Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 16th, 2006, 02:28 PM
Passenger

Default What is the best way to meet other singles?

I will be the only single person traveling in my group in Jan, so what is the easiest way to meet other singles?
Old June 16th, 2006, 03:45 PM
Passenger

January is mostly an older crowd on cruise ships. But if you are a single gal all you have to do is go up to a group of single guys hanging out at a pool bar and just starting talking with them. I have done that and became fast friends with guys.
If you are young and a pretty gal.... the guys will find you. The male staff will treat you extra special at the dinner table and bring you extra food or give you whatever foods you are craving.

ALL CRUISE SHIPS HAVE A "Single Mingle" almost every day. You need to be there on time in order to meet your Ship Host. Otherwise, the host will leave right away and you will be left looking for them and not find them.

Another place to meet singles is at the favorite hang-out of people who love to dance. Just start dancing by yourself and some guy will most likely join you. Sometimes groups of singles will come up to you and dance with you for a while and then move on. I am a mature gal so one day I just got up and started dancing by myself and a group of young gals came and danced with me for awhile. Another time, a handsome guy just came up to me and started dancing with me. We had fun dancing the whole night.

Another time, I met some people and I asked if anybody liked to dance and a nice gentleman said he would meet me at the dance floor that night and we danced the whole night.

On my last cruise.... the word got around that there was a single gay guy that was buying drinks for anybody that got near him at his favorite bar hang out. He was cruising alone. A friend told about him so I went up to him just to talk with. After a few days he made friends with a group of gay guys. He was sooo happy to find a group of friends to hang out with.
Some single guys have learned that if they hang out at a bar.... a single gal will go up to them and just start talking to them. If the guy buys them a drink.... then the gal will hang out at the bar with him.
I like to watch people so I noticed a single guy show his wallet with his I.D. on it to prove to the pretty young gal that he was who he said he was. He even told her to look at his money in his wallet and she did. I think that is a low-class thing to do but it worked for the single guy.lol. The gal stayed with him at the bar. He was a nice guy and I knew him. But it was funny seeing him in action. The guy is not handsome but rich so he used his money to get the gal to stick around and it works for him. I really think that is funny.
I think next time I cruise alone I plan to ask the Singles Host to be on the look-out for single guys for me. They notice who is single. It is their job to keep people entertained. You can also hang out with them when you see them on the ship and just talk or dance with them if you see them at the night-clubs.
I once sa a handsome military guy hanging out by himself.... so I went and started talking with him. I asked him if he was traveling alone and he said ",No", that his wife was not feeling well (sea-sick). We had fun talking and then I said, "Let's go to the CHOCOLATE BUFFET. He said, "Okay" and we had fun. He took some candies back to his cabin for his wife.

Cruise staff guys and gals are OFF-LIMITS but I still hear about gals going for a ride in a car in a port with some staff guy. That is a "no, no", but I don't think it is enforced because what happens in port stays in port.lol.

The most important thing is to find compatiable people to hang out with and look to see if they are single. Just have fun with everybody. I have done that many times and made great friends on the ship. Even with married couples. Luci
Old June 16th, 2006, 10:55 PM
Yeoman

Cruise Dreamer: You say you are the only single person in your "group." Will you be expected to dine with them? If not, ask the Maitre 'd to seat you at a table with other solo travelers.

Another suggestion: If there is not a singles-mingle party scheduled, ask the Cruise Director to schedule one and offer to help.

You can also ask at the excursion desk if any singles have booked, then join them.

And, of course, the pool bar is usually where singles gather during the day and the piano bar (if the ship has one) before dinner.

And yet another suggestion: Check the embarkation photos when they are posted. Sometimes--but not always--you can spot those people traveling by themselves, then keep an eye out for them around the ship. But be careful, wives/husbands/significant others aren't always in the photo.

Good luck...and have a wonderful cruise!
Old June 21st, 2006, 02:09 PM
Passenger

I want to thank the two of you that replied. I now have a few more ideas for how to meet some people. Plus I still have a few months to prepare for the cruise.
Old June 21st, 2006, 03:13 PM
Passenger

Default January ??

Hi cruisedreamer,
Exactly when in January are you going? 3 females and myslef will be on the Imagination Jan-20th, leaving from Miami.
Old June 21st, 2006, 11:28 PM
StephenAGoreJr

I have been with my parents a lot so I obviously go by myself and meet people. I became friends with about 15-25 people and still talk to most of them today and am going on a cruise in november with a bunch of them on the freedom. THen i went to spring break with just a girl who i was friends with. we split up and i met over 50-60 people. I even met my girlfriend on the 2nd night. We hooked up and ended up living in the same state. We just broke up so that will always be a memory on a cruise that hurts but trust me its the easiest place ever to meet people.
Old June 23rd, 2006, 04:51 PM
Passenger

Default Re: January ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS
Hi cruisedreamer,
Exactly when in January are you going? 3 females and myslef will be on the Imagination Jan-20th, leaving from Miami.
I am going on Jan 6,2007 on the Carnival Triumph, though I have been on the imagination years ago.