Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 28th, 2006, 08:25 PM
Passenger

Default Two Canadian girls going on their first cruise !

Hi folks !!!! We desperately need some feedback. We are two single girls aiming to go on a singles cruise. Both of us have zero travelling background, so this is all new to us. Maybe you can help us out.

Does it make a difference actually going on a singles cruise as opposed to just going on a cruise that isn't a group for singles ?

Could you tell us some good and bad experiences you have had on a singles cruise ?

Easy to make friends/acquaintances on a cruise ?

The various islands you go to ......... do you do your own thing, or is an itinerary planned for you ?

We want to fly to Miami, spend a night or two there partying....then head to the cruise. We are thinking Western Caribbean......but are open to any suggestions on feedback.

Please help !!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Old October 28th, 2006, 11:10 PM
Passenger

Default To Cruise or not to cruise

"Maybe you can help us out". Perhaps. <G>

1) Does it make a difference. Perhaps no, Perhaps yes. Generally it does make a difference if you are going on a singles cruise but I'm not 100% on what type of difference you are looking for. I'm assuming that you want to meet single people. If so, than I would say yes. (IMO) There is a difference in meeting singles on a regular cruise vs. a singles cruise.

2) The good/bad/ugly/the, what the ?????. All of the previous but it's what you make of it. Hopefully other people will chime in.

3) Easy?!?. Vell, back to 2.

4) It depends on what company you go with and the itinarary and .... I have been on cruises where nothing was planned outside the ship and on cruises where there were excursions. The only planned itinerary you would have, would be on the ship. There may/may not be a get together the night before the cruise. There may/may not be organized shore excursions.

If you have not found them yet:

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/single/

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/firsttime/

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/...06calendar.cfm

Rogue
Old October 28th, 2006, 11:46 PM
Passenger

We are going to take a singles cruise, most definitely. I'm excited !!!! I've never been anywhere !!!! There are just so many to choose from. There is one in April we are leaning towards. I've been to two travel agents......and both have me so confused. They have both asked me questions as to what kind of cruise ? what kind of room ? what islands ? Heck !!!!! There is a lot more to this than what I expected. I just thought I would go in, say, " I want to go on a singles cruise in this particular month, here's your $$$$$". What kind of rooms do you folks recommend ????
Old October 29th, 2006, 12:00 AM
Passenger

Default PPPPPSSSSTTTTTT

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/firsttime/

PPPPPPSSSSTTTTTTT. (C Above) <G>

That was fast.

Vhat, kind of room. Vell, it depends on what you can afford.

Essentially, there are 3 different kinds (I'm sure I'm going to get flamed on this one).

Inside cabin. Outside cabin. Balcony.

Inside cabins are inside the ship. They do not have a porthole. They are good if you like to sleep in.

Outside cabins are on the outside of the ship. They usually have a window or porthole to see outside. Good if you are a morning person that gets up at the crack of dawn.

Balcony. They are on the outside of the ship just like the outside cabins but with the addition of a balcony that you can go outside and sit.

All three comes with different classifications but that is generally the gist of it.

The below link is a link to singles cruises for the rest of the year and some/most /part of 2007. There are links to the singles companies that are hosting that particular cruise.

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/...06calendar.cfm

" I want to go on a singles cruise in this particular month, here's your $$$$$".

This would be your answer to the above question.

The trouble now is which one. <G>
Old October 29th, 2006, 12:06 AM
Yeoman

go to cruisecompete.com -- I wish I had known about it before buying my three cruises elsewhere!

*sits back and waits for Dave to jump on the new girls* (big grin)

Carnival Legend, Thanksgiving, 2006
Old October 29th, 2006, 01:16 AM
Passenger

Who's Dave ? Maybe Dave can help us Canadian chicks find our way.

Thank you Roguebkpkr and gwydiana for your feedback and directions to various websites. Greatly appreciated !

Which do you folks find more entertaining?: being on the cruise itself or visiting the various islands.
Old October 29th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Admiral

Once Dave the Wave finds you, he will most definetely show you the way. Ask him to show you his seashell collection. He is a real scream, you will love him. Bob
Old October 29th, 2006, 05:57 PM
Passenger

Seashell collection ? Sounds fishy to me !!!!! Now did he go deep-sea fishing for these shells.......or was it found in pure shallowness ? hehehehe
Old November 1st, 2006, 01:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

Ok, here I am.... I have not been on an organized singles cruise yet but everytime I have gone, there have been lots of singles onboard. Last November, there were groups of girls in packs of 20, 12, and 3's and 4's. There were also a number of single guys, myself included. It is not at all hard to meet people. Hang around the pool bar and in the disco. The piano bar is also good.

My trip in May, I actually met some Canadian girls who were alot of fun, aye, that I still stay in touch with via email and IM. I found one of them to sing "Paradise by the Dashboard Light" with me.

