your theories. This is supposed to be a fun message board, and a couple of you are getting reallllyyyy deep.
Lighten up.
Old March 25th, 2006, 10:47 PM
Admiral

Pat,

I think a few of you need to forget a singles cruise and book some kind of group encounter cruise to discuss all your theories. This is supposed to be a fun message board, and a couple of you are getting reallllyyyy deep.
Lighten up.

[Singing]
Happiness is... [Happiness is...]
Different things to different people,
That's what happiness is!

To the preacher
It's a prayer, prayer, prayer
To the Beatles
It's a "Yeah, Yeah, Yeah"
To the golfer
It's a hole in one
To the father
It's a brand new son.

To the beatnik
It's his beard, beard, beard
To the monster
Something wierd, wierd, wierd
To a night owl
It's a good days sleep
To the Yankee's
It's a four game sweep

On the desert
It's a drink, drink, drink
To the show girl
It's a mink, mink, mink
To the banker
Lots and lots of dough
To a racer
It's a GTO

To a sailor
It's the sea, sea, sea
To my mother
Why, it's me, me, me
To the birdies
It's the sky above
But, to my mind
It's the one I love

[/singing]

Okay, okay... I'll spare ya....

But deep discussions can be fun sometimes, too!

Norm.
Old March 25th, 2006, 10:57 PM
Admiral

Thoth,

I can only compare Holland America with Carnival, being that Commadore has since become irrelvent. Interesting enough, Carnival's motto is "The Fun Ships" which to me sounds very SP. in fact the line was at one time considered a group of party ships. About a month ago I met people who sailed on the Legend who fondly recall the wilder party to dawn days and were outwardly disappointed with this newer Carnival. The Carnival ships are very much Extroverts compared to HAL. There are fewer places to hide and even fewer people hiding to a quit place. The outdoor Promenade has no deck chairs, for example. The way in which people dress is comparably SP ( casual, live and let live).
HAL's motto is " Tradition of Exellence" which to me means SJ, relatively speaking of course. That line attracts repeat cruisers becouse these people get the the same thing each time and expect the service to be polished, the colors conservative, bed time is 1130, and men will wear a tux when required. HAL in much more an introvert's line with plenty of places to hide and far fewer "mandatory fun" announcements over the loud speakers. The outside promenade deck not only has deck chairs they have bookreaders in them.

You raise some fascinating points regarding the sensory/intuitive and judging/perceiving traits! I had conjectured out that Carnival probably would appeal much more strongly to extraverts and that Celebrity and Princess probably appeal more strongly to introverts. I'm also guessing that there's probably a strong thinking-feeling component related to the types of intellectual activities that some lines offer and others don't. I need to ponder this a bit more, but perhaps we're onto something. It might be neat to put together a computer program that would recommend cruise lines based upon the user's answers to questions that appear on the Meyers-Briggs Type Inventory. The need to optimize the selection for two people (typically a married couple) rather than just one might make such a project especially intriguing!

Norm.
Old March 26th, 2006, 07:52 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Hagan Singles Editor
Lighten up.
Sorry about that Pat !
Now back to Norm,
The lines play a F script for the guest, but are in fact are very T behind the facade. I could be wrong but I think that these ships are very much STJ worlds behind those " do not enter" doors.
Wayne ( my real name)

/ticker.png">
Old March 26th, 2006, 11:36 PM
Admiral

Wayne,

The lines play a F script for the guest...

That seems to vary from line to line. Celebrity seems to provide a very strong "T" component in the types of activities that they run, and especially in their enrichment lectures and such.

I could be wrong but I think that these ships are very much STJ worlds behind those " do not enter" doors.

That's probably very true aboard ship, though I suspect that there are some fairly strong NTP's back in corporate headquarters creating the vision of each line's product.

Norm.
Old March 27th, 2006, 02:50 PM
Admiral

Oh yea your right Norm. There has to be NT's or NF's out there who are the creative and marketing forces for these lines. Joe Facus or however it's spelled is the brains who create's Carnival' ships. He's got to be N ! On the recent Legend trip the ship's decor has classical mythology theme... very N.
At the same time I theorize that these ships are then handed over to the SJ types who run them like a well oiled clock. One day a week they debark 2000 passengers through customs and onto buses, then process 2000 more on and can then leave at 1600 hours or so for another week. Counting crew they must feed 3000 people around the clock for a week. The grand shows may be fun for the guest, but for the crew it's serious business. The security must keep strict order while not offending or upsetting anyone. The staff must take verbal abuse and keep their cool heads. The whole ship is spotless. I could be wrong but seems like only aTJ could pull that off.
The cruise director and his/her social directors most likely are very much people persons(F types). Last month I met a bright young man who had 7 years college in engineering but worked for Carnival as a events host becouse he loved people. How do they remember names so well ? Myers-Briggs likely plays a large part.
I know I must be talking in circles with my endless speculations. I love cruises becouse there are plenty of other NT's, Carnival passengers are SP and HAL attracts SJ, the social host and scripts are F's, ships are run by TJ's , but are designed by NT( or NF) . Clear as a muddle ! Sorry about that !
I've never taken Celebrity but they get high ratings from the so called experts. Berliz books seem to think they are clearly the best in mass market.
HAL on the Alaska cruises also included quit a bit of NT food for thought. Both times we had a nature lecturer and even had park rangers come on board in Glacier Bay. Compared to the Caribbean , Alaska does seem to attract a NT crowd. Whales, Glaciers, White Pass Railroad, Eagles, Native Americans, Russian history, nature hikes, and so on. I left with plenty to talk about ! Grand Cayman on the other hand is a very lovely and likeable Island, but outside of the water it offers a turtle farm and little else for me to explore. Cozumel has Tulum Mayan ruins nearby, but most of the other shore excursions are Sensor driven (beach parties, dune buggies, swimming). But then again...that's my take.

/ticker.png">