Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 14th, 2006, 02:13 PM
Yeoman

Default Warning...LAX...Los Angeles airport!!

Hi Everybody, I live in Los Angeles and LAX has already closed down one runway to fix it. It will take almost a year to fix it. Meanwhile... there will be many delays at the airports. For example; if you are flying in from Chicago.... LAX will tell the airport to hold up all the planes until they have space for the airplanes to land. It will become a habit of airplanes flying in circles until they are able to land at LAX if there is a problem at LAX.

It is best to fly into Long Beach Airport even if you have to change over to a different airline to fly into Long Beach airport. Talk to a travel agent to plan it for you. Jet Blue airline flys directly into Long Beach from JFK. There are other airlines that fly into Long Beach too.
All of our cruiseships are located near Long Beach. Carnival ships are located in Long Beach near the Queen MARY Ship.
Princess ships and Royal Carribean ships are located in San Pedro city which is located next to Long Beach city. It will be real easy just to take a supper shuttle from the airport to the ships in San Pedro or Long Beach.
Try to avoid LAX if possible. If not able to do that..... then you should try to arrive one day early for your cruise. Cruise ships are in the habit of leaving on time because if you don't make it on time they don't care because they already have your money paid for the cruise. They don't do refunds ever if you miss the boat.... unless they decide to leave the port early. I have heard of ships doing that to avoid a hurricane.
It is also important to buy cruise insurance in case you miss arriving on time. You can fly to the next port to meet up with the ship. That is a real hassell.
Good luck on arriving on time for your cruise ship.
Sponsored Links
Old August 14th, 2006, 07:39 PM
Yeoman

Thank you so much for posting information that will be so important to many cruisers.
Old August 14th, 2006, 09:14 PM
Yeoman

Hi Pat, even today we had a problem at LAX with Alaska airlines.... where a airline stewardess found something suspecious on the airplane. It stopped travel and all passengers were interrogated by the FBI. It turned out to be something harmless but it took 5 hours before passengers could leave the airport and the airplane could leave.

Plus, LAX has been having a strange problem with a electrical problem that makes it hard for the control tower to keep track of airplanes. That happened today too and last Tuesday too. It creates a real danger for airplanes to land or take-off. We have been lucky that nothing bad happened during those times.

I plan to avoid LAX from now on even if it costs more to leave out of Burbank/Bob Hope airport near my home. I changed a airline ticket the minute I found out about the LAX news of closing down a run-way.
Old August 15th, 2006, 03:02 AM
Admiral

What is wrong with the "broken" runway??

Celebrity Constellation November 2010

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!
Old August 15th, 2006, 08:25 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Warning...LAX...Los Angeles airport!!

Angelgal,

Thanks for the important information, even though I will not be going to LAX this year I did in May and it was very helpful. I would not been a happy man if I missed the cruise just because I wanted to save money on a hotel.
Old August 15th, 2006, 09:53 AM
Yeoman

Hi Guys, the run-way just needs to be repaired due to old age and cracks in the run-way. They also most likely want to make it more modern and useful where airplanes can see the run-way better. They said it would take 8 months to repair. I am guessing one year to repair because when it rains it pours and work has to stop. Plus, the workers will work normal and not rush it. That's the American way of doing things.lol.

I consider LAX just like Disneyland lines for the rides. There is a line to check-in and get your boarding pass/gate number, a line to have your luggage go through security, a line to go up the escalator where you have to show your passport or I.D. and boarding pass before getting on the escalator, then the security line where you take off your shoes, jewelry, jacket, glasses, etc. and put them all in boxes to pass through security. A line to buy fast food to take on the plane since planes don't provide food anymore. Final line is boarding the plane where security can choose to check you again if they please. "Whew". It can be stressful.

P.S. I always buy my air tickets on-line and also print my boarding pass but I still have to go through all those lines because I have luggage and have connecting flights. I have to make sure their computers have all my info. correct. Plus, they have to weight my luggage. The check- in lines are shorter at the kiosk machines.
Old August 20th, 2006, 08:37 AM
Yeoman

The lastest news on LAX is that because people are not carrying bags into the inside seating areas of the planes..... the planes have been leaving on time due to people getting into their seats a lot faster. Yeah!

But they say in the news that LAX has a lot of old equipment that is falling apart and needs to be replaced. This means that if an electrical part goes out at the air control center... the airplanes can't land or take off for approx. 45 mintues.

I will keep you all informed on the lastest news on LAX.