April is a great time but May 20th on the Mariner of the Seas from Port Canaveral will be even better!! 8)

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old November 1st, 2006, 01:36 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Two Canadian girls going on their first cruise !

CdnGals,

I think you will do fine on any cruise, just use common sense read past post on Cruisemates and have fun.

Be it far from me to tell what two adult women should do on a cruise ship or anywhere else for that matter because each person and events are different.
Old November 1st, 2006, 01:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

PS, yes I found most of my shells in the shallows. I do like diving too though....

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old November 2nd, 2006, 01:11 AM
Passenger

Finding seashells in shallow waters can be just as exciting ( if not more ).....than going into deep waters looking. hmmmmm.......is anyone else reading between the lines here also, or is it just me ?!?!?!?!?!?!

Yes, two single Canadian chicks will be let loose somewhere in the deep ( or shallow ) waters in April !! Can't wait !
Old November 2nd, 2006, 05:43 PM
Yeoman

I like organized singles cruises better because nowadays there are too many families onboard. On a singles cruise you are assured of having people to hang out with. Nothing is worse than being surrounded by Grandmas and Grandpas and children and grandchildren for a week.

You ask which is more fun--being onboard or visiting the islands? Well, I'm usually ready to get off the ship for a change of scenery, but there have been times I've stayed onboard the whole cruise. It depends on the ports. Plus I have been to about every one there is in the caribbean and after a while it's the same old thing--tee shirts, jewelry, liquor, etc... and if you go in the summer it is so hot. I'd much rather stay onboard. But once you get involved with your singles group you can decide which you'd rather do. Some of the singles agencies have their own shore excursions.

By all means check out the Cruisemates singles calendar as well as all the articles in the singles section, and if you have any questions, either post here or email me. I'm always glad to help...and so are the other singles posters on this fun message board.
Old November 3rd, 2006, 07:23 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Hagan Singles Editor
. . . You ask which is more fun--being onboard or visiting the islands? Well, I'm usually ready to get off the ship for a change of scenery, but there have been times I've stayed onboard the whole cruise. It depends on the ports. Plus I have been to about every one there is in the caribbean and after a while it's the same old thing--tee shirts, jewelry, liquor, etc... and if you go in the summer it is so hot. I'd much rather stay onboard. But once you get involved with your singles group you can decide which you'd rather do. Some of the singles agencies have their own shore excursions. . .
That is another good reason to go with a singles organize cruise if you see most of the the ports and done most of the excursions it's always good to meet different people on each cruise.
Old November 4th, 2006, 12:56 AM
Passenger

I have a ton of questions......some of them you all may think are silly. Are towels provided near the pools ? Do you have to reserve a table daily for dinner ? How dressy do you get for the dinners ? What are the average prices of cocktails ? What time do the bars stay open until ? Is bottled water available readily ? Do you get maps and suggested excursions for each island you go to - or do you have to do the research before the trip ? How do you tip ?

Sorry, but because I'm an amateur traveller........I have no idea what to expect !
Old November 4th, 2006, 10:43 PM
Admiral

If I was you, I would ask Dave the Wave when his next cruise is and join him for all of the fun. He could show you a really good time and get you a really good introduction to what cruising is really all about. Bob
Old November 6th, 2006, 09:52 PM
Admiral

You will be assigned a dinner table same every night unless you do a specialty restaurant, towels are provided in your stateroom for the pool, each night in your Cruise Compass you will be given a recommended dinner dress (casual, formal, smart casual, ect...), bottled water is available in your cabin, domestic beers were $3.00, 16 OZ for $4.25, bar brand drinks, $4.25, calls $5.50, foo foo drinks more, drink of the day $4.25 all plus 15% gratuity but drinks were more than doubles, very good. Bars open until 2-3 depending on the bar and ship. Disco is the last one open. You will get a book of all availble excursions before you cruise to choose from. As a first time cruiser, I would suggest booking through the ship.

You can find a lot of useful (and useless) information here before you go. Read reviews of the ships you consider. You will have the best time of your life!!

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old November 8th, 2006, 01:17 AM
Passenger

Thanks everybody for your input !!!! Greatly appreciated. I think we've narrowed it down to the Carnival Valor cruise, April 1, Western Carribean. We're going to go to Miami for a couple of days beforehand. If anybody is from the Miami area........care to take two chicks around ???
Old November 8th, 2006, 03:45 PM
Admiral

Maybe I could make a special trip.... My sister lives near South Beach.

