Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 30th, 2006, 04:02 PM
Yeoman

Default Finding a cabin mate to avoid single supplement

I would love to hear opinions from people who have found a stranger online to share a cabin with in order to avoid the singles supplement and have also been paired with a stranger on a singles cruise by the agency sponsoring the cruise. Which turned out the best?

Also, if you found your cabinmate online, what criteria did you use in making the decision to share with that person?

Thanks for all your input.
Sponsored Links
Old September 17th, 2006, 06:37 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to danielkelley

I am retired, straight, DWM, 63 n/s, n/d been there; done that; twice.

first time) met a first-time M cruiser onboard after LOTS of email, IM and phone calls. He in LA, me in FL. I flew to him for the cruise (Mexico from LA) to lessen his anxiety about 1st cruise and to accomodate his disabiility - he needed a cane to walk. We had a ball - we were together/apart as we decided at the time, which I think is appropriate. I shared my past cruise experience with him and tried to enrich his cruise by pointing him to things, which he did, that he might not have found on his own.

second time) met an very experienced F cruiser. We did a face-to-face meeting at Sea World Orlando for a weekend, shared a motel room, did the park, etc. before we commited to a cruise. My take on online matches it that there is risk in both directions. We did photo exchange and lots of phone calls before we ever met on Orlando. We did Seattle and Alaska in style, in spite of her having a cast on her lower leg, applied the Tues. before we departed Fri. Maybe she should have canceled? She in SC, me in FL, I arranged my flights to I met hers in ATL, and we were together from there until we returned to Seattle 10 days later. I even pushed her wheelchair through Butchart Gardens in Vistoria!

I'm still looking for new cabin mates - and I accept that there is a risk. I am sensitive to the risk the other person assumes as well. I send pictures, profuse emails, IM, phone calls, you name it! and try to go the 80% to help the other person feel OK. I just want to share a cabin - I appreciate that you do too. I believe that my age, and theirs, helps - both of my matches were over 50 and I was over 60. I would not accept a 20-something; I'm sure we would both be disappointed!

I'm a firm supporter of the process of finding a cabinmate online. I'm carefull and advidse others to be cautious. With a good person and a sensible approach, it WILL work well.

I really regret that there is not a more refined, certified way to find a cabinmate. What a business that would be! For $10, we'll open our researched share mates for your contact. But be aware that we will research you the same way before we give you the keys to the rooster/hen house.

I have no pairing-by-others, and I don't want any.

Thanks for asking!
Dan Kelley
danielkelley@netscape.net
Old September 18th, 2006, 03:11 AM
First Mate

Sharing a cabin involves a lot of risks mind you this is the person you will be sharing your space with as stranger for a great length of time so trust is the first concern.

Why trust? Because there is usually one room safe per cabin and you have to put your money and passports in it.

A person have to share personal space because your cabin is an extended home and your cabinmate is a guest and visa versa.

When looking for a cabinmate to save money on a cruise you should be upfront with that person who will be your roommate. Such as asking if he/she snores, drinks alot or plan to bring in a male/female guests in for the evening though asking those questions will discourage he/she from being your roommate. A risk you still should take.