Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 22nd, 2006, 05:40 PM
Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to cj_one2000
Default How far in advance?

Hey y'all, I'm going on a cruise with my sister in a couple of weeks, which is great but I'm consider sometime in late 2007/early 2008 about booking a singles cruise. How early (how far in advance) can you book a singles cruise? I'm from Alaska so airfare is always more expensive so I don't want to spend more if booking in advance costs more.

Let me know what you think...
Sponsored Links
Old August 22nd, 2006, 07:42 PM
Yeoman

Once you see a cruise posted on Cruisemates' Singles Cruise calendar, you can book it. If it is way in the future--like next year--you might ask the agency if they will give you a refund if prices go down. However, I just updated the calendar and I see that several prices went up since the original posting.
Old August 22nd, 2006, 08:38 PM
Admiral

Do book your cruise in advance! Singles cruises never seem to go down usually up, so book ahead of time or you could risk a sold out cruise.

Make sure you book directly with a singles agency not the cruise line or you won't be included in the singles group.

Also you can book your airfare later, this gives you a chance to see how the prices are for the city your cruising from and hunt for deals. Again I wouldn't wait too long cause the best flight times can sell out.

I also reccomend getting travel insurance on both your cruise and airfare so incase of emergency your covered. I like to fly in to port a day or so in advance cause I've found when I fly and cruise the same day Im too tired to enjoy the ship. Costs more for the hotel but worth it, as you can see the local sights if you have time.
Carnival Pride October 2006 (Mexican Rivera)
Carnival Legend 2007 (Western Caribbean)
Carnival Glory 2009 Western Caribbean
Carnival Liberty 2011 Eastern Caribbean
Norwegian Spirit 2011 Western Caribbean
Carnival Miracle 2012 Southern Caribbean
Carnival Breeze 2013 Exotic Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Valor 2014 Southern Caribbean
Old August 22nd, 2006, 08:50 PM
Beginner

Thanks ladies--good advice! I think I'm going to try and get some girlfriends to go with me--especially ones who haven't cruised because they definitely need to go out more! I'm in Alaska so, I'm not sure if I'll ever get "great deals" on airfare, period....but I guess you never know. Insurance is a good idea (didn't book it for our upcoming cruise) if you are scheduling things way in advance and I will take you up on that advice.

Ciao chicas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by showcat
Do book your cruise in advance! Singles cruises never seem to go down usually up, so book ahead of time or you could risk a sold out cruise.

Make sure you book directly with a singles agency not the cruise line or you won't be included in the singles group.

Also you can book your airfare later, this gives you a chance to see how the prices are for the city your cruising from and hunt for deals. Again I wouldn't wait too long cause the best flight times can sell out.

I also reccomend getting travel insurance on both your cruise and airfare so incase of emergency your covered. I like to fly in to port a day or so in advance cause I've found when I fly and cruise the same day Im too tired to enjoy the ship. Costs more for the hotel but worth it, as you can see the local sights if you have time.
Old August 22nd, 2006, 11:50 PM
Yeoman

Hi Clara, here is my advise based on my own experiences with cruising.

First of all...... Showcat gave you some great advise.

1. It is okay to book way in advance that way you can get a mid-ship cabin that is considered the best area to be in. Next best is aft near the elevators.

2. When you reserve your cabin make sure to ask for your cabin number and reservation number.... that way you can see for yourself where the cabin is located and you will also know that the ship received your cruise deposit.

3. Don't BUY Cruise Insurance until you make final payment for your cruise.
You could change your mind about cruising so if you buy your insurance way in advance you will not get your insurance money back. They don't like to return insurance money.

4. Ask your agent what date is the date you can cancel if you change your mine and still get a full deposit back. Most of the time it is 70 days before final payment.

5. Once you make final payment it will be hard to make changes because you will be confirmed. Some cruise-lines don't like to make last minute changes. But you never know what can be done unless you ask your agent to check it out for you. Some agents are great at making changes for you.

6. Try to find just one friend to cruise with you. That is all you will need on a Singles cruise because both of you will be making lots of friends.

7. I know you will have a blast on any Singles cruise... so have fun, fun, fun, and enjoy having the time of your life.

What Cruise Ship and date.... are you thinking of going on?
Old August 23rd, 2006, 02:21 PM
Beginner

Default Not sure

Not sure about the cruiseline/ship/date yet. I was thinking maybe sometime in late fall/early winter 2007.
Old August 23rd, 2006, 02:44 PM
First Mate

I like to book my cruise 6 - 8 months to a year if possible since I am willing to pay the single suppliment. If you like to room with someone 1-3 months is fine.

Another tip: Unless you want a quick get away book a 7 day or more cruise, on a 3 day cruise you have no time to know all of the singles you want to know.
Old August 30th, 2006, 06:02 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlegator
Another tip: Unless you want a quick get away book a 7 day or more cruise, on a 3 day cruise you have no time to know all of the singles you want to know.
>>>>>>>>
Beetlegator may have a point regarding time to get to know all of the singles you want to know, but remember the longer the cruise the older the passengers tend to be, because they are either retired or have accrued more vacation time. The younger crowds go for the shorter cruises, especially a long holiday weekend.
Old August 30th, 2006, 06:06 PM
Yeoman

[quote="Angelgal"]
1. It is okay to book way in advance that way you can get a mid-ship cabin that is considered the best area to be in. Next best is aft near the elevators.

>>>>>>>. I disagree about being near the elevators. On one cruise my cabin was close by, and I was awakened in the wee hours by the party-hearty night owls. I like to get as far from the elevators as possible.