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old November 10th, 2006, 01:23 AM
Passenger

That would be awesome !!!!!! It would be so much nicer to be with someone who knows the area.........to take us to all the hot-spots !!!!
Old November 18th, 2006, 02:01 PM
Passenger

There are pros and cons to going with a singles group. But, I know singlescruise has a cruise april 1st out of Ft Lauderdale, and its going to be a big group. I plan on going myself. I will know after the thanksgiving cruise. Some of the things I like about the singlescruise, we will meet at an hotel two days prior. Party by the pool all day, then go out at night. They book there excursions through a company that will have only people from your group on the trip. Usually, we book beach parties and such. Were white water rafting in costa rica. There are always people to party with. You can still meet people outside the group, but its nice to know people. They block off a chunk of the dinning room, and you can sit at dinner with whoever you like. They organize cabin crawls, which are basically roaming rooms and drinking. Some people bring great little sterio systems. A fun person or group always attracts other people, so we have always had people kinda join us on deck and hang out with us. But there are three open bar mixers, which are private to the group. I dont work for singlescruise, and may not always like them, but the trips are fun. Thanksgiving will be 4, april will be 5. If you like I can send you info to get to a ton of pictures from previous cruises, not the lame ones from the site.
Old November 19th, 2006, 01:17 AM
Cruise Maniac

Cdngals,

You will have fun and there are actually quite a few Canadian women and I guess men as well that cruise. Honestly I have met some very nice Canadian women on cruises.

BTW, another option is to book using Cruise Complete on the exact sailing as one of the singles groups and you will meet a lot of them onboard. Since this is your first cruise you may actually enjoy being part of the group just to see how it all goes and you will learn a lot. The people who are part of the group do tend to hang around each other a lot and they have an opportunity via a private board to start chatting before the cruise. Best of luck and have fun.
Old November 19th, 2006, 12:55 PM
Passenger

I know that it is 4 months away, but, my friend and I are sooooooo excited !!!! We are going to fly to Miami on the Friday - spend the weekend in Miami......then get on the cruise Sunday ! Can't wait !!!! The travel agent recommended that we stay in the Art Deco (whatever that is ?!?!?! ) area in Miami....mainly because I had mentioned that we want to go clubbing and have a "real" experience of Miami. We are going to book this ourselves. I've looked and looked at various hotels in the Art Deco area.......goodness - expensive or what !!!!!!
Old November 19th, 2006, 02:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdngals
I know that it is 4 months away, but, my friend and I are sooooooo excited !!!! We are going to fly to Miami on the Friday - spend the weekend in Miami......then get on the cruise Sunday ! Can't wait !!!! The travel agent recommended that we stay in the Art Deco (whatever that is ?!?!?! ) area in Miami....mainly because I had mentioned that we want to go clubbing and have a "real" experience of Miami. We are going to book this ourselves. I've looked and looked at various hotels in the Art Deco area.......goodness - expensive or what !!!!!!
Miami is very expensive especially South Beach. I stayed at South Beach for a work related conference once and was shocked how expensive it was for everything. I am older than you but I prefre Fort Lauderdale over Miami but al of people like that Art Deco area.

Have fun
Old November 20th, 2006, 01:21 PM
Admiral

Girls, please be careful in Miami. I don't want to see your story on the next episode of CSI Miami. They already had one episode aboard a cruise ship there. South Beach is cool but like someone else said, very expensive. There are also some hotels that are nice near the port.

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old November 26th, 2006, 07:28 PM
Passenger

We'll play safe......promise.
Old December 4th, 2006, 10:50 AM
Passenger

Thank you everyone !!! All of your tips, hints and suggestions are very helpful. All the research I've done thus far on Miami - well, ca-ching !!!! Maybe I'm looking at all the wrong things.......but, it looks like it is going to be quite expensive. Oh well. Departing the wonders of snow and entering sunshine........priceless !
Old December 9th, 2006, 11:23 PM
Passenger

I have a question to ask.......and please don't think this is silly !!!!! When we arrive at each island and are doing excursions that involve being in water i.e. - swimming with the dolphins, stingrays, parasailing etc., .......what do we do with our Passports ????? I know, I know......I'm an amateur traveller.....but I have zero clue on this one.
Old December 10th, 2006, 11:30 AM
Yeoman

Quote:
I have a question to ask.......and please don't think this is silly !!!!! When we arrive at each island and are doing excursions that involve being in water i.e. - swimming with the dolphins, stingrays, parasailing etc., .......what do we do with our Passports ????? I know, I know......I'm an amateur traveller.....but I have zero clue on this one.
Leave your passports in your cabin...in your safe, if you have one. All you need for reboarding is your boarding pass. Always take that with you. They won't let you disembark without it, anyway.
Old December 10th, 2006, 02:04 PM
Admiral

Greetings from Texas from Dave the Divemaster

Gals:

Passports, phones, keys, etc. can be stored in waterproof pouches, examples to be seen at

http://www.waterproofcases.net/wallet1.html, etc.

or in small hard cases with o-rings. That said you likely will not need this if your clothes etc. are in lockers or your bag is on the parasail boat.

A word of advice for you Canadian partiers - keep water with you as you are headed into a hotter climate and alcohol dehydrates.

Have a fun vacation! 8)

Quote:
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas