Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 3rd, 2006, 12:01 PM
First Mate

Default Tip for single men going on a single cruise

Here is a tip for single men who plan to go on an organized single cruise:

Invest in a tuxedo, on my last cruise I had so many single women impressed with my attire.
Sponsored Links
Old May 3rd, 2006, 10:37 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to eekmd

I'm certainly considering investing in one for my upcoming cruise. My only concern about that is being "overdressed" though, and standing out like a sore thumb among all the others. (I've heard that carnival is more casual than other cruise ships).

Is a tux ever considered "too much"
Old May 4th, 2006, 10:07 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by eekmd
A tuxedo is never too much on a formal night.

Though you don't have to wear a tuxedo it's a matter of preference, but when I was on a single cruise during New Year's (I was the only guy wearing a tux on this cruise) I have caught alot of attention from the single ladies. The other men wore dark suits which was great but there were men who wore open collared shirts which did match some of the gowns the women were wearing on the cruise.

Also during the formal dinner there were plenty of men wearing tuxedos who wanted to impress their wives or girl-friends. Unfortunately, there were also some men wearing no jacket or ties at the dinner.

If you want to catch a lady's eye it always good to impress her on formal nights. It's unfortunate that some men seems to lose the art of wearing something nice on formal night.

It took me awhile to finally get a tuxedo years ago but I found it worth at the many singles funtions that I attend in Washington, DC.
Old May 4th, 2006, 08:19 PM
Admiral

eekmd,

I'm certainly considering investing in one for my upcoming cruise. My only concern about that is being "overdressed" though, and standing out like a sore thumb among all the others. (I've heard that carnival is more casual than other cruise ships).

A tuxedo or dinner jacket would be too much on Oceana Cruises and on MV Paul Gaugan (both "resort casual" every night), on Windjammer Barefoot Cruises (shorts and T shirts every night), and on the lines that operate coastal vessels because those lines do not have formal evenings.

The proper attire for a formal evening on a cruise ship is "black tie" -- that is, a tuxedo or a dinner jacket. About three decades ago, some cruise lines adopted a modified dress standard that admitted dark business suits because most people who could afford cruises back then owned business suits but not tuxedos or dinner jackets. Now, the situation has changed -- society has gotten so casual that many gentlemen no longer own business suits, so they rent formalwear for the formal evenings. The result is that you'll see a lot more tuxedos and dinner jackets now than two or three decades ago. In fact, you probably will see more tuxedos and dinner jackets on the "mainstream" cruise lines because they draw proportiontely mroe passengers in this category!

Norm.
Old May 4th, 2006, 08:23 PM
Admiral

Beetlegator,

Here is a tip for single men who plan to go on an organized single cruise:

Invest in a tuxedo, on my last cruise I had so many single women impressed with my attire.

I concur with your thrust.

If one is buying formalwear specifically for cruising, though, a white or pastel dinner jacket might be a better choice than a tuxedo (always black) because most cruises are in warm weather (either the tropics or the summer season in the respective hemisphere) where it's proper to wear the summer formal attire.

Norm.
Old May 4th, 2006, 10:24 PM
Yeoman

Cruise lines always tell you how many formal nights there are. You can then decide just how formal you want to be. Personally, I don't think anyone can be over-dressed on formal night. After all, it's called "formal" night, right?
Old May 5th, 2006, 05:48 PM
Admiral

Pat,

Cruise lines always tell you how many formal nights there are. You can then decide just how formal you want to be. Personally, I don't think anyone can be over-dressed on formal night. After all, it's called "formal" night, right?

True, but there are degrees of formal. For gentlemen, a tailcoat would be excessive for formal evenings during a cruise because the prescribed attire is "black tie" rather than "white tie." The standards seem to be less rigid for ladies than for gentlemen.

Norm.
Old May 5th, 2006, 11:03 PM
Yeoman

True, but there are degrees of formal. For gentlemen, a tailcoat would be excessive for formal evenings during a cruise because the prescribed attire is "black tie" rather than "white tie." The standards seem to be less rigid for ladies than for gentlemen.

Norm.[/quote]
>>>>>>>>>>
I don't recall ever seeing any man in a tailcoat on formal night, and I would not think twice about it if I did. As for standards, who sets them?
Old May 7th, 2006, 01:20 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by eekmd
being "overdressed" though, and standing out like a sore thumb among all the others. (I've heard that carnival is more casual than other cruise ships).

