Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 20th, 2006, 08:25 PM
Familiar Face

Default Dance Host Question

Hi All!

I am booked on my next two cruises as a Dance Host. Was curious to know from experienced cruisers...what qualities you like in dance partners and what "niceties" you appreciate. The agency gives us rules and guidelines to follow. I have recently served as a dance teacher on one cruise where I danced with many people when the orchestra played before the show and in the lounges.

I want to make my agency proud...make sure I use the correct ettiquette...stuff like that!

What can you tell me?

HLR
NCL Spirit November 2006
HAL Rotterdam April 2007
NCL Spirit August 2007
Caribbean Princess May 2009
NCL Star RFamilyVacations July 2009
Carnival Glory July 2010
Sponsored Links
Old May 22nd, 2006, 10:43 AM
Yeoman

Oh, that sounds like such fun. Please post here when you return and tell us all about it.

As for etiquette, etc., just be a super gentleman and seek out the wallflowers and ask them to dance. Be very conversational but keep topics light.

I hope others will post some suggestions, as well.
Old May 26th, 2006, 06:27 PM
Passenger

I have experience in dancing with a dance host. I didn't know he was a dance host until someone told me he was one. I said that I truly enjoyed dancing with him because he was such a gentleman. He would ask different gals to dance and then come back and ask me again to dance with him.
You don't need to beg a wallflower to dance. If she says, "no", then move on to someone like me who loves to dance. There will be some gals who truly want to dance. You will see them dancing in a group. It would be nice if you ask each of them to dance with you. If you see a gal dancing by herself just go up to her and start dancing with her. If she leaves the dance floor then move on and ask some other gal to dance.
You are soooo lucky to be able to be a dance host. You get to cruise all you want. Luci
Old May 29th, 2006, 02:09 AM
Admiral

I've never been on a cruise with dance hosts but I was in a country western bar where an older gentlman asked me to dance with him. I explained I don't know these country dances but they sure look fun, he said don't worry I will teach you. He was a very stong lead. He told me when to spin, grab his hand etc, he danced with me and made me look like I had been doing it all my life. We did sort of a country jitterbug style he flipped me up in the air etc, it was so much fun. I liked the fact he was a stong lead and a complete gentleman. I liked that he told me what he was going to do before he did it ,and told me what to do as we went. We actually had a crowd form around us of people watching that's how good we looked. Makes me want to go take dance lessons myself.

I work with the public and the most important thing is to really be interested and listen attentive with somone speaks, ask them some questions to get them to open up but nothing too personal. Of course never ask a lady her age I also try to get people talking about their favorite things such as hobbies, travel, pets, you know you hit the right subject when someone face lights up. Try not to talk about what someone does for a living, as much as what someone loves to do. Everyone has a passion. Weather it's sports, travel, shopping, their kids etc...

I give compliments but only when I really mean them. I don't flatter for the sake of flattering. I think when your honest it shows. I notice little things that make people unique, or show good taste. The color of their eyes, the nice tie they are wearing, their hairstyle, etc... But compliments on personality traits, or intellegence are to me even better then ones about looks. If you leave one person to move on to the next always say it was wonderful meeting you, I'll be back later, or I look forward to talking to you again, hope you enjoy your cruise etc.
Carnival Pride October 2006 (Mexican Rivera)
Carnival Legend 2007 (Western Caribbean)
Carnival Glory 2009 Western Caribbean
Carnival Liberty 2011 Eastern Caribbean
Norwegian Spirit 2011 Western Caribbean
Carnival Miracle 2012 Southern Caribbean
Carnival Breeze 2013 Exotic Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Valor 2014 Southern Caribbean
Old May 29th, 2006, 02:24 PM
Passenger

I liked my dance host soooo much that I wanted to pack him in my suitcase and take him home.lol. Luci
Old May 29th, 2006, 02:51 PM
Admiral

I felt the same way about my ships piano player Lucy!
Carnival Pride October 2006 (Mexican Rivera)
Carnival Legend 2007 (Western Caribbean)
Carnival Glory 2009 Western Caribbean
Carnival Liberty 2011 Eastern Caribbean
Norwegian Spirit 2011 Western Caribbean
Carnival Miracle 2012 Southern Caribbean
Carnival Breeze 2013 Exotic Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Valor 2014 Southern Caribbean
Old May 29th, 2006, 08:30 PM
Passenger

Hey, Showcat.... you made me laugh.... that is good.
My dance host was a little old man and I fell in love with his gentlemen qualities. That is something that is really lacking in todays times.

