Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 25th, 2006, 09:03 PM
Yeoman

Default Calling all Texans for weather advise!!

I am thinking of cruising in the month of early February with VTG Singles.
How is the weather in Galveston in that month? Will there be lots of rain, winds, super cold weather?
I come from a mild weather city in Calif.

Should I spend the night in Galveston or Houston before I board the cruise ship? I hear traffic is bad going towards Galveston because of having just one road. Is that true?
What are some nice hotels located in Galveston?

Feel free to answer just one question.lol.
Sponsored Links
Old July 26th, 2006, 01:25 AM
Admiral

Just ask Romeo or someone on staff at Vacations to Go these questions since they are based there! Or close to there.
Carnival Pride October 2006 (Mexican Rivera)
Carnival Legend 2007 (Western Caribbean)
Carnival Glory 2009 Western Caribbean
Carnival Liberty 2011 Eastern Caribbean
Norwegian Spirit 2011 Western Caribbean
Carnival Miracle 2012 Southern Caribbean
Carnival Breeze 2013 Exotic Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Valor 2014 Southern Caribbean
Old July 26th, 2006, 05:05 PM
Yeoman

Hey Showcat, I want to meet the Texans. I want to talk with them.
Old July 27th, 2006, 07:05 AM
Admiral

Angelgirl, great idea why not put this post on the chit chat for cruisers forum it gets a lot more hits then the singles forum here.
Old July 27th, 2006, 11:02 AM
Yeoman

Hey Showcat, any news on your friend booking?

Great idea about posting on the other forums. I plan to do that.

Our gal friend will be returning from Alaska this coming Sunday.

We need to make final payment for the Carnival Pride in the second week of August. Then we can all chat on our private message board. Yea!
Old July 27th, 2006, 04:13 PM
Admiral

My friend is supposed to book tomorrow. I will give her a call today. Our message board opens in August then? Can't wait to hear about how the Alaska cruise went as well.
Old July 27th, 2006, 05:55 PM
Beginner

I went on the Ecstacy in mid-Feb. 2005, leaving Galveston there was a bit of a chill and any time the ship was moving it was cool but tolerable. Cozumel was in the 80's but the water itself was rather cool, or I was just wimpy. BUt it was fun checking out the Island. In Playa, I went to Xel-Ha and that was fun and the water was nice...................chillinfool
Old July 27th, 2006, 06:07 PM
Beginner

As far as traffic, the cruise leaves on a Sun., so traffic should not be an issue, especially in Feb. I have been on 2 cruises out of Galveston and only back up was around downtown Houston itself.

For lodging, there's lots of choices. The Strand area is popular, which is the old downtown part of Galveston, but there's several nice and more affordable hotels on the beach. But flying in a day before and staying there would be your option.

I am considering that cruise also, but I'll be driving down from the Dallas area the day of the cruise since it's only 4 1/2 hours from me.

Let me know if you have any questions...................
Old July 27th, 2006, 07:41 PM
Yeoman

Hi Chill, thank you so much for your weather advise. I am planning to stay one night in Galveston. VTG is having a pre-cruise party so I plan to attend the party in Galveston. It is always safer to get there one day early in case the weather is bad, the airport/airplane has a problem, traffic to Galveston, etc.
Can you tell me if there are hotels near the cruise port? I would like to stay at a hotel near the ship. Or, a nice location close by.

What street is the cruise port located or pier number? Angel
Old July 28th, 2006, 11:22 AM
Beginner

Hi Angel,,,There are several hotels near the cruiseport, The Tremont in located in "the strand," the historic area adjacent to the port but it is a bit pricey. I've known several people who have stayed at the Ramada Limited, which is close, and I believe they have a shuttle to the pier.

All the ships use the same Pier off of 25th St. At the most there's only 2 ships in port at the same time so it's easy to find.

Galveston.com is a pretty informative site. As long as you stay near the north end of the island, a cab ride to the port won't break you.

Has VTG announced where the pre-cruise party is? Also, does VTG set up a board for all the people to chat before the cruise?

Have a good weekend,,,,,chillin'
Old July 28th, 2006, 02:21 PM
Yeoman

Hi Chilin, thank you for your info. it is very helpful.

Vtg will have a message board set up for us as soon as we do final payment. We make final payment three months in advance so we have all that time to get to know eachother. We also can post our photos. We even post photos of our pets.lol.
Some singles even go visit other singles before the cruise once they meet on the message board. Isn't that interesting?

The VTG party will usually be planned at the last month before the cruise. But since VTG is located in Houston, Texas they already must have chosen a place to party. They know their home area well.

When you get ready to book the cruise.... ask for Ashley. She is a new agent and is always available to answer any questions and to book your cruise. Romeo & Dixie are also very helpful too and experienced.

My roots are in Texas since the early 1900's. My great grandfather was a sheriff in Victoria. I presently have relatives all over Texas.
I love the cute accents of Texans.lol.
I have lived in California for many years.

We will be having Valentine Day on the cruise so I am guessing some of the guys will be buying flowers for some of the gals.
Maybe we should pack some Valentine cards to give to eachother.
We can make some cute remarks on them.

I am looking foreward to this cruise already. Talk to you later. Angelgirl
Old July 28th, 2006, 03:06 PM
Beginner

Hi Angel,,,Thanks for the info. The message board sounds like fun. That is interesting about people meeting before the cruise, almost defeats the purpose of a singles cruise!lol

I'll definantly ask for Ashley when I get ready to book.

I'm actually from the midwest but moved to Texas in '85 and now have spent half my life here so I guess it's home,,,,and no, I don't have an accent, or at least I don't think so! But my daughter, who was born here, has one, funny how that works!

Yes, I realized Valentine's Day will be on the cruise, the cruise I went on in '05 we spent V-Day in Cozumel, but obviosuly that relationship didn't work out or else I wouldn't be interested in a singles cruise! But the Valentine's cards are a cute idea!..........................Chillin'
Old July 28th, 2006, 08:25 PM
Yeoman

Hi Chillin, I am looking foreward to meeting you on the cruiseship. You will have a blast!!! I will too. I plan to have fun, fun, fun.

You will get to see my photo on the vtg yahoo.group website. I have a great one to post.
We most likely will be talking about the Valentine cards on the message board. Angel
Old August 13th, 2006, 05:27 PM
Beginner

I'm thinking of doing the VTG Valentine's cruise also!
I live in Houston and the weather here in Feb. is usually very sunny and mild. Barbecuing in shorts weather. I think last year was a bit unusually cool, but that's not the norm.
Traffic is not really bad to Galveston from the Hobby Airport. Be sure to book into Hobby as it is MUCH closer than Geo. Bush Intercontinental. The taxi drivers know a short-cut to the cruise terminal also.
Let me know if you have any other questions!
Esther
Old August 14th, 2006, 02:26 PM
Yeoman

Hey ESTHER, Have you been to the Madi Gras in Galveston? It starts this coming year on Feb.7th. The ship leaves on Feb. 11th. Would it be a problem finding a reasonable priced hotel in Galveston on Feb.10th?
Old August 14th, 2006, 03:04 PM
Beginner

I never attended a Mardi Gras in Galveston, but I would amagine by Sunday night, most all the visitors would be on their way back home.

Check out galveston.com for a listing of all the hotels. Most of them are on Seawall Blvd. with views of the Gulf.

I think the Ramada has a shuttle bus to the pier for cruisers.