:
I felt like that on Carnival recently. I had a black suit which looks like a tux and I was on the overdressed side even on formal night.

Read and post cruise reviews

Read and post cruise reviews
/ticker.png">
Old May 7th, 2006, 05:28 AM
First Mate

I felt like that on Carnival recently. I had a black suit which looks like a tux and I was on the overdressed side even on formal night.

Which is unfortunate, I have been to many black tie single events though I seen some dark suits with ties but no guys wearing collared shirts.

Getting back to the original post it about first impressions and if you want to impress a woman a tux is a way to go.
Old May 7th, 2006, 07:20 AM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlegator
[b]Getting back to the original post it about first impressions and if you want to impress a woman a tux is a way to go.
Beetlegator, I agree. Most women are impressed by a man wearing a tux. Think James Bond.
Old May 9th, 2006, 10:45 PM
First Mate

This is coming from a woman, wear a tux!!!! On my last cruise, I met a gentleman who had actually booked the cruise the day before and rented his. When I met him, I had no clue he had not much hair due to his hat. Did I think he looked better with his hat, yes, but once that tux went on I didn't even notice the missing hair.
My teenage son has his own tux and everytime we cruise he is always complimented and as his mom, he looks great and is never over dressed. I would much rather be with a man who is over dressed than under. I myself love wearing a gown, just because I rarely get the chance to dress up. I have been on Carnival, in fact that is where I met that man. So go buy the tux, I spent $150 on my son's and it was worth every penny!!
Old May 10th, 2006, 01:56 PM
Admiral

SmileHMB,

My teenage son has his own tux and everytime we cruise he is always complimented and as his mom, he looks great and is never over dressed.

Fantastic!

The experience of dressing properly for the occasion and participating in a formal evening is a fantastic learning eseperience for your son, too.

I really, really wish that we had more parents in our society who were as concientious as you obviously are in teaching proper social etiquette to their children. Our society suffers bacly for lack of it!

Norm.
Old May 10th, 2006, 04:38 PM
Passenger

I think I speak for most women when I say women are attracted to a 'sharp dressed man'. If the occasion is formal than a tux is not overdressed.
Old May 10th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Passenger

Some guys like to wear a white tux that makes them look great too.

You should only buy a tux if your weight is always stable. I have a guy friend who has stayed the same weight all his life.

I have an adult son whose weight goes up and down like a yo-yo. For those guys it is best to wear a nice suit. Don't waste your money.

YES, IT IS GREAT TO SEE ALL THE GUYS WEARING TUXS.!!! They look awsome!!!
Old May 10th, 2006, 09:39 PM
Admiral

Luci,

Some guys like to wear a white tux that makes them look great too.

There's no such thing as a white tuxedo. A "tuxedo" is a particular style of dinner jacket first introduced at the Tuxedo Club in New York, and it's always black. If it's any color other than black, including white, it's simply called a "dinner jacket."

You should only buy a tux if your weight is always stable. I have a guy friend who has stayed the same weight all his life.

I have an adult son whose weight goes up and down like a yo-yo. For those guys it is best to wear a nice suit. Don't waste your money.

I agree with your general thrust. Unfortunately, buying a suit carries the same perils -- it also won't fit if one's weight changes. If one's weight is not stable, it's generally less costly to rent formalwear for each occasion.

Of course, if one's weight goes up and down within certian limits, one can just buy the range of sizes as one needs them....

Norm.
Old May 11th, 2006, 05:21 AM
Passenger

Well.... in Las Vegas and in Hollywood I have seen custom made tuxs made in different colors. I love the black ones with glitter made out of silk material.
Old May 11th, 2006, 04:58 PM
Admiral

Luci,

Well.... in Las Vegas and in Hollywood I have seen custom made tuxs made in different colors.

Again, anything that is not black is not a "tuxedo." If it has the same style, it's a "dinner jacket." If it has tails, it's a "tailcoat."

Norm.
Old May 12th, 2006, 04:15 PM
Yeoman

Whatever.

If it looks nice, call it what you will, wear it, and have a great cruise and don't sweat the small stuff.
Old May 13th, 2006, 02:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

AMEN Pat! Norm has too much time on his hands based on his lengthy posts that nitpick words that other people use in their posts, i.e. "ship" vs "boat"; the strict definition of "tuxedo"; the shortened "Royal" for Royal Caribbean; and "RCI" vs "RCCL" vs "RCL"...C'mon Norm, reading your posts just aggravates me because you seem to constantly find fault with what people are saying. I, too, get annoyed by a lot of the misspellings and poor grammar out there but I curb my desire to correct them.

The way you flaunt your superior knowledge of everything is not in good taste, IMO.

I apologize if this is taken as a personal attack and hope that those who have been picked apart by Norm appreciate my support of them.
Old May 15th, 2006, 09:35 AM
Admiral

croozbabe,

Norm has too much time on his hands...

That would be nice!

posts that nitpick words that other people use in their posts, i.e. "ship" vs "boat"; the strict definition of "tuxedo"; the shortened "Royal" for Royal Caribbean; and "RCI" vs "RCCL" vs "RCL"...

Such imprecise uses of terminology lead to confusion at best and may lead to very difficult situations. In particular, reference to a "ship" as a "boat" is "fightin' words" -- a grave insult to the Captain and the crew of the vessel -- because the implication is that they have not maintained the ship in seaworthy condition. You seem not to comprehend the gravity or possible consequences of hurling this insult. It's even worse than telling a Sicilian that he's Italian or telling a Scotsman that he's English. If the response causes the death of the offender, it's considered to be justifiable homicide!

Norm.
Old May 15th, 2006, 11:46 AM
Cruise Maniac

Norm,

Please! Give me a break! The poster who calls a cruise ship a "boat" is not insulting the captain because the captain is not reading this. People who write on these boards just want an answer to their question; they are not looking to get criticized for using incorrect terminology. And besides, everyone who reads these posts knows what the poster means...
Old May 15th, 2006, 09:23 PM
Admiral

croozbabe,

Please! Give me a break!

Okay... Arm, leg, or neck?

Norm.
Old May 16th, 2006, 11:15 AM
Passenger

Default So... about the tuxes

Okay, okay........We all agree that men are more attractive when they dress in formal attire. I personally think that men look better in darker suits. Although in hotter climates a nice white suit can be very striking. But at night - a dark suit/tux if very stunning and sexy.
Old May 16th, 2006, 05:00 PM
Beginner

Default tuxes

Well, I think I will just bring lots of shorts on my next cruise, if I go. I must admit, Norm seems like an interesting person, even if he seems too picky. Oh by the way, I still need to get away, and quick!!!
Old May 16th, 2006, 10:51 PM
Yeoman

Norm, I know you mean well, and you are obviously an experienced cruiser, but given the negative comments your posts are receiving, I must say "Please lighten up." We don't want to drive any of our single cruiser-posters away. Thanks!
Old May 20th, 2006, 05:58 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to eekmd

Wow....we got a bit "off topic" here... . Anyway, I finally found someone to go "tux shopping" with me, and finally picked up the finished product yesterday. Now to try it all on....I can't wait for the cruise....*bounce*bounce*bounce*

Any tips on getting all of this formal gear packed for airline travel?..
Old May 20th, 2006, 08:32 PM
Familiar Face

Default Country Western Tux Attire

Hey Guys!

You can soften the "Tux" look in an an interesting way...which is what I have always worn on formal nights. Dressy...but not over the top....though maybe not on the QM2...

Tux Jacket with a white wing tip tux shirt....
A NICE Bolo/string tie...silver/turquiose...not a crappy one...
NEW black jeans and shined black cowboy boots.

I get more compliments on this attire than a plain tux....also offers a change for a second formal night...
NCL Spirit November 2006
HAL Rotterdam April 2007
NCL Spirit August 2007
Caribbean Princess May 2009
NCL Star RFamilyVacations July 2009
Carnival Glory July 2010
Old May 22nd, 2006, 10:41 AM
Yeoman

[quote="
Any tips on getting all of this formal gear packed for airline travel?.. [/quote]

I have found the best way to pack is to roll, rather than fold. With slacks I start at the bottom and roll up to the waist. With jackets/blazers I lay flat, fold the sleeves in, fold length-wise, then roll. But if anything gets too terribly wrinkled, like with formal wear, remember you can always give them to your cabin steward and request a pressing. It costs a few dollars but well worth not worrying about it.