Maybe you and I should advertise, "Looking for gentlemen companions to dance with and have fun laughing together". I don't ask for much.lol.
Plus..... they must love cruising. Luci
Old May 30th, 2006, 08:58 AM
First Mate

I was talking with a gentleman who did a Gentleman cruise host briefly which was 2 cruises and had to quit because the women were too jealous. He constantly had women come up to him saying he was playing favorites with other women and threating to report to the organization who sponsors them. He also said he was constantly watched by this women and his room phone messages was constantly on. Most of the women didn't understand that the men could not play favorites. For instance, he said you can't dance with the women more than twice.

He said he would never do it again, I have to agree with Pat you have to be a Super Gentleman to be a Cruise Host.
Old May 30th, 2006, 12:21 PM
Passenger

I think the best thing to do is not say that he is a dance host. I didn't know I was dancing with a dance host until some gal told me.
He should say he loves to dance and to cruise. He should also say his girlfriend had to work and couldn't make it to the cruise.
It is not fair if the cruise-line makes it public that he is a dance host. The director of dance hosts should be discreet. If a gal goes to the front desk and asks if there is a dance host available the front desk should say they will check up on it and find a dance host for them. Otherwise it should not be made public.
Most male dance hosts do get bored with the job eventually. Some of the men are super older men who can hardly dance.lol.

I would also disconnet the telephone during sleeping hours. He can carry a walkie-talkie with him in case of an emergency. Cell phones don't work on the ship.

Once the gals find out you are the dance host you should tell the greedy gals that you have to be fair and dance with everybody. Each gal will take their turn. I would even do a Dance Card like in the old days and write down the gal's name on it. That would be the fair thing to do.

I am just brain storming in trying to help. Luci
Old June 6th, 2006, 08:49 AM
First Mate

Hi Luci,

It's all great ideas, but it depends on the policy of the Gentlemen Host. Maybe the men have to let the women know that they are Gentlemen Hosts.
Old June 6th, 2006, 10:24 AM
Yeoman

With all the current interest re. dance hosts, read my article in the Cruisemates archives titled "Dapper Dancers Wanted! Men Only!"
Just go to the search area and type in the title.

Some of you will be surprised to learn that these guys actually have to pay for their cruise! A nominal charge, but they don't get to cruise for free.

As for someone's suggestion that the dance host should not admit that's what he is, the ones I have seen are all wearing identical blazers/coats, as well as name tags with the ship's name and/or logo. This, of course, sets them apart from regular passengers. Besides, if they didn't divulge their profession the ladies would think they are looking for romance--which they aren't supposed to be, as you will read in my article.
Old June 17th, 2006, 04:12 AM
Passenger

Default Suggestions

HLR:

Here are my suggestiosn for dance hosts (My friends and I have tons of experience with them on several cruise lines).

1. At dance classes, instead on picking just one lady (there will always be extra ladies) go through with the routine (or step) with as many ladies as you can so that each one has an oppotunity to practice with a partner.

2. Do not play favorites and give equal attenditon to all women regardless or age or race. Remember that younger ladies and minority may wanna dance (and may know how to dance to).

3. Do not try to pick up women or hit on women, and if you meet someone you like, keep that private (for your non-dancing hours)

4. Enjoy it. It may not be a perfect dance technically, but it can still be fun and enjoyable.

5. Try to remember the names of the ladies you dance with.

Cheers.
Old June 18th, 2006, 11:35 AM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luci
I think the best thing to do is not say that he is a dance host.....It is not fair if the cruise-line makes it public that he is a dance host. Luci
Cruise lines are obligated to identify someone as a crew member. Besides that, many women traveling alone--or with girlfriends (especially the more mature) book on a ship specifically because there are dance hosts onboard. They want someone to dance with.
Old June 18th, 2006, 11:41 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalbi
HLR:

Here are my suggestiosn for dance hosts
Cheers.
Dance hosts go through extensive training before they are hired. They have their own set of rules and guidelines they must adhere to.
Old June 18th, 2006, 12:17 PM
Passenger

Kalbi wrote:

Here are my suggestions for dance hosts
Cheers.

Pat responded:
Dance hosts go through extensive training before they are hired. They have their own set of rules and guidelines they must adhere to.

Pat://////// He did ask for suggestions as to the qualities we would like to see, and these are qualities that I do not always see that I personally would like to see.

Am I missing the point? Do you think that these are not valid suggestions? OR.... maybe that if these suggestions concern issues overlooked in their "extensive training" that they are meritless? I am not sure I get the point of your point.
Old June 18th, 2006, 03:39 PM
Passenger

Hi Kalbi, I totally liked your suggestions. I didn't see anything wrong with your suggestions.

One more point I would like to make to the new dance host. Sometimes the dance lounge is empty because everybody went to bed early so you do not have too many gals fighting over you. Yes, there are nights when the dance places are empty.
I have seen it. Especially the discos on the Princess ships. Luci
Old June 19th, 2006, 10:21 AM
Yeoman

Quote:
Kalbi wrote:

Am I missing the point? Do you think that these are not valid suggestions? OR.... maybe that if these suggestions concern issues overlooked in their "extensive training" that they are meritless? I am not sure I get the point of your point.
Your suggestions are valid and certainly there might be issues overlooked in training. My point is that it would be useless to suggest anything to a dance host working on a cruise ship if you expected him to follow that suggestion then and there. Any changes in his manner, behavior, etc., would have to be cleared through the cruise line, as he has received extensive training and required to adhere only to what he has been instructed. You can still make your suggestions, of course, and if they are something he feels would be useful he can certainly pass them along to his superiors and gain approval, if appropriate.
Old June 19th, 2006, 01:07 PM
First Mate

Those are only valid suggestions if you are NOT a dance host but a man who love to dance with women but also looking for that someone special.

I would assume that Pat is right that Gentlemen Host are part of the cruiseline crew and must make themselves known to the ladies. As Pat also mention they do go through training on how to make the female guest very happy otherwise they will not be a Gentleman Host for very long.

It seems to me one of the qualifications of being a Gentleman Host is not to play favorites and have a love of dancing and a love of being in the company of all types of women.
Old June 19th, 2006, 10:27 PM
Passenger

Default I'm lost

There are areas in which dance hosts fail despite being trained, areas in which the reaining oculd be improved, and there are parts of their training they ignore (or forget) when the powers that be are not around. I have seen them scrambling sometimes when the cruise director comes into a room and they were not following their house rules.

Remember, the original poster said: "The agency gives us rules and guidelines to follow." Nonetheless.... he also asks "what qualities you like in dance partners and what "niceties" you appreciate." My answers reflect his specific request for information. I am suggesting to this HLR guy things (qualities and niceties) I PERSONALLY appreciate in a dance host based believe it or not on things I have seen and experienced through the years.

Beetlegator, if my suggestions are not valid to dance hosts due to the fact that it is not coming from the dance hosts' "extensive training" then maybe the moderators should remove this thread altogether or maybe Pat should have told HLR that his initial post is pointless. However, to the extent this guy asked for suggestions and this post remains, I feel justified making suggestions. Now whether these suggestions will be used or not, that's another story altogether.

Happy sailing!!!
Old June 20th, 2006, 07:00 AM
First Mate

Default Re: I'm lost

Kalbi, you post are most welcomed no need to censor.

It depends if the cruiseline follow the rules for the Gentlemen Hosts. You can't hide human nature if one of the hosts finds one of the ladies attractive and wants to romance her I have no problem. Unfortunately, the "Green-eyed Monster" turns his or her ugly head and someone may drop a dime to the cruise director who will have a talk with the host for breaking the rules.

I couldn't be a Gentleman Host because of this.
Old June 24th, 2006, 02:05 AM
Passenger

Default Hi

Beet, you wrote:

"You can't hide human nature if one of the hosts finds one of the ladies attractive and wants to romance her I have no problem. Unfortunately, the "Green-eyed Monster" turns his or her ugly head and someone may drop a dime to the cruise director who will have a talk with the host for breaking the rules."

I am happy for any dance hosts (or anyone) who finds romance. However, finding romance does not change a dance host's obligation to dance with unaccompanied women and to not play favorites. Therefore,, if a gentleman host dances only with his new girlfriend, it is not fair to unaccompanied women, who may have chosen that cruise line or cruise simply because there were gentlement host.

And jealousy... yes possible.......... but not from me. 99% of the male hosts I have met were twice my age or more.
Old June 24th, 2006, 12:51 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Hi

Quote:
Beet, you wrote:

" 99% of the male hosts I have met were twice my age or more.
All of the dance hosts I have seen onboard appear to be in their 60s or older. Younger men are still working their day jobs. After all, the dance hosts do not cruise for free. Read my article in the singles section.